News:

• April 18, 2024, 04:15:16 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: My First Dope Paint Job on a Plane  (Read 17886 times)

Offline Shug Emery

• 2018 Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
  • Whoooo Buddy))))
    • Sean Emery funny guy juggling and stuff
My First Dope Paint Job on a Plane
« on: March 01, 2015, 07:33:42 PM »
I got this old Chief gifted to me. Keith Sandberg and I flew down to SIG awhile back and Mike G. pulled this Chief out of the rafters and handed it to Keith. Keith turned and handed it to me saying..."there is something for your OS .46LA"
It was just silkspanned and not painted.
So I filled the front cockpit a while back and have spent some time getting it ready to paint. Mostly, I have gotten pretty good at repairing broken silkspan  :o
Last night I got to taping it up and checked and re-checked. Painted the tape lines with dope and thinner thinned 50/50. That worked great. Saw that on a Windy tape.
Also watched a lot of Sparky's videos so I felt pretty prepared. Went out this morking to peel up the tape. Used a blow dryer and started. I had nightmars about the paint coming off the white base and the black peeling up with the tape. But it came off really good and I am thrilled with the clean lines. I bit of overspray came right off with some alcohol. Saw both Sparky and Windy use that technique.
Now to knock down edhes and the red and gray will come next.
Whoooooo Buddy)))))
Shug

Whoooooo Buddy)))))))

Offline wwwarbird

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
Re: My First Dope Paint Job on a Plane
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2015, 08:53:43 PM »

Lookin' good Shug! Practicing these procedures will make you very good at holding your breath. ;D
Narrowly averting disaster since 1964! 

Wayne Willey
Albert Lea, MN U.S.A. IC C/L Aircraft Modeler, Ex AMA member

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2015, 09:18:08 PM »
Hi Shug,

Great looking for your first job!  Can't wait to see the finished scheme.  What are you going to use for clear?

BIG Bear
RNMM/AMM
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Offline Shug Emery

• 2018 Supporter
  • Admiral
  • Whoooo Buddy))))
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2015, 10:01:45 PM »
Lookin' good Shug! Practicing these procedures will make you very good at holding your breath. ;D
I'm in it for the head rush))))
Thanks Wayne.

Hi Shug,

Great looking for your first job!  Can't wait to see the finished scheme.  What are you going to use for clear?

BIG Bear
RNMM/AMM
I have some Brodak Crystal Clear that I will use. Will clean the airbrush and see how it goes. I thankee.
Whoooooo Buddy)))))))

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2015, 10:40:14 PM »
I'm in it for the head rush))))
Thanks Wayne.
I have some Brodak Crystal Clear that I will use. Will clean the airbrush and see how it goes. I thankee.

Hi Shug,

If you plan on a lot of dope finishes I would look at getting Non tautening clear in the gallons size from a place like Aircraft Spruce.  They carry Randolphs in non tautening butyrate.  A quart of tautening butyrate for shrinking the open bays, and all the colors in pint sizes.  Brodak's is completely compatible with Randolphs.  In fact it is made from Randolphs base materials.  You will find the Randolphs to be much cheaper than Brodak or Sig per ounce.

Keep on keepin' on!  You are off to a great start!
Bill
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Offline Tom Niebuhr

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2015, 06:19:12 AM »
Shug,
You are a very fast learner. It looks really goooooood!

Did you use Sparky's primer method?

Now you can leave the arfs behind. Nothing compares with the satisfaction of doing it yourself. You are ready to build a kit, or even building from plans.
AMA 7544

Offline Shug Emery

• 2018 Supporter
  • Admiral
  • Whoooo Buddy))))
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2015, 06:36:52 AM »
Hi Shug,

If you plan on a lot of dope finishes I would look at getting Non tautening clear in the gallons size from a place like Aircraft Spruce.  They carry Randolphs in non tautening butyrate.  A quart of tautening butyrate for shrinking the open bays, and all the colors in pint sizes.  Brodak's is completely compatible with Randolphs.  In fact it is made from Randolphs base materials.  You will find the Randolphs to be much cheaper than Brodak or Sig per ounce.

