News:

• March 28, 2024, 08:14:12 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: 1971-1972 Fox .29 and .36 engines for Stunt?  (Read 1325 times)

Offline frank mccune

• AMA Member
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
1971-1972 Fox .29 and .36 engines for Stunt?
« on: February 28, 2015, 09:18:50 AM »
     Hi All:

Has anybody used one of these engines for Stunt?

These are the engines that our own Howard Rush endorsed in the famous Talley Ho ad of the period.

I used the .36 in Slow Combat when the rules required a plain bearing engine and found that it was as fast as any engine in that event.

I put a .36 in a Nobler and it had plenty of power! As a matter of fact, it had more power than the Fox .40 Stunt of the same era.

I have been told that if an additional head gasket is added, the engine will 4-2-4 very well.  I ran mine on FAI fuel and it ran fine but nitromethane really turned it on!

What is the story on the .29? I do not recall ever seeing them advertised or listed in the Fox catalogue.  The .36 also was available in a throttle model for Carrier but I think the rules for that event was also changed to permit BB engines.  No wonder Duke was upset at the AMA!

Tia,

Frank McCune

Offline Brett Buck

• Admiral
Re: 1971-1972 Fox .29 and .36 engines for Stunt?
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2015, 11:28:44 AM »
      What is the story on the .29? I do not recall ever seeing them advertised or listed in the Fox catalogue.  The .36 also was available in a throttle model for Carrier but I think the rules for that event was also changed to permit BB engines.  No wonder Duke was upset at the AMA!

I think Duke had other problems about that time.

The 29 was definitely advertised, and I knew several people who had them in the era. It was a decent performer at the time, slightly more powerful than a OS-25S and less than a OS-35S, nothing to write home about but satisfactory. They had the same issues of the other Fox engines at the time, sometimes requiring a cleanout and frequently required lapping the piston followed be very extensive break-in to get it safe to fly with.

Brett

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2015, 09:58:46 PM »
   I think Duke had other problems about that time.

Yes, he did!

The 29 was definitely advertised, and I knew several people who had them in the era. It was a decent performer at the time, slightly more powerful than a OS-25S and less than a OS-35S, nothing to write home about but satisfactory. They had the same issues of the other Fox engines at the time, sometimes requiring a cleanout and frequently required lapping the piston followed be very extensive break-in to get it safe to fly with.

Brett

What kind of props were used and what kind of run style?

Thanks, Brett!
Bill
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Offline Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2015, 11:41:00 AM »

Yes, he did!

We have all heard the jokes ("yada yada yada..aluminum shavings...") and we all laughed, but when you think about it, it's an awful thing.

What kind of props were used and what kind of run style?

I think the 29 used a Top Flite 9-6 on my Uncle Donnie's airplanes. Decent output but pretty much right in the ballpark with most other similar engines of the 4-2 break era. Stronger than a OS30s and a McCoy 29 plain-bearing (Red-head or Series 21), about the same as a McCoy 29RR (which is weaker than you think), less strong than a STG21/29 (which we wouldn't have had since it was far too expensive). No match for a St X29. No match for a "new" 25LA, or probably the old one either.

Bear in mind that neither of us had much idea what we were doing at the time, compared to the experts of the time (which we definitely WERE NOT). I might still have one in my giant engine tub, but I don't imagine I will be spending much time digging around in there to find it.

Brett

Offline RandySmith

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
    • Aero Products
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2015, 12:47:53 PM »
     Hi All:

Has anybody used one of these engines for Stunt?

These are the engines that our own Howard Rush endorsed in the famous Talley Ho ad of the period.

I used the .36 in Slow Combat when the rules required a plain bearing engine and found that it was as fast as any engine in that event.

I put a .36 in a Nobler and it had plenty of power! As a matter of fact, it had more power than the Fox .40 Stunt of the same era.

I have been told that if an additional head gasket is added, the engine will 4-2-4 very well.  I ran mine on FAI fuel and it ran fine but nitromethane really turned it on!

Tia,

Frank McCune

I used both of them, but mainly the 36, Noblers ,Big profiles , self design stuntships and a Shark 35, they were powerful as compared to the 35 and OS 35, ran either 4/2 or a nice wet 2

Randy

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here