News:

• April 24, 2024, 02:06:25 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Recovering with SLC over old silkspan?  (Read 1229 times)

Offline frank mccune

• AMA Member
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Recovering with SLC over old silkspan?
« on: May 27, 2015, 03:10:52 PM »
     Hello:

It is time to recover my circa 1966 Magician as the tissue and dope wing covering is getting a bit fragile.

Can I use SLC directly over the old silkspan or should I remove the old tissue and start again?  Of course, the easiest way would perhaps just buy Moneycote and recover the wing with it.  Question! Will an iron on stick to the old covering that has been subjected to a bit of exhaust residue? Would it stick to afresh application of Balsarite or should I plan on removing all traces of the old silkspan and starting anew with a new covering? It will be an iron on!

Tia,

Frank

Offline frank mccune

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
Re: Recovering with SLC over old silkspan?
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2015, 03:28:20 PM »
    Just had a brainstorm. Remove all of the old covering in the open bays, slather Balsarite in the perimeter of the wing, iron on new covering and be happy! Will this work?

Tia,

Frank

Offline David Ruff

• 2018 Supporter
  • Commander
Re:
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2015, 07:20:37 AM »
Yes.  Rip off the silkspan and sand.  Apply Baslarite and cover with Ultracote or Solartex.  I just did that.  Took about two hours.
Retired Army

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here