News:

• April 26, 2024, 10:39:17 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: powered graphite  (Read 1584 times)

Offline john gunn

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Lieutenant
powered graphite
« on: May 19, 2015, 06:28:53 PM »
In the late 50,s I remember using graphite in fuel for a motor run, I do not remember why or what the result was.   Anyone ever used this product in that manner?  If so what were the results?

Offline Motorman

• Admiral
Re: powered graphite
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2015, 06:37:25 PM »
There was a product called Molly Slip we used in racing diesels. 1/4 of 1% was all you need or it would coke up the motor. It was of some benefit when going with 5% castor but we found we didn't need it with 10% castor and the motors ran cleaner so we stopped using it. I still have some. Never heard of anything like that you could mix with alky.

MM

Offline Larry Renger

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2015, 06:46:22 PM »
AHC (America Hobby Center) sold some sort of black goo that was supposed to do wonders if you squirted some down the venturi of a running motor. No idea if it worked!
Think S.M.A.L.L. y'all and, it's all good, CL, FF and RC!

DesignMan
 BTW, Dracula Sucks!  A closed mouth gathers no feet!

Online Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2015, 10:09:52 PM »
AHC (America Hobby Center) sold some sort of black goo that was supposed to do wonders if you squirted some down the venturi of a running motor. No idea if it worked!

I'll stick with the old reliable goat sacrifice, myself. But I am a traditionalist.

Brett

Offline Randy Cuberly

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2015, 11:49:01 PM »
  I'll stick with the old reliable goat sacrifice, myself. But I am a traditionalist.

Brett

I thought that was supposed to be a lamb sacrifice!!  As in sacrificial lamb!!!  LL~

I'm a traditionalist also and don't put unknown black goo in an engine!

Toothpaste in oil was the hot tip when I was a kid.  Fortunately I was smart enough even then to know what that would do to bearings...not to mention glow plugs!

Randy Cuberly

Randy Cuberly
Tucson, AZ

Offline Lauri Malila

• Admiral
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2015, 04:02:52 AM »
I've seen some East-European speed flyers mixing this black @#$% in their fuel. The idea is to run th engine with it a few seconds before official flight so that it spreads evenly to the friction surfaces and perhaps some of it stays  there during their contest flight.
The rumour says it's an military product that is used to keep their vehicles active slightly longer in case of an oil leak.
I'd guess it is some sort of molybdendisulphide paste that mixes with methanol.
L

Offline Perry Rose

• Go vote, it's so easy dead people do it all the time.
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2015, 04:32:18 AM »
There is a product called Neolube that is graphite mixed with alcohol. We used it to lubricate bolt threads before heat torqueing.
I may be wrong but I doubt it.
I wouldn't take her to a dog fight even if she had a chance to win.
The worst part of growing old is remembering when you were young.

Offline John Park

• Agricola
  • Captain
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2015, 10:26:39 AM »
This sounds like colloidal graphite.  My father, who was an engineer and an expert motorcyclist, used to talk of using it in his motorcycles in the 1930s - whether as an additive to the oil or as an upper cylinder lubricant, I can't recall.  What I do remember after all these years is his description of the appearance of the cylinder bore after you'd been using colloidal graphite for a while - 'like black glass' was what he said, so it must have been doing some good.  My guess is that its use became unnecessary when lubricating oils got more sophisticated after WW2.

Regards
John
You want to make 'em nice, else you get mad lookin' at 'em!

Offline frank mccune

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2015, 05:49:12 AM »
     Hi Larry:

Perhaps you are thinking of a product called Rev Up that was sold in the 50's.  It came in a red and black tube for a 50 cents and claimed to add 500 rpm to your engine.  I could not see any gain in my Cub .19. Lol

Stay well,

Frank McCune

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here