News:

• April 19, 2024, 11:52:37 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Looking for some assistance in Tucson  (Read 1209 times)

Offline Bill Calandrella

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Ensign
Looking for some assistance in Tucson
« on: May 24, 2015, 09:14:35 AM »
Tried this post in FOTO.  No response, so I will give it a try here.  Hope to hear from someone.

I am looking for assistance on a somewhat regular basis as I attempt to "relearn" how to fly.  It has been a while and would appreciate working with someone as I get back into it.  I have spent some time out at Christopher Columbus Park and attended the recent VSC contest as a spectator. 

There are two post of my plane that I have recently refurbished.  It was built long ago and while I have done all that I can to make sure it doesn't fall apart in the air, it does not contain the modern day features of a stunt ship.  Anyway, check it out if you like.

I am looking for someone to help me "learn to fly" as if I was a beginner, which I am.  I am willing to work with you on your schedule.  I live in Vail so it is distance to the park.  I would not be able to head to the park at the drop of a hat, but am flexible about time of day and days of the week.  I usually have a pretty open schedule.

I was thinking that it would be good to meet before hand if you would like.  It would be my pleasure to buy lunch!

Bill Calandrella

Offline Dane Martin

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • heli pilot BHOR
Re: Looking for some assistance in Tucson
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2015, 04:53:16 PM »
Hey Bill,
Just drive over here to las Vegas every weekend and fly with us! :o
Ok, maybe not. But Tucson is a bustling city. Should be easy to find some guys. The old Cajun Steve lives there

Offline Randy Cuberly

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2015, 05:19:37 PM »
Tried this post in FOTO.  No response, so I will give it a try here.  Hope to hear from someone.

I am looking for assistance on a somewhat regular basis as I attempt to "relearn" how to fly.  It has been a while and would appreciate working with someone as I get back into it.  I have spent some time out at Christopher Columbus Park and attended the recent VSC contest as a spectator. 

There are two post of my plane that I have recently refurbished.  It was built long ago and while I have done all that I can to make sure it doesn't fall apart in the air, it does not contain the modern day features of a stunt ship.  Anyway, check it out if you like.

I am looking for someone to help me "learn to fly" as if I was a beginner, which I am.  I am willing to work with you on your schedule.  I live in Vail so it is distance to the park.  I would not be able to head to the park at the drop of a hat, but am flexible about time of day and days of the week.  I usually have a pretty open schedule.

I was thinking that it would be good to meet before hand if you would like.  It would be my pleasure to buy lunch!

Bill Calandrella

Bill,
I don't understand the attitude of this post at all.  You came to VSC and talked with several people including ME and I know everyone offered to help you in any way possible.  I gave you my telephone number and said I would help you build or fly any time you wanted.
I never heard anything from you until this post!

There are people flying at Chris Columbus park at least 5 days a week including Sunday, including a couple of past national stunt champions and at least one past National scale champ.  All of these folks including me consider it pleasurable to help people build and fly...it's as much a part of the sport as flying!  All you have to do is ask and show up!

Your post here is frankly a slight insult to the Cholla Choppers club and totally unnecessary to accomplish what you claim to want!

Call me or come to the field...That's all you have to do!

Randy Cuberly
Disappointed!

Randy Cuberly
Tucson, AZ

Offline Sean McEntee

• Captain
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2015, 07:50:12 PM »
Bill,
I don't understand the attitude of this post at all.  You came to VSC and talked with several people including ME and I know everyone offered to help you in any way possible.  I gave you my telephone number and said I would help you build or fly any time you wanted.
I never heard anything from you until this post!

There are people flying at Chris Columbus park at least 5 days a week including Sunday, including a couple of past national stunt champions and at least one past National scale champ.  All of these folks including me consider it pleasurable to help people build and fly...it's as much a part of the sport as flying!  All you have to do is ask and show up!

Your post here is frankly a slight insult to the Cholla Choppers club and totally unnecessary to accomplish what you claim to want!

Call me or come to the field...That's all you have to do!

Randy Cuberly
Disappointed!

Woah, there Randy....

Randy is correct though. Weather permitting, there will always be people out there. When I was attending school at Ft Huachuca I would go up there Sunday mornings and there would always be someone there. All quality folks that would be more than happy to help.

