News:

• April 17, 2024, 07:57:25 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: New Retractable Landing Gear System  (Read 3554 times)

Offline Martin Quartim

• 22 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain
    • StuntHobby
New Retractable Landing Gear System
« on: March 04, 2015, 05:50:09 AM »

I became friend with a new C/L flyer  and he has a lot of creativity. I have been helping him developing his new model and he wanted to make it with retractable landing gear.

He first thought about using the system from Jomar, but he did not like it so he made a new one and he asked to share this video of his system with you all:

The system senses when the engine starts and stop with  rpm sensor with two magnets on the spinner. He said the total weight of the LG with battery and cables is about

He also told me that the "CPU" can be used to control a flap tab and rudder.

He plans to produce in quantity to sell and he would like your feedback to see what demand there is for a product like this.

Martin

Old Enya's never die, they just run stronger!

https://www.youtube.com/user/martinSOLO

Offline Allan Perret

• Admiral
  • Proverbs
Re: New Retractable Landing Gear System
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2015, 06:44:10 AM »
The weight is missing.

What about cost ?
Allan Perret
AMA 302406
Slidell, Louisiana

Offline Keith Miller

• Commander
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2015, 07:20:10 AM »
I think that's clever!
So, you're caught tweeking the needle valve longer than expected and the gear retracts while you're walking out to the handle.  I imagine there would have to be some way for the launcher/helper to trigger the system to ensure the gear doesn't retract for some time period after launch.  Or maybe an accelerometer that doesn't trigger the system until it sees >1G acceleration towards the outboard tip.

Offline Bob Hunt

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2015, 07:45:14 AM »
The use of 2.4 GHz radio transmitters and receivers is now legal for use in competition CL stunt models. Legal uses of the 2.4 system are motor shutoff and landing gear retraction and extension. For me this is the preferred method. For one thing, if I get a prop strike on takeoff, or from something in the air (a bird for example) and break a blade, I can shut the motor (or in my case, motors...) off and save the model from damage from vibration. It also prevents the possibility of the motor or engine from vibrating loose and flying off the model and hitting someone. Landing gear retraction and extension can be done at the pilot's discretion. Easy peasy. The actual hardware doesn't weigh much at all, and is now very cost effective.

Another method of retraction and extension is via one of Will Hubin's timers. The timers can be used in IC applications to just retract and extend the gear. The needle valve adjustment time would not be a problem if the helper or pilot simply pushes the timer "go" button after having adjusted the needle valve. In electric there is no need to adjust the motor speed after starting, so the timer function is a no-brainer there.

Retracts pose other problems, however. Most applications (especially single engine/motor planes) have the gear retracting inward, like a P-51 for instance. That would be no problem if it were possible to lock the inboard end of the strut into the wheel well. Under "G" loads the strut may tend to "sag" out of the well in inside maneuvers. This will disturb the airfoil and affect the model's flight. The lighter wheels available these days tends to minimize this affect, but it is still there. I've found that retracting the main gear on my twin designs forward into the nacelles (or up next to the nacelles in the profile test bed ship...) and the nose gear rearward into the nose of the fuselage circumvents this problem.

Just some thoughts..

Bob Hunt  

Online Paul Smith

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2015, 08:24:16 AM »
2.4 is the way to go.  100% off the shelf and it's all simple plugin stuff.
Paul Smith

Offline Martin Quartim

• 22 supporter
  • Captain
    • StuntHobby
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2015, 09:49:52 AM »
Bob Thank you for your valuable input! I will pass on. I had no idea Radio Control was legal now.

Martin

Offline Martin Quartim

• 22 supporter
  • Captain
    • StuntHobby
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2015, 09:54:21 AM »
The weight is missing.

What about cost ?

Hi Allan,

He said the weight is about 5.4Oz for everything and the cost will be around $95.00

Martin

Offline Bob Hunt

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2015, 10:15:34 AM »
Wow! 5.4 ounces is a ton! Way too heavy for our use. Unless that is the weight of the gear, the wheels and the retraction/extension unit.

Later - Bob

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2015, 10:47:53 AM »
4.5oz sounds right (or maybe a bit light) for gear, battery & all.  It's way too much for just the electronics.

The TUT could do this with an appropriate script, but if your quantities are high enough a purpose-built timer would cost less.
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline Fred Cronenwett

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Lafayette Esquadrille
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2015, 08:53:11 PM »
We have been using electric retracts with the 2.4 Ghz system in CL scale since 2013 and I did a video showing how to setup retracts if you want P-51 gear doors.

For CL stunt lose the gear door sequencer, gear door servos and the gear doors and just plug the electric retracts into the receiver and you are ready to go. I also have other videos on my channel that show how to setup and use the 2.4 ghz systems. Get a small battery to keep the weight down

this video shows the basics of 2.4 Ghz and some basics of the electric retracts.

Fred
Fred Cronenwett
AMA CLSCALE7 - CL Scale
Model Aviation CL Scale columnist

Offline Randy Cuberly

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2015, 10:07:57 PM »
Hmmmm.
That's pretty cool Fred.  If they aren't too heavy I think the gear door sequencer and servos would be very useful and cool on a stunter.  The wing could stay very clean when the gear is retracted.  Just looking at the video they don't appear to be very heavy.

Randy Cuberly

Randy Cuberly
Tucson, AZ

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here