News:

• March 28, 2024, 05:18:15 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Norvel Question  (Read 1828 times)

Offline Phillip Kenney

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Lieutenant
Norvel Question
« on: April 22, 2015, 08:40:56 PM »
A two part question concerning Norvel engines. First how does one tell the difference between Norvel Engines? I have two engines without boxes and don't know if they are .049 or .061 and if they are Big Mig, AME or what.
Along with that one of the engines really does not want to start and run. It will pop but floods almost immediately. I can remove the fuel line and after much flipping it will burn off the flooded fuel and then try again and it floods again. If I put the 1/2a starter on the engine it pops off the prop and spinner bolt immediately. Fuel is Byron's 1/2a fuel.
Any thoughts on the starting problems?

Offline ray copeland

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
Re: Norvel Question
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2015, 08:48:49 PM »
Somewhere on the engine should be stamped or engraved .08 or 1.0.  The .08 will be .049.  Pull the glo head and look at the ports, 5 will be a big mig and 3 will be ame. The ame will most likely only run on pressure feed. Some of the older engines had a colder and smaller glo plug and head, they were harder to start without flooding.
Ray from Greensboro, North Carolina , six laps inverted so far with my hand held vertically!!! (forgot to mention, none level!) AMA# 902150

Offline Phillip Kenney

• Lieutenant
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2015, 09:22:44 PM »
Thanks. Three ports but no marking of .08 or 1 but the AME info is probably more critical. The muffler that is on it does not have a pressure tap but I do have one that does so I
ll try that next.

Offline Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2015, 09:28:39 PM »
   Now this may be an accurate memory or not, but seems to me that on some of the early AME engines, the needle wasn't installed in it's knurled body correctly. I remember someone coming into the shop, and forget how I figured that out, but I some how managed to push the needle in the body to where it closed off the spray bar properly. You may be opening it the correct two or three turns, but in effect the needle is not seated. You may want to try switching needles and see what happens. Compare them side by side to see how they look also.
  Hope you understand what I'm refering to.
   Good luck and have fun,
    Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824
AMA 480405 (American Motorcyclist Association)

Offline Bill Adair

• 21 supporter
  • Captain
  • AMA 182626
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2015, 03:43:10 PM »
Phillip,

The cylinder bore I read is .044" for the .061ci, and .040" for the .049ci. The measurements were made with my analog calipers, so they are not exact, but surely close enough to identify the displacement of your engine.

Disconnect the fuel line at your venturi, and you should get a burst of power from a prime.

Be careful to keep the fuel level even with, or slightly below the venturi on the bench, as siphoning can load the case while flipping.

Using a 5X3 prop makes starting a little easier. I beat my finger to death flip starting my first .061, and it was the main reason I purchased a half-A electric starter!

Norvel are great engines, but they handle a little different than Cox, or other early half-A engines.

Bill

Not a flyer (age related), but still love the hobby!

Offline Phillip Kenney

• Lieutenant
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2015, 04:17:53 PM »
using my cheap Harbor Freight digital calipers, my engine measures .041 so rounding that I'll guess it is a .049 engine. Wasn't using a 5x3 prop but will try that. Tank is level on the test stand with the engine beam so it would be level or below the venture.
Thanks for the info. My guess looking at another engine I have is the .08 was painted on and wore off as it is painted on another engine.

Offline Phillip Kenney

• Lieutenant
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2015, 09:15:23 PM »
An Update. Taking Bill Adair's advice I switched out the 5.5x4 prop for the 5x3 one and put on a muffler with a pressure tap and it started right up and ran about 2oz thru it. I am going to guess the pressure was more of a fix than the .5" smaller prop, but since it now runs I'm happy.

Offline Bill Adair

• 21 supporter
  • Captain
  • AMA 182626
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2015, 09:39:46 PM »
Could be the pressure, but I suspect the smaller prop winds up faster on the prime, and starts drawing fuel almost immediately.

Try disconnecting the muffler pressure line, and try it that way.

Bill
Not a flyer (age related), but still love the hobby!

Offline Phillip Kenney

• Lieutenant
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2015, 10:01:07 PM »
Good point. After the time I had spent trying to get the engine started originally, I was so thrilled to see it run I just enjoyed the moment.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here