News:

• April 25, 2024, 09:57:13 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Electric Wood Props on an IC engine  (Read 1036 times)

Offline Douglas Ames

• 2014 Supporters
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Electric Wood Props on an IC engine
« on: March 23, 2015, 04:19:45 PM »
What's everyone's thoughts on this. I realize the electric props are lighter and less robust at the root, but is there really  any danger of blade separation? I'm thinking they are more efficient too, hence the question.
AMA 656546

If you do a little bit every day it will get done, or you can do it tomorrow.

Offline Terry Caron

• Admiral
Re: Electric Wood Props on an IC engine
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2015, 12:31:33 PM »
Looks like you're in the driver's seat on this one Douglas.  ;D

Try one and let us know what you find.

Terry
NACA member, Huntsville, AL
AMA 249824
NRA Life Member

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2015, 12:51:31 PM »
If you try it, inspect the prop carefully before each use.  I suppose we should all (electric and slime alike) be doing that...
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Online Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2015, 03:45:01 PM »
What's everyone's thoughts on this. I realize the electric props are lighter and less robust at the root, but is there really  any danger of blade separation? I'm thinking they are more efficient too, hence the question.

I would go very easy on that. The torque variation over a rev is pretty impressive, and will make the blades whip fore-aft. Wood might be better than plastic since it doesn't fatigue, but I would be very careful around it.

I think the relatively high efficiency is a good reason *not* to use it. If you have power to burn (and you do) you want it to be extremely inefficient in level flight. "High rev" systems count on that to maintain speed stability.

Brett

Offline FLOYD CARTER

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • owner
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2015, 03:57:05 PM »

Why would you want to do something that is NOT ADVISED?  There must be a good reason for that.  I don't like to experiment where safety is concerned.

F.C.
89 years, but still going (sort of)
AMA #796  SAM #188  LSF #020

Offline David Fountain

• New Pilot
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2015, 09:11:49 PM »
I know this is an old thread but I have to say that trying props ment for electrics on IC engines is not a good idea. the reason being is not the RPM and what not but the hammering effect (pulses) that a IC engine produces especially four strokes or four stroking two strokes as they run. The hubs/roots on electric props are not as strong since the torque applied by electric motors is done smoothly so there is no need for the thick roots needed on conventional props for gas engines. If an electric prop is used on an IC engine there is a good chance that the pulsing caused by the power strokes as the engine fires will cause an electric prop to shatter Do what you want but I would stay as far away from the arch as you can in case the prop should explode. (David)
If it ain't broke, Don't Fix It!!

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here