News:

• April 25, 2024, 04:58:52 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Not the average Warbird flick...  (Read 1354 times)

Online peabody

• 23 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Not the average Warbird flick...
« on: February 27, 2015, 07:30:13 AM »
Way Cool!

Offline Larry Borden

• 24 supporter
  • Commander
Re: Not the average Warbird flick...
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2015, 08:18:27 AM »
Awesome video, Rich. Especially the ending. Thanks for posting it.
I was in Oshkosh in 1973 for the Nats and it was the week after the EAA big show.

Offline Gene O'Keefe

• 2014 Supporters
  • Captain
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2015, 08:20:51 AM »
Ditto -- way Cool !!!!
Gene O'Keefe
AMA 28386

Offline mike londke

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2015, 08:45:30 AM »
I had the pleasure of a 1 hour flight in Jack Roush's P-51 "Old Crow". He used to fly in to a small airport west of Detroit where I was a skydiving instructor. I got to know him over the course of the summer. One day he asked me if I wanted a ride. Of course I said yes. It was an amazing flight. Full aerobatic ride and strafing run down one of the lakes 50ft off the deck. He finished it with a Victory roll down the runway. I offered to take him on a skydive after but he declined. I feel very fortunate to have been given that opportunity. I will never forget it.
AMA 48913  USPA D-19580  NRA Life Member  MI State Record Holder 50 way Freefall Formation Skydive  "Don't let the planet sneak up on you"

Offline Bill Calandrella

• Ensign
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2015, 11:04:38 AM »
What a moving tribute to the planes we call Warbirds and to the men that that flew them.  They fought for our freedom!  Many died for their country so that we did not have to face the tyranny of those times.  This video is about patriotism, something that is scares in this country today.  I would love to visit the museum as I am sure that it would stir up many emotions.  You could see on the faces of the gentlemen that once flew those beautiful planes the pride they have for serving our country.  We owe them a great debt of gratitude, as well as all other men and women who proudly served this country and those in uniform today.

Thank you, Rich, for posting this today.  I believe it is one of the best post on this site!

Bill

Offline Ward Van Duzer

• Admiral
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2015, 02:02:20 PM »
Just that few seconds of the 86 gave me such a ................

W.
I hate spelling errors, you mess up 2 letters and you are urined!

Don't hesitate to ask dumb questions.
They are easier to handle than dumb mistakes!  Ward-O AMA 6022

Online Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2015, 06:23:10 PM »
  They haven't been flying the big gaggles of warbirds during the week for the past few years like they have in the past, not since the government started charging them for all the "help" they get with ATC. A half million dollars is the amount that I heard used each year. That takes a big bight out of their operating budget, and no money left for fuel for the old iron and the numbers of warbirds attending has been falling. I have been going to Oshkosh for the last 15 years and have seen the change in the last four or five years. If anyone has been wanting to go and been putting it off for what ever reason, I wouldn't keep putting it off. You never know when the end may come, especially with so few of the legands left living. Get there any way you can, while you can, before it's too late.
   Type at you later,
    Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824
AMA 480405 (American Motorcyclist Association)

Offline wwwarbird

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2015, 11:23:05 PM »
 They haven't been flying the big gaggles of warbirds during the week for the past few years like they have in the past, not since the government started charging them for all the "help" they get with ATC. A half million dollars is the amount that I heard used each year. That takes a big bight out of their operating budget, and no money left for fuel for the old iron and the numbers of warbirds attending has been falling. I have been going to Oshkosh for the last 15 years and have seen the change in the last four or five years. If anyone has been wanting to go and been putting it off for what ever reason, I wouldn't keep putting it off. You never know when the end may come, especially with so few of the legands left living. Get there any way you can, while you can, before it's too late.
   Type at you later,
    Dan McEntee

Should be better for '15 though folks, the weeklong Warbird theme at OSH this year is to be focused on celebrating the 70th anniversary of V-E day, and the end of WWII.
 They are planning a significant presentation with various large formations during the Warbird portions of the airshow for both Saturday and Sunday. If it ends up being anything at all like what they did there in '95, I'll have tears in my eyes all over again. The Warbird shows on that Saturday and Sunday in '95 were something I will never forget, it was an incredible thing to witness. There were more WWII period aircraft in the sky during the Oshkosh Warbird show on that late Sunday afternoon than there had been at any single time since the end of WWII. As I recall it was 180 plus aircraft all in choreographed formation flybys with minimal commentary, just watch, listen, respect, and appreciate. If you truly love Warbirds, along with the people who fought and gave all, and the history they each created, this weekend in 2015 is absolutely one not to be missed. (Also, if we are extremely fortunate, there will be a second B-29 Superfortress in the air at OSH in 2015, "Doc", currently in the final stages of restoration in Witchita, KS)

And yes, thank you for catching and posting the video Peabody, excellent stuff. y1
Narrowly averting disaster since 1964! 

Wayne Willey
Albert Lea, MN U.S.A. IC C/L Aircraft Modeler, Ex AMA member

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here