News:

• April 26, 2024, 02:06:54 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Wheel well covers, Mig-3 New photo!  (Read 6568 times)

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
  • Just here for the fun of it also.
Wheel well covers, Mig-3 New photo!
« on: March 28, 2015, 10:43:57 AM »
I made wheel well covers for the Mig-3, one left and one right.

I used 1/32" ply and 1/32" balsa.

I would like to know how others attach their wheel well covers? I have a few ideas.

Thanks in advance.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2015, 07:09:38 PM by Avaiojet »
Trump Derangement Syndrome. TDS. 
Avaiojet Derangement Syndrome. ADS.
Amazing how ignorance can get in the way of the learning process.
If you're Trolled, you know you're doing something right.  Alpha Mike Foxtrot. "No one has ever made a difference by being like everyone else."  Marcus Cordeiro, The "Mark of Excellence," you will not be forgotten. "No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot."- Mark Twain. I look at the Forum as a place to contribute and make friends, some view it as a Realm where they could be King.   Proverb 11.9  "With his mouth the Godless destroys his neighbor..."  "Perhaps the greatest challenge in modeling is to build a competitive control line stunter that looks like a real airplane." David McCellan, 1980.

Offline JIM Nordin

• Lieutenant
Re: Wheel well covers for the Mig-3
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2015, 05:11:37 AM »
If your useing wire for the gear I would make  some clips and solder to them the wire gear . Then glue or screw your covers to them use brass to make them easy to form

Jim

Offline Paul Smith

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2015, 08:27:15 AM »
I use those nylon landing gear clips with the two bolt holes and a half-pipe the size of the wire.  Build up a spruce or plywood mount from the gear door to the proper point in space, then screw on the clips.
Paul Smith

Offline Trostle

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2015, 08:50:50 AM »
Solder on two small "U" shaped metal clips from thin metal on each LG leg, then bolt on the covers with 0-80 button head bolts.  Looks neat for a non scale application.  LG covers can be removed if damaged or if flying from grass is a problem.

Keith

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2015, 03:16:38 PM »
Done! One more task out of the way.

All that's left is the drilling of four holes in the proper locations.

Thank you all for the advice.   H^^

If you're Trolled, you know you're doing something right.  Alpha Mike Foxtrot. "No one has ever made a difference by being like everyone else."  Marcus Cordeiro, The "Mark of Excellence," you will not be forgotten. "No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot."- Mark Twain. I look at the Forum as a place to contribute and make friends, some view it as a Realm where they could be King.   Proverb 11.9  "With his mouth the Godless destroys his neighbor..."  "Perhaps the greatest challenge in modeling is to build a competitive control line stunter that looks like a real airplane." David McCellan, 1980.

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2015, 03:28:43 PM »
Here they are, holes drilled and all!

I did purchase new HDWE for mounting, $6.52 worth of nuts and bolts, from my local hardware store. Drove 6 miles up and 6 miles back and paid two tolls. Dedication. n~

Only primer, color, panel lines and a bunch of rivets remain.  HB~>

BTW. I'm glad I ask for advice on methods of attaching these wheel well covers.

Better yet, I'm glad I got some.

At first, my thoughts were to attach these things without using solder.

Goes to show you that even and old modeler like myself can follow good advice.

Thanks guys!  H^^

Offline JIM Nordin

• Lieutenant
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2015, 06:42:57 PM »
Looks good  I'm doing the same with profile P51 B im getting ready to build

Jim

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2015, 07:21:56 PM »
Jim,

Takes a bit of time to get these tasks done.

But I'm glad I took the advice and did it this way.

I'm running 2.75" wheels with a model that spans 50".

What size is your P-51 B?

Offline JIM Nordin

• Lieutenant
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2015, 09:49:49 PM »
It's the Brodak profile,one 48 in WS  480 sq in.  Looking to pit a Evolution 36 in it

Jim

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2015, 09:00:19 AM »
Jim,

You posted the Mustang you designed and scratch built 15 years ago. Here's that photo.

