News:

• May 10, 2024, 04:11:36 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Head Bolt Torque?  (Read 1292 times)

Online Dennis Saydak

• 23 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain
Head Bolt Torque?
« on: May 26, 2015, 02:49:59 PM »
What's the proper torque setting for Super Tiger head bolts?
Just when you think you're getting ahead in the rat race.....you find the rats just get faster! MAAC 13120L

Offline Phil Krankowski

• Admiral

Online Dennis Saydak

• 23 supporter
  • Captain
Re: Head Bolt Torque?
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2015, 05:23:26 PM »
Thanks for your reply Phil. I had to install a head gasket in my engine and while I was at it I replaced the stock head bolts with socket head bolts. I have a Wheeler FAT torque wrench which I used to tighten the bolts. First I progressively used the wrench to tighten each bolt until the new head gasket stopped leaking air. Then I tightened each bolt 1/4 turn more. The result was a perfect seal with awesome compression. I couldn't have done the job without my torque wrench though. Unfortunately I didn't record the torque setting but if I need to ever do it again I can always use the wrench to determine the current setting and go from there.
Just when you think you're getting ahead in the rat race.....you find the rats just get faster! MAAC 13120L

Offline Phil Krankowski

• Admiral
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2015, 06:38:24 PM »
That's a well thought out process.  Did you run it yet?

Phil

Online Dennis Saydak

• 23 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2015, 01:55:32 PM »
It's missing a venturi and NV assembly. I got it from a friend's estate sale and it was missing these parts. Otherwise, it's in perfect unused condition. Not sure what I'm going to do with it though as I have plenty of other engine choices.

Offline frank mccune

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2015, 05:53:38 AM »
     Hi Dennis:

I have a question.  Why did you tighten the head bolts one quarter of a turn more after the gasket stopped leaking?

Stay well,

Frank

Online Dennis Saydak

• 23 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2015, 07:26:12 AM »
     Hi Dennis:

I have a question.  Why did you tighten the head bolts one quarter of a turn more after the gasket stopped leaking?

Stay well,

Frank

Extra insurance for a proper seal. Also to prevent any small leakage that I missed.

Offline Bill Johnson

• 2016 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2015, 10:07:05 AM »
Determining proper torque without manufacturers guidance is always a tricky proposition. You have to know the size, thread pitch and grade of bolt. Then you have to know what the material is it's being threaded in to. Next is whether the torque is applied with threads wet or dry (with oil).

I have 6 different specifications for applied torque for any single fastener based on application. In the end, I did the same thing you did, Dennis. Saturday I put together a couple Enya 15s and torqued the screws until the head stopped leaking plus about 1/4 turn per screw.
Best Regards,
Bill

AMA 350715

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here