News:

• March 29, 2024, 09:20:00 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Did You Ever Hit A Building Wall?  (Read 4474 times)

Offline Dick Pacini

• 24 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Did You Ever Hit A Building Wall?
« on: February 13, 2015, 02:50:46 PM »
No, not the wall of a building, a wall of not building...that still doesn't sound right.

I mean a lull in completing construction of a plane, an extended lull.  I have quite a few high-end kits under the bench and a dozen NIB engines on the rack.  I have a Coyote kit that needs final sanding on the wing and fuselage.  The stab and rudder are complete and covered.  For what ever reason, I just can't find the boot in the butt needed to go downstairs and spend a couple of hours on the plane.  If I finished this one, I am fairly sure I would clean off the bench and set up another jig for the next plane.  I have considered hanging the Coyote up for now and moving on, but I'm afraid that will be the end of it.  Just wondering if any of you have experienced this situation.
AMA 62221

Once, twice, three times a lady.  Four times and she does it for a living.  "You want me on that wall.  You need me on that wall."

Offline Motorman

• Admiral
Re: Did You Ever Hit A Building Wall?
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2015, 03:12:11 PM »
Yup.

MM

Offline Jim Kraft

• Admiral
  • AMA78415
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2015, 03:27:21 PM »
Yep, I sure have. I have not built anything all winter. Not sure why, I just don't seem to have the drive to build something. That, and I have a basement full of planes some of which rarely get flown. I lost both of the flying fields close to home and that may have something to do with it also. Maybe when spring comes and I get out and fly a little things will change. I do have one R/C plane I started over 30 years ago from plans that is still needing to be painted and goodies installed. Maybe I will finish it up this year. I say that every winter though. LOL Maybe I just need to build another Ringmaster just to get me started again. Or another Magician as I only have two of those. It is hard to stay motivated when you are the only flier with in 25 miles of others. Still working on old spark motors and a few old glow motors. That is still fun. I love taking old grungy motors and making them run like new again. As soon as it warms up I need to paint my house and ----------
Jim Kraft

Mike Griffin

« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2015, 08:21:35 PM »
Hi Dick

A few years ago when I was still producing kits, I built many prototypes that I never got finished.  I now have an outbuilding stuffed with wings and fuselages that will probably never will get off the ground.  Life sometimes trumps your desire or ability to get adequate hobby time and it is easy to become overwhelmed.

Mike

Offline Phil Krankowski

• Admiral
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2015, 08:34:17 PM »
Sometimes a couple planks with some rustoleum and an old clapped out whatever are what is needed...

Slap it together and go fly it. 

Phil

Offline wwwarbird

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2015, 09:36:29 PM »

Yes, I think it's the norm for a lot of us here.

I go through on and off building "spurts" with practically every model it seems. For the most part I only do serious build work in the late fall, through winter, and into early spring. Whenever I do get rolling on a build I'll usually post progress pics in the Building section here as I go. It seems to help keep me motivated as well as hopefully helping others with their own. :)
Narrowly averting disaster since 1964! 

Wayne Willey
Albert Lea, MN U.S.A. IC C/L Aircraft Modeler, Ex AMA member

Offline bill bischoff

• Admiral
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2015, 10:40:21 PM »
The hobby is supposed to be fun. If you're not having fun, work on something else. If you have to force yourself to work on a plane, you won't do your best work, and then you'll probably want to work on it even less. No one says you have to work on it but you. I've set lots of projects aside when something else has got me excited. I usually come back to them, but I have put a couple up for adoption in the past.

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2015, 05:40:40 AM »
I have a basically year round building season, always have.  This is a plus and a minus.  I get a construction burn out because of it sometimes.  Right now i am in a slump.  There are several projects I have going and when the fire hits, I will have several new models!  But, for now I want to but just can't pull the trigger.........

