News:

• March 28, 2024, 12:17:12 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Fox .35 Stunt vs. McCoy .35 RedHead for stunt?  (Read 1797 times)

Offline frank mccune

• AMA Member
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Fox .35 Stunt vs. McCoy .35 RedHead for stunt?
« on: April 17, 2015, 05:57:38 AM »
     Hello All:

I recently bought some new ready to fly planes that have new Fox .35 or McCoy engines installed. My question is which engine would be the better choice for sport flying?

The one McCoy that I tested, started second flip and ran very well on the test stand.  I have no experience with the McCoy .35 and only know what has been posted here. I have a great deal of experience with the Fox engines.

Would it be worth my time to replace the McCoy engines with the Fox engines?

Of course, I will run both engines with 28% castor oil fuel.

Suggestions?

Tia,

Frank

Offline Phil Krankowski

• Admiral
Re: Fox .35 Stunt vs. McCoy .35 RedHead for stunt?
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2015, 06:15:04 AM »
Use high oil fuel in both brands, good engines are good engines.  A second flip start is a good engine!

Changing between Fox and McCoy will cause a headache of mounting since the McCoy is wider.  

Changing the Fox to a modern OS should be simple as the mounting patterns are near identical.

Phil

Offline Larrys4227

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2015, 06:41:23 AM »
The McCoy isnt going to perform well with a tongue muffler ... if your thought is there to install one. I've got 3 of them ... all great performers and 1-2 flip starts running no muffler.  Install a muffler and it kills it .... doesn't seem to like the back pressure.  Thats my experience.

Otherwise, I've loved the McCoys at 28% oil content ... they are just really loud.

Offline BillP

• 21 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2015, 12:44:26 PM »
I'm kinda late to this thread but I don't visit often enough to stay up with the times.  I fly both in multiple planes and prefer the McCoy. McCoys pull a few hundred rpms higher (static on the bench) with the same prop, fuel, plug and don't burp in the air. Both start the same whether hot or cold. Overall, the Fox is a close 2nd and survives lean runs better...but burps.

Bill

I just re-read this post and corrected a bunch of typos...I'm blind without glasses and totally missed them the first time around!  I will add that I fly a McCoy 40RH with a Big Art tongue muffler and it doesn't rob enough power to make a difference...in a scratch built T-Bird I (upright engine).  
« Last Edit: May 09, 2015, 06:38:44 AM by BillP »
Bill P.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here