News:

• March 29, 2024, 03:54:24 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: !/2A Replicas Magician Build and questions...  (Read 7123 times)

Offline jim gilmore

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
!/2A Replicas Magician Build and questions...
« on: April 07, 2015, 02:54:09 PM »
Ok, I got my kit and stuff from RSM and it looks great.
Only a small complaint. I hate cutting plans to build on but do not see a straight line across that dosen't leave me cutting the drawing of a rib in half. My building area isn't particulary large
If that's the biggest problem oh well...
There is a 1/4X1/8 spar doubler shown but I am unclear of exactly where to position it. In front of the spar ? in back of the spar or under the spar ? I am thing under the spar but not 100% sure.
I'll get the Building board out of storage and see if I can get a photo as I start .
Jim Gilmore

Offline Rosie Rosenau

• Tally ho
  • Lieutenant
Re: !/2A Replicas Magician Build and questions...
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2015, 08:15:40 PM »
The doubler goes on top of the bottom spar and on the bottom of the top spar.  The ribs will need to be trimmed a bit to have them fit. I used spruce on the pink and lime green magicians because they were not in the kit. The two new magicians have them in the body balls. So these will not be  hardwood but balsa instead.  I have not looked at these new kits ribs but just expect to trim them a tad.  I hope this help you and anyone else that comes across this issue.  Also the new kit has full span spars where my first two had 18 or 24 inch spars but I replaced them from my own wood stock. Hope this helps everyone.
Tally ho
Rosie
Richard "Rosie" Rosenau Jr, Yelm WA, USA

Offline jim gilmore

• Admiral
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2015, 10:18:18 PM »
Got my building board out and set up.
Pinned the lower spar in place and glued the center doubler onto it.
Started off buy adding 2 piece of 1/4 square between the center ribs for the bellcrank mount.
Then added a few ribs starting on the inboard wing.
Glue the 1/8 sq leading edge to them and have been adding ribs all day.
The half-ribs are only slotted for 1 spar so you need to trim them for the second spar to fit.
I also have been widening the spar cuts on the ribs so that they fit onto the spars.
Not yet sure if i am short a second spar doubler since I might have it some place in the box. but I have a small dresser I have as my work station.
Photos have been taken and will add them tomorrow i hope.

Offline jim gilmore

• Admiral
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2015, 05:22:29 PM »
Ok not to self.
If I build a second. Remember to trim the center ribs and install the bell Crank before doing anything. It barely fits in that area and needs to have the rib clearance trimmed to start.
I need smaller finger.
Hoping that the wing doesnt come out too bad but time will tell...
Wonder what a decent 1/2A magician wing should weight finished but uncovered ??

Offline Rosie Rosenau

• Tally ho
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2015, 10:30:39 PM »
I wish I could help on a wing weight but I can say this my final flying weight is within 20 grams of 500 grams. Also let RSM know about the issues we have found with the Magicians computer kit files. So we should be getting better and better magicians. I only had 1 center wing spar doubler and it was on the fuselage 1/4 thick plank. This will be A balsa spar doubler and not spruce. Should still be an easy and more than strong enough kits. Also I have crashed my magicians 2 times in the last 3 days. My new kit has the main landing gear already bent. Did your kit come this way too or is it straight rod and you get to bend it yourself?

Offline jim gilmore

• Admiral
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2015, 03:53:51 AM »
Landing, gear is pre bent.
Yes only 1 spar doubler is provided but can easily cut one from the same piece that had the center ribs on it.
I'm stuck as I try to get the belcrank setup or I'll be cutting into the wing to do that later..so...
as I find my tools I am working on maybe cutting a fuselage and examining how to mount the rest of the stuff on a wing I have in my inventory of started planes in storage....
Pictuure need to be uploaded....and soon i;ll have to get all my stuff into the trailer and work there.....as summer come...

Offline Rosie Rosenau

• Tally ho
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2015, 09:39:23 AM »
Actually he cares a lot.RSM is a single person doing everything. Any time I find any issues I let Eric Rule know and he corrects it.  Eric feels his kits are not for beginners. Instead experienced builders are suggested. ANY problems Eric was always willing to talk it over on the phone and it was the best customer service I have ever come across. I will continue to buy from Eric if for no other reason his customer service and the challenge of the build which for me is a plus since I dislike easy and always strive for challenges.