Keep on keepin' on!  You are off to a great start!
Bill
Thanks for the tip.

Shug,
You are a very fast learner. It looks really goooooood!

Did you use Sparky's primer method?

Now you can leave the arfs behind. Nothing compares with the satisfaction of doing it yourself. You are ready to build a kit, or even building from plans.
Thanks Tom.
I primed with priming white. Did not use silver...could not get it to go on as it always came out like thinner! I shook and stirred a long time too.
My Prowler was built be me and I am framing up an RSM Mustang elecric right now. Cannot believe how long building takes. ARFs are just building up my fleet until the point that I feel I am flying not to crash but flying with a bit more confidence.
Whoooooo Buddy)))))))

Offline wwwarbird

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2015, 05:22:47 PM »
Will clean the airbrush and see how it goes. I thankee.

I'm not sure what you're using as an "airbrush" here Shug, but here's something to consider...

For the general spraying over the larger areas I use a small automotive detail gun from Harbor Freight. I've got three of them, they were super cheap, like only 10 bucks apiece and they work great. I save and use one of them for clear ONLY. That way you never have to worry about a sneaky chunk of color accidentally introducing itself to your gleaming clearcoat. HB~>

I also use an actual airbrush a lot for smaller areas, detail work, and spotting in after a repair. They both work great, it just depends on the task at hand which one you decide to use at any given time.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2015, 05:59:43 PM by wwwarbird »

Wayne Willey

Offline Shug Emery

• 2018 Supporter
  • Admiral
  • Whoooo Buddy))))
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2015, 06:09:59 AM »
I'm not sure what you're using as an "airbrush" here Shug but here's something to consider...

For the general spraying over the larger areas I use a small automotive detail gun from Harbor Freight. I've got three of them, they were super cheap, like only 10 bucks apiece and they work great. I save and use one of them for clear ONLY. That way you never have to worry about a sneaky chunk of color accidentally introducing itself to your gleaming clearcoat. HB~>

I also use an actual airbrush a lot for smaller areas, detail work, and spotting in after a repair. They both work great, it just depends on the task at hand which one you decide to use at any given time.
I have been using my Iwata airbrush. Only ever used it with airbrush paint and usually doing fabrics. Have a very old touch up gun but may toss it. All gunked up. I'll buy a new auto touch up gun. Pulled out the big loud rattely compessor too. I have a nice silent compressor for my Iwata airbrush but not enough ooomph for the touch up gun.
Spraying dope is a whole new thing. And learning to clean the brushes is a chore!
Here is some airbrush art in my portfolio.....https://www.flickr.com/photos/shugsbackpacktrips/sets/72157629293172614/

[/url]

Whoooooo Buddy)))))))

Offline Tom Niebuhr

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2015, 07:46:50 AM »
Shug,
You continue to amaze us!!  You are one very talented dude.
AMA 7544

Offline tom brightbill

• 2018 Supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2015, 10:01:06 AM »
Shug, You'll have planes on the front row, and probably not to long from now.  Wow!
AMA 34849

Offline Dennis Saydak

• 23 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2015, 05:41:14 PM »
Shug, you will love the way the Chief flies. Keith had one that I saw at the Fargo contest a few years ago. It had a 4-cycle engine in it. It flew the prettiest pattern I've ever seen over the years and I was amazed that such an old design could fly so well. Of course the weather conditions and Keith had something to do with that.  :)
Just when you think you're getting ahead in the rat race.....you find the rats just get faster! MAAC 13120L

Offline Shug Emery

• 2018 Supporter
  • Admiral
  • Whoooo Buddy))))
« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2015, 06:20:52 PM »
Shug,
You continue to amaze us!!  You are one very talented dude.
Hope I can transfer this over to painting on a stunter. Seems like a whole different substrate. I truly admire those 18 to 20 points paint jobs....in the time alone.

