News:

• March 29, 2024, 04:28:10 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Pote Land , Pote Land ... City a Roses  (Read 2475 times)

John Leidle

• Trade Count: (0)
Pote Land , Pote Land ... City a Roses
« on: April 14, 2015, 12:56:12 AM »
  That's the way the Porter used to say it as the Union Pacific pulled into Portland  ,  any way be there or stay home & weed your old lady's garden,, the weather is forecast to be nice & they always put on a good event.  I'm flying the Nakke's last contest probably it's last flights 19 years & who knows how many official flights?  It's showing signs of wear & I need the space for other planes..

Walter Hicks

Re: Pote Land , Pote Land ... City a Roses
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2015, 10:13:33 AM »

speaking of Portland where is an affordable motel close to the flying field?

Offline Alan Resinger

• Captain
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2015, 01:13:41 PM »
Walter,
You might have to go into Vancouver, Washington to find something reasonable.  I usually stay at the Marriott Courtyard which is only about a 1/4 mile but their rates doubled since last year.  Luckily, Chris has a freebie, thanks to all the travel he does for the Canadian Govt. 
See you there.
Alan

Offline JoeJust

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2015, 01:39:23 PM »
I always stay at the Super 8 at the airport. About $70/night.  Nice easy drive from there to  Delta Park via NE Marine Drive.  Driving? Leave RT 5 at Portland airport exit.  That route takes you right past Super 8 at the airport exit.
Joe
I only enter contests so somebody else is not always in last place

Offline FLOYD CARTER

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • owner
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2015, 04:26:10 PM »
We just love Portland.  My wife will always go with me to Portland, just to see the flowers, and to shop. We sometimes hop on Amtrack and spend a day in your beautiful city.  I would like to visit with you this w/E, but we have to travel to CA to visit with the kids and grandkids.

Floyd in Eugene, OR
89 years, but still going (sort of)
AMA #796  SAM #188  LSF #020

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2015, 04:29:07 PM »
I may blast down for Saturday only. We'll see. Not very prepared, I'm afraid. It will just be with the Classic plane.
Member in good standing of P.I.S.T
(Politically Incorrect Stunt Team)
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2015, 11:01:04 PM »
I got a couple of combined family birthday parties to go to on that Saturday; a daughter's and a nephew's. And saving coin for going to Roseburg for Regionals. So, I'll be MIA.  y1 Steve
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2015, 05:56:44 PM »
We think he just Googles his name every day, to see if we are talking trash about him...still.   LL~ Steve
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

John Leidle

« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2015, 05:45:36 PM »
  80 degrees today in Vancouver

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2015, 06:04:55 PM »
It's a beautiful day here in Redland.  The speed and racing guys should be getting perfect weather.  Tomorrow and Sunday look mighty good, too.
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline Bill Morell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2015, 06:45:42 AM »
I guess a rational answer to Dirty Dan is unavailable.
Bill Morell
It wasn't that you could and others couldn't, its that you did and others didn't.
Vietnam 72-73
  Better to have it and not need it than it is to need it and not have it.

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2015, 07:10:05 PM »
Windy today.  Sportsman Profile saw four of the six entrants succumb to engine problems or wind and crash -- including Mike Hazel's Cardinal, which went slack on the lines and then broke both lines at the handle when it hit the end again.  Fortunately it went into a tree right by the circle.

The other three events were much less exciting -- Old Time was done before the wind kicked up.  The wind was starting to affect things for Classic/Nostalgia but it wasn't as severe as Profile, which was held later.  Through whatever combination of luck and better preparation, the Expert Profile crew managed to pull it all off without any unscheduled ground contact, although I did manage to put in a rather poor performance, forgetting the triangle (!) in my first flight, and launching too rich on my second, getting blown all over the sky because I was going slow, and then and burping severely in the second loop of the clover and bailing out.
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2015, 08:29:35 PM »
Tim,, thanks for the update ,, hate that some lost planes,, echh,,
did you use your tach and end up to rich?
hey if you see anybody taking pictures I need a report and pictures for my column,, at least details,, and I can write up something,, but pictures are import,,
thanks,, good luck tomorrow,,
For years the rat race had me going around in circles, Now I do it for fun!
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Offline Russell Shaffer

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2015, 08:35:05 PM »
Bill, I understand that Dan has moved on to other interests and is no longer flying.  He does occasionly check in on the forums   too bad - I got a lot of very good advice from him.
Russell Shaffer
Klamath Falls, Oregon
Just North of the California border

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2015, 08:55:37 PM »
Windy today.  Sportsman Profile saw four of the six entrants succumb to engine problems or wind and crash.

Correction -- three.  Mike Hazel's lines broke.  Mike Massey's engine cut out inverted and he wisely whipped it over to land in the grass, overshot, and put it in a tree.  Tom Brightbill lost line tension either overhead in the wingover or after pulling out; either way he bounced, taking off one propeller blade but not stopping the engine, then he purposely bounced again to kill the engine.  Tom's event was almost sorta not really a crash, as there was no evident damage beyond the prop.

