Blank
« on: February 07, 2015, 12:14:46 AM »
Blank
« Last Edit: March 12, 2022, 03:54:50 PM by Air Master »

Offline JoeJust

• 2019 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Re: 96 sq in wing area for .15 to .20 engine = best trainer???
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2015, 11:00:58 AM »
SUPER IDEA!  Price is "right on"!  One suggestion, and minor at that.  Get some better pictures!  Pictures now on Ebey are too dark and not in focus. Good Luck, I hope you are up to your armpits with orders!
Joe
I only enter contests so somebody else is not always in last place

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2015, 11:43:24 AM »
Hi Rusty,

An idea.......... get one and put an FP .20 on it with a 9-4 APC.  Get a video of the first flight!  (there may not be a 2nd flight! LOL!! )

BIG Bear
RNMM/AMM
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Offline bob whitney

• Admiral
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2015, 02:44:17 PM »

Rusty, u got me on that one was getting to say no way ,it would be a race plane with a 15 never mind a 20 ,, would be perfect for a cox .09 madalion
rad racer

Offline John Rist

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2015, 07:47:45 PM »
I have finished building from bad balsa, six PRIMARY trainers using old engines, Fox .19, Enya .15, McCoy .19, K&B .19, etc. Very simple as I pretty much copied them from the Guillow #2 trainers.
The idea is for six club members to always carry one with them when they go flying and use them to entice a walk up to try his hand.  They are designed to take off fly level and land, That's it Primary.
I built one from a kit years ago and actually got it to loop, once. D>K
Cost was mainly for fuel tanks, bell cranks and lead out wire. Every thing else was from what I had in house. The balsa was from a large batch I got off ebay way back in 2000. About 85% of it was great wood, but the remaining stuff was marginal at best, Thus cheap trainers.  Several members chipped in with engines, wheels, and lots of encouragement.
These are 6 x 28=168 sq inches of wing area. Very thin, hand shaved airfoils. More like a big hand launched glider.  H^^

All true and Ty handed one off to me.  I installed a Norvel 074.  Seem to be a strong runner.  She is ready for a test flight.
John Rist
AMA 56277

George Hostler

« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2015, 10:18:37 PM »
Gee, I dunno, 96 sq. in. wing area isn't much. Seems right speed would be to fly it with a Gilbert .11 Thunderhead and 7x3 prop. Built light enough a Cox .049 Sure Start or Gilbert .074 would work, too.  D>K

Offline afml

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2015, 07:03:13 AM »
"I have finished building from bad balsa, six PRIMARY trainers..."
WELL DONE Ty!
WELL DONE!
Many times, the first step is a 'hands on' experience to 'light the fire'.
Best of luck with the trainers & "Tight lines!" H^^
Wes
Wes Eakin

Online Dave_Trible

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2015, 08:58:31 AM »
I have finished building from bad balsa, six PRIMARY trainers using old engines, Fox .19, Enya .15, McCoy .19, K&B .19, etc. Very simple as I pretty much copied them from the Guillow #2 trainers.
The idea is for six club members to always carry one with them when they go flying and use them to entice a walk up to try his hand.  They are designed to take off fly level and land, That's it Primary.
I built one from a kit years ago and actually got it to loop, once. D>K
Cost was mainly for fuel tanks, bell cranks and lead out wire. Every thing else was from what I had in house. The balsa was from a large batch I got off ebay way back in 2000. About 85% of it was great wood, but the remaining stuff was marginal at best, Thus cheap trainers.  Several members chipped in with engines, wheels, and lots of encouragement.
These are 6 x 28=168 sq inches of wing area. Very thin, hand shaved airfoils. More like a big hand launched glider.  H^^
Way to go Ty!  That's what we need to do- have a trainer ready at all times.

Dave
AMA 20934
FAA Certificate FA3ATY4T94

Offline LARRY RICE

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2015, 09:44:57 AM »
Interesting, I am sure that you built and flew a Tenderfoot model before you found fault in it.  The two models it is based on is a Goldberg's "Glo-Bug" and Walt Musciano's trainer in his book "Building and Flying Model Airplanes".  Both of these designs are very old designs and the engines that were in use then, were not as powerful as the ones we have today.  The big advantages in this model is low cost, easy building and very sturdy.  Personally I feel that a 1/2A model makes a much better trainer as it is not intimating for new flier. 

Larry
Black Hawk Models

Offline Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2015, 11:17:33 AM »
Tenderfoot
Trainer / Sport model

With its jet like appearance, easy assembly and stable flying, this model is sure to be a hit with every youngster from 10 to 110.   Three top notch designers - Walt Musciano, Carl Goldberg and Captain Blackhawk, all contributed to the creation of the Tenderfoot and made it the best trainer available!

KIT NUMBER: AC 1100
WING SPAN: 24"
WING AREA 96 Sq. In.
ENGINE: .15 to .20
SKILL LEVEL: Easy
Kit includes:
Profile fuselage
Solid wing
Complete hardware package with wheels

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Tenderfoot-American-Classic-C-L-Trainer-Balsa-Model-Airplane-Kit-AC1100-/291365076520?pt=US_Radio_Control_Control_Line&hash=item43d6b63e28

But I thought "there was no such thing as too much power"?

I think I could get it to about 120 mph pretty easily.

Brett

Offline scott v.

• 23 supporter
  • Ensign
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2015, 10:36:06 AM »
Hi All-

I built this one from a Musciano book in grade school.  It took me quite a while but I was some proud.  It had a well used fox .15 for power, could not beg it to loop or go inverted but would roller coaster and do a sort of wingover.

I would recommend this to a beginning modeler just for the cutting and carving experience.  Covered in  heavy silkspan the machine is almost indestructible.  I dusted mine off and here are a couple of pics.

scott

Offline Ron Cribbs

• Commander
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2015, 10:15:15 AM »
Interesting, I am sure that you built and flew a Tenderfoot model before you found fault in it.  The two models it is based on is a Goldberg's "Glo-Bug" and Walt Musciano's trainer in his book "Building and Flying Model Airplanes".  Both of these designs are very old designs and the engines that were in use then, were not as powerful as the ones we have today.  The big advantages in this model is low cost, easy building and very sturdy.  Personally I feel that a 1/2A model makes a much better trainer as it is not intimating for new flier. 

Larry
Black Hawk Models

Larry,

I don't think anyone was poking fun at the design, at least I hope not. 96sq" is definitely .049 material. Without seeing the model in person I couldn't comment on engine suitability.

I will say with the engine choices listed it may keep folks from buying the kit. If I was interested in a trainer I would buy one and post a report on engine suitability, just not in the market at the moment. It is a good looking model though!

Ron

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here