News:

• April 19, 2024, 05:11:36 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Tower Website - Where Are the OS LA-S engines?  (Read 4746 times)

Offline Steve Scott

• 21 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain
  • Terrorizing earthworms since '65
Tower Website - Where Are the OS LA-S engines?
« on: April 12, 2015, 06:09:17 PM »
I just tried to look up an OS .25 LA-S on Tower's website and it appears they no longer carry any of the OS LA-S CL engines.  Not listed under category or by brand.  If fact, the only non-RC glow engines are the ST .34 and .51 sizes.

Bummer...

Offline Geoff Goodworth

• Captain
Re: Tower Website - Where Are the OS LA-S engines?
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2015, 06:21:49 PM »
Steve, this subject was done to death under teh topic OS engines further down the page.

Offline dennis lipsett

• Admiral
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2015, 06:42:07 PM »
Rusty,

it is never called the empire rather it is the 'Evil Empire' or my favorite, Great Pain.

Dennis

Offline Steve Scott

• 21 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2015, 06:58:23 PM »
Steve, this subject was done to death under teh topic OS engines further down the page.

Apologies, I did a search for 'Tower' before I posted.  Didn't get a hit on the earlier thread.

Offline Steven Kientz

• Captain
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2015, 02:39:55 PM »
I received a new Tower Talk ad in the mail today. Page 28 shows the OS 25 LA-S for $79.98. The .46 is listed under La for R/C. I guess their marketing dept. isn't in the loop.
Steve
Steve Kientz
AMA 855912

Online RC Storick

• Forum owner
  • Administrator
  • Admiral
  • The finish starts with the first piece of wood cut
    • Stunt Hangar
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2015, 04:16:13 PM »
I just tried to look up an OS .25 LA-S on Tower's website and it appears they no longer carry any of the OS LA-S CL engines.  Not listed under category or by brand.  If fact, the only non-RC glow engines are the ST .34 and .51 sizes.

Bummer...

http://www.towerhobbies.com/products/os_engines/air_la_engines_index.html
AMA 12366

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Just here for the fun of it also.
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2015, 04:30:45 PM »
Yes,

Late April. No reason the quality should be any different in this next batch?
Trump Derangement Syndrome. TDS. 
Avaiojet Derangement Syndrome. ADS.
Amazing how ignorance can get in the way of the learning process.
If you're Trolled, you know you're doing something right.  Alpha Mike Foxtrot. "No one has ever made a difference by being like everyone else."  Marcus Cordeiro, The "Mark of Excellence," you will not be forgotten. "No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot."- Mark Twain. I look at the Forum as a place to contribute and make friends, some view it as a Realm where they could be King.   Proverb 11.9  "With his mouth the Godless destroys his neighbor..."  "Perhaps the greatest challenge in modeling is to build a competitive control line stunter that looks like a real airplane." David McCellan, 1980.

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2015, 09:18:23 AM »
OS LA .46 R/C to OS LA .46 CL.

Venturi, NVA, metal backplate.

NDAIAA. Nothing difficult about it at all.
If you're Trolled, you know you're doing something right.  Alpha Mike Foxtrot. "No one has ever made a difference by being like everyone else."  Marcus Cordeiro, The "Mark of Excellence," you will not be forgotten. "No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot."- Mark Twain. I look at the Forum as a place to contribute and make friends, some view it as a Realm where they could be King.   Proverb 11.9  "With his mouth the Godless destroys his neighbor..."  "Perhaps the greatest challenge in modeling is to build a competitive control line stunter that looks like a real airplane." David McCellan, 1980.

Offline Randy Ryan

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
Randy Ryan <><
AMA 8500
SAM 36 BO all my own M's

Offline Chris Belcher

• Commander
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2015, 03:14:15 PM »
One does have to drill out the case for the st needle..it's .156, bigger than the OS. I think OS is .130. And replace the phillips with socket heads...well you don't HAVE to but...

Online Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2015, 04:33:26 PM »
One does have to drill out the case for the st needle..it's .156, bigger than the OS. I think OS is .130. And replace the phillips with socket heads...well you don't HAVE to but...

That's true for an ST needle or the various clones/  I would suggest getting the stock OS spraybar assy =- I think it goes right through the existing hole.

Brett

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2015, 05:15:14 AM »
I just got an E-mail from Tower Hobbies.

Says they now have OS LA .46 R/C engines in stock.

