News:

• April 18, 2024, 01:08:10 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Flying Models Good News  (Read 3575 times)

Offline Lyle Spiegel

• 24 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
Flying Models Good News
« on: February 23, 2015, 11:42:58 AM »
Good news! FLYING MODELS will live again. This weekend I went to WRAM show in NJ. Spoke to Mr. Thayer Syme, Publisher of Flying Aces Press. He  is in process of completing ownership transfer from Carstens and plans to resume publication soon. Intention is to make good on existing subscribers who will get remaining issues. Will also offer new subscriptions. Web site is www.flying-models.com but that is the old Web site . You can watch for announcement from the new owner but not yet taking new subscriptions or accepting orders for plans. Plans will also be available soon. He also intends to complete the catalog which compiles all the control line plans that will be available.
Lyle Spiegel AMA 19775

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
Re: Flying Models Good News
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2015, 12:13:09 PM »
Hi Lyle,

I think this is great news!  I hope he keeps it much as it was.  It was the best "Model Aircraft Magazine" out there.  All disciplines, construction articles, covering the spectrum.

I hope it is soon!

BIG Bear
RNMM/AMM
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Offline Gerald Arana

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2015, 12:16:30 PM »
I'll second that!

Thanks for the info.

Jerry

Offline Bootlegger

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2015, 12:51:24 PM »

Wow, that is gooood news, I am really looking forward to that... y1 <=
8th Air Force Veteran
Gil Causey
AMA# 6964

Offline Randy Cuberly

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2015, 04:08:14 PM »
Good news! FLYING MODELS will live again. This weekend I went to WRAM show in NJ. Spoke to Mr. Thayer Syme, Publisher of Flying Aces Press. He  is in process of completing ownership transfer from Carstens and plans to resume publication soon. Intention is to make good on existing subscribers who will get remaining issues. Will also offer new subscriptions. Web site is www.flying-models.com but that is the old Web site . You can watch for announcement from the new owner but not yet taking new subscriptions or accepting orders for plans. Plans will also be available soon. He also intends to complete the catalog which compiles all the control line plans that will be available.

This does sound like good news on the surface.  However I would not expect it to remain the same as it was.  Let's face it guys, it was a good Mag for Control Line fliers and not too bad for Free flight also, but don't lose track of the facts.  It failed for several reasons but the major one was lack of subscriptions and advertising.  Unless changes are made and more R/C coverage is put in and all the crappy little electric copter thingees are there it will fail again.  I'm sure the new owner realizes this also.
I would expect the new owners to maintain the plans (which is a good thing) but I would also expect ARFS and R/C coverage to grow well beyond Control Line and Free Flight coverage or it won't last very long!  Advertising is what supports a magazine and Control Line and Free Flight doesn't create much advertising...simple math of business is who supports the ads gets the coverage.  That's even true in the Big Mags and Newspapers of today!  Money talks!

A lot of us keep hoping for a return to and era when Control Line and Free Flight were important modeling features to the general modeling public but that's not going to happen.

Sorry if I'm being negative, but those are the facts.

I am glad that the old Mag will survive.  However I can't believe it's going to be the "Old Magazine".

Stunt News survives only because of a few talented folks donating their time and energy to it.  A commercial publication cannot be the same way!

Model Aviation survives on advertising revenue and a very large membership that pays a lot of money for a mandatory subscription.  Look at the coverage there and ask yourself what it would look like if it gave large blocks of coverage to Control Line and Free Flight!

Publication costs have risen out of sight not to mention postage etc.,  I just don't see how it can ever be the same!