BIG Bear
RNMM/AMM
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Offline john gunn

• Lieutenant
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2015, 08:27:06 AM »
Go to  contest without a plane, watch every one having fun, you will want to build again

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2015, 09:00:20 AM »
I see I am not alone on this building/assembling planes.   When I do get in the mood it seems something interferes and that don't help.   When one granddaughter was playing sports it was  great to take time to go watch and cheer the team and her on.   This forum helps a  little as well as the games on the computer.  There is a jig saw game that has three new puzzles each day.  But,  as they say if you don't feel like working on a plane, don't,  just don't ask me why.
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline FLOYD CARTER

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • owner
« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2015, 11:41:59 AM »
Never.  The trick is to turn off the TV, and make sure your workshop is warm and well lighted.

Floyd
89 years, but still going (sort of)
AMA #796  SAM #188  LSF #020

Offline wwwarbird

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2015, 01:24:34 PM »
The hobby is supposed to be fun. If you're not having fun, work on something else. If you have to force yourself to work on a plane, you won't do your best work, and then you'll probably want to work on it even less. No one says you have to work on it but you.

Bill hits the nail squarely on the head with that explanation. y1
Narrowly averting disaster since 1964! 

Wayne Willey
Albert Lea, MN U.S.A. IC C/L Aircraft Modeler, Ex AMA member

Offline Rob Killick

• 2013 Supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2015, 02:27:31 PM »
Hi Dick ,

Sure did hit a wall , last year actually ...
I started my modelling "re-introduction by going back to plastic scale , then to stick and tissue ,rubber powered , now I'm champing at the bit , to get started on my Oriental profile  ;D
Sometimes it takes a while . As soon as I'm done my rubber powered ship , it's on to the Oriental !

It gets better  y1

Rob K.
Rob Killick , MAAC 33300

Offline Randy Cuberly

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2015, 01:05:06 AM »
Uuuhhhhhh....a building wall no...a finishing wall Yes, Yes, Yes....I have eight airplanes ready to finish (cover and paint) and whenever I start to finish something I get the overwhelming urge to build another airplane instead...Stupid Huh!

I know it makes no sense and I've always been a very disiplined person, but now at age 74 I sometimes feel like an irresponsible brat of about 7, and tell myself...I don't want to finish that I want to build this Phhhhhhttttttt....

The wall seems insurmountable sometimes.  Yeah, I know, ready for the Funny Farm soon!

Excuse me I have to go start my Pathfinder Twin.

Randy Cuberly
Randy Cuberly
Tucson, AZ

Offline Jim Kraft

• Admiral
  • AMA78415
« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2015, 09:28:04 AM »
Randy Cuberly, I love your post. I to am 74 and am beginning to realize that I am human like you. It keeps us humble. I get overwhelmed by little things that I use to have great confidence in. Sometimes it helps to just sit back an laugh at ourselves. After loosing both of my brothers last year, and some of my modeling friends, I am learning that the things I use to think are important are not so much anymore. May the Lord grant us the grace to get through this old age thing. It is almost as bad as being a teenager. One day we are still in our 30's, and the next day we are weak and cannot make up our mind about anything. I love all you old guys cause I am one.
Jim Kraft

Offline Carl Cisneros

• Captain
« Reply #15 on: February 15, 2015, 09:35:40 AM »
I can relate to the age thing, even tho I am now a whopping 61.
I always build in the garage, and this winter, I am inside watching a Western instead of out
there covering my new Smoothie I want to fly at my first Brodaks this year.
Can't take the COOL weather like I used to.  So that seems to be my blockage these days.
It will have to wait until at least the end of March before I cover it.
Carl R Cisneros, Dist IV
Control Line RB