Flying is just like riding a bike...you don't forget!

Offline Bill Calandrella

• Ensign
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2015, 11:20:03 AM »
Randy,

I apologize if my post offended you.  Yes, you did say that I should call you if I needed help and you told me that someone flew at the park every day.  So, maybe you can forgive the approach that I used with the post.  It was not intended to insult or offend anyone, especially the Cholla Choppers.

Maybe I should have been more specific!  I am really looking for a coach.  It would be great to work with one individual in order to build my skills.  I don't believe that I will achieve EXPERT standing as you have done, but I would like to be proficient.  With that in mind and not writing a epistle for my post, I was just trying to meet someone who might be interested in being a coach.  If there is no one interested in doing that, so be it, but it was worth a try.

I thought it best to make arrangements to meet someone first, rather than just dropping by and hoping that there will be someone out at the field that might give me a hand.  I know there are many great guys out there who would be willing to help me launch and maybe take time to critique the flight.  Since you post on this site often, I am sure you can see that given a single topic, there are many opinions on how things should be done.  Most are very helpful.  10 or 20 opinions leave one to sort through them all and make a choice as to what is best for you.  I think working with one person might limit the amount of input, but it more than likely will help get past the simple errors that I am sure that I will commit.

So, sorry you are disturbed.  Just so you know, I would have preferred that you would not vented at me in public.  You also have my phone number and my email address.  I think a little diplomacy would have been more appropriate, not a CHEWING OUT as a reply. 

I have been to the field many times, often you were not there.  I have talked to a number individuals and no, not all of them offered to help.

But, thanks for your input.

Bill Calandrella

Offline Randy Cuberly

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2015, 11:55:22 AM »
Well Bll,
If you think my reply to you was a "Chewing out" imaagine how I felt when your post sounded like no matter how hard you tried here in Tucson No one would help you!

Maybe my choice of words was a little harsh however they were not as harsh as my feelings.  You in fact made this public with your post and the attitude that no one would help you!

You probably are not really ready for a "coach" at this time.  A coach is more than just a mentor and someone who helps you.  A real coach is to help you sort out the difficult problems of Shape and Size and needs to be someone with infinite patience and experience.  I will tell you that good "Coaches" are rare and difficult to come by.  I think at this point you will have to accept the pointers of several different Expert level fliers at various times.  When you start flying 500+ scores then worry about a coach!  Just my opinion of course others may vary!  There are several people at our flying field that you should always listen to about your pattern.  Most will not comment unless asked.
They are:
Bob Whitely
Keith Trostle
Lou Wolgast
Ed Capitinelli
Me

For building/finishing questions any of the same guys plus:
Warren Tihart
John Callentine
Roy DeCamera

All of the original offers to help you still stand.  I am not mad at you but I did want to clear the air and find out why the situation was as it seemed to be.

If you can accept that call me and we can meet at the field anytime you like within reason!

Randy Cuberly
Randy Cuberly
Tucson, AZ

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2015, 12:54:55 PM »
I hate  seeing posts like this.   I have been to Tuscon for many VSC's and once for Aunt Betty's surprise birthday party.  She passed away several years ago.  But, I have there always seemed to be someone at the park.   Also seen a few at the races one Saturday night.   A great bunch of people in Tuscon.  In reality it didn't matter where I went I found people to fly with or talk to.   If any one comes to the KC area give me a shout.   Right now our circle is a mud hole.
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Bill Calandrella

• Ensign
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2015, 09:20:51 PM »
Once more I want to apologize to all who may have been offended or insulted by this post.  That certainly was not the intent. 

It seems that some believe that I have said that I have never been able to find help in Tucson.  That is not true.  I have received much help getting one of my old planes ready to fly again.   

The weeks before the South West Regionals here in Tucson back in February I posted something about wanting to find someone to fly with (much like this request) and I receive several very positive responses. 

I spent several days out a Christopher Columbus and met some very fine people, all willing to help.  I have been out there often since and several days during VSC and enjoyed each trip.  I did not have a plane ready to fly.  Now I do.  I was just hoping to find a flying buddy. 

I guess my choice of words (COACH) was a poor choice.  I did not realize that you had to achieve a certain level of expertise to actually have a coach.

So, with that I hope to end this post.  I will bring my plane out to the park and ask for assistance.  As has been pointed out, I am sure there are many who are willing.

