News:

• April 18, 2024, 07:04:07 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Need plans for Sterling YAK 9.  (Read 2208 times)

Offline frank mccune

• AMA Member
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Need plans for Sterling YAK 9.
« on: April 18, 2015, 11:03:41 AM »
     Hi All:

I have the kit but no plans.  Can somebody help me find plans for this kit?

Tia.

Frank McCune

Offline John Kelly

• Commander
Re: Need plans for Sterling YAK 9.
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2015, 11:31:59 AM »
   ...Hey Frank, Barry Baxter's Controlline Plans Service has them.  Cheers,  John
AMA 11416

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2015, 01:42:25 PM »
     Hi All:

I have the kit but no plans.  Can somebody help me find plans for this kit?

Tia.

Frank McCune

Hi Frank,

Do you want the Sterling Instructions or scratch build plans?  Barry has the scratch build plans.  Maybe a member has the instructions.  I have a set of the Sterling instructions some place but don't have a clue if I could find them.   

BIG Bear
RNMM/AMM
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Offline Perry Rose

• Go vote, it's so easy dead people do it all the time.
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2015, 04:07:23 PM »
Brodak has both.
I may be wrong but I doubt it.
I wouldn't take her to a dog fight even if she had a chance to win.
The worst part of growing old is remembering when you were young.

Offline Dennis Leonhardi

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • AirClassix on eBay
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2015, 03:35:05 AM »
Frank, I've emailed the Sterling instructions in pdf form.  Have fun!

Dennis
Think for yourself !  XXX might win the Nats, be an expert on designing, building, finishing, flying, tuning engines - but you might not wanna take tax advice from him.  Or consider his views on the climate to be fact ...

Offline EddyR

• Admiral
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2015, 12:05:46 PM »
Frank
 Keep the spar straight and the rest will fall into place. There is no way to build it incorrect.
Ed
Locust NC 40 miles from the Huntersville field

Offline frank mccune

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2015, 03:04:00 PM »
     Hi All:

Thanks for all of the help.

I bought a "kit" for $10.00 that was in a small shopping bag.  Talk about a pig in a poke!  The main spar is missing as well of  some other pieces.  I need an idea as to what to make to complete the plane.

I always liked the looks of the YAK 9 and would like to convert this kit into a YAK 3.  The YAK 3 is also an attractive plane.

Stay well my friends,

Frank McCune

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2015, 06:39:09 PM »
     Hi All:

I bought a "kit" for $10.00 that was in a small shopping bag.  Talk about a pig in a poke!  The main spar is missing as well of  some other pieces.  I need an idea as to what to make to complete the plane.

I always liked the looks of the YAK 9 and would like to convert this kit into a YAK 3.  The YAK 3 is also an attractive plane.

Stay well my friends,

Frank McCune

Hi Frank,

In the case of missing parts, I think I would go with a set of "building" plans and not the kit's instruction sheet.  That way you will have full size templates to make parts from.  I do know Barry Baxter has a great set for that kit.

BIG Bear
RNMM/AMM

Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Offline RknRusty

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
    • My Tube channel
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2015, 08:02:15 PM »
    Hi All:

I bought a "kit" for $10.00 that was in a small shopping bag.  Talk about a pig in a poke!  The main spar is missing as well of  some other pieces.  I need an idea as to what to make to complete the plane.

I always liked the looks of the YAK 9 and would like to convert this kit into a YAK 3.  The YAK 3 is also an attractive plane.

Stay well my friends,

Frank McCune

I built mine without the spar. The small wing is very stiff without it and it flies great. And if you nose it in moderately hard, the spar isn't there to rip the ribs to shreds. I'm sure I'll get a lot of disagreement over that, but I'd do it again after experiencing how much fun it is to fly and how tough it is. I built it with flaps and it's a remarkably snappy plane to fly. It really goes where you point it. I'd like a Sterling F-51 to go with it. Mine has a Fox Stunt 35.
Rusty
DON'T PANIC!
Rusty Knowlton
... and never Ever think about how good you are at something...
while you're doing it!

Jackson Flyers Association (a.k.a. The Wildcat Rangers(C/L))- Fort Jackson, SC
Metrolina Control Line Society (MCLS) - Huntersville, NC - The Carolina Gang
Congaree Flyers - Gaston, SC -  http://www.congareeflyer.com
www.coxengineforum.com

Offline Douglas Ames

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2015, 09:30:45 PM »
I have a Sterling kit of this. How does it fly without the flaps?
I'd recommend the scratch built plans. The Sterling "plans" are just a building guide anyway.
AMA 656546

If you do a little bit every day it will get done, or you can do it tomorrow.

Offline Serge_Krauss

• Admiral
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2015, 10:16:27 AM »
A decade ago, I took my Sterling instructions to a copier service and just magnified the 2-View to the specified span. Lines are kinda wide and splochy, but you can cut parts from them. The instructions give all you need about structure. Ribs are straight tapered and the leading-edge and trailing edge stock help determine the successive sections, starting at the root. Without rib templates, you wouldn't come out "perfectly," but I think that you could draw up root and adequate tip sections and sand a set the old-fashioned way. Profili II would give you print outs of all ribs, if you input root and tip coordinates (remembering to remove the 1/16" edges for center planking, when you cut the ribs).

The plane should fly comparably with and without movable flaps, since it is short-coupled, and the flat stationary flaps do increase the section's performance marginally over a flapless profile anyway. I built the kit stock (with movable flaps) in about 1960. It flew nicely. As a kid with good reflexes and no idea of "the" stunt pattern, I used to fly it with a $5.98 McCoy .35, leaned out, on 52' lines, and did a few successful "white-knuckle"  verticle lazy eights with the outside loops at the bottom. Unfortunately, the 2-3 unsuccessful 8's reduced it to pieces too small to re-use. But I loved that plane.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here