News:

• April 16, 2024, 01:58:48 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Paint Can lids  (Read 1723 times)

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Paint Can lids
« on: May 23, 2015, 11:46:19 AM »
After laughing at some one complaining about the lids of paint cans gluing themselves in place, I thought I would post this while it is still on my feeble mind.   I use canning jars to store the water base clear paints in as I too have had trouble with getting the lids off/open.   I even use the jars to store dope in when it come in the round cans.  A plus to the jars s you can tell when the dope has been mixed good.  When putting the lid on the jar use parchment paper under the lid.   I even use it under the lid on my dope can lids that are the screw on type.   Makes for much easier opening of jars and cans.
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Just here for the fun of it also.
Re: Paint Can lids
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2015, 02:20:12 PM »
Yes, lids that stick can be an issue.  n~

As a life long professional sign painter, pinstriper AND a life long professional airbrush artist, I can honestly say "I’ve never had an issue with lids."  LL~ LL~ LL~

Simple, just keep paint out of that can lid valley. Sounds easy I know.

Last thing I would need on the job, is to have a can of paint be hard or form a dry crust that would give me an issue OR to have a lid give me trouble. Dispicable lids.  LL~

Some sign guys actually kept their paint can inventory placed up side down to prevent that dry layer from forming. I never did.

I never pored paint from the can unless I knew I would use all of it then toss the can or I made sure I cleaned the can lid valley thoroughly.  ;D

Time was always an issue and so was using product. Wasted paint is costly and a no no. The cost of One Shot sign paint has now gone through the roof!  HB~>

Probably because there’s not as many professional sign painters as there once was. Pinstripers either for that matter. Vinyl sign guys killed it.  LL~ LL~ LL~

I managed to get most of my paint products for free from the Auto Body shops which I did work in. Those that had paint systems were a dream. Didn’t have that early on.

Didn’t have U-Tube either.  Because of U-Tube, you can pretend you know a lot when you actually don't.  LL~ LL~ LL~

Popsicle sticks were a good tool to remove paint from the can.  Dip the stick in then drag it, both sides, against the edge of the cups used in sign painting or for airbrushing, Pour the paint from the cup. Toss the cup.

Spraying, for large areas, can be a bit different, in that a stick may not be the best item to remove paint from the can, could take forever. Sooooooo, we simply cleaned the can lid valley with paper towels, doesn’t take long AND then the lid easily goes in place AND is easily removed the next time that can or color is used. Just like new!

Look Ma, no gluie paint in the can lid valley!  #^

I picked up really good, excellent in fact, sign painting, pinstriping, and airbrushing tricks/skills, plus great job sight management habits, from some of the most generous and talented sign guys that were around back then when I started.

I actually shared work with many of these talented guys. You learn by sharing and I never considered another fellow sign painter a threat. The contrary actually.  n1

True professionals beyond belief.  H^^

Much has changed.
Trump Derangement Syndrome. TDS. 
Avaiojet Derangement Syndrome. ADS.
Amazing how ignorance can get in the way of the learning process.
If you're Trolled, you know you're doing something right.  Alpha Mike Foxtrot. "No one has ever made a difference by being like everyone else."  Marcus Cordeiro, The "Mark of Excellence," you will not be forgotten. "No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot."- Mark Twain. I look at the Forum as a place to contribute and make friends, some view it as a Realm where they could be King.   Proverb 11.9  "With his mouth the Godless destroys his neighbor..."  "Perhaps the greatest challenge in modeling is to build a competitive control line stunter that looks like a real airplane." David McCellan, 1980.

Offline RknRusty

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
    • My Tube channel
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2015, 05:58:59 PM »
I punch 4 nail holes in the lid valley so it drains back if I slop some into it. Makes it easy to wipe out too as it pours back through the holes when you push it around with a paper towel. I won't be surprised or offended if someone points out that nail holes are dumb for some reason I haven't thought of.
Rusty
DON'T PANIC!
Rusty Knowlton
... and never Ever think about how good you are at something...
while you're doing it!

Jackson Flyers Association (a.k.a. The Wildcat Rangers(C/L))- Fort Jackson, SC
Metrolina Control Line Society (MCLS) - Huntersville, NC - The Carolina Gang
Congaree Flyers - Gaston, SC -  http://www.congareeflyer.com
www.coxengineforum.com

Offline JIM Nordin

• Lieutenant
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2015, 06:09:49 PM »
I been doing custom paint airbrushing for the last 10 years  never been a issue

Jim

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2015, 06:34:04 PM »
I been doing custom paint airbrushing for the last 10 years  never been a issue

Jim

Jim,

I'm always interested in other air brush artists work, you can send photos to my E-mail if you like?

