News:

• April 23, 2024, 01:05:35 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Green Box Nobler building tips.  (Read 3841 times)

Offline frank mccune

• AMA Member
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Green Box Nobler building tips.
« on: March 08, 2015, 11:08:50 AM »
     Hello All:

Before I start building my GBN, I would like to have some suggestions as how I can make it better than the one that I built circa 1973.  What improvements are good to add to the basic kit.

It was suggested to me to sell the GBN and use the proceeds to purchase a more modern kit that would be easier to build, with better wood and would fly much better.  If this is true, what kit would one suggest as a replacement for the GBN?

Tia,

Frank McCune

Offline Balsa Butcher

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
  • High Desert Flier
Re: Green Box Nobler building tips.
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2015, 05:18:07 PM »
The RSM Nobler...it, unlike the Brodak Nobler, is a green box Nobler replica.  8)
Pete Cunha
Sacramento CA.
AMA 57499

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2015, 07:26:54 PM »
Or copy the GBN plans, trace any wood pieces that aren't shown on the plans, and scratch build.
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Online Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2015, 09:12:48 PM »
The RSM Nobler...it, unlike the Brodak Nobler, is a green box Nobler replica.  8)

Well, for good or bad, it's not quite. The fuselage, in particular, is wider to accommodate modern engines.

Brett

Offline Balsa Butcher

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
  • High Desert Flier
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2015, 11:17:50 PM »
Well, I didn't say exact replica. The changes are to accomodate ease of building, a standard 2" wide fuel tank and modern engines. I believe that is what the original poster was interested in. 8)  
Pete Cunha
Sacramento CA.
AMA 57499

Offline EddyR

• Admiral
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2015, 06:34:53 AM »
I agree that the RSM Nobler would be a better choice. The original 57 Nobler kit can be built into a very good model but it needs a lot of help to get there. Most of the wood will be dried out and heavy after 50 years. I have built them from the Green Box plans and they flew good.The stab and elevator is difficult to build and George never built one anything like the kit. He started with 1/2" sheet.
Ed
Locust NC 40 miles from the Huntersville field

Offline Dennis Toth

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2015, 08:27:54 PM »
Probably the most important change would be to use either an LA25 or AeroTiger36 for power. Use Aluminum mount pads on the motor mounts. Aim for 44 oz ish, build the wing in a jig (rods work, Bob Hunt lost foam jig is better). Glass the flaps with 1/2 oz and epoxy using the scrap of and roll with toilet paper. Install an adjustable length tail horn and access hatch (some Noblers need less flap to elevator movement). Use a 4" bellcrank and adjustable leadout guide. Use fillets on the stab to keep it from twisting. Glass the nose of the ship at least back to the middle of the wing with 1/2 oz or 3/4 oz glass and epoxy use the scrap and roll off method. Use a dope finish with a final coat of Diamond Clear or Death paint at least on the nose back to mid wing.

If you don't want to build the ship you have and sell it but still want something in the Nobler family consider the Bob G - Nobler. It is a bit smaller and would also work well with the LA 25 or AeroTiger 36.

Best,    DennisT

Offline David Ruff

• 2018 Supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2015, 05:53:52 AM »
RSM or Brodak kit
Retired Army

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here