Offline Jim Carter

• Admiral
« Reply #16 on: February 15, 2015, 10:06:55 AM »
I can relate to the age thing, even tho I am now a whopping 61.
I always build in the garage, and this winter, I am inside watching a Western instead of out
there covering my new Smoothie I want to fly at my first Brodaks this year.
Can't take the COOL weather like I used to.  So that seems to be my blockage these days.
It will have to wait until at least the end of March before I cover it.
Shooooooooot!!!  Carl, man, don't wait that long!!  Heck no!  I don't know if you're married or not but if that's the problem .... shooooooooooot!!  Walk in that house with your building stuff .... look the little woman in the eyes and just tell her who's the boss .... you 'da man .... demand your rights .... tell her this is the way it's gonna' be and that's all there is to it!!  I bet it won't be long before you have a nice warm, insulated, heated room to work in (granted it might be in a medical rehab facility but ...... I s'pose being in traction ain't all that bad)!!     LL~

Offline Carl Cisneros

• Captain
« Reply #17 on: February 15, 2015, 01:29:57 PM »
OMG!!!!!!!

ROFLMFAO!!!!!!!!!!  LL~ LL~ LL~ S?P
Carl R Cisneros, Dist IV
Control Line RB

Offline Randy Cuberly

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #18 on: February 15, 2015, 04:56:57 PM »
Randy Cuberly, I love your post. I to am 74 and am beginning to realize that I am human like you. It keeps us humble. I get overwhelmed by little things that I use to have great confidence in. Sometimes it helps to just sit back an laugh at ourselves. After loosing both of my brothers last year, and some of my modeling friends, I am learning that the things I use to think are important are not so much anymore. May the Lord grant us the grace to get through this old age thing. It is almost as bad as being a teenager. One day we are still in our 30's, and the next day we are weak and cannot make up our mind about anything. I love all you old guys cause I am one.

Thanks Jim,
Reading your post made me feel a little more normal, even though I know I will never again be as I was when young.
I do really enjoy cutting, carving, and sanding Balsa wood.  Guess that will have to suffice for the time being!

I just recieved a magnificent, gorgeous, Genesis wing from Bob Hunt.  Maybe I'll start building the Fuselage and tail feathers for that instead of the Pathfinder Twin.

Randy Cuberly

Randy Cuberly
Tucson, AZ

Offline John Sunderland

• Captain
« Reply #19 on: February 15, 2015, 05:52:15 PM »
Yes...about 12 years...finally back at building board. :D

Offline Don Chandler

• Lieutenant
« Reply #20 on: February 15, 2015, 06:28:25 PM »
In the early 80's I went two years withot building anything new but still attended about 10 contests each year just reusing the same old stuff.

I basically took 2011 0ff, first year since 1970 that I did not attend one contest or build something new, did sport fly some though then got the bug real bad again.

Offline Sean McEntee

• Captain
« Reply #21 on: February 15, 2015, 08:33:41 PM »
Go to  contest without a plane, watch every one having fun, you will want to build again

Probably the best way.  Went out to to Whittier Narrows with Chris McMillln and Bill Byles this weekend and watched them fly.  Thinking about going AWOL just to go home and get the T-6 done...

Offline Wade Bognuda

• Commander
« Reply #22 on: February 15, 2015, 09:19:06 PM »
Gee, I thought I was unique until  read this thread. So it's NOT just me ?? ;D I do tend to get a lot done I do work on them. I not consistent. I read too much. If there is such a thing as spending too much time reading.

Offline billbyles

• AMA Member
  • Captain
« Reply #23 on: February 15, 2015, 09:25:16 PM »
Probably the best way.  Went out to to Whittier Narrows with Chris McMillln and Bill Byles this weekend and watched them fly.  Thinking about going AWOL just to go home and get the T-6 done...

Hi Sean,

It was a real pleasure to finally get to meet you after reading your posts on here for a long time.  I hope to get to fly with you again when you get your AT-6 completed.

Bill Byles
Bill Byles
AMA 20913
So. Cal.

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #24 on: February 15, 2015, 09:44:07 PM »
No, not the wall of a building, a wall of not building...that still doesn't sound right.

