News:

• April 26, 2024, 03:23:05 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: RC Enya 40SS BB for CL flying  (Read 6421 times)

Offline Bill Johnson

• 2016 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain
RC Enya 40SS BB for CL flying
« on: April 02, 2015, 02:30:54 PM »
I've been looking for an Enya engine for Brodak Vector 40 but, as everyone knows, there's not much available. I came across a used Enya 40 SS BB RC engine at a good price.

Does anyone have experience with this engine? Is it similar to the 40XZS PRO?
Best Regards,
Bill

AMA 350715

Offline Randy Cuberly

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: RC Enya 40SS BB for CL flying
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2015, 02:52:48 PM »
While a bit on the heavy side the Enya is a good runner and would, with a venturi and needle valve setup from RSM and Jim Lee, make a good choice for the Vector.  It might take a bit of tail weight to get the CG where it belongs but that'a not a major problem.

I'm not sure I agree with your premise that there is not much available in the way of suitable engines for a Vector however.

A Thunder Tiger 36 would be a great choice (and they are available), and there are numerous engines like LA46's and FP40's available on E-Bay.

One mention of discontinuing LA's and all of a sudden there' a gross shortage of control line engines...just not true!

Randy Cuberly
Randy Cuberly
Tucson, AZ

Offline DanielGelinas

• Captain
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2015, 03:00:16 PM »
Randy,
I think he meant there's not much available from enya at the moment.😉
-Dan

Offline DanielGelinas

• Captain
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2015, 03:06:03 PM »
Hi Bill,
I think if you can get a light muffler for the enya, you may find it is  a little heavier than the osla46 but just as strong.
Good luck!
Dan

Offline Bill Johnson

• 2016 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2015, 03:21:08 PM »
While a bit on the heavy side the Enya is a good runner and would, with a venturi and needle valve setup from RSM and Jim Lee, make a good choice for the Vector.  It might take a bit of tail weight to get the CG where it belongs but that'a not a major problem.

I'm not sure I agree with your premise that there is not much available in the way of suitable engines for a Vector however.

A Thunder Tiger 36 would be a great choice (and they are available), and there are numerous engines like LA46's and FP40's available on E-Bay.

One mention of discontinuing LA's and all of a sudden there' a gross shortage of control line engines...just not true!

Randy Cuberly

That's kind of where I'm at, guys. Just getting back in to CL, got one new OS 46LA and all of a sudden they're nowhere to be found when I want 2 or 3 engines of the same type for the planes I have. I've been through evil bay for a week but I'm just not sure about paying over $50 for a used LA. I know an Enya will last forever. Had several in the late 70s.

So the TT 36 looks like a good choice, plenty of power and fairly light. The RC version comes in at 11 oz. Is your version an ounce or so lighter, Randy?

That's probably the way to go. I didn't realize (until now) they put out over 1HP.
Best Regards,
Bill

AMA 350715

Offline david beazley

• Captain
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2015, 04:15:27 PM »
Where can one obtain a TT .36?  TT is no longer distributed by Hobico and HRP distributing isn't up to speed yet.  I have been looking for a TT .40 Pro for Q500 racing and can't find any. 
It's only paranoia if they aren't really after you.
Analog man trapped in a digital world
AMA # 2817

Offline Randy Cuberly

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2015, 04:52:20 PM »
That's kind of where I'm at, guys. Just getting back in to CL, got one new OS 46LA and all of a sudden they're nowhere to be found when I want 2 or 3 engines of the same type for the planes I have. I've been through evil bay for a week but I'm just not sure about paying over $50 for a used LA. I know an Enya will last forever. Had several in the late 70s.

So the TT 36 looks like a good choice, plenty of power and fairly light. The RC version comes in at 11 oz. Is your version an ounce or so lighter, Randy?

That's probably the way to go. I didn't realize (until now) they put out over 1HP.

