News:

• April 19, 2024, 10:26:14 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Winter Project Ready for Covering  (Read 2350 times)

Offline Don Jenkins

• 24 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Commander
Winter Project Ready for Covering
« on: February 25, 2015, 06:16:02 AM »
I just finished the construction of my latest plane and after a bit more sanding I will start applying dope.  Fully assembled with no tip weight it came out at 41 ounces, not too bad for 575 square inches, and I should be able to keep the finish right at 10 ounces.  I used "Super Fill" for the first time around the canopy and on the nose ring and it came out pretty good.  I intend to cover it with medium silkspan and use Brodak dope for color, but I am still undecided on the clear, either automotive or Brodak Crystal clear.  Anyway, no flying for awhile with snow on the ground and more coming tonight, which is rather uncommon for South Carolina, so I will keep working on this project for the next few weeks.

Don

Offline Curare

• 2014 Supporters
  • Captain
Re: Winter Project Ready for Covering
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2015, 09:54:19 PM »
Lookin' pretty!
Greg Kowalski
AUS 36694

Offline Russ Main

• 2016 supporter
  • Ensign
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2015, 10:30:20 AM »
Hi Don,

The plane looks really sweet. I too like the Super Fill, it's easy to work with and I usually get good results. On the covering, have you tried or considered poly span? I have covered 3 planes so far with it and I really like it now that I have learned how to apply it. I am not sure if I save any weight but it feels super strong and it finishes great, especially with the paint scheme you are working on. Also is that a C5 you are using as a work bench (under the cover)?

Russ

Offline Don Jenkins

• 24 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2015, 07:08:02 AM »
Hi Don,

The plane looks really sweet. I too like the Super Fill, it's easy to work with and I usually get good results. On the covering, have you tried or considered poly span? I have covered 3 planes so far with it and I really like it now that I have learned how to apply it. I am not sure if I save any weight but it feels super strong and it finishes great, especially with the paint scheme you are working on. Also is that a C5 you are using as a work bench (under the cover)?

Russ

Thanks Russ, you are really good at vehicle identification, its a 2001 ZO6.  It makes a great work bench, the deck lid is just the right height.  I will probably try poly span in the near future since I only hear good things about it, but I just finished covering this one with silk span.  I'm using the DC540 primer again on this plane and I really like it.  Hopefully I'll get some dryer weather in a week or so and I'll be ready to spray some color.

Don

Offline ray copeland

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2015, 01:23:18 PM »
Nice Don!! Good luck on your paint job.
Ray from Greensboro, North Carolina , six laps inverted so far with my hand held vertically!!! (forgot to mention, none level!) AMA# 902150

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here