Fine looking model!  H^^

My guess is your profile P-51B will be just as impressive.

Is there anyway I can I talk you into building a built up fuselage of that P-51B instead of a profile model?  ;D

Be nice to see one get built.

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2015, 02:59:24 PM »
Here are the wheel well covers in place for a temporary fit.

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2015, 05:56:03 PM »
Here's one gear strut finished except for detailing, painting and assembly.

Soldered four nuts for attaching the machine screws. Less to handle.

The ink outline is for the benefit of scanning the wheel well cover. After I scan it, I'll have the outline. I can CAD in rivet detail placement.

I know, it's nuts.

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Wheel well covers, Mig-3 New photo!
« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2015, 09:57:40 AM »
Cleaned up the struts a bit removing unneeded material.

Just playing around with the strut arms. I will remove them. Can barely see them anyway.

Don't tell anyone, but the Mig-3 aircraft has a straight struts. No kick in for the tire or wheel like the Robarts I have.

Yes, I know Robart sells straight struts. I'm not spending the money.

Besides, this is happy-scale.  #^

Last photo is what's getting bolted to the model.

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2015, 02:44:40 PM »
Why is this Stunt model in the Scale section?

Chris,

Clearly it's a semi-scale model.

I guess you haven't been following the build or don't recognize a semi-scale model of a Mig-3?

The Mig-3 is a WWII Warbird. Google it.

It's actually semi-scale and not really a stunt model.

Clearly, it's not a stunt model.  I've already been told by many that the model won't stunt.

So I'm going all out with an abundance of scale detail.

These are all scale or semi scale tasks and details, they belong in this section of the Forum.

Have you seen the scale cockpit? World Class scale! Check it out!

Scale or stunt?

Looks scale to me.

If you are interested in scale detail, keep an eye out, I'll be posting many more scale details and "tricks" as the Mig-3 progresses. Some of these details will be unknown to some modelers and some will probably be old hat.

Never know who's interested in scale.
Looks like a Mig-3 to me. Take a look at the nose then take a look at the actual aircraft.

Obviously a semi-scale model and the Thread is exactly where it belongs.

« Last Edit: April 16, 2015, 06:35:28 PM by Avaiojet »

Offline Trostle

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2015, 05:59:21 PM »
Quote from: Chris McMillin on Today at 11:32:41 AM
Why is this Stunt model in the Scale section?

Chris,

This is really for a new category like either Caricature Scale or maybe Comic Book Scale.  It would definitely not be called Semi-Scale Stunt.  He did change the shape of the vertical tail to more closely match what a scale MiG 3 would have.

Keith

This is not meant to be derogatory or bullying.  Now, it will be interesting to see how long it takes for the "moderator" of this section to erase this post.

Offline Chris McMillin

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
  • AMA 32529
« Reply #15 on: April 17, 2015, 01:40:58 AM »
Thanks Keith. I got it now.
Chris...

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #16 on: April 17, 2015, 09:14:06 AM »
I'm dropping in a bunch of photos of this semi-scale M-3 and a few of the actual Mig-3 aircraft.

It's playful scale, I always said that, but the cockpit certainly is far from playful scale. Although not totally correct in every detail, I did apply a great deal of effort in detailing it.

The fuselage nose area also has quite a bit of Mig-3 detail, although not totally correct either. Remember, the model isn't for compitition.

It's just for fun and building enjoyment.

I've added bits and pieces of some of the detail and methods I'm using in this Scale Forum, however, if anyone is interested in how this Mig-3 came about, I suggest you take a look at the complete build over at CFC Graphic's Vendor's Corner.

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #17 on: April 17, 2015, 09:20:30 AM »
If you injoy scale detailing like I do, go over to CFC Graphics and take a peek.