When I first started using an airbrush, brush lettering also, I would go to "LETTERHEADS," where airbrush and hand lettering guys would get together. Bring photos of their work and talk shop. Even do demos.

Amazing the quality work that some airbrush guys can do and how easy they give up their tricks. When you have confidence and really know your craft, you never consider another airbrush or lettering guy as a threat. Absolutely a great bunch of guys. Well, back then they were. Haven't been to a LETTERHEAD in, my gosh! 35 years!   LL~

I did plenty of the "chrome" look on various objects and with lettering. Thanks to a fellow airbrush guy, I picked up a few tricks at a New Jersey LETTERHEAD.

I got good enough at it to land the World Wrestling Federation account. Did all their airbrush art and graphics.  ;D

Well, until they purchased a vinyl printer.  LL~ LL~ LL~

If you're Trolled, you know you're doing something right.  Alpha Mike Foxtrot. "No one has ever made a difference by being like everyone else."  Marcus Cordeiro, The "Mark of Excellence," you will not be forgotten. "No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot."- Mark Twain. I look at the Forum as a place to contribute and make friends, some view it as a Realm where they could be King.   Proverb 11.9  "With his mouth the Godless destroys his neighbor..."  "Perhaps the greatest challenge in modeling is to build a competitive control line stunter that looks like a real airplane." David McCellan, 1980.

Offline RogerGreene

• 21 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2015, 06:37:15 PM »
Thanks for that neat tip, Rusty.  CLP** CLP** Wish I thought of that...

Roger
Fly Stunt <><
AMA 435R
USAF Veteran 1962-66 SAC
Life is 10% what happens to you and 90% of how you react to it. FAA #FA3RFLPAN7

Offline RknRusty

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
    • My Tube channel
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2015, 08:24:08 PM »
Thanks for that neat tip, Rusty.  CLP** CLP** Wish I thought of that...

Roger
I learned it from my wife Lol. I wish I'd thought of it too.
Rusty
DON'T PANIC!
Rusty Knowlton
... and never Ever think about how good you are at something...
while you're doing it!

Jackson Flyers Association (a.k.a. The Wildcat Rangers(C/L))- Fort Jackson, SC
Metrolina Control Line Society (MCLS) - Huntersville, NC - The Carolina Gang
Congaree Flyers - Gaston, SC -  http://www.congareeflyer.com
www.coxengineforum.com

Offline wwwarbird

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2015, 09:48:09 PM »
I punch 4 nail holes in the lid valley so it drains back if I slop some into it. Makes it easy to wipe out too as it pours back through the holes when you push it around with a paper towel. I won't be surprised or offended if someone points out that nail holes are dumb for some reason I haven't thought of.
Rusty

I do the same thing, works great. I think Don Hutchinson gave me the tip a few years ago, been doing it ever since.
Narrowly averting disaster since 1964! 

Wayne Willey
Albert Lea, MN U.S.A. IC C/L Aircraft Modeler, Ex AMA member

Offline Bill Johnson

• 2016 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2015, 05:42:15 AM »
Rusty

Rusty,

My father did it and I'm sure he learned that from his father. We always did it (and still do) on house paint cans. I'm going to try it with John's tip about using parchment paper. I'd almost bet that regular plastic wrap would work as well.
Best Regards,
Bill

AMA 350715

Offline FLOYD CARTER

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • owner
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2015, 02:40:23 PM »
I also punch holes in new paint can lids for pouring.  I made the mistake of using ordinary paper masking tape to cover the holes.  That doesn't work: it isn't air tight.  Now I use vinyl electrician's tape.
89 years, but still going (sort of)
AMA #796  SAM #188  LSF #020

Offline Target

• C/L Addict
  • 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2015, 12:29:51 PM »
Me too, a scratch awl in the brand new can valley the first time I open them. A q-tip or paper towel a time or two around the valley, and you're golden.
Regards,
Chris
AMA 5956

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2015, 04:36:11 PM »
Over time you may get a paint stalactite for each hole. Possibly?  LL~

"In the valley of the jolly, ho ho ho, clean paint can."  ;D

Offline Clancy Arnold

• Admiral
  • I am 5 Ft. 8 In., the Taube is 7 Ft. 4 In.
« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2015, 06:24:50 AM »
Rusty

Your suggestion must be a good idea.  While watching Good Morning America on TV this morning this idea of punching holes in the lid groove was recommended. It may have been the opening lead in to a Lowes Hardware Store commercial for their house paint.
Clancy

Clancy Arnold
Indianapolis, IN   AMA 12560 LM-S
U/Tronics Control
U/Control with electronics added.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here