Randy Cuberly
« Last Edit: February 23, 2015, 09:33:40 PM by Randy Cuberly »
Randy Cuberly
Tucson, AZ

Offline RC Storick

• Forum owner
  • Administrator
  • Admiral
  • The finish starts with the first piece of wood cut
    • Stunt Hangar
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2015, 04:20:22 PM »
Good news! FLYING MODELS will live again. This weekend I went to WRAM show in NJ. Spoke to Mr. Thayer Syme, Publisher of Flying Aces Press. He  is in process of completing ownership transfer from Carstens and plans to resume publication soon. Intention is to make good on existing subscribers who will get remaining issues. Will also offer new subscriptions. Web site is www.flying-models.com but that is the old Web site . You can watch for announcement from the new owner but not yet taking new subscriptions or accepting orders for plans. Plans will also be available soon. He also intends to complete the catalog which compiles all the control line plans that will be available.

is this the same mag? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flying_Aces_%28magazine%29
AMA 12366

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2015, 04:20:36 PM »
>>A lot of us keep hoping for a return to and era when Control Line and Free Flight were important modeling features to the general modeling public but that's not going to happen.<<

Oh I agree.  But I see a time when the back lash of electrical stuff (video games, phones ,etc) comes and kids will look for something real. No time soon, but eventually.
Member in good standing of P.I.S.T
(Politically Incorrect Stunt Team)
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline JoeJust

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2015, 05:08:03 PM »
I too hope that FM can be saved, but we will see.  I have been taking the English mag, Aeromodler and am amazed of the content with the few advertisers involved.  MA on the other hand is getting ridiculous!  Out of 115 pages in the last edition there are 56 pages of ads.  Half the magazine is a catalog.  With the cost of working with the FAA (nearly 1,000,000 so far) it is lucky the advertisers are paying a big chunk of that cost. Stunt News, Control Line World, Aeromodler, and now perhaps FM will help keep our interests alive.
Joe
"Hope springs eternal from the human breast"
I only enter contests so somebody else is not always in last place

Offline Mike Keville

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2015, 05:13:58 PM »
Here's hoping it doesn't become another Hobby King and quadcopter catalog - - but I'm not holding my breath.
FORMER member, "Academy of Multi-rotors & ARFs".

Offline Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2015, 06:07:16 PM »
is this the same mag? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flying_Aces_%28magazine%29

Hi Sparky;
    Yes, that was the forerunner to Flying Models. It was Flying Aces going back into the late 1920s and was just a "pulp fiction" type magazine back then with serial type stories and illustrations. Then they added features on then current aircraft and model activities. Models faded out of the mag in the late war years, then was evolved into Air World, (or it may have been an off shoot) and then became "Flying Models with Flying Aces in June 1947. The volume numbers and whole numbers continued throughout the several change overs through the years. It was in the late 50's or early 60's that Carstens bought the magazine and produced it until the May issue of last year. I have to really sit down and double check my collection, but I think I have the magazine complete from the mid 30's up until last May, 2014. The Dave Thornburg book, "Do You Speak Model Airplane" has most of the details. I haven't read it it a while and need to freshen up on it.
  I'll add my voice to those glad to see it back. If I am remembering the name Thayer Syme correctly, I think he is an old school type modeler, and hope he will tend to keep the popular features of the magazine. One factor I pointed out to the previous editors, there is a WEALTH of useful features in the previous history of the magazine that could be re-run. Stuff that is timeless, and waiting for a new audience. Looking forward to seeing my subscription completed and will certainly renew if I see what I expect.
  Type at you later,
   Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824
AMA 480405 (American Motorcyclist Association)

Offline Mike Keville

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2015, 06:19:44 PM »
Bring back "Fixit Wright" . . . . . and "Bunny".   y1
FORMER member, "Academy of Multi-rotors & ARFs".

Offline wwwarbird

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2015, 06:31:35 PM »

This is EXCELLENT news! Hopefully it all works out and they pickup with the same format and content. If they do that, they'll have my subscription. y1
Narrowly averting disaster since 1964! 

Wayne Willey
Albert Lea, MN U.S.A. IC C/L Aircraft Modeler, Ex AMA member

Offline Doug Moon

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2015, 09:11:38 PM »

Sorry if I'm being negative, but those are the facts.

You're not being negative.  You're being realistic.