Shug, You'll have planes on the front row, and probably not to long from now.  Wow!
That would be a goal but I am learning how difficult it is. Can't even imagine all the buffing. Then you fly the piece of art! I love that about Stunt))))

Shug, you will love the way the Chief flies. Keith had one that I saw at the Fargo contest a few years ago. It had a 4-cycle engine in it. It flew the prettiest pattern I've ever seen over the years and I was amazed that such an old design could fly so well. Of course the weather conditions and Keith had something to do with that.  :)
That is great to hear. Keith would never admit it himself. He is humble that way.
Thanks....even more excited to fly it.
Whoooooo Buddy)))))))

Offline tom brightbill

• 2018 Supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2015, 06:29:09 PM »
Shug, Here's the ticket for buffing, thanks to Alan!
 http://stunthanger.com/smf/index.php/topic,30241.0.html
AMA 34849

Offline Shug Emery

• 2018 Supporter
  • Admiral
  • Whoooo Buddy))))
« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2015, 10:06:35 PM »
Shug, Here's the ticket for buffing, thanks to Alan!
 http://stunthanger.com/smf/index.php/topic,30241.0.html

Terrific info...thanks for this!
Shug
Whoooooo Buddy)))))))

Offline Shug Emery

• 2018 Supporter
  • Admiral
  • Whoooo Buddy))))
« Reply #15 on: March 04, 2015, 10:09:23 PM »
Got the Madrid Red on tonight. Needs a bunch of wee touch-ups but overall pleased. Now to spray in Polar Gray on leading edge and trim out with it. And maybe a thin touch of white. Still staring and thinking.....
My hat is off to all those who do those wonderful paint finishes. Nothing easy about it.
I have so much more to learn.
Oh yeah, then the lettering and/or graphics....vinyl? paint? Hmmmmm////
Shug

Whoooooo Buddy)))))))

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #16 on: March 05, 2015, 01:40:28 PM »
Cool look, Shug. Keep at it.
Member in good standing of P.I.S.T
(Politically Incorrect Stunt Team)
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Wade Bognuda

• Commander
« Reply #17 on: March 05, 2015, 02:59:45 PM »
That looks great!!

Offline wwwarbird

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #18 on: March 05, 2015, 08:22:15 PM »
Still staring and thinking.....

I enjoy that part of the process.  Lookin' good Shug!

Wayne Willey

Offline RknRusty

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
    • My Tube channel
« Reply #19 on: March 05, 2015, 09:16:05 PM »
Hi, Shug.
I can't add anything to the above comments, but I assure you I am equally impressed. I was pretty proud of my Osprey, though it was a comparative hack job to your artwork. Now it's in pieces, but will fly again. Looking forward to seeing in real life.
Rusty
DON'T PANIC!
Rusty Knowlton
... and never Ever think about how good you are at something...
while you're doing it!

Jackson Flyers Association (a.k.a. The Wildcat Rangers(C/L))- Fort Jackson, SC
Metrolina Control Line Society (MCLS) - Huntersville, NC - The Carolina Gang
Congaree Flyers - Gaston, SC -  http://www.congareeflyer.com
www.coxengineforum.com

Online RC Storick

• Forum owner
  • Administrator
  • Admiral
  • The finish starts with the first piece of wood cut
    • Stunt Hangar
« Reply #20 on: March 07, 2015, 08:51:24 AM »
Use the gold leaf method I describe in my videos you have come this far might as well go all the way. It's not that hard all you have to do is try.
AMA 12366

Offline Shug Emery

• 2018 Supporter
  • Admiral
  • Whoooo Buddy))))
« Reply #21 on: March 07, 2015, 10:06:52 AM »
Cool look, Shug. Keep at it.
Thanks.....touch up and touch up and more touch up......

That looks great!!
Starting to get into the Zen of it all...... Thankee

I enjoy that part of the process.  Lookin' good Shug!
Staring helps. Decided to paint the leading edge black and forgo the polar gray. Faked up some white tape to see striping between colors but kinda decided I like it as it is...black against Madrid red.

Hi, Shug.
I can't add anything to the above comments, but I assure you I am equally impressed. I was pretty proud of my Osprey, though it was a comparative hack job to your artwork. Now it's in pieces, but will fly again. Looking forward to seeing in real life.
Rusty
If I had built the plane I would be thrilled. The painting is a time challenge and an act of patience, of which is not my strong suit!
But my plan down the road is to be one of those guys that builds just one plane in the flying season. Now I am trying to have a big fleet to just fly a lot knowing many will meet their end through my flying ineptitude.