I actually thought you meant "did you ever crash your plane into..." -- I've been blowing this thread off for days because of that!

(I have, but not CL -- only FF and RC)

I mean a lull in completing construction of a plane, an extended lull.

Yes, certainly.  I do two things to combat this:  one, if I just can't stand the idea of working on the "big" plane I build something little on some corner of the bench, like a chuck glider or a Bostonian or something; two, I make myself get down to the shop for just 15 or 30 minutes every evening.  Sometimes that "I'll drag my sorry self out and do half an hour of work" turns into the session that breaks the log jam and gets things going.  Sometimes I end up finding out just how much you can do if you put in 30 minutes every single day on a project.
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline Scott Richlen

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #25 on: February 16, 2015, 07:48:54 AM »
Guys - try this: while you are sitting there watching the tube  or whatever, grab a sheet of paper and list the next ten steps you need to get done on your plane.  Make sure you list them in order - start with the very next small thing that needs to get done like "sand rudder".  If you list a large step, break it down until you can list just a part of the larger step - something that will take 10 or 15 minutes.  That's all.  Once you have finished the list, force yourself to go to the shop and just do that next step.  That's all!  Just the next step.  Then walk away.  Back to TV viewing or whatever, but cross out the step you just accomplished.  When you cross out the step you just accomplished use a big red or black marker and congratulate yourself.  Wait a day and see if it isn't easier to take the next step on.  And just repeat.  Do a self-boost.

Scott

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #26 on: February 16, 2015, 12:37:20 PM »
I've had that problem the last year or so. But I seem to be coming out of it.
Member in good standing of P.I.S.T
(Politically Incorrect Stunt Team)
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Randy Cuberly

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #27 on: February 16, 2015, 05:29:22 PM »
Greast idea Scott, but my problem is by the time the garage is warm enough for me, it is still too cold for the paints and glues, etc. C'mon spring. LL~

Ty,
Electric space heaters are cheap and dependable, and warm things up very quickly.  No excuses!  I wish my problem was that simple to solve!

Randy Cuberly
Randy Cuberly
Tucson, AZ

Offline Balsa Butcher

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
  • High Desert Flier
« Reply #28 on: February 16, 2015, 05:35:55 PM »
I hit a building wall once. I was about 13 yrs old, flying a Ringmaster Flash powered by a Cox .09 and flying in a small parking lot. Wandered out of  center of the circle and SMASH! goes the outboard wing against the corner wall of a closed hamburger stand. Ripped that sucker completely off. Plane flew like a ruptured duck after that, in other words, it flew about the same as it did with both wings on. Fuel empty, land, better luck next time.  :D
As for the other kind of wall, take a deep breath and commit yourself to the build for a couple of hours. That way you will make some visual progress and the project will become interesting again. Happens to us all.  8)
Pete Cunha
Sacramento CA.
AMA 57499

Offline PJ Rowland

• AUS - 29541 AMA - 809970
  • Admiral
  • Melbourne - AUSTRALIA
« Reply #29 on: February 18, 2015, 09:45:44 PM »
Yep.

Hard to keep climbing the mountain
If you always put limit on everything you do, physical or anything else. It will spread into your work and into your life. There are no limits. There are only plateaus, and you must not stay there, you must go beyond them.” - Bruce Lee.

I Yearn for a world where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned.

Offline Randy Cuberly

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #30 on: February 18, 2015, 10:37:47 PM »
Yep.

Hard to keep climbing the mountain

Yep...

And believe me...it doesn't get easier with age.

Randy Cuberly
Randy Cuberly
Tucson, AZ

Offline Scott Richlen

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #31 on: February 19, 2015, 06:21:11 AM »
If you have a nice shop to build in it makes life easier.  My condolences to those of you who have only a garage or a cubby-hole to work in.  Makes it pretty hard to use the cold weather building season when you need warm weather to build!

