News:

• April 19, 2024, 06:16:55 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Covering decals using rustoleum  (Read 2042 times)

Offline Don Chandler

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Lieutenant
Covering decals using rustoleum
« on: March 29, 2015, 05:55:30 PM »
For ever I was a buterate dope guy and like all of us had 150.00 finishes on 50.00 airplanes-so to speak.

The last couple years I have mostly used Rustoleum, much cheaper and fuel has never touched it.

Just finished  a P51 and I'm actually using decals just because I have them. Back in the day on an all dope finish I would spray clear dope over them and never had a problem.

Has anyone sprayed clear Rustoleum over decals and if so what if any problems did you have?

Don

Offline phil c

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Covering decals using rustoleum
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2015, 06:42:24 PM »
Rustoleum clear is a lacquer finish and not fuel proof.  I've had trouble with any Rust-0-Leum finish except for the Gloss Enamels.

Phil C
phil Cartier

Offline Phil Krankowski

• Admiral
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2015, 08:08:07 PM »
Put together some samples and get a can of Minwax spray polyurethane spar varnish.  I am sure there are other brands, but I have some experience with this one over rustoleum.  The rustoleum must be cured well.  Degloss by your favorite method (I lightly sanded then washed with some denatured alcohol) and apply two or three VERY light coats - the first won't even coat fully - then a more solid coat.  The very light coats are to prevent fish eyes.

I got good adhesion that seems to be holding up after 6 months.  I did make up a fuel test sample and it appears to be fully fuel resistant to Sig Champion 25%.  I have not tried it with exhaust.  I have not tried it over decals.  

My application was not on an airplane.  I just thought at the time it might be a good idea.  I did use it on my field box as well over previously varnished wood.

Phil

Offline Larry Renger

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2015, 08:23:21 AM »
According to Eric Rule, you can get Rustoleum clear enamel, which is fuelproof.
Think S.M.A.L.L. y'all and, it's all good, CL, FF and RC!

DesignMan
 BTW, Dracula Sucks!  A closed mouth gathers no feet!

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Just here for the fun of it also.
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2015, 12:26:41 PM »
Another option could be using a decal that's fuel proof.

There is a company called Major Decals. I believe in MA.

They have been offering military decals to modelers forever at great pricing. I had their catalog years ago and back then it was extensive.

They might offer decals that are fuel proof?

Worth the shot.

Wouldn't have to clear them and when they fade from UV sunlight, you can replace them.

A suggestion.

Trump Derangement Syndrome. TDS. 
Avaiojet Derangement Syndrome. ADS.
Amazing how ignorance can get in the way of the learning process.
If you're Trolled, you know you're doing something right.  Alpha Mike Foxtrot. "No one has ever made a difference by being like everyone else."  Marcus Cordeiro, The "Mark of Excellence," you will not be forgotten. "No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot."- Mark Twain. I look at the Forum as a place to contribute and make friends, some view it as a Realm where they could be King.   Proverb 11.9  "With his mouth the Godless destroys his neighbor..."  "Perhaps the greatest challenge in modeling is to build a competitive control line stunter that looks like a real airplane." David McCellan, 1980.

Offline John Kelly

• Commander
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2015, 12:54:19 PM »
   ...Major Decals pressure sensitive decals are available at TOWER HOBBIES, and they are guaranteed fuelproof up to 12% Nitro.  Cheers,  John
AMA 11416

Offline Don Chandler

• Lieutenant
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2015, 02:19:23 PM »
Thanks for the responses. I have used Rustoleum up to 15% and never had a problem. I was wondering if the Rustoleuim clear would damage the decals. These are decals that came with the kit.

Don

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here