News:

• April 20, 2024, 02:40:19 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Epoxy Question  (Read 2437 times)

Offline Motorman

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Epoxy Question
« on: March 31, 2015, 05:36:08 PM »
LOL, when you mix epoxy and it turns milk white is that bad? Epon 815 and teta hardener. I put it in the mold anyway, am I screwed?

MM

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Epoxy Question
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2015, 05:52:22 PM »
If you're hoping for an answer before it sets up -- it's probably too late.
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline Randy Cuberly

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2015, 06:07:09 PM »
LOL, when you mix epoxy and it turns milk white is that bad? Epon 815 and teta hardener. I put it in the mold anyway, am I screwed?

MM

It typically indicates that water has accumulated in the epoxy.  It definitely interferes with the strength of the epoxy because the water typically stays trapped in the bond or casting...in other words...It's screwed if it needs to be strong.

It usually can be dried out in the component stage by heating each part separately at about 120 degrees F for a couple of hours.  Let the stuff cool completely then in a dry environment before using it.

Randy Cuberly
Randy Cuberly
Tucson, AZ

Offline bob whitney

• Admiral
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2015, 06:08:06 PM »

sounds like u have some moister in it
rad racer

Offline Motorman

• Admiral
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2015, 07:51:22 PM »
Yeah but it's funny it didn't turn white until I mixed it. It's old stuff and the resin was crystallized then I left it in hot water to make it clear again. Did water get through the polypropylene bottle? Will try to heat it with dry air and see what happens. I'll be happy if it hardens up so I can get the mold apart.

Thanks,
MM

Offline Randy Cuberly

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2015, 08:39:42 PM »
Yeah but it's funny it didn't turn white until I mixed it. It's old stuff and the resin was crystallized then I left it in hot water to make it clear again. Did water get through the polypropylene bottle? Will try to heat it with dry air and see what happens. I'll be happy if it hardens up so I can get the mold apart.

Thanks,
MM

I don't think the water will prevent it from hardening.  It could be a little crumbly in some places depending on how much water is actually trapped in the stuff.

Yes I would guess that there is a very small leak in one of the bottles that allowed some water intrusion into one of the components.

Randy Cuberly
Randy Cuberly
Tucson, AZ

Offline Motorman

• Admiral
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2015, 05:20:42 AM »
If you're hoping for an answer before it sets up -- it's probably too late.

I know lol, first thing that ran through my head after I mixed it was "oh no stunt hanger what do I do".

MM

Offline JoeJust

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2015, 07:36:32 PM »
I would hope that you find another epoxy and hardener.  I built a huge number of glass/carbon props using that epoxy and hardener.  I used a vent system in the shop, wore two sets of heavy plastic gloves and also wore a mask.   After 1000 or more props I had surgery to remove my left kidney. It appears that teta is a high listed carcinogen, and my doctors have told me my Cancer was caused by the teta. Check with your medical service and find out the danger.
Joe
I only enter contests so somebody else is not always in last place

Offline Motorman

• Admiral
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2015, 07:32:38 AM »
That's allot of props, I've made about 200-300 over 20 years. Between that, K&B Superpoxy and chrome plating it's a wonder my nuts still work. Sorry to hear of your trouble, do you have any suggestions on what I could use in place of the 815/teta?

Thanks,
MM

Offline JoeJust

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2015, 09:15:25 AM »
Having been away from epoxy/teta since 2000 I really don't have any suggestions.  However you might be one that teta doesn't effect.  Shop around and see what is available.  My doctors at the time mentioned that my very light colored skin may have been a factor. ??? on that, but I pass it on.
Here's an additional thought, check with Mike Hazel he has been doing a great job with his props and might have a different combination.
Joe
I only enter contests so somebody else is not always in last place

Offline Motorman

• Admiral
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2015, 10:56:50 AM »
I know I tried Testim 1% and it didn't get through my skin so maybe my hyde is saving me, plus I'm from Jersey so basically mutated already. Did your doctor have scientific evidence that your cancer was caused by the teta? I believe it I'm just wondering how they can tell.

Anyway got the prop out of the mold and it looks useable. Not nats quality but good for testing. The gel coat was crumbly but I sand that off anyway. I made a little oven with a styrofoam box and a light bulb (yeah I'm a nerd) and cooked the resin for a few hours to dry it out. I'll see if that worked as soon as I get the mold waxed up again.

MM

Offline Randy Cuberly

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2015, 11:34:31 AM »
I would take Joe's warning about this stuff to heart and always wear rubber gloves and a respirator when using this stuff.  Ventilate everything before removing the mask and cure this stuff away from living things!!!

It is listed on the chemical safety data sheet as a potential carcinigen...don't take chances when using it!

Randy Cuberly
Randy Cuberly
Tucson, AZ

Offline Motorman

• Admiral
« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2015, 06:01:16 PM »
The resin dried out nicely. When I mixed it, it stayed clear and cured at room temp in about 12 hours. The 2nd prop came out great ;D as I used a little more CF. Just have to sand it down and balance but it's pretty close.

MM

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here