News:

• April 18, 2024, 08:24:14 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Before I hurl my Fox .15........  (Read 3434 times)

Offline Terry Caron

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Before I hurl my Fox .15........
« on: March 26, 2015, 01:58:45 PM »
Actually, it's not an X, so it'd just be for practice.  ;D

This engine was given to me many years ago and today I decided to see if it'd run.
It runs but blows a lot of fuel.
I disassembled it and see there's no crankcase/cyl base gasket.
Doesn't seem right, but what do I know?

Should there be a gasket?

Thanks.

Terry

Never mind - I found Warring's review which states that it does have a gasket.
Time to break out the circle cutter.  :)
« Last Edit: March 26, 2015, 02:40:24 PM by Terry Caron »
NACA member, Huntsville, AL
AMA 249824
NRA Life Member

Offline dennis lipsett

• Admiral
Re: Before I hurl my Fox .15........
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2015, 06:46:25 PM »
Actually, it's not an X, so it'd just be for practice.  ;D

This engine was given to me many years ago and today I decided to see if it'd run.
It runs but blows a lot of fuel.
I disassembled it and see there's no crankcase/cyl base gasket.
Doesn't seem right, but what do I know?

Should there be a gasket?

Thanks.

Terry

Never mind - I found Warring's review which states that it does have a gasket.
Time to break out the circle cutter.  :)

If it is the old 1958 Fox 15 Rocket the precursor to the 15X then yes it definitely has a base gasket. Sometimes they show up on the bay from some of the Fox retailers. It is not too difficult to cut out a gasket from card stock either. Or you could use one of the popular gasket sealers from an auto parts store. and never have to worry about the gasket blowing out on you. The head gasket from the 15X will also fit the Rocket 15.

Offline Terry Caron

• Admiral
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2015, 06:50:53 PM »
Thanks for the response Dennis - what's a good sealer that's heat resistant, non-hardening?

Terry
AMA 249824
NRA Life Member

Offline dennis lipsett

• Admiral
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2015, 06:55:44 PM »
Thanks for the response Dennis - what's a good sealer that's heat resistant, non-hardening?

Terry

I've been using NAPA 765-1237. remember that you do not overuse it . You don't want it oozing into the case. Think thin but even coat and make sure that the surfaces are clean and free of oil and dirt.

Dennis

Offline Terry Caron

• Admiral
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2015, 06:58:47 PM »
Good deal - if my card gasket doesn't work, I'll pick some up and try that.

Terry
AMA 249824
NRA Life Member

Offline Terry Caron

• Admiral
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2015, 12:39:59 PM »
Well, I installed the card gasket last night, fired it up today and it's no longer spewing fuel; on 8% nitro/28 castor it turns a MAS GF 8-4 to 13K, MAS 7-4 wide blade 14.2K, so seems to run ok.
Not gonna hurl it after all.  ;D

While we're on the subject, and just for historical accuracy:
The steel-fin .15 was introduced in 1958 and the ad about the new engine doesn't include the term "Rocket".
According to Bill Ives history of the CS series (http://www.clcombat.info/foxhistory.html), the Rockets weren't introduced 'til 1959.
So did Fox later market it as one of the Rocket series or is it simply incorrectly referred to as a "Rocket .15"?

Terry

« Last Edit: March 27, 2015, 01:19:10 PM by Terry Caron »
AMA 249824
NRA Life Member

Online Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2015, 01:13:09 PM »
Well, I installed the card gasket last night, fired it up today and it's no longer spewing fuel; on 8% nitro/28 castor it turns a MAS 8-4 to 13K, so seems to run ok.
Not gonna hurl it after all.  ;D

Steel-fins are not legal for The Hurl in any case, Rule 2, plain as day. Not that you are precluded from hurling it for personal reasons, but not for sanctioned competition, public demonstrations,  or record trials.

Howard Rush suggested a good demonstration event - leaving it on the train tracks.