Offline Geoff Goodworth

• Captain
« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2015, 08:34:19 PM »
Brett's correct. The screws holding the carb are M3.5 so the stock OS NVA slips straight in.

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2015, 09:32:03 PM »
Brett's correct. The screws holding the carb are M3.5 so the stock OS NVA slips straight in.

That's true enough, but then you're stuck with an OS NV Assy and nothing else (pretty much) will fit. At least, nothing that is commonly available in your buddy's field kit. Besides, does the ratchet system work as well as Randy Smith's plastic collet setup? No, sorry, not even close.   S?P  Steve
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Offline Dennis Moritz

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2015, 10:48:44 PM »
The OS needles work fine in the LA engines. Many of those flying around that way.

Offline Dick Pacini

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #15 on: April 25, 2015, 12:53:23 AM »
The OS needles work fine in the LA engines. Many of those flying around that way.

Which OS needle assembly?
AMA 62221

Once, twice, three times a lady.  Four times and she does it for a living.  "You want me on that wall.  You need me on that wall."

Offline Wayne J. Buran

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #16 on: April 25, 2015, 05:23:40 AM »
OS 22311000 20-40FP-s Needle valve assembly if you can find them.
Wayne
Wayne Buran
Medina, Ohio
AMA 14986 CD
USAF Veteran 35 TAC GP/ 6236 CSG, DonMuang RTAFB, Bangkok, Thailand 65-66 North Coast Controliners   "A fine is a tax for doing wrong. A tax is a fine for doing well!

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #17 on: April 25, 2015, 06:20:29 AM »

That's true enough, but then you're stuck with an OS NV Assy and nothing else (pretty much) will fit. At least, nothing that is commonly available in your buddy's field kit. Besides, does the ratchet system work as well as Randy Smith's plastic collet setup? No, sorry, not even close.   S?P  Steve

With profile mounted engines, there's no hole to make in the fuselage. I have a few NVA that are "ratchet" and I'm not using them because of a larger hole needed in the fuselage. I only have one "ratchet" type on my profile Pathfinder.

Steve is making plenty of sense.

I have a plastic collet type NVA and I cannot remember where I got it?

I'd like to see a photo of Randy's offering. I'm convinced it would be my choice.

Photo anyone?

Offline Dennis Moritz

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #18 on: April 25, 2015, 10:01:43 AM »
Ugh. Please. I choose to believe my lying eyes (and ears). Tower has the OS needles back in stock. I just ordered 3. Listed as   FP 20-25 needle for some reason. Same needle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: April 25, 2015, 02:06:48 PM by Dennis Moritz »

Offline John Rist

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #19 on: April 25, 2015, 12:50:59 PM »
OS 22311000 20-40FP-s Needle valve assembly if you can find them.
Wayne

In stock at Tower

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0095p?FVSEARCH=+22311000
John Rist
AMA 56277

Offline Leester

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
« Reply #20 on: April 25, 2015, 01:22:43 PM »
Charles... Here is a Randy Smith Aero Products PA NVA
Leester
ama 830538

Offline Dennis Moritz

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #21 on: April 25, 2015, 02:15:57 PM »
The Randy needle has a finer thread, finer adjustment. Useful in some applications. The click click OS needle works well in the LA46. An engine with a wide spread of usable tune. Using it means no need to drill the case. Not so easy to get the holes true and exactly lined up. Holes which then have to match venturi holes. Folks asking these questions benefit from the easy fit of an OS stock needle. They are not the most experienced. The comparatively docile LA46 does fine using the stock FP clicker. Any contest I've attended, since these engines were discovered, is flooded with LA46s using OS needles.

Offline John Rist

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #22 on: April 25, 2015, 03:32:58 PM »
The Randy needle has a finer thread, finer adjustment. Useful in some applications. The click click OS needle works well in the LA46. An engine with a wide spread of usable tune. Using it means no need to drill the case. Not so easy to get the holes true and exactly lined up. Holes which then have to match venturi holes. Folks asking these questions benefit from the easy fit of an OS stock needle. They are not the most experienced. The comparatively docile LA46 does fine using the stock FP clicker. Any contest I've attended, since these engines were discovered, is flooded with LA46s using OS needles.

Where can I get a metal back plate for the LA 46
John Rist
AMA 56277

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #23 on: April 25, 2015, 04:42:46 PM »
Charles... Here is a Randy Smith Aero Products PA NVA

Leester,

Thanks for posting that photo. I actually have one of them. Possibly purchased from Randy or from another CL modeler.

