News:

• April 26, 2024, 05:38:29 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: can't afford three and a half ounces  (Read 3239 times)

Offline bill rutherford

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Lieutenant
can't afford three and a half ounces
« on: April 26, 2015, 08:41:46 PM »
    Just put the white on my new bird and it picked up 3.5 ounces with the white and the coverage is pretty good but needs another coat. It's all certified dope. Would auto basecoat be lighter????????? Man I can't that afford that much weight.. Help.   Bill

John Leidle

Re: can't afford three and a half ounces
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2015, 09:41:16 PM »
  Hi Bill, what I found in my finishing is that after going to auto paints I didn't gain weight  maybe its lighter because it covers better,  I had many problems with dope & finally dropped Dope products.     John

Offline Joe Gilbert

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2015, 10:15:52 PM »
Give it s chance to gas off for couple days then weigh again.
Joe Gilbert

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2015, 11:51:04 PM »
Bill,, did you use some form of ground, or base coat, or are you trying to cover the "splotchy" sanded base with the white,, I know you would have better luck if you sprayed at least a grey intercoat before the white so you dont have to hide all the color variations with the white,, I do this even with auto base colors,,
actually I use a white catalized sealer to prevent the solvents from the color from swelling the laquer,, but thats me
For years the rat race had me going around in circles, Now I do it for fun!
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Offline Allan Perret

• Admiral
  • Proverbs
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2015, 12:26:56 PM »
actually I use a white catalized sealer to prevent the solvents from the color from swelling the laquer,, but thats me
Can you give a specific brand/product number ?
You ever gonna pick up the Finishing section in SN ?
Allan Perret
AMA 302406
Slidell, Louisiana

Offline bill rutherford

• Lieutenant
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2015, 08:41:20 AM »
     I wanted to have an all dope finnish just for grins. Well I decided to sand it all off and go with base coat . At least it's faster and I have a ton of base coat stuff here. Oh yea Joe I let it gas off for a week. I will report when I/am done.   Bill :-\

Online Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2015, 10:57:58 AM »
     I wanted to have an all dope finnish just for grins. Well I decided to sand it all off and go with base coat . At least it's faster and I have a ton of base coat stuff here. Oh yea Joe I let it gas off for a week. I will report when I/am done.   Bill :-\

On a regular type of finish, 3 1/2 ounces it a lot but not prohibitive. Most good dope finishes come out in the 9-10 ounce range, and everything else you put on will be lighter. People who know tell me a blocking coat of gray followed by less white is lighter than trying to cover everything with white, but I haven't done it.

Yes, I think epoxy is probably lighter since it covers better, but I think that the white on mine was around 2 1/2 ounces. It's in some post somewhere. Almost all the weight in my finish was the primer and the white. Everything else was in the noise.

Brett

Offline FLOYD CARTER

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • owner
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2015, 12:39:26 PM »
I avoid all types of primer, because they're just too heavy.  I get by with some extra clear coats with zinc stearate mixed in for filling the wood grain.  It's more work, but the result is a lighter finish.

Floyd
89 years, but still going (sort of)
AMA #796  SAM #188  LSF #020

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Just here for the fun of it also.
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2015, 01:12:53 PM »
Bill,

Quality auto paints are very opaque, including the primers. They cover nicly.

Put the primer on than board it out and just dust the areas if you go to thin. Might not have to depending on color.

You would be surprised how auto paint Brands differ in quality. Some Brands we used to call weasel p-i-s-s

Can't help you with dope, I have absolutely no interest in it. Said that years ago and I still feel the same way.

BTW. I've been using auto paints since the 80's. Well, actually way before that, but on model airplanes only since the 80's.

Interesting the trade off in weight that's excepted and dealt with to have a great looking model.

This primer, one coat and it's done. Couple of areas need dusting.

My first real stunt ship, The Tank Buster.

29.7 ounces as you see it.

Not actually a bad beginning for a 55" model with enough scale detail to go to prison for.  LL~ LL~ LL~

Trump Derangement Syndrome. TDS. 
Avaiojet Derangement Syndrome. ADS.
Amazing how ignorance can get in the way of the learning process.
If you're Trolled, you know you're doing something right.  Alpha Mike Foxtrot. "No one has ever made a difference by being like everyone else."  Marcus Cordeiro, The "Mark of Excellence," you will not be forgotten. "No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot."- Mark Twain. I look at the Forum as a place to contribute and make friends, some view it as a Realm where they could be King.   Proverb 11.9  "With his mouth the Godless destroys his neighbor..."  "Perhaps the greatest challenge in modeling is to build a competitive control line stunter that looks like a real airplane." David McCellan, 1980.

