News:

• April 17, 2024, 10:10:44 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Lacework  (Read 44809 times)

Offline Sean McEntee

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain
Lacework
« on: April 26, 2015, 11:23:06 AM »
Many many years ago, painting with lace was the thing.  I've seen several models in magazines from back then I think it looks pretty awesome. To the guys who were around back then and used this technique, describe the process?  Thanks a bunch!

Offline tom brightbill

• 2018 Supporter
  • Commander
Re: Lacework
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2015, 12:07:15 PM »
Paging Mark Scarborough!  (His lace work earned 20 points at VSC a couple years ago.)
AMA 34849

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2015, 12:54:00 PM »
Yea, Mark used candy colors and fish net stockings to get the effect. Very cool.
Member in good standing of P.I.S.T
(Politically Incorrect Stunt Team)
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Bootlegger

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2015, 03:19:15 PM »

Sean, I sis a couple of my models with lace that I picked up in a fabric store, actually had my wife pick it up for me for the obvious reasons!!
 Any way I had the color that I wanted already sprayed, and pinned the lace down so it would not blow around, and shot the other color at low pressure using my air brush, they came out very well I think.
 You might get some poster board and shoot your color thru the lace onto it for practice.
  Let us know what you think..
8th Air Force Veteran
Gil Causey
AMA# 6964

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2015, 04:01:22 PM »
Oh no, another modeler succumbs to the temptation of wrapping his plane in ladies' underwear!

Sean: +1 on paging Mark. 

The basic idea that I dimly remember from growing up in a paint shop, and from Mark's comments, is that you get the base perfect, then you tape the lady's underwear onto the plane, then you fog on the contrasting color.  Then you throw the underwear away because she will notice that something has been done with it.  Then you put clear over everything, and hope to heaven that your airplane never gets damaged, because you'll never, ever be able to repair the paint job.

If that explanation isn't garbled enough to get Mark on to correct and expand, then he's just not reading the forums.
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline Sean McEntee

• Captain
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2015, 05:36:43 PM »
I have the the construction article from NOV 1959 FM and hand-drawn plans ala Dad for Arthur Alfieri's "Ruby", and will commence building once the T-6 gets done. I think some lace would look cool on it.

I saw a video on facebook of a guy doing essentially the same thing with some old jeans and a motorcycle fender.  He laid down the white, and let it get good and hard for month or so.  Then he painted on the blue and while it was wet, laid the jeans down over the paint.  Patted it down real good and lifted.   The result looked incredible.  That got me thinking about the lace, and would be cool to try.

Thanks all for the comments!
« Last Edit: April 26, 2015, 09:15:49 PM by Sean McEntee »

Offline Larry Wong

• Admiral
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2015, 05:48:21 PM »
Sean check out Paul Pamposa's Temtation great lacework.  y1
Larry

Believing is the Beginning to greatness <><

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2015, 05:58:58 PM »
Hey Sean:

It sounds like the guy was doing the opposite of what I know of as lacework: instead of using something as a mask he used something to seletively lift paint off of the work.  It's an interesting technique, though.  I can just imagine getting it wrong and ripping up your nice white undercoat...

Woodgrain next?
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline Bootlegger

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2015, 08:01:46 PM »

No, Tim W, I used the lace patterns that you can buy at the fabric stores.
 There are a lot of different types of patterns there for your choosing, just go check it out. y1
8th Air Force Veteran
Gil Causey
AMA# 6964

Offline Larry Borden

• 24 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2015, 08:05:15 PM »
I did the lace thing on one of my Ringmasters. I masked around the basic design and laid the lace down and sprayed a light coat of contrasting color and lifted the lace off while paint was still wet.  Came out pretty neat, if I do say so myself. :) Got the lace from Jo-Anns fabrics.

Offline Sean McEntee

• Captain
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2015, 09:15:28 PM »
Hey Sean:

It sounds like the guy was doing the opposite of what I know of as lacework: instead of using something as a mask he used something to seletively lift paint off of the work.  It's an interesting technique, though.  I can just imagine getting it wrong and ripping up your nice white undercoat...