Brett

Offline Terry Caron

• Admiral
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2015, 01:22:36 PM »
Thank you Brett -

I would've definitely felt slighted had you ignored such a golden opportunity.  LL~

Terry

BTW - The 2/'61 MA engine test notes that the Fox .15 was redesignated "Rocket .15" after introduction.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2015, 01:49:33 PM by Terry Caron »
AMA 249824
NRA Life Member

Online bob whitney

• Admiral
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2015, 02:44:38 PM »

after a few runs be sure to re-tighten the head and case bolts as the cardboard will soak up some of the fuel and srink a bit
rad racer

Online Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2015, 03:26:11 PM »

I would've definitely felt slighted had you ignored such a golden opportunity.  

I consider it my duty as the Deputy Commissioner of The Hurl (self-appointed) to provide timely and accurate information when possible or necessary. Over the years, we have found it very helpful to correct any misapprehensions or mistaken notions about The Hurl at the earliest point. This helps avoid unpleasant surprises on the day of the event, and despite the extreme care taken to ensure that The Rules of The Hurl are well-distributed and clearly defined, the occasional misunderstanding does crop up.

Hurl participants are almost uniformly of the highest moral and ethical character, so a word to the wise is generally sufficient. We wouldn't want a minor breach to ruin the integrity of the competition, and, well, I will just say it - the sheer majesty -  of the event.

This is particularly important during this time, as the rather sensitive discussions about an alliance or mutual cooperation agreement between The Hurl HQ and the IDTA are still in progress. We hope to be able to make an exciting announcement on this topic in the near future!

Brett

Offline dennis lipsett

• Admiral
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2015, 03:32:48 PM »
All of the low priced engines from Fox were ultimately Rockets, Roman or otherwise. I well remember its intro along with the Rocket 09 which was called a Rocket 09.
The engine was a favorite of G Aldrich but for the life of me I wonder why.
The Rocket 15 only lasted till the Fox 15X came along either late 60 or early 61 I don't remember when.
A useful modification is to replace the Phillips head screws  with socket head. Much easier to deal with than the other type. Get a #1 Phillips driver if you don't want to round the Phillips head screws out.

Dennis

Online Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2015, 03:35:41 PM »
All of the low priced engines from Fox were ultimately Rockets, Roman or otherwise. I well remember its intro along with the Rocket 09 which was called a Rocket 09.
The engine was a favorite of G Aldrich but for the life of me I wonder why.
The Rocket 15 only lasted till the Fox 15X came along either late 60 or early 61 I don't remember when.
A useful modification is to replace the Phillips head screws  with socket head. Much easier to deal with than the other type. Get a #1 Phillips driver if you don't want to round the Phillips head screws out.

Get the Japanese screwdrivers, make sure it is the largest size that will fit, and you will not have any problem with stripping the slots out. It's pretty remarkable how well Phillips heads work with the correct driver.

Brtt

Offline Terry Caron

• Admiral
« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2015, 03:52:18 PM »
Yes, I have good quality screwdriver sets from my gunsmithing days.

Brett - As Deputy Commissioner of the Hurl (Self-Appointed), would you clarify about that "mere blasphemy" part?  LL~

Terry
« Last Edit: March 27, 2015, 05:34:33 PM by Terry Caron »
AMA 249824
NRA Life Member

Offline frank mccune

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2015, 04:55:18 PM »
      Hi Terry:

I have no idea as to why anybody would advise your to get a Japanese screwdriver to work on American, Fox, screws. 

All of my adult life, I thought that Japan used different specs for their Philips screw heads and recently I found this to be true.  An American Philips screw driver would not fit the Japanese heads and would strip them.  I have been using Snap-On screwdrivers for the last 3 decades and am very pleased with them! The last No.0 that I replaced, had a price of $72.00 on it! Thank Heaven they have a life time warranty! The only screw head worse than  Philips is of course the slotted head!!!