My brother and I were talking about this a while back and he brought up a very good point I had not thought of.  

In the 60s, 70s when RC started to become a little more accessible to the average Joe it was still an "Art" so to speak.  You had to "know how" to get it to work when it came to RC.  That meant you needed some form of knowledge about it and some extra interest in your pursuit of success in flying RC.  Many guys built their own radios and were also into electronics as a hobby.  You had to have some of the VooDoo it took to make it all come together. The early on success rate was probably pretty darn low.

At that same time, 60s and 70s, everyone and I mean everyone who was flying IC powered model planes at the time knew how to get a control line plane or a free flight plane going.  It was a "given" skill that everyone had gained at some point in time.  I heard it said many times in the 90s when I was learning, "When are you going to move up to RC?"  Haha! Even in the 90s control line was still well known by many RCers.  I gave a demo once at an RC fun fly and many of them knew about it and made various comments, most if not all were positive. They knew about it and how it worked.  But after that demo, I went back to doing what I do and they kept on doing what they do.  That's just how it works.

Fast forward to today.  People are starting out with 5 and 6 channel radios on RC models they can fly in their front yards.  They can fly them at the park or school yard.  I know because I often fly my small heli and or my foamer at the school yard while my kids play on the play ground and I am not the only one out there either.  I know of a local RC club that meets a local high school and flys all day on Saturdays and Sundays.  The school gave permission as long as they dont use nitro.  Literally 20-40 models out there at any given time with at least 4 or more in the sky at any given time all having a great time and tons of fun and fellowship. The local LHS or HobbyTown puts people in easy to operate setups at a minimal cost that have a high success rate and the person either gets hooked and goes in deeper or hands it off to someone else.  (by the way my first attempts at CL were not even close to success.  Our objective was to get a complete flight.) What these new breed of model airplane fliers don't know about and most likely will never know about is a control line model or a free flight model.  And much more so how to get it going. Many will never see a nitro motor run, let alone try to start one. There isn't even the slightest clue CL/FF exists let alone how it works or the VooDoo needed to make it go.

The sad truth is what we "do" is a dying art.  I know people have been saying it for a long time but now it's actually true.  Simply because it is no longer known about. The HobbyTown near my house is an actual place where you can buy hobby stuff not just toys.  The staff is very knowledgeable and understands this stuff as a hobby and not just a point of sale.  But 95% are college aged kids with an interest in this stuff.  The manager started flying RC helicopters about 12 years ago and actually quit his job selling insurance or some such to work with customers and sell RC stuff at that HobbyTown.  He just flat our loves all things modeling.  He had not much knowledge of CL. While he is around age 50 he didn't start modeling until about 12 years ago. I started talking to him about CL and he came out to a contest of ours a few months later.  He was blown away by it to say the least.  He is a pretty good modeler and can fly RC stuff, of any kind,  extremely well.  But he had no clue about what we do and he pays his bills in the modeling world.  There is no doubt in my mind had he started modeling 25 years ago he would know all about CL, and probably be good at it.  But as of late it is not on the radar. At least when those guys in the 90s were asking me "when are you going to move up" they knew about CL and had most likely participated in what we do at some point.  The new generation does not know about what we do and their exposure is limited at best.  Joe Nall and Kid Venture give people great hands on exposure and we can only hope a few will stick with it from their experience.  But in real life after the Joe Nall is over and Kid Ventrure has passed almost all of them will go back to what they know.  Just like we do. That's not to say Kid Venture and Joe Nall should not offer what they do.  They most certainly should and we should all be grateful that they do what they do.

There is nothing or no one to blame.  It's just progress.  It totally SUCKS that we can only get people involved 1 or 2 at a time and usually that is a family member.  It sucks but it's the truth.  If anything we should thank the AMA for keeping CL and FF in MA.  The mag is full of advertisers because those advertisers know this stuff goes out to about 150K people.  Not a bad subscriber base if you ask me.  It only makes sense to advertise there.