Bill

John, so do I...

Offline Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2015, 09:51:07 PM »
Once more I want to apologize to all who may have been offended or insulted by this post.  That certainly was not the intent. 

If I might play the role of peacemaker/interpreter...

Its really pretty simple - the way you get help and assistance is to show up at the field and fly with the others. Meet people and form contacts. Stunt fliers will fall all over themselves to assist but there's nearly no formality to it. To take advantage of their assistance, show up when they are there.

People flying seriously do indeed have coaches in the classic sense. Mostly it's just an extension of the "just show up" theory. For instance, I take coaching from a number of people on a regular basis, and I also coach on a regular basis. Sometimes a one pairing of coach/pilot works better than another and then the most effective coach becomes a conduit for other inputs, if nothing else, to avoid conflicting inputs.

For example, David Fitzgerald and I usually attend the NATs and room together, so we will coach each other throughout the week of the NATS. That includes debriefing after every flight, all the way to the end. If Jim Aron is present, he is David's coach because they seem to work together better than any other pairing. I work fairly well with most coaches. Ted Fancher used to work with David's father Bill.  Point being, such arrangements very definitely exist and are critical to being competitive.

If you aren't competing you don't really need a coach the way we are talking about it - you need flying buddies, which you acquire by showing up at the field. There's nothing more to it than that.

Brett

Offline Bill Calandrella

• Ensign
Re: Looking for some assistance in Tucson - PLEASE REMOVE
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2015, 07:55:36 AM »
Thanks Brett.

I have asked that this post be removed.  It seems a simple request has caused more discourse than intended.  Being away from all of this for a long time, I was just looking for a flying buddy.  The word coach was used and I guess it should not have.  You had mention to me before that I should have my plane checked out before I fly it.  I agree.  If there is a problem I would like to know before hand.

I really don't need to go into all of my motivations for posting this.  I would like to drop the subject and have the post removed.

Bill

Offline EddyR

• Admiral
« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2015, 02:59:04 PM »
 Let me add this as typical at our Hunterville field. Guy shows up and ask will someone help me? Answer where is your plane. I will bring it next time. Next time comes and still no plane. Another time guy calls me and ask will I help him,Answer sure. He shows up with huge cl plane and he want's me to fly it. Don and I work on plane for a long time and I fly it. It was a poor design and unsafe from my point of view but it was flyable in level flight. We wanted him to fly it. Answer "no"
 The club has a trainer but he never came back. Lots of older people show up and want help but never show up with a plane.
The answer to this gentleman is show up with your plane ,lines, battery and be ready to except help. Looking at a bunch of national level flyers and planes can be intimidating.
 Don likes to help people but I no longer care to get involved with someone but I can fly anything that shows up if needed.
 I am just a grumpy old guy. Move on partner ,ask my buddy Don ~^
Locust NC 40 miles from the Huntersville field

Offline Randy Cuberly

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Looking for some assistance in Tucson - PLEASE REMOVE
« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2015, 03:33:27 PM »
Thanks Brett.

I have asked that this post be removed.  It seems a simple request has caused more discourse than intended.  Being away from all of this for a long time, I was just looking for a flying buddy.  The word coach was used and I guess it should not have.  You had mention to me before that I should have my plane checked out before I fly it.  I agree.  If there is a problem I would like to know before hand.

I really don't need to go into all of my motivations for posting this.  I would like to drop the subject and have the post removed.

Bill

Quote from post above:

"Maybe I should have been more specific!  I am really looking for a coach.  It would be great to work with one individual in order to build my skills.  I don't believe that I will achieve EXPERT standing as you have done, but I would like to be proficient.  With that in mind and not writing a epistle for my post, I was just trying to meet someone who might be interested in being a coach.  If there is no one interested in doing that, so be it, but it was worth a try."

Bill,
This sounds distinctly like you were seeking a "Coach" one person only to work with you to improve your skills.  Which is why I answered you the way I did.

Further I see no reason why this thread should be removed while it may be a little irritating to a few, it is instructive and probably should remain.  Of course that's up to Sparky!

Just bring your airplane to the field and fly with us.   We'll give you whatever help you require.

Randy Cuberly
Randy Cuberly
Tucson, AZ

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here