News:

• April 19, 2024, 09:21:21 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: final T-6 update  (Read 3420 times)

Offline Sean McEntee

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain
final T-6 update
« on: March 29, 2015, 08:04:02 PM »
Dad wants to see it with the flaps, elevator and everything stuck on since it isnt going to change too much in the next month, and I wouldnt want to torture him  H^^

Put it on the scale, and its at 36oz minus the tank, tip weight ect.

Wheels are standard Dubro 3 3/4" diamond treads with part of the hub drilled out to get the wheel collar flush with the face of the hub.  Sheet styrene hub cover for a scale touch.

Also wont be putting any spinner or prop hub on it since the real one flies without the spinner

So thats it.  Thanks for all your kind words and encouragement.  Hopefully next time you guys see it, It'll be beating Joe Gilbert in Profile Stunt  LL~ LL~ LL~ LL~

Online wwwarbird

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
Re: final T-6 update
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2015, 08:57:50 PM »
 Great job Sean, and quick too!

Is that 36oz with the engine?
Narrowly averting disaster since 1964! 

Wayne Willey
Albert Lea, MN U.S.A. IC C/L Aircraft Modeler, Ex AMA member

Offline Mike Keville

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2015, 09:03:59 PM »
. . . Hopefully next time you guys see it, It'll be beating Joe Gilbert in Profile Stunt  LL~ LL~ LL~ LL~
======================================
Riiiiight.  Good luck with that, Sarge!   LL~
FORMER member, "Academy of Multi-rotors & ARFs".

Online Joe Gilbert

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2015, 09:12:59 PM »
Sean, nice job! Looking forward to some great battles in the future! Old Yeller is tired, but I think she still has a few good flights in her.  Proud of you, young man.

Joe Gilbert
Joe Gilbert

Offline Sean McEntee

• Captain
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2015, 09:54:54 PM »
Yes Wayne.....with the engine :)  Looking in the 41-44oz range one I get everything cleared and the tank and stuff added.

edit:  And I wouldnt say fast....I started this thing back in September lol

Joe cant wait!  I remember our ringmaster battles many years ago.  That was too much fun!  
« Last Edit: March 29, 2015, 11:11:07 PM by Sean McEntee »

Online Paul Taylor

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
  • If God is your Co-pilot - swap seats!
    • Our Local CL Web Page
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2015, 08:34:08 AM »
Looks Great Sean.

And the ink lines came out nice.  ;D
Paul
AMA 842917

Tight Lines = Fun Times

Offline SteveMoon

• 2013 Supporter
  • Captain
    • www.ultrahobbyproducts.com
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2015, 11:26:14 AM »
Looks great Sean!

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2015, 11:42:26 AM »
Hey Sean,  some one makes a prop nut spinner that's looks better than the threads sticking out.    I use them on planes I don't want a regular spinner on.  Now if the plane flies as great as it looks, Joe is going to have to work harder. 
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2015, 11:50:00 AM »
Hi Sarge,

That looks REALLY nice!  I know you are looking forward to taking on Joe and that should be a ton of fun!  I am sure that yours will fly great for you, good luck with it.  And good luck in your job!  I know I speak for everyone in telling you how much we appreciate you service to our country.

BIG Bear
RNMM/AMM
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Offline Sean McEntee

• Captain
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2015, 12:14:30 PM »
Hey Sean,  some one makes a prop nut spinner that's looks better than the threads sticking out.    I use them on planes I don't want a regular spinner on.  Now if the plane flies as great as it looks, Joe is going to have to work harder. 

Hey Doc!  I know what you are talking about. The Aeroshell team omits the spinner on the full scale aircraft. I'll have to ask why next time I'm up at Oshkosh. So I'm just going with the bare prop nut to capture the same effect.

Bill:  My job prospect fell through. They have a new platoon sergeant on the way here so it's time to move on. Got some ducks to get in a row first but I'll be calling Branch for a new assignment.  My wish list includes Ft Huachuca, AZ; Ft Rucker AL, and a tour with USAEUR in Germany. We'll see what I get later this summer. 

Offline Randy Cuberly

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2015, 01:26:09 PM »
Hey Doc!  I know what you are talking about. The Aeroshell team omits the spinner on the full scale aircraft. I'll have to ask why next time I'm up at Oshkosh. So I'm just going with the bare prop nut to capture the same effect.

Bill:  My job prospect fell through. They have a new platoon sergeant on the way here so it's time to move on. Got some ducks to get in a row first but I'll be calling Branch for a new assignment.  My wish list includes Ft Huachuca, AZ; Ft Rucker AL, and a tour with USAEUR in Germany. We'll see what I get later this summer. 

Hey Sean,
Come to Ft Huachuca...You can fly with us here inTucson on some weekends!  A year here and we'll get you in shape to beat Joe Gilbert!

Randy Cuberly
Randy Cuberly
Tucson, AZ

Online wwwarbird

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2015, 05:24:48 PM »
Yes Wayne.....with the engine :)  Looking in the 41-44oz range one I get everything cleared and the tank and stuff added.

edit:  And I wouldnt say fast....I started this thing back in September lol

WOW! That's perty darn light Sean, it should have plenty of reserve power with the ST.51 then, which is a good thing. And it wasn't "Sparky" fast, but it was still a real quick build in my book. BTW, is the .51 a 1/4-28 prop shaft?

