News:

• April 26, 2024, 09:51:59 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Need some help for a color, please?  (Read 992 times)

Offline Bill Little

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
Need some help for a color, please?
« on: May 19, 2015, 03:44:40 PM »
I know someone has a copy of the Goldberg Shoestring original instructions.  There was a color mixing recommendation for the "Chartreuse".  I *think* it was 8 parts Cub Yellow and 2 parts Cessna Green.  Can someone please verify this?  I had this written down and have now lost it.  I want to recreate my first "big" plane, but I am using the Brodak kit.
Thanks!
Bill
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Need some help for a color, please?
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2015, 04:08:59 PM »
I vaguely recall this subject coming up here before, and a paint mix being recommended.  If you do a search on "chartreuse" you'll get a whole bunch of threads, at least one of which may list the info you need.
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline Dennis Leonhardi

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • AirClassix on eBay
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2015, 04:30:54 PM »
I know someone has a copy of the Goldberg Shoestring original instructions.  There was a color mixing recommendation for the "Chartreuse".  I *think* it was 8 parts Cub Yellow and 2 parts Cessna Green.  Can someone please verify this?  I had this written down and have now lost it.  I want to recreate my first "big" plane, but I am using the Brodak kit.
Thanks!
Bill

8 parts Cub Yellow, 1 part Cessna Green.  Good luck, Bill!

Dennis
Think for yourself !  XXX might win the Nats, be an expert on designing, building, finishing, flying, tuning engines - but you might not wanna take tax advice from him.  Or consider his views on the climate to be fact ...

Offline Geoff Goodworth

• Captain
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2015, 06:18:15 PM »
Just checked the drawing/instruction sheet. Dennis L is correct, as is Tim.

Enjoy the model Bill.

Offline Steve Fitton

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2015, 08:06:08 PM »
How does the Brodak kit compare to the old Goldberg one?
Steve

Offline Mike Keville

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2015, 09:04:54 PM »
How does the Brodak kit compare to the old Goldberg one?
============================================
For one thing: skinny LE and surface spars.
FORMER member, "Academy of Multi-rotors & ARFs".

Offline Randy Cuberly

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2015, 10:03:40 PM »
Thanks!
Bill

I've always referred to it as "Pukey Green".  The Mix sounds right!  LL~ LL~ LL~

Randy Cuberly
Randy Cuberly
Tucson, AZ

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2015, 11:46:46 PM »
Like all things worthwhile, there's a Wikipedia entry on it: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chartreuse_%28color%29.

Old-style chartreuse (what Wikipedia calls "chartreuse yellow") should look more like a slightly greeny yellow than a pukey yellow-green, but that doesn't mean that the mix that was called out gives you that color.
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline Geoff Goodworth

• Captain
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2015, 12:37:02 AM »
Steve, the original kits that I worked from left a bit to be desired. The machined, solid LEs did not line up when the ply joiner was inserted in the slot provided in the back. With two kits, the step ranged from about 1mm to about 2.5mm.

We replaced the machined LEs with a 3/16" square on edge and strips wide enough to match the machined LE. The racers in our club replace the balsa LE with spruce to provide a bit more strength.

As Mike said, we changed the spars to 1/8" x 1/2" on the surface so that the centre of the wing could be stronger with diagonal bracing or shear webs and the tail feathers are 3/16" instead of 1/8".

We added a sheet landing gear and wheel pants that followed the lines of the Enhanced Landing Gear on the instruction sheet for the Goldbrg kit and provided details of the wire landing gear for those who wanted it.

Otherwise, the outlines of everything are exactly per the Goldberg model.

I've since made a small change to the back of the tip rib—a change that Brodaks have not incorporated. If anybody wants the details, contact me.

The actual colour of the original aircraft is Cadillac Chartruese used on Cadillac convertibles for only a couple of years back then. As mentioned, it's a very pale green, certainly not as dark as the aircraft on display at Planes of Fame. I describe it as like an almost ripe lemon. The red was called Chinese Red.

Offline Jim Rhoades

• Commander
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2015, 03:58:10 PM »
I remember seeing the original Shoestring at an airshow at the Van Nuys Airport around 1951.  It was there with the Midget Mustangs.  The Shoestring was a brilliant chartreuse with bright red trim.  Almost like Chrysler's lime green on the 70's era muscle cars.  It was bright.

Jim Rhoades

Offline John Kelly

• Commander
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2015, 04:19:45 PM »
   ...fom SPARKY'S " My scale Shoestring " post, Sept. 03, 2014
AMA 11416

Offline Randy Cuberly

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2015, 04:24:45 PM »
I remember seeing the original Shoestring at an airshow at the Van Nuys Airport around 1951.  It was there with the Midget Mustangs.  The Shoestring was a brilliant chartreuse with bright red trim.  Almost like Chrysler's lime green on the 70's era muscle cars.  It was bright.

Jim Rhoades

The original Shoestring was repainted many times.  The original was very much as shown in the photo above.  A later version was even painted in a bright yellow and black scheme to imitate a bumble bee!

The picture below shows my Whitely Shoestring that was painted to the formula mentioned above and is very light greenish yellow hence, "Pukey' green.  The airplane in my photo was built by Bob Whitely in about 2000 so it is 14 years old and patched many times and may be a bit sun faded, but as you can see it is fairly close to the photo above of the original Shoestring.  It was, if memory serves me, painted according to the formula in the original post.

Maybe RJ will chime to confirm or deny that statement.  I will say that when I used that formula for repairs it didn't quite match but I just assumed that was due to time and sun fade!

This one is a very good flying airplane, with a PA65 on a pipe, by the way!  I'm currently building an updated version of it!

Randy Cuberly 

Randy Cuberly
Tucson, AZ

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2015, 02:41:59 PM »
Thanks, a lot, guys!  And, Dennis, you need to move back to NC! LOL!!

Bill
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here