News:

• April 25, 2024, 02:37:47 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Control Line Clubs in Florida  (Read 6668 times)

Offline Vincent Judd

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Commander
Control Line Clubs in Florida
« on: February 25, 2015, 05:57:26 PM »
As it stands now, the plan is to relocate to somewhere in Florida in approximately two years or so.  I know that there are control line clubs in Florida, it would be nice to know exactly where they are as I'd like to end up with a place to fly.   Does anyone publish any type of a directory of C/L clubs and their locations?

Thanks.

Offline Rollin Keszler

• New Pilot
Re: Control Line Clubs in Florida
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2015, 07:06:51 PM »
I wish I could relocate to Florida...... :-[

Offline bob whitney

• Admiral
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2015, 07:34:28 PM »
 email me at f2cracer ( at ) aol.com i can give u some FLA info
rad racer

James_Mynes

« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2015, 09:36:17 AM »
Don't listen to Bob, he'll have you moving too far south.
Come to Mount Dora....

Offline Ward Van Duzer

• Admiral
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2015, 09:36:58 AM »
Moved To Florida 10 - 12 years ago. Never looked back! Best advice I had was to move to the west coast, South of Tampa Bay. Much north of that area is more Georgia like. Joined the Tampa Bay Line Flyers who eventually wound up being absorbed by the Manatee Countee Radio Controllers. Now one big Model Airplane Club. Club house with A/C & indoor plumbimg, snack kitchen, sun shelters, Charging stations, Etc. MapQuest 7315 71st Ave. East, Palmetto, Fl., 34222.

Ward

I hate spelling errors, you mess up 2 letters and you are urined!

Don't hesitate to ask dumb questions.
They are easier to handle than dumb mistakes!  Ward-O AMA 6022

Offline Gene Martine

• 2019 supporter
  • Commander
  • Started flying 1952 (AMA 2903)
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2015, 10:06:50 AM »
 y1 y1 y1 y1
Florida Racing & Sports Flyers in Jacksonville, we use an 8000 ft. runway on weekends. Been here since 1970.
Gene
 #^ #^ #^

Offline John Craig

• Commander
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2015, 05:17:00 PM »
I was in the Navy for a while.  When I got a new duty station, I always contacted the AMA for clubs in the area.  They were always very helpful.
They should be able to give you a list of every C/L club in FL.

Florida Racing & Sport Fliers:  That is a weird bunch!

Offline Jim Carter

• Admiral
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2015, 05:28:41 PM »
 LL~  Don't listen to Jim Mynes, he'll have you move too far from the water!!  Come to Titusvillle where we fly then laugh .... Considering the way we fly!! 😄

Offline Frank Imbriaco

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
  • At the 69 Willow Grove NATS with J.D. FALCON II
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2015, 06:24:18 PM »
We are vacationing in Homassa  this week and then headed for Treasure Island near St. Pete. Liking the weather as is at least 50 degrees warmer than NJ. Working real hard on the wife as I hate NJ winters. Wind is breezy, but would not prevent me from R/C  or Ukie.

Offline Vincent Judd

• Commander
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2017, 10:20:36 AM »
If things go as planned, we will be moving to The Villages, which is located NW of Orlando sometime this fall.  It all hinges on how quickly we can sell our current house, which is going on the market in June.

Anyone flying C/L in this general area that I can join up with?  Are there any C/L clubs?

Does anyone know where I could find a list of C/L contests in the area?  I'm familiar with the King Orange, are there others?

I'm also looking for a good local R/C club as I dabble in that as well.

So looking forward to retirement.  Golfing, shooting and playing with toy airplanes.  Doesn't get any better.  So many hobbies, so little time.

Thanks 

Offline Garf

• Admiral
    • Hangar Flying
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2017, 02:58:57 PM »
LL~  Don't listen to Jim Mynes, he'll have you move too far from the water!!  Come to Titusvillle where we fly then laugh .... Considering the way we fly!! 😄
If you move too close to the water, you need to worry about storm surge during hurricanes. This is coming from a lifelong Miami resident.

Offline EddyR

• Admiral
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2017, 07:17:09 PM »
Vince be aware of the traffic. I lived in Florida for 30 years and one of the reasons I moved moved was because of the heavy traffic congestion. The Villages has been the highest growth city in the US for several years. That area is mostly two lane roads and a few divided but not interstate. It is close to Ocala and pretty much in the center of the state. I remember when all it was a mobil park but that is all gone now. For a northern boy it is going to be very hot. I have lived in NY 32 years,Florida 30  years, and now NC 14 years. Keep your options open.
Ed
Locust NC 40 miles from the Huntersville field

Offline Norm Faith Jr.

• 23 supporter
  • Captain
  • The physics of flight releases the soul.
« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2017, 09:23:21 PM »
Ft. Walton Beach...Eglin Aero-modelers...I was a member of that club from 1970-80. I flew a little bit of everything there. R/C, C/L and even a little F/F.
Norm
Circlepilot   AMA9376

Offline Ara Dedekian

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
  • Ara Dedekian
« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2017, 11:38:07 PM »
Don't listen to Bob, he'll have you moving too far south.
Come to Mount Dora....

Jim

I'll be in Eustice for about 5 days in April. The plan is to get to the Fantasy of Flight Museum and then to the Sun n' Fun airshow. Google map says you're 7 miles away? May have some time to visit your field if there's any activity.

Ara

Offline Vincent Judd

• Commander
« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2017, 05:12:12 AM »
If you move too close to the water, you need to worry about storm surge during hurricanes. This is coming from a lifelong Miami resident.