Also, I received the sample Callie Graphics you sent today, THEY ARE EXCELLENT QUALITY!!! I know exactly where to go now when I need some high quality, detailed graphics, thanks Sean! H^^

Wayne Willey

Online Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2015, 07:00:22 PM »
  There are plenty of images out there with the hub cover (don't know that I would actually call it a spinner, but maybe it is) on and with them off. It would be an interesting question to ask them why they don't use them all the time. I think it would look better with a hub, like the aluminum units that Harry Higgly and Great Planes sells. Tru-Turn has them in several sizes and I have several here at home. I think the standard one that all the hobby shops carry, and you may even have one in your stiff, would look OK. The shaft is 1/4"-28 so no strange threads to worry about. Just leave the regular prop washer off and use the bug hub nut.
  Model is looking GREAT!
    Dad
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824
AMA 480405 (American Motorcyclist Association)

Online wwwarbird

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2015, 08:25:47 PM »

These O.S. ones are very nice and priced right. Any good hobby shop should have them on hand, right Dan? ;D

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXCC40&P=7

Wayne Willey

Offline Sean McEntee

• Captain
« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2015, 09:05:51 PM »
Randy:  Would LOVE to come fly with you guys!!  Spent my early years in the Army flying with Lou Crane on post and he shuttled me up to Tucson a few times to fly some contests.  VSC 23 was the longest week of my life.  I went up to contest and flew by day and flew Grey Eagle by night, drinking LOTS of coffee in between.  But it was a great time.  Would LOVE to come out  there and absorb some knowlege!

Dad:  All the references I used showed no hub cover, but I went back and did see some.  The smallest T-6 spinner that Tru-Turn makes is 2-1/4" and seems too big.  I wish there was a smaller one because it would look sweet.  I got an aluminum Great Planes hub that ill see how it looks.

Wayne:  Glad you like them!  Callie really does good work and shes great to work with!

Offline Randy Cuberly

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #15 on: March 31, 2015, 12:22:30 AM »
Sean,
Come join the "Gang".  Several folks here that truly know how it is supposed to be done and what it takes to be a "winner"...even though most are too old now to be real competitors...there's no shortage of great coaches.  One of the best flying fields around and year round flying weather.  I remember when you were here at VSC.

Randy Cuberly
Randy Cuberly
Tucson, AZ

Online Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #16 on: March 31, 2015, 09:27:58 AM »
  Sean;
   The Great Planes hub is the one I'm talking about. Tru-Turn has similar in several sizes, but I think the more common one will look OK. Just use it without the front washer. This will give you something to bump a starter with if you ever need to also.
  Type at you later,
   Dad
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824
AMA 480405 (American Motorcyclist Association)

Offline Chris McMillin

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
  • AMA 32529
« Reply #17 on: March 31, 2015, 10:40:38 AM »
======================================
Riiiiight.  Good luck with that, Sarge!   LL~

He's got a lot more time to wear him down than I do, Mike.
Chris...

Offline Sean McEntee

• Captain
« Reply #18 on: March 31, 2015, 05:39:11 PM »
He's got a lot more time to wear him down than I do, Mike.
Chris...

Not if the Army doesn't wear me out first. Getting to the point where hips, knees and ankles don't feel like they use to after PT every day...
« Last Edit: March 31, 2015, 05:56:24 PM by Sean McEntee »

Online wwwarbird

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #19 on: March 31, 2015, 06:28:21 PM »
 I'm tellin' ya Sean, that O.S. spinner nut will look great. y1

The Great Planes and Higley hubs look identical to each other, and the shape is a little more accurate to the spinners typically used on the full scale T-6's, but they both have that ugly hex shape on the rear section. The O.S. one is smaller in overall size and has a nice clean look to it. The prop face side is just the right size for most props and you can use it without a prop washer. Cosmetically, the size and shape would be more like the small hub covers used on the full scale props without spinners, like on a Corsair for example. The O.S. one will give you a "no spinner" look while also looking much better than a plain prop nut and washer with the threads sticking out.  

Wayne Willey

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #20 on: March 31, 2015, 08:38:30 PM »
Not if the Army doesn't wear me out first. Getting to the point where hips, knees and ankles don't feel like they use to after PT every day...

hey kid, at your  age you are complaining.   Must have been loafing at one time or another.   Wish I had stayed with PE routine.   Anyway, thanks for serving our country.
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline James Mills

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #21 on: March 31, 2015, 10:01:09 PM »

Just wait until you have some mileage behind you little bro, it gets better LL~.

James
AMA 491167

Offline Sean McEntee

• Captain
« Reply #22 on: March 31, 2015, 10:07:45 PM »
Just wait until you have some mileage behind you little bro, it gets better LL~.

James

Lol that's what I'm saying...this kind of sucks at 30...

Offline Norm Faith Jr.

• 23 supporter
  • Captain
  • The physics of flight releases the soul.
« Reply #23 on: April 02, 2015, 09:41:32 PM »
Hey Sean, look at what landing at our field today...It came in with another one and a B-25, to do a fly over with a B-1 Bomber out of Dyess. The fly over was for the funeral of Lt. Col. Robert Hite, 95 yrs. old. One of the last remaining Doolittle Raiders.
Norm
Circlepilot   AMA9376

Offline Carl Cisneros

• Captain
« Reply #24 on: April 02, 2015, 09:50:03 PM »
LOL

Sean
Wait till you hit around 60ish

1 new hip, the other and the 2 knees are on their way out now.
 LL~ LL~ S?P S?P

WOW!!! dang nice planes there Norm.

Carl R Cisneros, Dist IV
Control Line RB

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here