News:

• April 26, 2024, 09:34:26 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: A good Syringe for fuel??  (Read 4700 times)

Offline badbill

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Commander
A good Syringe for fuel??
« on: April 06, 2015, 09:49:24 AM »
I need a good Syringe for fuel. I have had two of the Sig ones, they last a month or so then freeze up and come apart.
About to fly some planes with pacifiers and need something reliable, that will last... graduated also. Anyone??
Bill Davenport
AMA 28141
If some is good, and more is better, then too much is just right!

Offline Sean McEntee

• Captain
Re: A good Syringe for fuel??
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2015, 09:53:58 AM »
Jim Lee makes some awesome plunger style 5 oz syringes. Check out his column (Lees machine shop) in the venders corner.

Offline Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2015, 10:05:36 AM »
Jim Lee makes some awesome plunger style 5 oz syringes. Check out his column (Lees machine shop) in the venders corner.

Second that, and also Carl Shoup (who has the type with the large-diameter outlet). Use the red silicone o-ring in either case. The Buna-N or whatever the black one is made of degenerates slowly in glow fuel.

Brett

Offline Rollin Keszler

• New Pilot
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2015, 10:14:01 AM »
Jim's products are very good and well worth the price.  To keep the SIG syringes working longer, I've had good results by removing the plunger after a flying session, wiping down the parts, then storing the body and plunger separately.  At the next flying session, coat the plunger with a bit of fuel before reinstalling it.  Storing it in contact with residual fuel seems to degrade it faster.  Also, put a strip of clear packing tape over the numbers to keep the fuel from eventually removing the ink and it will last a long time.

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2015, 10:17:44 AM »
You can also just get them from a vet supply place.
Member in good standing of P.I.S.T
(Politically Incorrect Stunt Team)
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Howard Rush

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2015, 11:01:59 AM »
Big syringes are OK for nonpressurized tanks, but you will have trouble filling bladder tanks with a large-diameter syringe, because the force required is high.  Two-oz. disposable syringes are cheap, easy to find, and work for a season or so.  You'll probably want to have a couple of them full of fuel before you fill a pacifier.  Switch syringes to finish filling the bag.  It took me awhile to accept this system, but I think you'll like it better than using one big syringe. 
The Jive Combat Team
Making combat and stunt great again

Offline Sean McEntee

• Captain
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2015, 11:04:17 AM »
My best advise with the sig syringes is store them with the plunger pulled out to the 1/2 oz mark. If it gets stuck, you can push it in to free it up rather than trying to pull it. I've been using the same one for years and it's got more time in service than most of my Soldiers H^^

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2015, 11:23:56 AM »
I have a feed-store syringe that I've been using for years now.  It went through a period where it was a bit tight, but then it loosened up and now it's fine.

I put in between 200 and 400 flights a year, so it's not like the thing just sits in my flight box getting bored.
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline Motorman

• Admiral
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2015, 11:44:29 AM »
All those plastic ones shrink, get a glass one and keep it clean.

MM

Offline badbill

• Commander
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2015, 11:45:35 AM »
I just ordered a 5 ounce from James. I think that will do it. The Sig filled my pacifier tanks just fine so I don't think I will have any trouble with this one. Viton Orings, that should be the thang  %^@
Thanks ya'll!!
Bill Davenport
AMA 28141

Offline Howard Rush

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2015, 11:55:20 AM »
According to http://www.coleparmer.com/Chemical-Resistance?referred_id=20965&mkwid=[distribution][uniq_id]&pcrid=[creative_id]&kw=[keyword_text]&mt=[matchtype]&pdv=c&gclid=CNPwuKaf4sQCFcSCfgodbIcAMQ , Viton is not very good in methanol, and no good in nitro.  I got some ethylene propylene O-rings that are chemically compatible, but they had high friction. 
The Jive Combat Team

Offline Randy Cuberly

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2015, 01:27:45 PM »
I just ordered a 5 ounce from James. I think that will do it. The Sig filled my pacifier tanks just fine so I don't think I will have any trouble with this one. Viton Orings, that should be the thang  %^@
Thanks ya'll!!

You must have forearms like Popeye if you can comfortably fill a pacifier or tubing bladder with a 5oz syringe!!!

I do and I cringe at the force required!  I've seen at least half a dozen guys that simply could not do it!

Don't get a hernia!... LL~ LL~ LL~

Randy Cuberly
Randy Cuberly
Tucson, AZ

Offline badbill

• Commander
« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2015, 01:36:13 PM »
Howard, Thanks for the info, I emailed James and he is sending me buna and silicone orings with the syringe instead of the viton. Randy, I gotta tell you that it really isn't hard at all, nothing to it. This was the first fill of a brand new binky with my large Sig syringe.
Bill Davenport
AMA 28141

Offline Randy Cuberly

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2015, 02:17:42 PM »
Howard, Thanks for the info, I emailed James and he is sending me buna and silicone orings with the syringe instead of the viton. Randy, I gotta tell you that it really isn't hard at all, nothing to it. This was the first fill of a brand new binky with my large Sig syringe.

Well I guess all I can say to that is that "BADBILL" must truly describe you!!   LL~ LL~

I used to fly a lot of combat and know lots of combat fliers...I think most agree with me and Howard!