Like I noted Eric Rule is the only person at RSM a one man shop.  I cut slack for anyone in that arena.

Offline Larry Renger

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2015, 11:36:21 PM »
Just so you know, Eric has a 1/2A size Still Stuka available, and the Pinto is actually a scaled down DeeRice Oriental.

He also can provide my Sky Sport and Sky Streak models. (See my avatar for the Sky Streak).
Think S.M.A.L.L. y'all and, it's all good, CL, FF and RC!

DesignMan
 BTW, Dracula Sucks!  A closed mouth gathers no feet!

Offline jim gilmore

• Admiral
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2015, 01:09:49 PM »
Ok just to be clear...
I placed some 1/4 square stock where the belcrank mounts and will place the actual 1/32 plywood pieces on tope and bottom of that. Figured it made the actual mount for secure.

At this time the only problems i noticed were  only 1 or 2 spar doubles and most os the 1/2 ibs have just 1 spar cut in them.

Not an actual question on the kit but on the power system...
 Last line on the power system instruction reads..
NOTE: SWITCH IS "OFF" WHEN TOGGLE IS CLOSEST TO WIRES>

have I missed something or where is the toggle ??

Offline Rosie Rosenau

• Tally ho
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2015, 01:41:43 PM »
Hey there Jim, I will let Eric or Larry reply about the switch question . Also Eric posted on the issues we have had on the Magician and noted he corrected his cut file. As to the motor mount I know my newest magicians are designed for a electric Turnigy motor.  For mine it is a 1/4inch stock fuselage with the 1/32 lite ply over that with some stacked 1/8" ply put behind the motor with triangle plywood to secure those flat ply motor mounts to the 1/4" balsa 1/32 ply fuselage nose.  I have not built this style yet due to a rebuild if my life.e green flapped magician. I will post a pic of that part of the plans and the wood for it next. Should help. I hope... lol

Offline Rosie Rosenau

• Tally ho
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2015, 01:51:02 PM »
Here is the nose section of my new style magician. Thank you Eric for doing this for me. I live the design you provided.
Tally ho
Rosie

Offline jim gilmore

• Admiral
« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2015, 02:03:52 PM »
That is the way mine is also. Though you do not show the capture bearing box parts in your photo. They are on the sheet and seem kind of straight forward. My only question is are the holes in the plywood critical in alignment with/or to the  motor??

Offline Rosie Rosenau

• Tally ho
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2015, 03:40:05 PM »
With Erics motors the shaft goes all the way through the back and extend as the plans show so the bearing support keeps the motor shaft from flexing during maneuvering. So with that set up it would be important that they line up true. My Turnigy motor shaft only extend out the back if I crash them nose first. Then my shafts are like magic and extend out the back like Erics

Offline jim gilmore

• Admiral
« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2015, 05:32:16 PM »
Also wondering what glue you would use on the motor parts to each other..

Offline Rosie Rosenau

• Tally ho
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2015, 07:08:43 PM »
Epoxy is probably best so I used EXTRA THICK super glue and sandwiched the body with wax paper and added a wide plank of ply and then weight. Per set for an hour... It is super glue and then sanded smooth and added more glue in any crevasse and hit them with exxellorator because super glue takes such q long time to cure... unless it is on my fingers.

Offline jim gilmore

• Admiral
« Reply #15 on: April 20, 2015, 05:25:16 PM »
Ok, my youngest daughter is having her second baby and in doing so the ex gave her the dress that was in this room.
So I am now building it on a lifetime/ 5 foot folding table. Be back in the desert in the trailer but tring to wait till the cooler weather is over.
I promised some photos so here goes...

