News:

• April 24, 2024, 06:01:53 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Shortnen the nose on a Brodak Oriental? How?  (Read 3268 times)

Offline frank mccune

• AMA Member
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Shortnen the nose on a Brodak Oriental? How?
« on: May 22, 2015, 02:25:28 PM »
     Hi:

I have been advised to shorten the nose on my Brodak ARF Oriental 1.5" since I am using a HP .40 engine that weighs 9 oz.

What would be the bet way to do this?

Tia,

Frank McCune

Offline frank mccune

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
Re: Shortnen the nose on a Brodak Oriental? How?
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2015, 05:58:03 AM »
     Hello:

Perhaps I was a bit vague when I asked this question.  What I had hoped to elicit was a suggestion as how one can reduce the nose movement while providing a ridged engine mounting provision.

Phil Spillman mentioned that he utilized a RC type of mount that was attached to a reinforced and modified firewall.  This, in his opinion, was superior to the weak wood used in the beam mounts of his ARF Nobler.  Perhaps a simple but effective way to both provide a stronger engine mounting method and an easy way to shorten the nose.  Perhaps the answer to my question has already been provided.

Suggestions?

Tia,

Frank McCune

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Just here for the fun of it also.
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2015, 09:13:41 AM »
Frank,

Instead of cutting the model up, why don't you just use the recommended engine?

Frank,

Have you seen this Thread?

http://stunthanger.com/smf/index.php/topic,36066.0.html
Trump Derangement Syndrome. TDS. 
Avaiojet Derangement Syndrome. ADS.
Amazing how ignorance can get in the way of the learning process.
If you're Trolled, you know you're doing something right.  Alpha Mike Foxtrot. "No one has ever made a difference by being like everyone else."  Marcus Cordeiro, The "Mark of Excellence," you will not be forgotten. "No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot."- Mark Twain. I look at the Forum as a place to contribute and make friends, some view it as a Realm where they could be King.   Proverb 11.9  "With his mouth the Godless destroys his neighbor..."  "Perhaps the greatest challenge in modeling is to build a competitive control line stunter that looks like a real airplane." David McCellan, 1980.

Offline Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2015, 12:48:33 PM »
     Hi:

I have been advised to shorten the nose on my Brodak ARF Oriental 1.5" since I am using a HP .40 engine that weighs 9 oz.

What would be the bet way to do this?

Tia,

Frank McCune
   Hi Frank;
   A simple way to shorten the nose moment is to move the firewall back the desired amount, and then shorten the engine bearers accordingly. My suggestion is to set your engine on the plans in the normal position called out for, and mark the rear position opf the engine mounts. Then move the engine back by one length of the engine mounts, or put the front holes in the second position where the rear holes were in the first position. Then check and measure behind it to see if you have room for your anticipated tank capacity. Irf it's a little close, you may have to build a custom tank that is shorter and thicker, but given the length of the Oriental nose as designed, you may be OK as it is. If all looks acceptable, relocate the firewall as needed and build as normal. Easy as pie.
    Good luck with it,
   Dam McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824
AMA 480405 (American Motorcyclist Association)

Offline frank mccune

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2015, 05:33:00 PM »
    Hi Aviojet:

I would like to have a Brodak .40 as shown in the plan book but where may I purchase one? A chap that I know has a used one and he is asking $125.00 for it.

I had our own Randy Smith convert a couple of HP .40 engines, circa  1972, for me to be used in stunt ships.  He should be qualified to turn out  good stunt engine as he has done the HP .40 in the past.

I was impressed with the build quality of the HP engines and decided that they would make a good stunt engine.  At nine ounces, they are about the same weight as the Brodak .40 but I bet, provide much more power than the B 40.

Why cut up the Oriental when I can just add tail weight? Lol

Stay well my friend,

Frank McCune

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Just here for the fun of it also.
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2015, 05:57:25 PM »
Frank,

Never owned one, so I know absolutely nothing about the Brodak 40 engine.

They always seem to get a good number of bids and sell quite high on ebay.

That tells you something right there.

I almost bought the Oriental ARF, it's really nice looking and I like it.

I purchased the Nobler ARF from Tower because of an 18.00 gift number thing and free shipping.

The looks of the Nobler is growing on me.

Yes, stay well also.

Charles

Trump Derangement Syndrome. TDS. 
Avaiojet Derangement Syndrome. ADS.
Amazing how ignorance can get in the way of the learning process.
If you're Trolled, you know you're doing something right.  Alpha Mike Foxtrot. "No one has ever made a difference by being like everyone else."  Marcus Cordeiro, The "Mark of Excellence," you will not be forgotten. "No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot."- Mark Twain. I look at the Forum as a place to contribute and make friends, some view it as a Realm where they could be King.   Proverb 11.9  "With his mouth the Godless destroys his neighbor..."  "Perhaps the greatest challenge in modeling is to build a competitive control line stunter that looks like a real airplane." David McCellan, 1980.

Offline frank mccune

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2015, 05:52:26 AM »
     Hello All:

I have come to my senses and thought what a stupid idea it was to even think of cutting up the Oriental.

I have a very wide range of engines that will do the job very well.  There is also the tail weight idea.

A friend on mine who lives on the West coast has built and flown the Oriental for many years and claims that it will fly very well with just about any engine.  I guess that Dee Rice got it right when he designed this airplane. 

I have a 1954 O.S .35 that I may put in it just for laughs! Lol

Thanks for all of the replies,

Frank

Offline Geoff Goodworth

• Captain
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2015, 07:04:33 PM »
Position the drive washer 9 1/32" from the wing LE—per Pat Johnston's drawing—and you should be good.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here