News:

• March 28, 2024, 02:14:23 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: what gasket material is the best?  (Read 2221 times)

Offline rich gorrill

• 23 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Commander
what gasket material is the best?
« on: February 21, 2015, 03:43:10 PM »
Hello all, I need a backplate gasket for a Max-S 30. What is the best material to use and where can I get it. Also what thickness do I need? If anyone knows where I can get said gasket this info would also be appreciated.

TIA,

Rich

Offline RandySmith

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
    • Aero Products
Re: what gasket material is the best?
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2015, 05:00:50 PM »
Hello all, I need a backplate gasket for a Max-S 30. What is the best material to use and where can I get it. Also what thickness do I need? If anyone knows where I can get said gasket this info would also be appreciated.

TIA,

Rich

I have a lot of new parts left for the S-30  OS Max

Randy    678 407-9376

Offline Phil Spillman

• Captain
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2015, 08:41:36 PM »
You can easily make your own using Bond Paper( this is the kind which business letters are usually printed on). Simply measure the diameter of the hole in the block, divide by 2 to establish the radius of the hole you'll scribe with your compass, cut it out with either a #10 blade or a scissors, poke holes through your blank after you push the back plate through the big hole, and bolt it tight with your BP screws. Cut the excess off with your knife and fly! The paper is amazingly durable and with the good quality of junk mail paper we get daily you'll have a never ending supply! This process works on all the engines I've ever used over the past 69 years. You may use an all, or a compass' pointy post to make the holes in your blank. 
Phil Spillman

Offline kenneth cook

• Admiral
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2015, 08:53:00 PM »
          Rich? you have some of the best parts supplier right here. Just ask one of us and we will probably have what you need. Send me a pm with your address I believe I have a few. Take care, Ken

Offline James C. Johnson

• 24 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2015, 09:41:08 AM »
I use Fel-Pro 1/64th "Karropak" from local Auto Zone... $3.00 for a sheet that is 12"x36"... I never use a compass... I lay the BP on cut out square and trace with a fine pen or sharp pencil... then cut out the hole with a #11 Xacto... keep the material dry, it is easier to cut that way... then I put the matrieral I just cut out over the BP for fit, install on the engine, then I use an awl to poke the first hole... then oil the first bolt with light machine oil and screw it in to keep the gasket from moving ...poke any other hole next and install the bolt... do the other two... I use oil on the bolts as it helps break down the gasket material that is in the hole... I cinch everything up lightly, don't snug them up yet... then I use a new #11 to trim the gasket over hang... once this is done. I put a little tiny bit of oil on the new gasket in the crack, you may want to unscrew the bolts one turn... cinch everything up and you are good to go..

Offline rich gorrill

• 23 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2015, 02:31:52 PM »
Thanks, Jim and Ken.

Rich

Online Gerald Arana

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2015, 03:38:05 PM »
Rich,

I do it the same way James C. does it except I use a grocery bag. Cheap! Bags used to be free but now I have to pay a quarter for a bag..........Still cheap considering that I probably could get 100 or so out of it!  LL~

Cheers, Jerry

PS: I use a No. 11 exacto blade.

Offline frank mccune

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2015, 04:31:51 PM »
    Hi Rich:

In the past, I have ued gasket material that comes in a squeeze tube ala toothpaste.  This stuff has worked very well for me on engines of all sizes.

There is a new anerobic (sp) stuff that is sold at the local auto parts store that works very much better then the older stuff.  I think that I would give this stuff a chance as it may be easier than cutting a gasket.

Good luck,

Frank McCune

Offline Curare

• 2014 Supporters
  • Captain
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2015, 04:41:20 PM »
Be a bit careful running with just goop as your sealer, some engines rely on the thickness of the gasket to give the correct clearance.

Can't remember which ones though!  :P
Greg Kowalski
AUS 36694

Offline skyshark58

• skyshark58
  • Captain
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2015, 06:50:46 PM »
http://www.perfectpartscompany.com/PerfectAirplaneMainFrame.htm

I'll bet you didn't know they were still around  H^^
mike potter

Online Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2015, 11:11:21 PM »
http://www.perfectpartscompany.com/PerfectAirplaneMainFrame.htm

I'll bet you didn't know they were still around  H^^

No, I didn't, and it's pretty amazing!

Brett

Offline GregArdill

• Commander
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2015, 11:20:51 PM »
I use photocopy paper, brown business envelopes or playing cards, depending on the thickness required.

For the paper ones you can use a pair of dividers and then the no. 11 blade, or just hold the stock securely over the crankcase and run the blade around to cut out the centre.

Then put the backplate in and with a piece of sharpened 1/8 brass tube mark the screw holes. Remove the gasket and punch out the screw holes.

Give the gasket a light coat of oil and reassemble and tighten up the screws. Trim off the excess from around the backplate and go fly.

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2015, 10:43:51 AM »
I do much like Greg A. but i bought a roll of 1/64th and a box of 1/32nd a long time ago.  One of these sizes always seems to work.  The 1/64th usually good for back plates.

BIG Bear
RNMM/AMM
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Offline RandySmith

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
    • Aero Products
« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2015, 02:03:23 PM »
HI
I checked and I have a half dozen OS 30-S packs in stock Head and rear backplate gasket, 2.50 per pack
If you need any head shims and backplate gaskets let me know

regards
Randy   678-407-9376

Offline George

• Admiral
  • Love people, Use things.
« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2015, 05:55:51 AM »
Rich,

I do it the same way James C. does it except I use a grocery bag. Cheap! Bags used to be free but now I have to pay a quarter for a bag..........Still cheap considering that I probably could get 100 or so out of it!  LL~

Cheers, Jerry

PS: I use a No. 11 exacto blade.

Playing cards and Manila folders work well also...

Since they are available, I would go for Randy's offer.

George
George Bain
AMA 23454

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here