News:

• April 19, 2024, 12:18:49 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Speed tanks?  (Read 3770 times)

Offline Andrew Tinsley

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Speed tanks?
« on: April 16, 2015, 10:53:48 AM »
For the moment, I have put aside the vintage monoline speed jobs. I am trying to get a 4 stroke speed model up and running for a new whacky class here in the UK. My speed knowledge is 50 years out of date, so what sort of tank would people advise? Both for the vintage stuff (Mac 60 and Dooling 61) and for the 4 stroke model? Any good place to find information?

Thanks,

Andrew.
BMFA Number 64862

Offline Andrew Tinsley

• Admiral
Re: Speed tanks?
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2015, 11:27:28 AM »
OK, so it looks very much as though no one has written the bible for tanks! So can anyone give me an idea for a McCoy 6O tank.

Thanks,

Andrew.
BMFA Number 64862

Offline rustler

• Captain
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2015, 02:08:00 PM »
I am trying to get a 4 stroke speed model up and running .. what sort of tank would people advise? Both for the vintage stuff (Mac 60 and Dooling 61) and for the 4 stroke model? Any good place to find information? Thanks, Andrew.

Andrew - I think any std. "B" T/R tank would do for the 4-str. Or certainly that configuration. Maybe a bit over 30cc? First try some fuel consumption tests?
I will be using a rear feed uniflow tank, narrow at the front, wider at the back, with pick-up and vent both going to the rear.
My Weatherman has a similar but front feed. The problem is that if you spend too much time setting the engine too much fuel gets used and when you release the model the remaining fuel runs to the back of the tank and starves the engine.
Ian Russell.
[I can remember the schedule o.k., the problem is remembering what was the last manoeuvre I just flew!].

Offline Dane Martin

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • heli pilot BHOR
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2015, 03:44:46 PM »
I'm still learning this whole speed plane building thing, but the plans on my lil' dynamite show this tank. Now this is a 21 sport speed, so I'm thinking you'll need somewhere in the 3 oz range? You definitely don't want a super long run in speed! Four stroke as you know is gonna be much different. I'm curious to know how much less fuel you'll use. My 2stroke rm uses 4oz for the pattern. My 4stroke rm uses 2oz for the same flight time.

Offline Bob Heywood

• Admiral
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2015, 07:39:49 AM »
The attached cut shows the tank from the Pink Lady F-40 plan. It's pretty generic for speed models. There is also a tank shown on the plan for a speed design called Mad John on Hip Pocket.
"Clockwise Forever..."

Offline bob whitney

• Admiral
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2015, 08:53:19 AM »

i knew this didnt look right ,this tank is for an inverted F-40 that flys clock wise so everything needs to be reversed , but the tank shape is as good as it gets
rad racer

Offline Bob Heywood

• Admiral
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2015, 10:39:55 AM »

i knew this didnt look right ,this tank is for an inverted F-40 that flys clock wise so everything needs to be reversed , but the tank shape is as good as it gets

"Clockwise Forever..."
"Clockwise Forever..."

Offline Andrew Tinsley

• Admiral
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2015, 10:00:48 AM »
Thanks everyone! That should get me started. I too am curious as to the consumption for the 4 stroke. I will let you know the results in due course.

Andrew.
BMFA Number 64862

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here