News:

• April 26, 2024, 10:38:15 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Prop size ??  (Read 1478 times)

Offline Steve Agrella

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Lieutenant
    • Steve Agrella Photography
Prop size ??
« on: March 24, 2015, 09:54:23 PM »
How do you know what prop size to use for a given combination.
 Is there a formula, or a chart or just experience

Offline Balsa Butcher

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
  • High Desert Flier
Re: Prop size ??
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2015, 10:04:34 PM »
Experience, experimentation, personal preference, and the recommendations of others. There is some good info above this subject in the "Tell us your LA-46 setup" thread and in any thread that is posted by Randy Smith. There are also a lot of experienced modelers in your area who fly at the Sepulveda Basin and/or Whittier Narrows. I'd contact one of them, possible through the Knights of Round Circle or Circle Burners Clubs and get some assistance with your early flights. It will make the learning curve less steep and the experience more fun. 8)
Pete Cunha
Sacramento CA.
AMA 57499

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2015, 10:48:46 PM »
Ditto on what Randy Smith says.  Brett Buck, if he speaks up on an engine topic, is saying something worth listening to.

When I have some specific engine that I don't have experience with I ask here and hope that neither Brett nor Randy say "oh, that one's never been tried -- let us know how it works out", or worse "that's a good RC engine but it doesn't do well for CL stunt".

It's very helpful if you state the plane you're flying, your expected weight (well, what you expect the plane to weigh), and the engine you plan on using.

Sometimes, it's even more helpful to state the plane and the expected weight and then to ask what engine to use, or tell us what nifty new engine you've acquired and ask what size plane should go with it.
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline Terry Caron

• Admiral
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2015, 09:36:01 PM »
Hi Steve -

Here's a chart that gives basic recommendations for various engine sizes, taken from published  information.
Specific prop can vary depending on many factors, but more often than not, one of the props shown will work well enough to get you going.

Terry
NACA member, Huntsville, AL
AMA 249824
NRA Life Member

Offline Steve Agrella

• Lieutenant
    • Steve Agrella Photography
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2015, 08:59:46 PM »
Thanks very much Terry for the chart, just what I was looking for H^^

Offline Terry Caron

• Admiral
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2015, 06:45:44 PM »
You're very welcome Steve.
Here's another chart giving a bit different range.

Terry
NACA member, Huntsville, AL
AMA 249824
NRA Life Member

Online Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2015, 08:24:43 PM »
You're very welcome Steve.
Here's another chart giving a bit different range.

Terry

In both cases, I think these are more applicable to older engines than to anything made in the last 30 or so years. For stunt, you want something in the range of 4" of pitch, not 6" as this suggests in many cases. This will permit/require the engine to run in the 12000 rpm range in the air, where it has a chance to make decent power with decent fuel suction without modifications.

Brett

Offline Chris Wilson

• Admiral
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2015, 12:05:34 AM »
How do you know what prop size to use for a given combination.
 Is there a formula, or a chart or just experience
Does not the manufacturer give some details?

I know that my PAW 40 likes 7" of pitch and some four strokes are the same, as are RCV geared engines (some have a 2:1 reduction drive built in).

I know that these are exceptions but they are made within the last 30 years.

But please, give us the 'combination,'
MAAA AUS 73427

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.
 Nothing in life is so exhilarating as to be shot at without result.  It's not enough that we do our best; sometimes we have to do what's required

Offline Motorman

• Admiral
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2015, 08:42:39 AM »
Generally speaking diameter/blade area has to do with the size of the airplane and pitch has to do with the rpm range of the engine.

MM

Online bob whitney

• Admiral
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2015, 08:44:41 AM »

the Deisel wants more pitch than a glo. Brett is right ,but the split needs to be cross flo Baffle ,and schnule (spelling ) the cross flo wants more pitch, 5,6,7,in. the schnully less pitc ,4,5,6,in
rad racer

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here