News:

• April 25, 2024, 09:30:44 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Tweezers, HEHEHEHEHEH  (Read 3796 times)

Offline Randy Ryan

• AMA Member
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Randy Ryan <><
AMA 8500
SAM 36 BO all my own M's

Offline Steve_Pollock

• 2019 supporter
  • Commander
Re: Tweezers, HEHEHEHEHEH
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2015, 12:13:24 PM »
I'll bet the person who listed this item doesn't know of the work of Cal Smith, William Wylam, Joe DeMarco, Paul Palanek or Paul Del Gatto -- and thinks a drafting table is where NFL GMs and player agents meet.

Offline howard shenton

• AMA Member
  • Commander
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2015, 12:18:24 PM »
Us older draftsmen know this item as a ink pen.
Ink was loaded into the open area and the screw adjusted the size of the line.
I have several of these drafting sets from when I made my living drawing mechanical test equipment and construction piping drawings.
Would work for holding items but points are VERY sharp and could damage soft balsa

Howard Shenton
Howard Shenton AMA 83412
Mauldin, SC 29662

Offline Gerald Arana

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2015, 12:21:27 PM »
Oh balls........... I'm a little late to the party. I knew immediately what it was, 'cause I used to use one! They also have/had a double one for drawing (inking)  RR tracks.  %^@

Cheers, Jerry

Offline Randy Ryan

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2015, 12:21:52 PM »
Us older draftsmen know this item as a ink pen.
Ink was loaded into the open area and the screw adjusted the size of the line.
I have several of these drafting sets from when I made my living drawing mechanical test equipment and construction piping drawings.
Would work for holding items but points are VERY sharp and could damage soft balsa

Howard Shenton

I still have mine, hence the HEHEHEHEHE
Randy Ryan <><
AMA 8500
SAM 36 BO all my own M's

Offline Jim Carter

• Admiral
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2015, 01:09:29 PM »
 LL~  Shouldn't someone tell the poor chap or just let'em "wander in the wilderness"  ???  I still have my whole set!  It would be interesting to see what he kind of doctor he'd say owned this!! 

Offline pat king

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • PDK LLC
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2015, 01:14:55 PM »
I too have my 60 year old complete set. I want to know how you use the "tweezers" that go in a circle?  LL~
I guess some people have never been exposed to old technical disciplines.

Pat
Pat King
Monee, IL

AMA 168941

Offline Larry Borden

• 24 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2015, 01:24:46 PM »
I remember using those to make ink drawings in mechanical drafting class in jr high school.

Offline rustler

• Captain
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2015, 01:48:34 PM »
I still have my complete set "old English" style. 21st. birthday prezzie from my parents. I used to sharpen the pen myself when it wore down too blunt. Guess it's a lost art now.
I used them when drawing the plan for Stevie Smith's W/C's winning T/R flying wing, the model which started the Wing fashion in F.A.I. T/R.
Really makes the nostalgia kick in, - 54 years ago.
Ian Russell.
[I can remember the schedule o.k., the problem is remembering what was the last manoeuvre I just flew!].

Offline pipemakermike

• 2014 Supporters
  • Commander
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2015, 03:48:43 PM »
I told him
Regards
Mike Nelson

Offline Randy Cuberly

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2015, 04:46:54 PM »
I'm vindicated once again in my belief that there is no limit to how self indulged ignorant some folks can get.

I guess it never occurred to him to ask someone what the H. it was!

Just for grins I handed one of mine to my 6 year old next door neighbor, and he looked at it a little puzzled and then said it looks sorta like a ink pen!   Obviously our guy under discussion is not as bright as a 6 year old.

LL~ LL~ LL~ LL~ LL~ LL~ LL~ LL~ LL~ LL~ LL~ LL~ LL~ LL~

Randy Cuberly
Randy Cuberly
Tucson, AZ

Online Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2015, 06:12:36 PM »
  I have a set bought from a gent getting ready to retire, also a 4' by 6' drafting table complete with the hi-zoot parallel attachment for it instead of the normal drafting arm. Lots of other drafting stuff also, and used to use it a lot just using what I learned in high school shop classes. I find it relaxing and a lot of fun. Hope to get that kind of free time back soon! Then will draw more planes AND build more!
  Type at you later,
   Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824
AMA 480405 (American Motorcyclist Association)

Offline Jim Svitko

• Captain
« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2015, 06:46:15 PM »
All of those drafting tools are from what is known as the "BC" years--Before CATIA (or, Before Computers).