I have a couple of TT36's set up like this (See Photo) and they weigh exactly 9.4 oz with the tongue muffler shown.
They run very good.  Steve Moon used one like this for several years in aClassic airplane (Gieseke Nobler) and if memory serves won Classic at the Nationals one year with it.

Randy Cuberly

Randy Cuberly
Tucson, AZ

Offline Bill Johnson

• 2016 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2015, 06:46:20 PM »
That's the ticket, I think, Randy. I have 4 planes:

Brodak Vector 40, weighs 40 oz without engine, was probably bought as an ARF
Brodak P-40, 33 oz W/O engine and tank
Trophy Trainer, still on building table
Walt Umland Spitfire

My 1955 McCoy 36SS would probably fly any of them (except, maybe, the porky Vector) but I think I'll keep it in retirement.
Best Regards,
Bill

AMA 350715

Offline JIM Nordin

• Lieutenant
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2015, 06:49:42 PM »
I just purchased a OS 46 LA from a mail order shop
Jim

Offline Randy Cuberly

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2015, 08:01:35 PM »
Bill,
I sent you a personal message.

Randy Cuberly
Randy Cuberly
Tucson, AZ

Offline Martin Quartim

• 22 supporter
  • Captain
    • StuntHobby
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2015, 04:55:42 PM »

Enya SS40BB is great for C/L. I like it much better then OS 46LA.

For a Vector I would start with this SETUP:
Enya NVA
https://cs206.xbit.jp/~w041133/store13/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=3_18&products_id=373

Enya Smallest  venturi:
https://cs206.xbit.jp/~w041133/store13/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=3_19&products_id=378

An APC 10.5x4.5 prop, light muffler from Randy Smith (i believe he still have for this engine), exhaust deflector, Brodak Uniflow MW 3.5Oz ATF Tank wrapped with foam so it is 1/4 shimmed  and Lines 60" lines eye to eye.

If in the future  you decide to built a bigger plane, you can use the Enya SS40bb in any model up to 63oz.  Just use the larger optional venturi from Enya like the  8.0mm or 8.5mm one and use a low pitch prop like an APC 12x4 or a 13x4 cut to 12.5" and adjust lines for laps 5.4s and launching at 10500rpms. In this power setting, people say " I can´t believe it is a .40"  :)!

This engine needs full breaking in. If you do not do it right it can seize and stop during flying. Suggest using fuel with 25% oil, mostly castor oil.

Martin
Old Enya's never die, they just run stronger!

https://www.youtube.com/user/martinSOLO

Offline Martin Quartim

• 22 supporter
  • Captain
    • StuntHobby
« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2015, 05:01:45 PM »
This is what I do to break in my Enya engines with Iron P/L like the SS40

10 runs of 1 min in a solid 4 stroke with the needle one hair open before it start to burble in 2. Let the engine fully cool before starting again
8 runs of 2min with the same setting
4 runs of 3 min same setting.
5 runs of 6 min with the needle in the same setting but this time pinch the fuel line to sustain peak rpm for 10s, then wait 20s and repeat pinching process til the end of the run. Start pinching the fuel line slowly and watch the rpm to increase slowly, if engine start to lower rpm you went to far, back up a bit. The idea here is to make the engine run as hard as it can for 10s. If you can, measure the maximum sustain RPM and you notice that this number will improve. If after 6 runs you still notice that the top rpm is still improving do a few more runs like this.

Martin

Offline Steve Thomas

• Commander
« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2015, 10:19:15 PM »
If you're considering an SS40 but haven't got one yet, it might be worth keeping an eye out for an SS45 or SS50 instead. They use the same case and weigh pretty much exactly the same as the 40.  You'll sometimes find unrun R/C versions going very cheaply on eBay - all you need is an NVA and venturi, and you've got yourself a very nice stunt engine.