Woodgrain next?

Yeah it was kinda backwards from what you guys are describing.  Did look cool though.

Stained balsa would look cool too!  That would take some thinking and experimentation though.

Offline Target

• C/L Addict
  • 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2015, 09:58:08 PM »
How about a picture of an example of said lacework painting for a Newbie?
Regards,
Chris
AMA 5956

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2015, 11:54:13 PM »
uh,, was somebody trying to get ahold of me?
sorry I was in my zen mode being intimate with my roll of 2 3/4" 320 grit and a willing airframe,,
now its bed time,, I will try to type up a description of my Avenger tomorrow,,
its quite simple,, ( most of the really cool effects are totally simple),,
For years the rat race had me going around in circles, Now I do it for fun!
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Offline Andrew Hathaway

• Captain
« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2015, 07:30:39 AM »
Friend of mine had a car with "marble" racing stripes.  The guy who painted it went a little nuts with candy colors, and that prismatic paint that changes blue/green/purple depending on angle.  He used something along the lines of a trash bag applied while the paint was wet to lift some of the paint in a "marble" pattern.  It didn't look nearly as terrible as some of his tangerine with color shifting paint monstrosities, but we never got tired of poking fun at my buddies Hefty bag racing stripes. 

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2015, 11:56:40 PM »
Basically, the Avenger was sprayed a gold pearl base,, let dry thouroughly,, then I stretched a fishnet stocking over the wings, taking a fair amount of time to make sure the stretch evenly distributed the pattern,, I sprayed red/burgandy pearl through the fishnet,, starting at the leading edge, and blending it back to nothing,, after again it dryed,, I carefully lifted of the stocking and sprayed a coat of gold candy over it to lock the pearl and add depth,, then graphics over that,, then clear,, I really cant post a good picture,, the effect is subtle enough as to make photographing it challanging, I do think I have one shot that shows it,, let me look
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Offline Target

• C/L Addict
  • 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #15 on: April 28, 2015, 08:01:11 AM »
I get the idea, that IS pretty cool.
Thanks for the picture, Mark.

R,
Chris
Regards,
Chris
AMA 5956

Offline JIM Nordin

• Lieutenant
« Reply #16 on: April 28, 2015, 10:02:18 AM »
Not a airplane but same idea

Offline Larry Borden

• 24 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #17 on: April 28, 2015, 02:41:54 PM »
Here is a Ringmaster that I tried my hand at painting using lace. Left wing, not so good, right, acceptable.

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
« Reply #18 on: April 28, 2015, 07:06:15 PM »
Not a airplane but same idea
except I think that is colored carbon fiber cloth molded
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #19 on: April 28, 2015, 08:06:32 PM »
except I think that is colored carbon fiber cloth molded

Or it's this stuff.  How can I waterproof a Legacy?

« Last Edit: April 28, 2015, 09:15:50 PM by Tim Wescott »
AMA 64232

Offline JIM Nordin

• Lieutenant
« Reply #20 on: April 28, 2015, 08:19:49 PM »
This is sprayed through a drawer liner no water involved

Offline Sean McEntee

• Captain
« Reply #21 on: April 28, 2015, 09:11:57 PM »
Basically, the Avenger was sprayed a gold pearl base,, let dry thouroughly,, then I stretched a fishnet stocking over the wings, taking a fair amount of time to make sure the stretch evenly distributed the pattern,, I sprayed red/burgandy pearl through the fishnet,, starting at the leading edge, and blending it back to nothing,, after again it dryed,, I carefully lifted of the stocking and sprayed a coat of gold candy over it to lock the pearl and add depth,, then graphics over that,, then clear,, I really cant post a good picture,, the effect is subtle enough as to make photographing it challanging, I do think I have one shot that shows it,, let me look

Wow Mark, thats amazing!  Looks incredible. Yeah I will have to give this a try...

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
« Reply #22 on: April 29, 2015, 07:59:37 PM »
This is sprayed through a drawer liner no water involved
Jim, I stand corrected,, I did not look close enough
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here