On a somewhat different topic, I once took a course on how to use a slide rule.  Those things are another BC item.  How many people much younger than those of us here even know what a slide rule is?  Shortly after that course, the hand calculators appeared and slide rules vanished.

One of my co-workers had a slide rule on a shelf at his desk.  Maybe to show the younger engineers that such a thing did exist.  There was a note attached to it that read:  "In case of power failure, use this."

Offline Roger Vizioli

• CLiner
  • 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2015, 07:23:16 PM »
All of those drafting tools are from what is known as the "BC" years--Before CATIA (or, Before Computers).

On a somewhat different topic, I once took a course on how to use a slide rule.  Those things are another BC item.  How many people much younger than those of us here even know what a slide rule is?  Shortly after that course, the hand calculators appeared and slide rules vanished.

One of my co-workers had a slide rule on a shelf at his desk.  Maybe to show the younger engineers that such a thing did exist.  There was a note attached to it that read:  "In case of power failure, use this."

Jim,
re Slide Rules
   In the mid 90's, I placed a round slide rule (~5"dia) on the bookcase in my office. Very few knew what it was.
Many were too embarrassed to ask what it was, but they often glanced at it.
It was a handout from a conference I attended in the early 60's. Still have it packed away someplace.
And yes - I knew how to use it!   y1
Take care,
Roger V
Roger Vizioli
AMA L-2408
Florida/Space Coast

Offline Phil Bare

• Captain
« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2015, 08:22:11 PM »
The advent of AutoCAD and HP calculators ended my use of the slide rule and drafting table.

Phil

Offline pat king

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • PDK LLC
« Reply #15 on: February 23, 2015, 09:19:45 PM »
I still have my Post Versalog Bamboo "stick". For several years after I started using a calculator I carried it when I traveled because the batteries don't die.  y1
Pat

Pat King
Monee, IL

AMA 168941

Offline Randy Cuberly

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #16 on: February 23, 2015, 09:31:54 PM »
I still have several slide rules.  I have one 12" diameter round rule that I still use occassionally just for grins.  Mostly just to show myself that we could do most things without computers.  Certainly not as fast but still got the necessary answers.

Randy Cuberly
Randy Cuberly
Tucson, AZ

Offline Larry Renger

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #17 on: February 23, 2015, 09:38:50 PM »
Heck, I even have a Curta calculator, slide rule, abacus and vernier caliper stored in my safe! Power out? No problem! Armageddon? Bring it on, I'll calculate anyway!     >:D

Oh, yes my CRC manual, Handbook of Physycs and Cemistry and a wide variety of other remnants of my pre- toy career. 40 years designing toys and hobby stuff was MUCH more rewarding than the eight in the Aero/space industry! Sorry Brett and Howard, wouldn't trade for anything!

And yes, I have full set of manual drafting stuff tucked away including the full set of Rapidograph pens, ultrasonic pen cleaner, ships curves, and circle and ellipse templates. Also a parallel arm drafting board and variable angle triangle. Drafting pencils with a variety of leads, sharprner. Even a power eraser in good functioning order.

Wish I had kept my Ollivetti compact typewriter. It did yeoman duty for me in college!

All that junk will confuse the heck out of my kids when they have to deal with it!  VD~

Sad to say, I am so rusty, I had to look up a basic bit of algebra today! Oh the shame!!
« Last Edit: February 24, 2015, 08:18:16 AM by Larry Renger »
Think S.M.A.L.L. y'all and, it's all good, CL, FF and RC!

DesignMan
 BTW, Dracula Sucks!  A closed mouth gathers no feet!

Offline Randy Ryan

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #18 on: February 24, 2015, 05:18:31 AM »
OK In all fairness to the guy, he does say he really doesn't know what it is down in the description. I didn't mean for this to be a rip, it just stuck me funny.
Randy Ryan <><
AMA 8500
SAM 36 BO all my own M's

Offline Scott Richlen

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #19 on: February 24, 2015, 05:54:39 AM »
No bids so far.  Probably because "tweezers" wasn't very descriptive.  He should have listed it as an "eyebrow plucker"...

