News:

• April 25, 2024, 03:12:26 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Soldering Iron  (Read 2076 times)

Offline Dennis Toth

• 2020 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Soldering Iron
« on: May 24, 2015, 08:00:51 PM »
I had to fix a locations of the uniflow line in my Ringmaster. I had picked up a large tip solder iron a Weller SP-80 from a sale table at the local hobby store for $5. This is a great soldering iron heats up fast. Lots of heat and big tip. Easily heated the tube solder and finished the job. Good little tool.

Best,   DennisT

Offline FLOYD CARTER

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • owner
Re: Soldering Iron
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2015, 02:43:36 PM »
For tanks, I now use a small butane soldering iron.  Remove the copper tip and you have a nice little butane torch!
89 years, but still going (sort of)
AMA #796  SAM #188  LSF #020

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2015, 03:08:57 PM »
I am like Floyd, I use a mini torch I got from Radio Shack to remove the end cap, and either my big Weller or my big Craftsman soldering gun to reassemble.  I also use rosin core solder.  Almost all the fluxes are corrosive and they are a pain to neutralize!

Thanks for the tip on the iron, my good one disappeared, I guess it grew legs and walked off.  I had it since 1972.

Bill
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Offline FLOYD CARTER

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • owner
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2015, 03:58:38 PM »
If you ask for "rosin core" solder, you might get blank looks.  Instead, go for "Radio Solder".  I use the Radio Shack kind.  Totally non-corrosive, and I seldom bother to wash my soldering work after finishing.

Floyd
89 years, but still going (sort of)
AMA #796  SAM #188  LSF #020

Offline Bill Johnson

• 2016 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2015, 08:53:13 PM »
For tanks, I now use a small butane soldering iron.  Remove the copper tip and you have a nice little butane torch!

I have the same torch and just used it last week to solder some pushrod ends on. Not having soldered anything in years, I think I applied way too much heat a couple times but eased up and got some good solder joints.

Due to a recent inadvertent high speed contact with the pavement, I have a slightly crushed tank that my friend declared as "trashed". I was doing some research here on soldering tanks and was thinking of buying a 80 watt soldering iron but think I'll try repairing the tank using the torch. 

Thanks for the post, Floyd.
Best Regards,
Bill

AMA 350715

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Just here for the fun of it also.
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2015, 08:36:37 AM »
I tackled a tank once.  n~

It wasn't as easy as I expected. True learning experience.  HB~>

Now if I had the tank before I drilled the engine mounting holes and before I put in the blind nuts?

I didn't want to plug and redrill the mounting holes. A price to pay for lazyness.  n1

Here's the link.

Did get it done though.

"Eventually."

A line from the movie Seabiscuit.

http://stunthanger.com/smf/index.php/topic,35403.0.html
Trump Derangement Syndrome. TDS. 
Avaiojet Derangement Syndrome. ADS.
Amazing how ignorance can get in the way of the learning process.
If you're Trolled, you know you're doing something right.  Alpha Mike Foxtrot. "No one has ever made a difference by being like everyone else."  Marcus Cordeiro, The "Mark of Excellence," you will not be forgotten. "No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot."- Mark Twain. I look at the Forum as a place to contribute and make friends, some view it as a Realm where they could be King.   Proverb 11.9  "With his mouth the Godless destroys his neighbor..."  "Perhaps the greatest challenge in modeling is to build a competitive control line stunter that looks like a real airplane." David McCellan, 1980.

Offline Bill Johnson

• 2016 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2015, 09:14:22 AM »
Um Bill,"your friend" has many more tanks to replace that one, for free. Hint. Unless, of course, you want an exercise in frustration. like the rest of this wacko hobby.  H^^ LL~ LL~

No, I have enough frustrations as it is.  n~ Just looking to save some money.
Best Regards,
Bill

AMA 350715

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2015, 10:10:43 AM »
Tinplate is so very easy to solder that you can use just about anything that'll melt solder.  I'm surprized that the butane torch works: I'd expect it to get things too hot.  But hey -- if it works, it works.
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Advertise Here
Tags: tools  solder 

Advertise Here