Online Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2015, 02:22:40 PM »
I avoid all types of primer, because they're just too heavy.  I get by with some extra clear coats with zinc stearate mixed in for filling the wood grain.  It's more work, but the result is a lighter finish

Primer is not exactly required, but highly recommended, for epoxy finishes over dope subtrate. Otherwise the adhesion is less-than-ideal. In any case, the primer is epoxy clear mixed with - wait for it - zinc stearate -  and a different catalyst. And I think the same is true of Brodak dope primer.

The difference is that the epoxy primer (just like the colors) can have a vastly higher ratio of pigment to carrier without adhesion issues than can dope. That's why Windy's method of concentrating the pigment (letting it settle out, then skimming of some of the clear) works or why adding pigment works, but is moderately risky with dope. You can either get adhesion issues or the underlying colors will bleed through. That's also why epoxy covers so much better. The volume of pigment per unit volume of liquid is much, much higher. I would guess that a quart of KlassKote or K&B primer contains about 5x as much filler as a quart of dope. Same with the colors. Pick up a can of Klass-kote White or primer and you would swear it was poured full of lead instead of paint. And it has the consistency of very heavy cream, honey, bordering on pudding.

The key is that you just don't need to put very much on. I did a lot of pretty careful tests on it, and I think to get a similar level of opacity,  you need something like 2/3 the mass  dope. And that's roughly what you get on completed airplanes - maybe 8-10 oz. of dope and 6-7 ounces of epoxy/car paint to get the same quality of finish, assuming nothing goes wrong.

All the big weight issues I have seen with it have been the result of treating like dope and applying FAR too much. I knew one notable whose name will be omitted (unless he wants to own up to it) that ended up with something like 12 ounces - of CLEAR alone!

Car base coat (which I haven't used, but I know most of the pioneers) seems to be much more like epoxy than dope in the covering power VS mass.

Brett

Offline Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2015, 07:46:37 PM »
   Do a search on here for a thread my son Sean did about "doping dope" with a splash of your base color and you do your normal dope build ups on a dope finish. It's a technique that a local guys does, especially with white airplanes, and comes out witha pretty good coverage and none of teh weight. Sean used it for his Don Hutchinson T-6 Texan that he's building in Aeroshell team colors. Looks really good in the pictures, and he said the only place he had to shoot white was a light coat on the bottom of the airplane. I plane on trying it as soon as I get a worthy project for the process.
  Type at you later,
  Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824
AMA 480405 (American Motorcyclist Association)

Offline bill rutherford

• Lieutenant
« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2015, 09:32:45 PM »
Well I started sanding the white off tonight. Only took off 10 grams sanding the top of the inbo wing. It was hard sanding the cured dope.  Bill

Online Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2015, 09:33:52 PM »
Well I started sanding the white off tonight. Only took off 10 grams sanding the top of the inbo wing. It was hard sanding the cured dope.  Bill

Heh! Try sanding cured epoxy!

Brett

Online Larry Fernandez

• Admiral
« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2015, 10:01:28 PM »
[quote author=Brett Buck link=topic=39115

All the big weight issues I have seen with it have been the result of treating like dope and applying FAR too much. I knew one notable whose name will be omitted (unless he wants to own up to it) that ended up with something like 12 ounces - of CLEAR alone!

Brett
[/quote]

Your not making fun of my first Checkmate, are you?

Larry, Buttafucco Stunt Team

Online Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2015, 10:17:15 PM »

Quote from: Brett Buck link=topic=39115
Your not making fun of my first Checkmate, are you?

Larry, Buttafucco Stunt Team

No, I am not. If it was you, wouldn't you think I would name names? So this one time (and this time only) you are innocent. This was about 20 years ago.

I told people about the Checkmate, but everybody thinks I am making it up, so I stopped. On the other hand, it flew pretty well!

