News:

• May 10, 2024, 05:22:38 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Build Suggestions  (Read 2047 times)

Online Motorman

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Build Suggestions
« on: May 21, 2015, 05:28:33 PM »
Long time builder/flier new to stunt. I'm at the point where I need to build my first serious electric stunt plane.

Had a few ARFs (never again) then built a Banshee and a profile Tanager which is my best plane right now. I feel I could do much better with something stiffer straighter and lighter. Problem is I need to keep it down to a 600 Sq. In. wing so it fits in my vehicle (the Stiletto 660 won't fit but that is a cool plane).

I've had a few people tell me the Tanager wing is a good wing so I thought about the Acentor. It comes in a kit and has the same wing but I see the fuselage as old heavy type construction and it still has the sheet stab/elev.

I still have the Tanager plans so I thought to build a better one with lighter wood and carbon fiber in the right places and make a built up stab/elev. Can you make a profile fuselage light and stiff enough to get the job done?

3rd option, use the Tanager wing and make a built up fuselage and empennage from scratch. My first attempt would be boxy looking.

I've seen the Legacy 40 kit, has a great rep but, don't really like the plain looks it's smallish and some say it builds heavy. The modern look of the Vector 40 is ok but it's even smaller and I had the ARF so feel like I've been there. I'm sure both would be excellent fliers but I'm holding out for something cool and different maybe with some old school character. Any suggestions?

Thanks,
MM

Online Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Build Suggestions
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2015, 07:39:00 PM »
If you're not building it specifically to compete in a profile event, you probably want to go full fuselage.

You can build a profile that's stiff enough and light, but you do it by building a hollow fuselage that takes almost as much work as building a full fuselage, and will never be quite as light or stiff.

I have a full sized Legacy kit that I'm building, and much of the weight of the thing comes from heavy wood in the kit.  If you get a Legacy 40 rib kit and plans then you can select the wood yourself and mold the fuselage top to get more weight out, and you might just come up with a good solution.

Another option, which I suggest you pursue after you're comfortable building stunters, is a take-apart model.  If your car will fit a 600 square inch model then it'll probably fit a 700 inch take apart.  You may not need to do anything more than take off the wings, or even just one, depending on your car.
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline Randy Cuberly

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2015, 10:43:06 AM »
Have a look at the "Oriental Plus" by Dee Rice, kitted by RSM.  It's a  modern upgrade of Dee's classic Oriental and a very good flier.  It was designed for a RO Jett 40 on a pipe, but should be relatively east to convert to electric.  I wouldn't be surprised if Eric (RSM Proprieter) has suggestions for how to go about that.
It's about 600 in/sq and builds fairly light. 

http://www.rsmdistribution.com/main.htm

Randy Cuberly
Randy Cuberly
Tucson, AZ

Offline GonzoBonzo

• GonzoBonzo
  • 2016 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2015, 02:16:55 PM »
I think you answered your own question. I'd go with the Stiletto 35. Just under 600 sq. Hit Walter up for a kit. His kits are second to none, and the design would be very competitive with electric power.
Gonzo

Offline Randy Cuberly

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2015, 03:50:29 PM »
You could always build an electric Impact and make it Take Apart...There are several guys who could tell you exactly how to do that.

One of them is named Walker and the other is called Rush!  If I was going to build an electric stunter I would do that.  Or Build one of Bob Hunts Crossfires and make it take apart...Bob can most certainly help you out with that.

Great proven airplanes with electric setups turnkey!  Not too bad in the looks department either.

Rumour is all of these airplanes set up for electric have done very, very well at the Nats...One even did pretty well at the Worlds!!

As a take apart you could probably put any of these in a Fiat 600!  No Worries!  y1 y1 

You'll be absolutely amazed at how well a REAL stunter flies! 

Randy Cuberly
Randy Cuberly
Tucson, AZ

Online Motorman

• Admiral
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2015, 05:08:05 PM »
Forgot to mention the other reason for 600 squares, I wanted to use my existing electric system.

That Oriental Plus looks good. Lot of planes on the RSM site. What do you think of the Skylark?

Didn't know about the 35 Stiletto thanks.

Thanks,
MM

Offline Randy Cuberly

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2015, 09:59:19 PM »
Forgot to mention the other reason for 600 squares, I wanted to use my existing electric system.

That Oriental Plus looks good. Lot of planes on the RSM site. What do you think of the Skylark?

Didn't know about the 35 Stiletto thanks.

Thanks,
MM

The Skylark is an excellent flying classic airplane.  Actually I think the kit from RSM can be built in three different sizes, 35, 46, and 60.

Ed Southwick the designerbuilt and use all three sizes.  Both the 35 size and 46 size are Classic Legal.  The 60 size is pretty good for PAMPA Stunt Classes.

That Walker guy that was mentioned in my other post won 1st Place at VSC with one of the 35 size Skylarks with a McCoy 40 a couple of years ago...beautiful pattern.  Of course Paul seldom flies any other kind of pattern.  Magic hand and lots of work and Moxie in that guy!

Actually I have one of the RSM Kits for this airplane and intend to build it soon.  I will build the 46 size for an ST46.

I'm sure if you asked Paul about his, he would answer your questions about trim CG etc.

Randy Cuberly
Randy Cuberly
Tucson, AZ

Offline Juan Carlos Pesce

• AMA Member
  • Ensign
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2015, 12:16:26 PM »
Hello
This is my E-Skylark, currently under construction.

Features

Wing span: 1,310 mm
Long fuselage: 970 mm
Stabilizer span: 510 mm
Wing area: 37.3350 dm2
Stabilizer area: 6.1200 dm 2 (16% of the wing)
Engine: Propdrive 42-38 750 kv
ESC: H.K. 40A SBEC
Timer: Brodak FM-Oc
Propeller: 11 x 6
LiPo battery: 3000mAh NanoTech
Estimated end weight: 1400 gr

Regards

Juan Carlos Pesce
Buenos Aires
Argentina

Offline David Felinczak

• Lieutenant
  • Always Remember
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2015, 06:37:38 AM »
 You can build the Stiletto 660 with a removeable wing per Walter Umland kit!
David Felinczak

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here