I hope flying models does come back.  And if you see quad thingies and various FPV ads throughout don't be frustrated by them be happy and excited because that means the magazine sold some advertising and that is what keeps it going.  If those who fly those things are also reading these articles with interest maybe will help expose our form of modeling a little but further...
« Last Edit: February 23, 2015, 10:22:24 PM by Doug Moon »
Doug Moon
AMA 496454
Dougmoon12@yahoo.com

Offline Randy Cuberly

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2015, 09:50:07 PM »
Yeah, pretty much as I see it to Doug.

Even in the late 1970's after moving to a new place (Phoenix, AZ), I went into a local hobby shop and asked about Control Line fliers, and the Dodo behind the counter smirked and said,  "Control Line!, that's for kids, we fly RC here".  Well of course I did locate some great CL fliers there eventually, and even a hobby shop that still carried some CL stuff...but the handwriting was on the wall even then!

Randy Cuberly
Randy Cuberly
Tucson, AZ

Offline GGeezer

• Commander
    • Gizmogeezer Products
« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2015, 06:45:56 PM »
Dan and Mike might be on to something.
I'm also a vintage motorcycle nut and subscribe to a British magazine called "The Classic Motorcycle" which has a publishing history going back to the early 1900s. At least a quarter of the magazine is reprinted articles and test reports from over that period. I really enjoy those tid-bits of history.
Since the magazine owns the copyrights, they don't have to pay for content and thus save money.
I would welcome this strategy if FM adopted it... especially if they brought back Bunny!

Orv.

Offline Larry Renger

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #15 on: February 25, 2015, 09:37:27 AM »
I agree about Bunny, but she and Fixit were in a totally different magazine!  :(
Think S.M.A.L.L. y'all and, it's all good, CL, FF and RC!

DesignMan
 BTW, Dracula Sucks!  A closed mouth gathers no feet!

Offline Hoss Cain

• Captain
« Reply #16 on: February 25, 2015, 11:19:11 AM »
You're not being negative.  You're being realistic.

My brother and I were talking about this a while back and he brought up a very good point I had not thought of.  

In the 60s, 70s when RC started to become a little more accessible to the average Joe it was still an "Art" so to speak.  You had to "know how" to get it to work when it came to RC.  That meant you needed some form of knowledge about it and some extra interest in your pursuit of success in flying RC.  Many guys built their own radios and were also into electronics as a hobby.  You had to have some of the VooDoo it took to make it all come together. The early on success rate was probably pretty darn low.

BIG DELETE SIMPLY TO ADD SPACE" Article is there.

I hope flying models does come back.  And if you see quad thingies and various FPV ads throughout don't be frustrated by them be happy and excited because that means the magazine sold some advertising and that is what keeps it going.  If those who fly those things are also reading these articles with interest maybe will help expose our form of modeling a little but further...

Excellent straight-out post, Mr. Moon.  Thanks for bringing it to all of us.
Horrace Cain
AMA L-93 CD and Leader
New Caney, TX  (NE Houston area)

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #17 on: February 25, 2015, 11:24:33 AM »
Doug hit it. It's a case of exposure. Most guys that I know that got into CL flying recently, did it because they saw other guys flying and liked the fact the CL is much more intimate than RC. The planes are close, you can see flying up close and they liked the fact the you could feel the plane when you fly. It's that aspect that I think needs to be promoted.
Member in good standing of P.I.S.T
(Politically Incorrect Stunt Team)
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline GGeezer

• Commander
    • Gizmogeezer Products
« Reply #18 on: February 25, 2015, 05:45:27 PM »
I agree about Bunny, but she and Fixit were in a totally different magazine!  :(

We are talking Flying Models here Larry aren't we?

Offline George

• Admiral
  • Love people, Use things.
« Reply #19 on: February 25, 2015, 08:57:33 PM »
We are talking Flying Models here Larry aren't we?

Remember that the tips included in "Fixit Wright" were for the way we built models back in the fifties.

George
George Bain
AMA 23454

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here