Offline jim gilmore

• Admiral
« Reply #16 on: April 22, 2015, 01:57:23 PM »
Ok, attempt number two..(timed out while up loading this post)
I have been doing a little each day here is where my wing is now

Offline jim gilmore

• Admiral
« Reply #17 on: April 23, 2015, 01:36:42 PM »
I have started sheeting the wing center section. I am also building the wing tips. My only complaint is that the wing tips are 3 layers with the joints all in the same spot so I may try something we shall see.
My biggest complaint is the same problem I have had with all laser cut parts.
I have fumble fingers and if I grab something a bit roughly the ribs can split where the identification marks have been burned into the surface.
so far my wing is fairly straight. Not as straight as the ones I build on arrow shafts but its does seem to be lighter so far.

Offline Rosie Rosenau

• Tally ho
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #18 on: April 23, 2015, 05:32:06 PM »
The wingtips are different or really the same as yours on the new kit. The old kit was like the plans show 3 thin pieces laminated together. If the stacked wing tip is an issue I will make the top and bottom the same and custom cut the center pieces so they are not in line with top and bottom. I hoped these would be better and will be better when we get done. Eric also shows the last rib set covered to remove wing flex.on my flapped wing I will span in the trailing edge like Stunthanger does them on his YouTube video. You are making a standard wing so that would not be needed. Your coming along one piece at a time. The worst or most sensitive wing I made was for the Brodak 1/2A pathfinder. After glueing a dozen back together I seen in the DIRECTIONS they need to be broken in half and glued in that way.. lol I felt like a dog chasing his own tail!

Offline jim gilmore

• Admiral
« Reply #19 on: April 23, 2015, 05:57:57 PM »
What I have done is use a 3/4 inch wide emery board and file out a flat spot 3/4 " wide across each splice section. and glue in a piece of 1/32 that is left over from the sheeting material. This will mean that there Is a good solid over lap of material on each side of the splice and the the joint is both butt and lap jointed now.
Much stronger than a butt joint only.

Offline jim gilmore

• Admiral
Re: !/2A Build and questions...
« Reply #20 on: April 23, 2015, 09:53:46 PM »
Question for Rosie Rosario , Eric Rule or Larry Ranger.
since I am building the Replica Magician and asking questions and critiquing as I go.
Ribs R8 and R9 seem to have the spar cutout double the depth unless I am misunderstanding something ?
These are the 2 ribs at each end of each wing near the tips.
On mine I am just going to fill the space but if they are deeper than necessary just fix the drawing or cut file used to make them for future kits.

Offline Rosie Rosenau

• Tally ho
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #21 on: April 23, 2015, 10:25:26 PM »
OK I just looked at the plans and compared a R7 to R9 the 9 &8 are a tad thinner so can sheet them closed. The full size magician did not have this but the 1/2a seems to flex a bit more so if not sheeted the very last rib should be thicker if I remember Larry Renger plans.

Offline jim gilmore

• Admiral
« Reply #22 on: April 23, 2015, 10:31:54 PM »
Just to be sure i am talking about the actual cutout for the spar.

Offline jim gilmore

• Admiral
« Reply #23 on: April 25, 2015, 05:24:55 PM »
Here are 2 more photos.
Center section is sheeted but a little bumpy. I haven't got he desire to redo it and make it perfect. I'm sure it will fly as it is.
I have yet to install the weight box  though i know it will fit and has been built.
Need to install shear webs on the spar near the center section and the sheeting nearest the tips.
then install the inboard tip and adjustable leadout. And then put the small parts on the tips that make it all easier to cover.
Then it will be down to elevators and contr0ls and paint.

Offline jim gilmore

• Admiral
« Reply #24 on: April 29, 2015, 01:34:23 AM »
Oh,well was bound to happen. Not sure if its a design issue or my error.
I had put the 1/8 " spruce t/e on but had numerous high and low spots. Then put wrong flap on.
First off t/e sheeting is 1/32. So I'm going to sand the back of the wing till the t/e is 1/8 " and put in a new piece of 1/8 sq spruce. Then put the correct flap on.
I am  considering cutting a hole through the fuse and mounting a piece of 1/8 plywood to mount the battery horizontally in front of the wing. The it can be velcro strapped to that plate.

Offline jim gilmore

• Admiral
« Reply #25 on: April 30, 2015, 08:54:25 PM »
Here is what I have so far.... hoping to try a finish method soon...

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here