Offline Randy Cuberly

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2015, 10:58:30 PM »
If you're considering an SS40 but haven't got one yet, it might be worth keeping an eye out for an SS45 or SS50 instead. They use the same case and weigh pretty much exactly the same as the 40.  You'll sometimes find unrun R/C versions going very cheaply on eBay - all you need is an NVA and venturi, and you've got yourself a very nice stunt engine.

I don't have access to a SS40 to weigh, but I do have an SS50 and 45.  Both have identical light weight tongue mufflers installed and the 50 weighs 10.90 oz, and the 45 for some reason is a bit heavier at 11.1 oz (possibly a thicker sleeve but I'm not sure).

Both of these engines are very powerful...especially the SS50 and run very well for stunt but are a bit of overkill, in my humble opinion for the average Classic airplane under 50 oz.  The SS50 will turn a 12.5 to 13 in prop with no trouble and the 45 is quite happy with a 12 in prop.  Great engines but I personally would not consider them for most airplanes under 640 sq in or so.   The SS50 would easily fly a 650 sq in airplane at 60 OZ.

I'm sure either one could be stuffed into a Nobler size airplane but tail weight and tank area modification would definitely be in order.

Randy Cuberly
Randy Cuberly
Tucson, AZ

Offline Steve Thomas

• Commander
« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2015, 11:15:08 PM »

I'm sure either one could be stuffed into a Nobler size airplane but tail weight and tank area modification would definitely be in order.

You're quite right, of course, Randy - they certainly wouldn't be my first choice for a Nobler or (Vector 40) size model either.  (Although come to think of it, is it much different to using an LA46?  The Enyas are maybe half an ounce heavier - not much in the big scheme of things.).

I can't claim any experience in using these things.  I've got an SS40 that I've never got round to flying, and an SS45 in a new model whose first flight keeps getting delayed by either wind or work.  I'm keen to see how it goes, as they sure seem like nice engines.

Offline Bill Johnson

• 2016 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #15 on: April 25, 2015, 09:31:45 AM »
I finally got a good SS40 BB! The first one I got ended up with a crack in the case. I don't think the seller knew it but when I disassembled the engine, there was also some mud in part of the carb. He refunded my money with no problem.

So I got another one. This appears to be a low-time engine. Knowing Enya's take a lot of break-in, I kind of followed your advice, Martin, and did the 10 minute run on Powermaster GMA 10/29 fuel. That's all-castor. Let it cool completely and did a couple runs on 2oz of fuel, leaning it by pinching the line. Then I lost my mind, ran it a full 14oz, about a 30 minute run, just barely 4 stroking and tilting the test stand back to about a 60 degree angle and the engine transitioned smoothly to a wet 2 stroke. This is one an APC 11-4 prop. Another full 30 minute run transitioning 4 stroke to 2 every 5 minutes.

The engine's a beast! This is subjective, of course, but it sounds as if it's running at least 1K RPM faster than the OS 46LA. And it flip starts on one flip after priming.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2015, 10:13:35 AM by Bill Johnson »
Best Regards,
Bill

AMA 350715

Offline proparc

• Admiral
« Reply #16 on: April 25, 2015, 10:14:48 AM »
I finally got a good SS40 BB! The first one I got ended up with a crack in the case. I don't think the seller knew it but when I disassembled the engine, there was also some mud in part of the carb. He refunded my money with no problem.

No OS Max can hang with an Enya for quality and longevity. Now, for the bad news,Enya's are "RPITA" to get a hold of!! But, my Enya 15 and 19 that I got when I was 7 and 8 years old, still runs like gangbusters.
Milton "Proparc" Graham

Offline proparc

• Admiral
« Reply #17 on: April 27, 2015, 03:08:52 PM »
Just picked up two Enya SS 40BB's myself.  y1
« Last Edit: April 27, 2015, 04:23:15 PM by proparc »
Milton "Proparc" Graham

Offline Chris Wilson

• Admiral
« Reply #18 on: April 29, 2015, 04:00:38 AM »
My Enya SS 40 weighs in at 11.6 oz with a Randy Smith muffler but please  be aware that the SS 40 is the largest Enya in the range  with a cast iron piston.