Garf,

You almost got me on this one, but I checked Google Maps,  there's not much ocean near central Florida.  Maybe a couple of small lakes, nothing else.  Looks like the Atlantic is about 1 1/2 hours in one direction and the Gulf about 1 1/2 hours in the opposite direction.  Don't see storm surge as a big concern, but thanks for the heads up.

Offline Vincent Judd

• Commander
« Reply #15 on: February 23, 2017, 05:15:32 AM »
Ft. Walton Beach...Eglin Aero-modelers...I was a member of that club from 1970-80. I flew a little bit of everything there. R/C, C/L and even a little F/F.
Norm

Thanks Norm but Ft. Walton Beach is about a 5 1/2 hour drive from where I'll be living.  That would be a tough drive for a couple of hours of flying.

Offline Vincent Judd

• Commander
« Reply #16 on: February 23, 2017, 05:32:04 AM »
Vince be aware of the traffic. I lived in Florida for 30 years and one of the reasons I moved moved was because of the heavy traffic congestion. The Villages has been the highest growth city in the US for several years. That area is mostly two lane roads and a few divided but not interstate. It is close to Ocala and pretty much in the center of the state. I remember when all it was a mobil park but that is all gone now. For a northern boy it is going to be very hot. I have lived in NY 32 years,Florida 30  years, and now NC 14 years. Keep your options open.
Ed

Ed, I really appreciate your heads up, but I'm not really concerned.  We have several couples that we are friends with that live in the Villages.  We've visited there probably 10 times over the last few years and really love it.  It's an adult playland with everything that we love to do.  I'm an avid golfer, there are a million golf courses in the Villages and they're free.  (The 9 hole courses are free, the 18 hole courses do have a fee to play).  I love to shoot, there is a trap/skeet club at the Villages and several private ranges nearby where I can shoot all of my stuff.  They fly small electric R/C planes at the Villages Polo Club in the mornings.  I'll have to find a place to fly C/L and my large R/C airplanes, that's why I was looking for clubs in the area.  The Villages has 1,200 various clubs, with every activity you could think of, if you can't find someone with similar hobbies, you can start your own club and have people join you.  My wife has already lined up a bunch of clubs that she wants to check out.

The traffic is not a concern.  The Villages was designed to be a golf cart community.  You can go grocery shopping in your golf cart.  You can put your golf clubs in your golf cart in your garage and drive to the golf course.  I've lived in the NE most of my life and traffic is miserable around here as well.  Heat, no problem.  I'll be flying/golfing/shooting in the mornings and hanging at the pool with a cold one in the afternoons.  We love NC/SC, have visited Myrtle Beach and Hilton Head many, many times, but I want to put the cold winters in my rear view mirror, so it's Florida for me.

Thank you, I appreciate your thoughts. 

Offline Roger Vizioli

• CLiner
  • 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #17 on: February 23, 2017, 07:41:59 AM »
I believe "On top of the World" retirement community , in Ocala area, has a large RC flying field.
Have not been there but looks nice on their web site.
Roger V.
Space Coast
Roger Vizioli
AMA L-2408
Florida/Space Coast

Offline peabody

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #18 on: February 23, 2017, 07:55:28 AM »
You're about a two hour drive from the best full time control line flying site in the State...
The Manatee County Radio Controllers have a new 120' X 10' concrete takeoff/landing pad and new center circle.
The site features electricity at the circle, a club house with flush toilets and running water, a "pilot's den" that is also a concession area on event or meeting days, RV parking with hook-ups, and a nice shed area at the circle.
Such notables as Jerry Austin are members and fly frequently.

www.manateerc.com

Have fun!

Offline Vincent Judd

• Commander
« Reply #19 on: February 23, 2017, 08:54:54 AM »
Thanks Peabody, I will definitely take a ride and check out this club.  I was hoping for something a little closer, no one flys C/L in the Orlando area?

Offline George Mitchell

• Ensign
« Reply #20 on: February 23, 2017, 10:06:33 AM »
Vince, I heard somewhere at the Villages
they have a polo field, and they fly electric
there when not in use?
George

Offline Frank Imbriaco

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
  • At the 69 Willow Grove NATS with J.D. FALCON II
« Reply #21 on: February 23, 2017, 02:49:45 PM »
Just visited the Sundance R/C flying field in the St Lucie County area. Enormous facility with a boat/seaplane pond, two car tracks, and a runway from here to the moon  with easy,  tree-less approaches from either side. One of the members said there is discussion about adding a control line circle. There is room galore,  charge stations, a huge lean two for shade and flat , short cropped grass.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2017, 07:04:33 PM by Frank Imbriaco »

Offline Larrys4227

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #22 on: February 23, 2017, 02:55:50 PM »
.... no one flys C/L in the Orlando area?

A couple of years ago, there was a very loose group of guys flying C/L at the old air base in Orlando. Robert, Jim Mitchell and Joe Hamorski come to mind.  Saturday mornings only, and spotty at best.  No idea if they still fly or not.

I'm at the MCRC circle with Peabody, EricV, the Smith Brothers and a whole bunch of others.  I drive alittle over an hour to get there, which was a concern for me when I first joined a couple years ago, but everyone is good peoples and I enjoy their compnay every week .... You'll be hard pressed to find a better C/L facility anywhere in Florida

Offline EddyR

• Admiral
« Reply #23 on: February 24, 2017, 12:16:59 PM »
Vince.  Sounds good to me Z@@ZZZ
Ed
« Last Edit: February 26, 2017, 05:57:52 AM by EddyR »
Locust NC 40 miles from the Huntersville field

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here