I too have a collection of screwdrivers from my gunsmith's days!!!

Last night i disassembled an Veco .19 that was the tightest engine I had ever seen.  I had to bake it in the oven until the ATF smoked before I got the screws to budge!  With great care, I removed all of the Philips screws with no damage with my Snap On No. 0 or any of the screw heads.  Sometime one gets lucky! Lol  The owner of this engine had been soaking it in kerosene for about a month!

Stay well my friend,

Frank McCune

Online Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2015, 05:24:34 PM »
      I have no idea as to why anybody would advise your to get a Japanese screwdriver to work on American, Fox, screws. 

Because they work *FAR BETTER* than typical American types. Standard Phillips in Japanese screws = not OK. Japanese/JIS screwdrivers in Standard Phillips = very good.

Brett

Online Gerald Arana

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #15 on: March 27, 2015, 06:35:07 PM »
Personally I use my "Leatherman" tool. Haven't stripped out a Phillips yet! I think it might be made in Japan...........or China (Heaven forbid) Doesn't say.

Jerry

Offline George

• Admiral
  • Love people, Use things.
« Reply #16 on: March 27, 2015, 08:59:36 PM »
...The engine was a favorite of G Aldrich but for the life of me I wonder why...

Dennis

I believe GMA said the "Rocket" gave a better stunt run than the "X".

Both run best if you do not over-prop them...an 8x4 or a 7x6 seem good. Most recommend 15% nitro.

George
George Bain
AMA 23454

Online Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #17 on: March 27, 2015, 09:36:23 PM »
Brett - As Deputy Commissioner of the Hurl (Self-Appointed), would you clarify about that "mere blasphemy" part?

I know you are trying to be funny, and we have our moments of amusement,  but rest assured that both Commissioner Fernandez and myself take this all very seriously. These sorts of flippant remarks are really not in keeping with the dignity of The Hurl, and sanctions can be imposed for repeat offenders. Right now, only one person has been banned for life for this (Rule 69 violations), but other penalties can be imposed.

Again, we want to minimize any violations of either word or deed while the IDTA negotiations are ongoing.

I would also note, while on the topic of (using the wording in the rules) "excluded persons", for those who didn't hear about it over the HIN (5883 Khz, AM, not SSB), Barry Zito is also excluded.  Not for Rule 69 violations, but under Rule 7 (professional), as it appears he may make the A's 40-man roster. Should that change by September, then, perhaps. I assume this is why he has not returned my repeated phone calls on the topic. Note that 7 para. A is also why Commissioner Fernandez' Brobdingnagian hurl of 254' from 2001 is also "unofficial".

Brett

Offline Terry Caron

• Admiral
« Reply #18 on: March 27, 2015, 10:03:46 PM »
As one who'll certainly always "go along to get along", I'd like to ask how many violations do I get does it take to prompt a ban?

Terry
AMA 249824
NRA Life Member

Online Motorman

• Admiral
« Reply #19 on: March 28, 2015, 08:51:26 AM »
Can you nip the end off an American phillips to make a jap phillips?

MM

Online Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #20 on: March 28, 2015, 10:39:52 AM »
Can you nip the end off an American phillips to make a jap phillips?

You can certainly re-grind them to fit better. In particular, the Japanese types have sharp edges everywhere and don't try to cam out of the screw like a conventional Phillips.

Brett

Online Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #21 on: March 28, 2015, 12:06:09 PM »
As one who'll certainly always "go along to get along", I'd like to ask how many violations do I get does it take to prompt a ban?

The Sword of Damocles hangs over all transgressors.

Brett

Offline Terry Caron

• Admiral
« Reply #22 on: March 28, 2015, 12:19:16 PM »
   The Sword of Damocles hangs over all transgressors.

Brett

Whew!!
That's a relief!  D>K
Thought maybe I'd be Fox X'd to death.

Terry
AMA 249824
NRA Life Member

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here