Tim,, thanks for the update ,, hate that some lost planes,, echh,,
did you use your tach and end up to rich?

I have gotten my hands on an original TNC tach, and used it for the first time.  It reads differently than the Hobbico tach, and I didn't do the translation correctly, apparently.
AMA 64232

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #15 on: April 18, 2015, 09:09:50 PM »
Sounds exciting. I stayed home and puttered in the shop with a killer head cold. Should be fun night coughing a lung up. Joy.
Member in good standing of P.I.S.T
(Politically Incorrect Stunt Team)
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
« Reply #16 on: April 18, 2015, 09:54:23 PM »
Tim, glad Toms plane suffered no apparant damage,, but he needs to do a crack check,, engine running with a broken prop is bad bad mojo,, things can go bad in hidden places,, which plane was it,, not his Shark I hope? not good to hear of Mike's misfortune , that he was flying that plane better,,and trees,, it sounds like Mike did everything right, and the trees conspired to wump him up sida' head, bad deal. was the plane totalled?
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Online Howard Rush

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #17 on: April 18, 2015, 10:27:43 PM »
If Randy's not going, I'm not going.  Please get me the scores.
The Jive Combat Team
Making combat and stunt great again

Offline Bill Morell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #18 on: April 19, 2015, 07:21:17 PM »
Bill, I understand that Dan has moved on to other interests and is no longer flying.  He does occasionly check in on the forums   too bad - I got a lot of very good advice from him.

Russell, thank you for answering my question. Your right, it is too bad.
Bill Morell
It wasn't that you could and others couldn't, its that you did and others didn't.
Vietnam 72-73
  Better to have it and not need it than it is to need it and not have it.

Offline Russell Shaffer

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #19 on: April 19, 2015, 08:47:03 PM »
What Tim didn't mention was that it was so bad that mike got second place even with the tree event.  It was wild.
Russell Shaffer
Klamath Falls, Oregon
Just North of the California border

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #20 on: April 19, 2015, 09:32:09 PM »
was the plane totalled?

I didn't look at the pieces, but I could see that the wings & nose hit the ground about a quarter of a second before the tail section fluttered down.
What Tim didn't mention was that it was so bad that mike got second place even with the tree event.  It was wild.

Third place, but yes, it was wild.
AMA 64232

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #21 on: April 19, 2015, 09:37:04 PM »
If Randy's not going, I'm not going.  Please get me the scores.

You missed a nice day of flying today.  I overheard someone mentioning that they were having trouble fitting "Delta Park" and "stunt heaven" into the same sentence -- and indeed it wasn't that idyllic, with some serious wind mid-morning.  But for quite a good portion of the day the breeze was always out of the same quarter, and was always strong enough to blow your turbulence away without ever being so bad that you even had to think of windup.
AMA 64232

Offline johnt4051

• Commander
    • Flying Lines
« Reply #22 on: April 20, 2015, 06:15:01 PM »
Fireballs put on a great contest and everyone had a great time, all in all.  I'll have a full report and lots of photos on Flying Lines in a day or two, soon's I take care of some real life interferences and put out the bonfire I made with my new plane in the backyard.   LL~

--jt
John Thompson
Flying Lines

Offline Michael Massey

• Commander
« Reply #23 on: April 26, 2015, 11:10:51 PM »
Mark, thanks for the "fate of the plane" inquiry.  When it hit the tree or the ground, the fuse snapped off right behind the wing T/E.  It hit the tree so slowly that the leading edge had no damage from the impact.  It was probably being snapped 180 from the flight path when it hit the tree that broke the fuse.  Looks like an easy fix however.

The engine quit in the Cloverleaf while in one of the inverted sections, don't remember which one.  It quit simply because I missed the needle and it was running too rich.  As it was stated, I still took second, and that was my first flight of that event.  I took second only because I got through more of the pattern than some of the others who also experienced the "Murphy" syndrome.  Still had a lot of fun at the contest however.

Mike
Eagle Point, Oregon
AMA 914713

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #24 on: April 26, 2015, 11:16:44 PM »
When it hit the tree or the ground, the fuse snapped off right behind the wing T/E.

Mike, it definitely came out of the tree in two pieces -- I heard someone say "uh-oh", looked over, and saw you whipping the thing for about half a lap.  I saw it hit the tree.  I distinctly remember seeing one whole airplane going into the tree, and two large pieces of airplane come out.
AMA 64232

Online Howard Rush

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #25 on: April 26, 2015, 11:21:44 PM »
Who among us has not hit a tree with a control line airplane?
The Jive Combat Team
Making combat and stunt great again

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
« Reply #26 on: April 26, 2015, 11:47:24 PM »
Who among us has not hit a tree with a control line airplane?
well,, trees no,, cyclone fencing,, yes,, tall brush along a creek bed,, yes,, now with my RC planes,, I have several tree encounters,,
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #27 on: April 27, 2015, 12:38:00 PM »
I have hit trees, weeds, fence, a car and a tool/pit box.   I won't count the planes I've hit.
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here