Use the gold leaf method I describe in my videos you have come this far might as well go all the way. It's not that hard all you have to do is try.
You know.....I just may. Been mulling the lettering in my mind. My Dad was a Navy Chief Petty officer and may use a Chief graphic and gold lettering would look real good.
I may just. I'll hav'ta re-watch your gold leaf video to review. Looked tricky when I watched the video.
Thankee.
Shug

Whoooooo Buddy)))))))

Offline Shug Emery

• 2018 Supporter
  • Admiral
  • Whoooo Buddy))))
« Reply #22 on: March 08, 2015, 04:37:09 PM »
Hi Shug. For what it's worth, a tiny 1/8th inch gold pin stripe separating the red and black and red on the fuselage, might make it 'snap' just so.  D>K
As now I am toying with a go at gold leaf lettering (maybe)...I went with a try on the thin gold stripes. On the bottom. Will let it dry overnight as I had to do a couple of coats. Hoping for success!
Thankee Ty.

The wing is still Madrid Red...light makes it look shaded....

« Last Edit: March 08, 2015, 06:15:05 PM by Shug Emery »
Whoooooo Buddy)))))))

Offline Shug Emery

• 2018 Supporter
  • Admiral
  • Whoooo Buddy))))
« Reply #23 on: March 09, 2015, 06:20:35 PM »
Since my Dad got me into control line by buying me a Cox Stuka many years ago....thought I would make the Chief a Navy Chief Petty Officer plane in his honor.
Made up a logo and cut it out to place and think. Will be gold letters with black trim.
I musta got some influence from Spary's Minado as I did watch the whole build and finish. Pretty pleased. Painting the thin gold stripes between black and Madrid red. Did some on the bottom. They are so-so. Need a bit of touch up and practice before doing the top.
Also may add some landing gear fairings.
This is fun but way more effort than I thought it would be. And that is JUST the painting part.
Shug

Whoooooo Buddy)))))))

Offline Shug Emery

• 2018 Supporter
  • Admiral
  • Whoooo Buddy))))
« Reply #24 on: March 22, 2015, 08:01:47 PM »
Got the graphics on the Chief. A Navy scheme in honor of my Dad.
Aviaojet did the graphics for me. The gold looks mighty fine.
Now to start the clear coats.....
Shug

Whoooooo Buddy)))))))

Offline Don Jenkins

• 24 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #25 on: March 23, 2015, 06:41:09 AM »
Shug

I too appreciate the Navy heritage.  My Father is a retired Navy Warrant Officer who was also a Chief Petty Officer, and my wife and I are both retired Naval Officers (Limited Duty Officers) and we were both Chief Petty Officers before we got our commissions.  So needless to say, I really like the way you think, and I like your Chief.

Don

Offline Shug Emery

• 2018 Supporter
  • Admiral
  • Whoooo Buddy))))
« Reply #26 on: March 23, 2015, 07:47:07 AM »
Shug

I too appreciate the Navy heritage.  My Father is a retired Navy Warrant Officer who was also a Chief Petty Officer, and my wife and I are both retired Naval Officers (Limited Duty Officers) and we were both Chief Petty Officers before we got our commissions.  So needless to say, I really like the way you think, and I like your Chief.

Don

Thanks Don. My Dad was a Chief Perry Officer First Class. In the Navy 26 years. He loved being a Chief. We lived all over the world. I asked him once.."Dad, what do Chiefs do?" He paused and answered "Chief stuff".
Shug
Whoooooo Buddy)))))))

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #27 on: March 23, 2015, 02:34:38 PM »
Yea, my dad was a Warrant. Fun guys.
Member in good standing of P.I.S.T
(Politically Incorrect Stunt Team)
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline CosmicWind

• New Pilot
    • Minneapolis Piston Poppers
« Reply #28 on: April 29, 2015, 09:02:15 AM »
Looks great in the hanger and in the air! Very nice.
Feel the pull!

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here