I will send Randy a note and purchase a couple of them.

Great for any application, especially scale or semi-scale, with that long thin needle.

Thanks again.

Charles

Offline Steve Scott

• 21 supporter
  • Captain

Offline Steve Scott

• 21 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #25 on: April 27, 2015, 06:50:29 PM »
I received a new Tower Talk ad in the mail today. Page 28 shows the OS 25 LA-S for $79.98. The .46 is listed under La for R/C. I guess their marketing dept. isn't in the loop.
Steve

Go to their website and pound in the code TE1422 for the 25LA-S and it comes up Discontinued.  Same for the TE1420 25LA RC engine.  TE1421 for the 46LA RC engine shows they are still in stock.

Online Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #26 on: April 27, 2015, 10:09:14 PM »
At least, nothing that is commonly available in your buddy's field kit. Besides, does the ratchet system work as well as Randy Smith's plastic collet setup? No, sorry, not even close.   S?P  Steve

I think it's a toss-up. I actually prefer the click-type needles in principle, and the OS type supports the needle much better than the ST. The needle is a close fit in the (smooth) bore so the needle is supported all the way to where the taper starts, as opposed to on the very tip end of the collet. The support at a single point sometimes makes the needle vibrate like a tuning fork. I have it on an unimpeachable (almost literally, it seems...) source that Big Jim first diagnosed the issue.

It's easy to be too clever with the adjustments with no clicks.

The big improvement that the Randy and Jett spraybars have over the ST is that the teflon or nylon packing washer damps the tuning fork vibration you get with the ST.

Brett

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #27 on: April 29, 2015, 04:10:50 PM »
I just purchased a NVA from Randy Smith.

I have a poor memory, but I believe I may have purchased one from Randy a while back?I'll know when I get it.

It's not of the ratchet type. I need one like Randy's for The Tank Buster. Allows for a much smaller exit hole.

Click on the Aero Products photo and the airplane will fly.  ;D

Offline dennis lipsett

• Admiral
« Reply #28 on: April 29, 2015, 05:13:46 PM »

I have a poor memory, but I believe I may have purchased one from Randy a while back?I'll know when I get it.

It's not of the ratchet type. I need one like Randy's for The Tank Buster. Allows for a much smaller exit hole.

Considering that I have had them on order for months and a Kaz handle and still waiting you must be 'special'

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #29 on: April 29, 2015, 05:35:18 PM »
Considering that I have had them on order for months and a Kaz handle and still waiting you must be 'special'

Dennis,

I'm being put on the list also.

My model is far from finished, The Tank Buster, so I'm not in any hurry.

Offline Bill Morell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #30 on: April 29, 2015, 07:35:50 PM »

I clicked on the Aero Products photo and your airplane didn't do a thing.........
Bill Morell
It wasn't that you could and others couldn't, its that you did and others didn't.
Vietnam 72-73
  Better to have it and not need it than it is to need it and not have it.

Offline billbyles

• AMA Member
  • Captain
« Reply #31 on: April 30, 2015, 12:23:19 AM »
I clicked on the Aero Products photo and your airplane didn't do a thing.........

You mean it still hasn't flown...?
Bill Byles
AMA 20913
So. Cal.

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #32 on: April 30, 2015, 08:49:48 AM »

Dennis,

What is a Kaz handle?

Offline Peter Grabenstein

• 2020 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #33 on: April 30, 2015, 10:07:32 AM »
Dennis,

What is a Kaz handle?

Custom made handle (only for CL Stunt use) I guess, design by
World Top Class F2B Pilot Mr. Kaz (firstname) Minato (lastname) Japan.

Tight Lines  H^^ Peter

BTW drifting "off-Topic"
I hate pessimists, I prefer optimists.
Impossible is done immediately, miracles take longer.
I don't care who your father is ......... as long as I fly here,
Nobody walks, runs, floats or flies across my circle ......... not even to fetch fish, wine or bread.

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #34 on: April 30, 2015, 10:37:59 AM »
Custom made handle (only for CL Stunt use) I guess, design by
World Top Class F2B Pilot Mr. Kaz (firstname) Minato (lastname) Japan.

Tight Lines  H^^ Peter

BTW drifting "off-Topic"

Peter,

I'm drifting! Read back a few posts.  LL~

Should there be a Thread on that handle? Photo.

Steve Scott is the PO

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here