Offline Gerald Arana

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #20 on: February 24, 2015, 09:40:28 AM »
I still have my Post Versalog Bamboo "stick". For several years after I started using a calculator I carried it when I traveled because the batteries don't die.  y1
Pat

Not for me! %^@ I still have mine (drafting table with drafting arm [K&E]), and I use it for drawing...........What else? Airplanes of course! y1

I may be getting older, but I refuse to grow up! LL~ LL~ LL~ LL~

Jerry

Larry, You have a "Curta?" WOW, I used to use one of those too! We had two sizes on the survey crew but the larger one was the best. Not enough decimals on the smaller one.

PS: Don't know where my slip stick is but I'm sure if I looked for it I'd find it. ;D

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #21 on: February 24, 2015, 10:16:59 AM »
I think I've dipped my drafting pen into ink once and tried to make a line, just to see what it did.  The last time I used a drafting table to draw up a model airplane was 20 or 30 years ago.

Now that you can get decent CAD programs for free, that's what I use.
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline John Park

• Agricola
  • Captain
« Reply #22 on: February 24, 2015, 10:17:17 AM »
I used one of my ruling pens about eighteen months ago - to mark the edge of a painted L/E trim on the tissue-covered wing of a small free-flight model.  I loaded the pen with the same acrylic paint that I then brushed on up to the line: it took a light touch to keep from puncturing the tissue, but worked well.  Old technology still has its place!
You want to make 'em nice, else you get mad lookin' at 'em!

Offline Trostle

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #23 on: February 24, 2015, 10:57:05 AM »
Heck, I even have a Curta calculator, slide rule, abacus and vernier caliper stored in my safe! Power out? No problem! Armageddon? Bring it on, I'll calculate anyway!     >:D

Oh, yes my CRC manual, Handbook of Physycs and Cemistry and a wide variety of other remnants of my pre- toy career. 40 years designing toys and hobby stuff was MUCH more rewarding than the eight in the Aero/space industry! Sorry Brett and Howard, wouldn't trade for anything!

And yes, I have full set of manual drafting stuff tucked away including the full set of Rapidograph pens, ultrasonic pen cleaner, ships curves, and circle and ellipse templates. Also a parallel arm drafting board and variable angle triangle. Drafting pencils with a variety of leads, sharprner. Even a power eraser in good functioning order.

Wish I had kept my Ollivetti compact typewriter. It did yeoman duty for me in college!

All that junk will confuse the heck out of my kids when they have to deal with it!  VD~

Sad to say, I am so rusty, I had to look up a basic bit of algebra today! Oh the shame!!
Larry,

Neat stuff.

If and when we move, I am going to have a room big enoough for a drafting table.  I have a drafting machine for it.  And still have and use my drafting tools and curves.   (Havn't forced myself into the CAD stuff.)  Also, I still have the book of mathmatical tables (like with log tables, trig functions and random numabers).  Also, still have the Handbook of Laplace Transformation, but have completely lost how to use it.

Keith

Offline Randy Ryan

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #24 on: February 24, 2015, 11:18:47 AM »
Larry,

Neat stuff.

If and when we move, I am going to have a room big enoough for a drafting table.  I have a drafting machine for it.  And still have and use my drafting tools and curves.   (Havn't forced myself into the CAD stuff.)  Also, I still have the book of mathmatical tables (like with log tables, trig functions and random numabers).  Also, still have the Handbook of Laplace Transformation, but have completely lost how to use it.

Keith

Same boat Keith, no room. I use CAD a lot, but there's something really satisfying about sitting down at the board and drawings.
Randy Ryan <><
AMA 8500
SAM 36 BO all my own M's

Offline GGeezer

• Commander
    • Gizmogeezer Products
« Reply #25 on: March 02, 2015, 06:01:04 PM »
I do all the lines on my models using a ruling pen. The line width is infinitely adjustable and these pens will dispense almost any liquid... ink, paint etc. A very good easy to clean tool. I use enamel or acrylic paint for lines on doped surfaces. If I mess up, I simply wipe off the mistake with the appropriate solvent (mineral spirits or water) and do it again.

Orv.

Offline Mark Mc

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #26 on: March 02, 2015, 07:02:47 PM »
When I was a kid back in '72, we visited the Smithsonian Museum.  I remember being incredibly impressed when I saw a Thatcher slide rule:

I didn't learn to play with one until the early 80's when I got my first E6B.

And, I recently made a quickie slide rule for calculating C/L model speed from some old Aero Modeller plans:

Mark

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here