News:

• April 18, 2024, 07:16:22 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Painting a Metal Tank  (Read 1730 times)

Offline mike londke

• 23 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Painting a Metal Tank
« on: March 27, 2015, 07:54:28 PM »
Has anyone ever painted a metal tank on a profile model? If so what did you use. What was the prep?  Anyone tried rattle can Lusterkote? Thx, Mike
AMA 48913  USPA D-19580  NRA Life Member  MI State Record Holder 50 way Freefall Formation Skydive  "Don't let the planet sneak up on you"

Offline Mike Keville

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
Re: Painting a Metal Tank
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2015, 09:07:46 PM »
Clean the tank well with isopropol alcohol to remove all oil/grease.  Let it dry.  Plug all openings, then spray with Ace-brand metal primer.  Let dry, then top coat with Krylon "Fusion" (fuel-resistant) color.

FORMER member, "Academy of Multi-rotors & ARFs".

Offline mike londke

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2015, 10:44:59 PM »
Clean the tank well with isopropol alcohol to remove all oil/grease.  Let it dry.  Plug all openings, then spray with Ace-brand metal primer.  Let dry, then top coat with Krylon "Fusion" (fuel-resistant) color.

Thanks, I will give it a try. I may test the Ace primer with a top coat of Lusterkote on a spare tanks just to see the results.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2015, 07:49:23 AM by mike londke »
AMA 48913  USPA D-19580  NRA Life Member  MI State Record Holder 50 way Freefall Formation Skydive  "Don't let the planet sneak up on you"

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2015, 10:59:54 PM »
Rustoleum works well, too.  Clean the bejezus out of it, spray with metal primer, spray with Gloss Protective Enamel.
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline Joseph Patterson

• 21 supporter
  • Captain
  • AMA member- Supporter
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2015, 02:51:45 PM »
   Mike, you are the first person I've heard mention Krylon "Fusion" being fuel proof. I'm going to check it out. What type paint is it now? They sure have a bunch of neat colors to choose.
           Doug 

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2015, 03:31:19 PM »
Getting the tank really clean is very important!  Then using a good metal primer you can use just about any top coat you want to as long as it is fuel proof.  Or you can even shoot the color then apply a coat of "Death Paint". :)

BIG Bear
RNMM/AMM
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Offline Target

• C/L Addict
  • 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2015, 03:41:02 PM »
Death paint??
Depth paint, meaning clear?

Regards,
Chris
Regards,
Chris
AMA 5956

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2015, 04:07:15 PM »
Death paint??

It's a nickname for paints with really toxic ingredients, like 2-part urethanes with isocyanate activators.

If the MSDS calls out encasing yourself in rubber and wearing a positive-pressure mask -- it's death paint.
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline mike londke

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2015, 05:30:52 PM »
Clean the tank well with isopropol alcohol to remove all oil/grease.  Let it dry.  Plug all openings, then spray with Ace-brand metal primer.  Let dry, then top coat with Krylon "Fusion" (fuel-resistant) color.

I took an old tank and I did some tests with Ace metal primer and used Top Flite Lusterkote black then clear. It went on well and had no reactions so I went ahead and shot the new tank the same way. It looks good. We'll have to see how it holds up.

Offline Target

• C/L Addict
  • 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2015, 08:19:48 PM »
Hahaha, Death Paint, eh?!
We used to use a bottom paint on aluminum hulled boats called, "Tin Tox", no there was some "Death Paint"! It worked real good, not allowed anymore, it worked too good I guess!

I might have to paint the tank on my Banshee....Not tonight though, tomorrows the maiden!
I hope to get a durability report on the painted tank soon, Mike.
Hope its a happy/good one!

Kind Regards
Regards,
Chris
AMA 5956

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here