News:

• May 07, 2024, 12:30:43 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Airlines and Batteries  (Read 2067 times)

Offline Howard Rush

• 22 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Airlines and Batteries
« on: March 03, 2015, 02:55:28 PM »
Here's an interesting article: http://www.aviationpros.com/news/11864405/airlines-stop-accepting-rechargeable-battery-shipments?utm_source=GSM+E-Newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=AVVDB150225002 .  It doesn't apply to us directly, but you can see the sort of discussion people are having.  It looks like regulators need to clamp down on irresponsible airlines, but when they do, I worry about small numbers of carry-on LiPos being included in the ban.
The Jive Combat Team
Making combat and stunt great again

Offline FLOYD CARTER

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • owner
Re: Airlines and Batteries
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2015, 11:51:03 AM »
My newspaper (!) today had an article on this.  Seems that some airlines have voluntarily banned shipments of large quantities of lithium batteries.  No info on small quantities, as the 3 or 4 you might order from Taiwan.  Several fires aboard planes have been traced to lithium batteries, so they are stopping such shipments.

I doubt if this will affect our small usage.  It might affect Tesla Motor Cio., however.

Floyd
89 years, but still going (sort of)
AMA #796  SAM #188  LSF #020

Offline Rudy Taube

• Ret Flyboy
  • 2018 Supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2015, 03:05:35 PM »
Thanks for the info. Howard

The new regulations, that came into effect in January and March of this year, make it very difficult for us in the USA to transport our LiPo batteries on any commercial passenger aircraft. The limit of 100W, "carry on" only, and NONE allowed in check in baggage, allows us to bring only one battery (maybe two?) with us on a commercial passenger aircraft.

The good news is that we can ship them via UPS anywhere in the USA by surface UPS transport with almost no limitations. We can ship them via UPS CARGO aircraft, but it will require some extra paperwork and in some cases additional $$ above the normal air shipping costs.

UPS has an excellent explanation of the new regulations, and their shipping rules, for our CL "Lithium Ion Polymer" batteries.

http://www.ups.com/media/news/en/us_lithium_battery_regulations.pdf

Warm Regards,
Rudy
AMA 1667

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2015, 04:15:45 PM »
They really don't seem to want us to transport airplanes. First it was dogs sniffing nitro and now batteries. Not fun.
Member in good standing of P.I.S.T
(Politically Incorrect Stunt Team)
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2015, 04:37:56 PM »
"Page not found".  I tried ordering some lithium coin cells from DigiKey only to be told that the post office refuses shipment of any sort of lithium cells.

It sounds like you'll need to ship your fuel ahead to the next World Championships, whether you're flying slime or 'lectric.
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline Howard Rush

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2015, 05:17:08 PM »
I don't see any change to the rules in effect last summer for carry-on batteries:  http://phmsa.dot.gov/safetravel/batteries .

The limit of 100W, "carry on" only

I think you mean W-hour.  Stunt batteries are nowhere close to 100W-hour.  The above Web site says that you can only carry on two "large" lithium-ion batteries (8 to 25 gm of lithium).  It also says that 100W-hour batteries are not considered "large".  Looks like we can still carry plenty on board. 
The Jive Combat Team

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2015, 09:28:25 AM »
Howard's website seems to say that carrying "spare" batteries not in a device are mostly OK but only in a carry on, not in check baggage. Does that mean that if I put 6 batteries in my carry on, that will be OK, but if they are stored in packaging in my suitcase, that's a no-no?
Member in good standing of P.I.S.T
(Politically Incorrect Stunt Team)
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Howard Rush

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2015, 01:27:58 PM »
Yes.  Helicopter guys have gotten away with checking a monster battery inside a helicopter as "installed in a device."   Even if they'd let you check one in your airplane, you probably wouldn't want it there because its mass would increase the probability of the cargo handlers damaging your airplane.
The Jive Combat Team

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here