Randy Cuberly
Randy Cuberly
Tucson, AZ

Offline bob whitney

• Admiral
« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2015, 02:34:19 PM »

i have all the 2 oz syringes u want for shipping
rad racer

Offline Larrys4227

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #15 on: April 06, 2015, 02:49:51 PM »
I go to Walgreens and ask the pharmacist for 2oz feeding syringes. If he/she is nice enough, you'll get 'em for nothing.

I just did this a couple weeks ago. Told him what it was for ..... he thought it was cool and unusual ..... and walked out with 3 freebies.

Offline FLOYD CARTER

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • owner
« Reply #16 on: April 06, 2015, 03:23:18 PM »
They used to make those red-rubber syringes for gasoline fuel.  All the new ones say "Glo fuel only".

Floyd
89 years, but still going (sort of)
AMA #796  SAM #188  LSF #020

Offline Howard Rush

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #17 on: April 06, 2015, 05:22:16 PM »
Reminds me of a story, of course.  I once saw Chuck Rudner ("Chuck Rudder" in the Maxford video) use one of those 2-ounce syringes for its design purpose, to wit draining the goo out of an infected knee.  He also used hemostats where he worked.  It's interesting that people have found nonmodeling uses for the tools we use. 
The Jive Combat Team

Offline badbill

• Commander
« Reply #18 on: April 07, 2015, 05:00:59 AM »
Hello Bill,  FYI,  they are looking for you in the classifieds.   

Thanks Rusty!!
Bill Davenport
AMA 28141

Offline frank mccune

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #19 on: April 07, 2015, 07:32:12 AM »
     Hi All:

There is a Vet supply store about 200 yards from my house.  The syringes are inexpensive but only last a day with glo fuel and Diesel fuel is good for one filling.  If you get lucky, you may be able to find a cheap syringe from a Vet supply store that will last for a long time. 

In the past, I got syringes from a hospital that lasted for years but that supply has ended. Pay the price of purchasing one from a vendor on this site and only cry once!

Good luck.

Frank McCune

Offline Andrew Hathaway

• Captain
« Reply #20 on: April 07, 2015, 08:21:34 AM »
Every few years I typically get a few 5oz Monojects from MBS - http://mbsmodelsupply.com/, and they last a couple seasons before they start breaking down or sticking.  When that happens, I pull a new one off the peg board to replace the one in the flight box.  The old flight box syringe replaces the really old one I keep around the shop for pressure testing fuel tanks, etc.  I'm still using the syringes I ordered in Feb 2012.  It's not like I do anything special to make them last, I don't pull the plunger for storage or anything like that.  Fuel starts leaking past the plunger filling bladders a long time before they start sticking or the rubber starts leaving black streaks in the tube.

Offline badbill

• Commander
« Reply #21 on: April 07, 2015, 08:29:08 AM »
On to another subject, where can I get the plug ends for the bladders/pacifiers/red caps?
Bill Davenport
AMA 28141

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #22 on: April 07, 2015, 10:40:12 AM »
Try MBS Model Supply.    In fact go on line and look at his listing.
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Motorman

• Admiral
« Reply #23 on: April 07, 2015, 12:04:34 PM »
I gotta tell you that it really isn't hard at all, nothing to it. This was the first fill of a brand new binky with my large Sig syringe.

Back in the day I use to fill binkys with a squeeze bottle but you had to hold the plug in.

A stainless steel syringe wouldn't shrink, it could have a graduated plunger handle.

MM

Offline Allan Perret

• Admiral
  • Proverbs
« Reply #24 on: April 08, 2015, 09:17:50 PM »
Jett Engineering has a quality unit that has 9oz capacity (in .25oz increments), so it can handle the largest of your stunt fueling needs.  Around $40.  When I lost my first one at a contest I ordered a replacement the next day.  Plunger is anodized aluminum and only needs a $2 o-ring to rebuild it.  No sticking issues.  Get one, you will be a happy camper. 
Allan Perret
AMA 302406
Slidell, Louisiana

Offline YakNine

• AMA Member
  • Commander
« Reply #25 on: April 23, 2015, 09:23:51 PM »
I have a 2 oz one from tractor supply came in a 2 pack still using the first one after 3 seasons gets stiff if I spike the fuel with naphtha in the winter but a little bit of castor loosens it back up.T.J.
AMA 85135                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                    GSCB

Offline Larry Fernandez

• Admiral
« Reply #26 on: April 24, 2015, 01:11:28 PM »
Check this out.    

Larry, Buttafucco Stunt Team

Offline Gerald Arana

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #27 on: April 24, 2015, 07:26:51 PM »
Check this out.    

Larry, Buttafucco Stunt Team

So...........why haven't you been out to the field to fly hummmmmm? ???

We miss you boss. ;D

Jerry

Offline Target

• C/L Addict
  • 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #28 on: April 24, 2015, 08:12:54 PM »
You must have forearms like Popeye if you can comfortably fill a pacifier or tubing bladder with a 5oz syringe!!!

I do and I cringe at the force required!  I've seen at least half a dozen guys that simply could not do it!

Don't get a hernia!... LL~ LL~ LL~

Randy Cuberly
I think it may depend on if you are married or not, which could possibly control the size of your forearm, and the strength of your plunger hand? <=

Regards,
Target
Regards,
Chris
AMA 5956

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here