Brett

Offline Richard Imhoff

• 2019 supporter
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #15 on: April 29, 2015, 10:44:52 PM »
I was involved with Ford SVO back in the late 60's and early 70's  we took 8 oz by volume of different colors of the same brand of paint  'I remember it was duPont" we took a bunch of colors that were non metallic and weighed them and White was the heaviest and Red was the lightest. It's just food for thought. I can't remember what the other colors were for weight it was a long time ago.

Just for Grins some stupid info.

We were switching from a funny car "Stampede Mustang with Dick Loere at the wheel" to pro stock and while at Ford one day working in the wind tunnel testing different bodies to find the slickest one, and a 4 door Maverick was the best, a Mustang was decent but we were trying to get the slickest body, for your info a 74 Pinto in the wind tunnel backwards had the lowest drag coefficient
Dick Imhoff  AMA 58502

Combat, Racing, Stunt, and big time fun flyer, and Maybe a bit of carrier.

Offline billbyles

• AMA Member
  • Captain
« Reply #16 on: April 30, 2015, 12:04:14 AM »
   On a regular type of finish, 3 1/2 ounces it a lot but not prohibitive. Most good dope finishes come out in the 9-10 ounce range, and everything else you put on will be lighter. People who know tell me a blocking coat of gray followed by less white is lighter than trying to cover everything with white, but I haven't done it.

Yes, I think epoxy is probably lighter since it covers better, but I think that the white on mine was around 2 1/2 ounces. It's in some post somewhere. Almost all the weight in my finish was the primer and the white. Everything else was in the noise.

Brett

I put on a light coat of Polar Gray Randolph butyrate to give a uniform  base color under the white.  Then it takes just two medium coats of Randolph Insignia White to get thorough coverage.  On my Impact (700 in^2) the entire dope finish came out at 7 ounces total including the top coats of Sig Light Coat clear butyrate.  I don't try to back mask, just spray the entire airplane white and then apply the two or three color trim scheme plus graphics followed by three coats of Sig Light Coat clear butyrate.  The white background brightens up the reds, yellows, translucent blues, etc.

In my full-scale airplane restoration business I have sprayed many gallons of the base coat/catalyzed polyurethane clear coat systems, epoxy systems, and single-stage catalyzed polyurethane paints so I do recognize the advantages of these systems.  However, I still like to finish my models with the old butyrate dope system...smells like my childhood! 
Bill Byles
AMA 20913
So. Cal.

Offline FLOYD CARTER

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • owner
« Reply #17 on: April 30, 2015, 12:08:27 PM »
If you like the epoxy or single-component finishes, consider the repair problem (that is, if you tend to crash a bit).  My experience with K&B epoxy (loong time ago) was, it is difficult to do a repair and "blend" the repaired areas once they have been hosed with epoxy.

Butyrate, on the other hand, makes invisible (?) repairs much easier.

F.C.
89 years, but still going (sort of)
AMA #796  SAM #188  LSF #020

Online Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #18 on: April 30, 2015, 01:12:18 PM »
If you like the epoxy or single-component finishes, consider the repair problem (that is, if you tend to crash a bit).  My experience with K&B epoxy (loong time ago) was, it is difficult to do a repair and "blend" the repaired areas once they have been hosed with epoxy.

Butyrate, on the other hand, makes invisible (?) repairs much easier.

Mine has had quite a few repairs, and I haven't had much problem, aside from matching the colors. Sand it down, fix whatever, build it back up. The one place it is obvious is a spot-repair where I really should have done the entire area, and that's a color issue.

I have had a lot of trouble matching the whites because they tend to yellow over time. I now mix fresh catalyst with catalyst from old rusty cans that has turned brown, adjust until it's right!

Brett

Online Ted Fancher

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #19 on: May 03, 2015, 11:08:28 PM »
I always just added clear until it was heavy enough to fly well.

Offline bill rutherford

• Lieutenant
« Reply #20 on: May 04, 2015, 11:44:34 AM »
     I have been sitting here trying to think up some smart ass reply but nothing is coming out. Good one Ted. It really hurt all us weight challenged stunt fliers.

Offline Allan Perret

• Admiral
  • Proverbs
« Reply #21 on: May 05, 2015, 09:06:47 AM »
I always just added clear until it was heavy enough to fly well.
LL~
Allan Perret
AMA 302406
Slidell, Louisiana

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here