• April 18, 2024, 10:38:23 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: VSC27  (Read 22069 times)

Offline John Sunderland

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain
Re: VSC27
« Reply #100 on: April 26, 2015, 06:29:37 AM »
This is a 1962 Ares....designed by Bill Werwage in 1959. This is said to be the best version of the lineage. Wesley Dick from Ft. Wayne Indiana campaigns this one and has had several other 1962 Ares in his stable. Dennis has been working with him. If I have to say Dennis last name, some generation of ART from Detroit will slap the @#$% out of me.

Ed Southwick's Lark as modeled by Charley Reeves of Paducah Ky. Charley flew early version Sharks (Humblers) with Lew McFarland in the development stages of the Shark. Lew lived in Lexington Ky. I was conceived up around Fort Knox....in 1961. Born in '62....a tike at the circles when most of these men were in their heyday as young men. Impressionable minds were impressed!! I was born in Richmond Ky.....as was Brett I believe and I know he got his bachelors there if not more.

At several VSC' events in the past I met with Ed. When I was a young modeler perusing old model mags this airplane was on my favorites list. He was the kindest loving soul I have ever met. Honest to a fault, always a gentleman. When I heard he and his wife died in a head on collision while returning home from VSC I was crushed! Wept openly at their loss.

Somehow back in '68 Billy went to Texas for the Nats I think and Jerry Worth showed up with this thing called an Apterix....essentially it became a USA1. This version campaigned by a nice gentlemen from Salt Lake named Jim Rhoades. Also one of the nicest men to grace the stunt circles we play upon.

Oooosa Aaaama....A brass player from Jersey, lived in NYC with the '69 Nats champ Bob Lampione...They had issues living across the hall from each other I have heard. Champion can set us all straight later.... This is a Bill Simons design. Another of his designs will be featured shortly. Keith has the red white blue version of this one in his shop...the second or third I think published around 71 or so. I was on fire for this as a young up and comer....it was slick!

A Jack Sheeks design from the early '70s this semi scale German design of the Heinkel 100 flies very very well as campaigned by Robert Compton. With an LA 46....this a weapon. Robert executes a solid pattern with no real trimming, no hinge lines taped...I had him send me the PDF to blow it up so I could build one. Jack is in a league of his own. I have sat in his basement, read all of his articles from the first to the last and laughed my ass off in his presence every time I see him. Judged by him. He and my dad flew against each other often in the mid '60s. Indy to Mid Ohio is a stones throw away. Jack stated that the old "Stunt conspiracy" would fly one flight at Anderson and another in Lafayette on the same day...and run back to pick up their winnings at Anderson before strolling back to Indy! Somewhere in Indiana whilst collecting winnings or competing my father says that while consuming a cold frosty beverage Jack was heard to say," Ya know, the problem with beer is, I love the STUFF!" and took both hands to exaggerate...tipped it up in one pull and chugged it like a dying man in the desert led to water! LL~ Jack is the funniest SOB here. His wife is a peach. The man was a motorcycle cop in Indy back in the day.

« Last Edit: April 26, 2015, 11:14:48 PM by John Sunderland »

Offline Gordan Delaney

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #101 on: April 26, 2015, 11:23:17 AM »
Hi John,
The man flying the Apterix is really Jim Rhoades not Jim Young. Jim and I are both flying Apterix planes. I just put on the USA rudder.

Gordy

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #102 on: April 26, 2015, 12:32:17 PM »
Thanks John for the pics and the stories.  I have been fortunate enough to meet these people/heroes at VSC and various places. It was a heartbreaker when I heard of the loss of Ed and his beautiful wife.   Also Rolland sent me plans for all of his designs.  Even the D tube wing version.  Don't think I ever met your Dad.
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline rustler

• Captain
« Reply #103 on: April 26, 2015, 01:46:55 PM »
Can anyone post a pic (I can use) of Kaz Minato's VSC 27 winner? I'm trying to do a write-up of the event and missed the most important one! HB~> ''
Ian Russell.
[I can remember the schedule o.k., the problem is remembering what was the last manoeuvre I just flew!].

Offline John Sunderland

• Captain
« Reply #104 on: April 26, 2015, 11:05:51 PM »
Hi John,
The man flying the Apterix is really Jim Rhoades not Jim Young. Jim and I are both flying Apterix planes. I just put on the USA rudder.

Gordy

Thanks Gordy...and sorry Jim! I will make the correction. It was the wee hours and I am claiming geezer moment on several mistakes I made. They will be corrected in short order. I was busy flying all day with Jim and Grady.....Grady said to tell you " Hi!".

Offline John Sunderland

• Captain
« Reply #105 on: April 26, 2015, 11:16:45 PM »
Thanks John for the pics and the stories.  I have been fortunate enough to meet these people/heroes at VSC and various places. It was a heartbreaker when I heard of the loss of Ed and his beautiful wife.   Also Rolland sent me plans for all of his designs.  Even the D tube wing version.  Don't think I ever met your Dad.

You did...at the Nats but he was still recovering from several long years of illness that made him a bit quieter than he was already. To see a picture of him go to my page over on FB.

Offline John Sunderland

• Captain
« Reply #106 on: April 26, 2015, 11:36:50 PM »
Can anyone post a pic (I can use) of Kaz Minato's VSC 27 winner? I'm trying to do a write-up of the event and missed the most important one! HB~> ''

Please give me a little time....it is Gorgeous and I have several shots of it.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here