The thing that I have always appreciated about building is that I can get "lost in it."  Focusing on the task, I soon have left all my worries behind.   It becomes a meditation that can be very soothing.  My mind focused, no repetitious thoughts and worries about the issues of the day, no thinking about all the bad happening in the world.  Just me and that piece off balsa as I stroke it with my sanding block.  I am one with the balsa.... ;D

Scott

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #32 on: February 19, 2015, 11:25:06 AM »
I regularly work in my shop when the temperature is low enough that my breath is foggy.  CA, Ambroid, and Sig-bond all work fine.  Epoxies are unhappy at that temperature, but if I can get the thing clamped up firmly on my bench I'll epoxy it and then park it in my (warm) office overnight -- or I'll figure out how to do the job with a different glue.

Granted, I wait until spring to do any painting...
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline Garf

• Admiral
    • Hangar Flying
« Reply #33 on: February 19, 2015, 03:02:58 PM »
I had no idea that many of us had the same problem. I started it after I retired. I had a lot of planes to fly at the time. After I wrecked all of them, I almost stopped flying. When my flying partner ran into some domestic trouble, He had to quit flying, then I pretty much quit. I can't force myself to go out and clean a 30 year buildup of from the bench, which needs to be done first.

Offline Roger Vizioli

• CLiner
  • 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #34 on: February 19, 2015, 09:24:57 PM »
My biggest motivator is to clean "everything" off the bench that was put there because of no building activity.
A clean bench "normally" is enough to motivate me!

Now, if I could just go clean off the bench!   y1
Roger Vizioli
AMA L-2408
Florida/Space Coast

Offline Scott Richlen

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #35 on: February 20, 2015, 06:09:37 AM »
That's a good point.  Sometimes my bench gets so cluttered I seem to lose initiative.  But if I clean up and straighten everything up on my bench I feel like building again.

Scott

Offline Phil Krankowski

• Admiral
« Reply #36 on: February 20, 2015, 06:28:48 AM »
Make sure you have what you need! 
(a clean workspace is on that list) 

Earlier in the week I was motivated to cover, had the time (how weird!), but my two rolls of white would be hard pressed to cover even a 1/2a wing in a single go.

So now I have to wait for payday to order a fresh roll of white monokote, and find another day with time uninterrupted... a much harder challenge.

Phil

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #37 on: February 20, 2015, 11:17:12 AM »
Well I gave up on organizing the shop.   So if any one wants to visit you will have to let me know so I can make room for you to sit.  Have spent the last few days in the shop working on a scale racer, dusting off the Chupim20 and framing up another stunt plane courtesy of Tom Nieber(spelling again).   I have a wall mounted natural gas heater from Sutherland Lumber that keeps the dogs and my self comfortable.   The thermometer on the other side of the room shows almost a constant 70F degrees.   By the way the work area is almost 20 x 12 feet.
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Just here for the fun of it also.
« Reply #38 on: February 22, 2015, 10:25:21 AM »
Dick,

You might want to try what I just did. I tied some sheets together and up & over I went.

My slump was putting off masking a canopy. I did work around it, but I did have to come to terms sooner or later.

289 pieces of .25" fine line.  HB~>

This has to be a record?

Hang in there!
Trump Derangement Syndrome. TDS. 
Avaiojet Derangement Syndrome. ADS.
Amazing how ignorance can get in the way of the learning process.
If you're Trolled, you know you're doing something right.  Alpha Mike Foxtrot. "No one has ever made a difference by being like everyone else."  Marcus Cordeiro, The "Mark of Excellence," you will not be forgotten. "No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot."- Mark Twain. I look at the Forum as a place to contribute and make friends, some view it as a Realm where they could be King.   Proverb 11.9  "With his mouth the Godless destroys his neighbor..."  "Perhaps the greatest challenge in modeling is to build a competitive control line stunter that looks like a real airplane." David McCellan, 1980.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here