There's somethin for everyone. Well, almost.  LL~ LL~ LL~

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #18 on: April 21, 2015, 08:51:49 AM »
Thought I'd drop this photo in. It's a CAD drawing of the placement of rivet detail that will go on the struts.

Hey, wait a minute. That's right, I don't have a CAD program, or do I?  ;D

"Do I!" "Do I!" A line from the movie Galaxyquest.  LL~ LL~ LL~

I didn't count the rivets, but there's a bunch. Both door covers are really close in outline, so I'll just "mirror" this vector drawing for the other door cover. Takes only a second to accomplish this.

Rivets, I gotta be nuts, and it's only a semi scale model.  n~

« Last Edit: August 01, 2015, 07:23:07 PM by Avaiojet »

Offline Glenn (Gravitywell) Reach

• Gravitywell
  • 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #19 on: April 21, 2015, 09:28:09 AM »
I like Keith's suggested category name of "Caricature Scale".  Its pretty much what I do all the time.  I like to make my models at least look like it could have been a real aircraft.  We always called it "Squint Scale" or "Stand-way-the-heck-off Scale".  Caricature Scale has a nice ring to it. H^^
Glenn Reach
Westlock, Alberta
gravitywell2011 @ gmail . com

Offline Glenn (Gravitywell) Reach

• Gravitywell
  • 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #20 on: April 21, 2015, 09:30:10 AM »
And as usual Charles, I'm in awe of your building skills.  I can only wish to have your skill. H^^
Glenn Reach
Westlock, Alberta
gravitywell2011 @ gmail . com

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #21 on: April 21, 2015, 11:12:22 AM »
And as usual Charles, I'm in awe of your building skills.  I can only wish to have your skill. H^^

Glen,

I think I called the Mig-3 Comic Book scale. I'd have to go through the Thread and look for it.

Thanks for the reply.

Hey! I see you over at Builders.

Offline JIM Nordin

• Lieutenant
« Reply #22 on: April 21, 2015, 06:38:58 PM »
Very nice plane for sure  let's call it squint scale !!  Thinking of doing. Gee Bee R. For control,line maybe like I don't have  enough  to do

JIM

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #23 on: April 21, 2015, 07:13:24 PM »
Very nice plane for sure  let's call it squint scale !!  Thinking of doing. Gee Bee R. For control,line maybe like I don't have  enough  to do
JIM

Jim,

Thanks for the reply.

There's plenty of kits available for the Gee Bee Racer. GB-R-1 or the GBR-2. I even have the graphics, made them plenty of times over the years in a bunch of sizes.

The right size kit and a change in the wing, could get you a great looking almost scale Gee Bee that will stunt.

Tell ya what, if you start a Gee Bee I'll get my Gee Bee Z up and going also.

Bet you didn't know I have a Gee Bee Z framed? To bad it was built for R/C cuz I would have built it differently for CL.

I really have this thing for Gee Bee's. I also have the Gee Bee R-3 parts designed in CAD but don't tell anyone.  ;D

Please get going on that GBR.

Here's my Gee Bee Z. Any excuse to show it.  n~

Offline JIM Nordin

• Lieutenant
« Reply #24 on: April 21, 2015, 07:30:59 PM »
I picked up a set of plans for a R3. 80 inch  Prob put a Moki in it I have a new 1.8 sitting on the shelf  probly scale it's plans down to around  55 inch for the control line

Jim

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #25 on: April 22, 2015, 04:46:26 AM »
I picked up a set of plans for a R3. 80 inch  Prob put a Moki in it I have a new 1.8 sitting on the shelf  probly scale it's plans down to around  55 inch for the control line

Jim

Jim,

I ran Moki's in a few R/C models, really nice engines. I had an Extra with a 1.2 and I built this Staudacher for a 1.8. Same mounting holes.

This Staudacher would be a perfect Scale model for your Moki. It's 100 percent scale, including the airfoil. 80.5" in span. Not much left to do except covering. I have a second one, identical, that needs a bit more building.

A deal deal.

Interested?

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here