MAAA AUS 73427

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.
 Nothing in life is so exhilarating as to be shot at without result.  It's not enough that we do our best; sometimes we have to do what's required

Offline Bill Johnson

• 2016 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #19 on: April 29, 2015, 04:43:24 AM »
My Enya SS 40 weighs in at 11.6 oz with a Randy Smith muffler but please  be aware that the SS 40 is the largest Enya in the range  with a cast iron piston.

That sounds right on the money. I talked to Randy and he said his muffler runs right at 1 oz whereas the Enya is about 3 oz., bare-bones engine at 10.5 oz. I'm using the stock muffler right now because this plane, a Brodak P40, weighs 32 oz with no engine /tank but still has 1.5 oz weight the previous owner had in the nose. With the stock Enya/muffler, prop and spinner, it's balancing out just about perfect.
Best Regards,
Bill

AMA 350715

Offline proparc

• Admiral
« Reply #20 on: April 29, 2015, 10:52:47 AM »
Bill,
Just so know, I ordered my Enya 40's both with a set of Cl stunt venturi's and needle valves,(they came stock RC version). I also plan to do a little bit of RC flying with them also. On standard stunt fuel ex: GMA 10/22 etc. they will last practically forever.
Milton "Proparc" Graham

Offline Martin Quartim

• 22 supporter
  • Captain
    • StuntHobby
« Reply #21 on: May 02, 2015, 12:53:48 AM »

So I got another one. This appears to be a low-time engine. Knowing Enya's take a lot of break-in, I kind of followed your advice, Martin, and did the 10 minute run on Powermaster GMA 10/29 fuel. That's all-castor. Let it cool completely and did a couple runs on 2oz of fuel, leaning it by pinching the line. Then I lost my mind, ran it a full 14oz, about a 30 minute run, just barely 4 stroking and tilting the test stand back to about a 60 degree angle and the engine transitioned smoothly to a wet 2 stroke. This is one an APC 11-4 prop. Another full 30 minute run transitioning 4 stroke to 2 every 5 minutes.

The engine's a beast! This is subjective, of course, but it sounds as if it's running at least 1K RPM faster than the OS 46LA. And it flip starts on one flip after priming.

Hi Bill,

That is too bad you got a bad one to start with but I am glad you did not give up!

The Enya SS40 is mighty strong if setup properly. If I were going to use it in Brodak P40  I would set it up with an APC 12x4, 7.5mm venturi, 10/22 fuel (half and half synth/castor is fine) and adjust lines so I could launch at 10000~10300 and laps stays around 5.4s  It will be around 62'~64'

The problem with this setup is that it can cause fuel foaming due to vibration, and if that happens the NVA will not work, the engine will run at full blast.  That can be fixed by spraying a bit of ArmorAll in the fuel.

If the fuel foaming becomes an issue, then you have to go with a higher pitch prop, in this case I suggest the APC 11.5x6,  and launch below 9000rpms to avoid the fuel foaming problem. At lower RPMs The Enya SS40 works, but not as near as good. 

Good luck and if you need my help just email me, I´ll be glad to help.

Martin

Offline Kafin Noe’man

• Commander
« Reply #22 on: March 10, 2022, 02:42:45 AM »
Would it be too much of I put this engine on a Banshee?
INA 1630
I fly: Vector, Cardinal, XEBEC, and Banshee

Online Dave_Trible

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #23 on: March 10, 2022, 05:32:47 AM »
While this is a fine engine it really is quite heavy for a Banshee.  I am working with someone who is flying a Banshee with the classic Enya .35 plain bearing with the airplane nose chopped about 1 1/2" and that is working fine.  I'd save that .40 for something better suited for it.  That engine is in the neighborhood of two ounces heavier than even the classic .45bb (6001).  A .35 is plenty of power.

Dave
AMA 20934
FAA Certificate FA3ATY4T94

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here