News:

• April 18, 2024, 06:39:57 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Marvin Denny  (Read 18161 times)

Offline Larry Borden

• 24 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Commander
Marvin Denny
« on: January 30, 2015, 04:53:02 PM »
Just got an email from Linda Gleason via David Russum. Marvin Denny passed away earlier today. Modelling has lost another great one. We awarded him the Jerry Leuty Spirit of the Ring award at the Roundup last year.
Please keep Marvin's wife Ree and his family your thoughts and prayers

Offline Andre Ming

• Captain
Re: Marvin Denny
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2015, 05:46:45 PM »
It was my pleasure to have known Marvin. 

Many of us (the Tulsa Gluedobbers) wondered if Marvin's attendance at the TGD's September Stunt Contest might be his last.  I am SO glad I attended and had a great visit with him.
Searching to find my new place in this hobby!

Offline wwwarbird

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2015, 05:54:03 PM »
 Damn.

I never got to meet Marvin but I talked with him on the phone a few times over the years and he helped me out with old or oddball parts on a couple occasions. He always seemed real happy to help. Very sorry to hear this news, my condolences to family and friends.  
Narrowly averting disaster since 1964! 

Wayne Willey
Albert Lea, MN U.S.A. IC C/L Aircraft Modeler, Ex AMA member

Offline Paul Taylor

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
  • If God is your Co-pilot - swap seats!
    • Our Local CL Web Page
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2015, 06:12:18 PM »
I met Big Iron at Brodaks. I'm glad I got pit for him. I did speak with him before Christmas. He said he had a good life and the Lord had blessed him with a great family.    He will be missed. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Paul
AMA 842917

Tight Lines = Fun Times

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2015, 06:28:26 PM »
I heard this earlier from De Hill.  I last talked to Marvin on Christmas day, he told me then that time was short.  I have lost a dear friend and the hobby has lost a great man!  Their will never be another Big Iron!

My thoughts and prayers are with his family and friends, especially Rhea his wife.

Bill
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Online Bill Hummel

• 22 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2015, 06:30:23 PM »
Awww...this is so sad.  What a wonderful guy!  I wish you peace, Marvin.  Thank you for all your help and support through the years...
ama 72090

Offline Dave_Trible

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2015, 06:30:56 PM »
This is sad but expected news.  I've had the privilege of knowing Marvin for maybe 30 years, having flown with him and against him here on the Great Plains .  We got a bit closer these last few years .  Last saw him in Tulsa and talked at length on the phone about six weeks ago.  His attitude was upbeat and fulfilled.  I got two of Riley's Sneaker kits from and will treasure building them.  His favorite stunt ship was the Novi IV of which he had several that he flew very well.  He will be sorely missed around these parts.  Light winds Marvin......

Dave
AMA 20934
FAA Certificate FA3ATY4T94

Offline Jim Kraft

• Admiral
  • AMA78415
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2015, 06:43:32 PM »
Marvin will be sorely missed. I have spent some great times with Marvin and Ree and there son Dave. I am still in shock although I new it was coming. God speed Marvin.
Jim Kraft

Offline Bill Morell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2015, 06:56:29 PM »
I never got to meet Marvin but we had many great phone calls. Whenever I needed something it seemed to always be available somewhere in the famous "Junk Barrel". I would swear that thing was bottomless. Will miss him for sure.
Bill Morell
It wasn't that you could and others couldn't, its that you did and others didn't.
Vietnam 72-73
  Better to have it and not need it than it is to need it and not have it.

Offline Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2015, 07:11:39 PM »
    Like the rest, I'm sorry to hear of Marvin's passing, as inevitable as it was. In recent talks with Marvin on the phone, he didn't mince words with how things were with himself and his wife. You have to admire how he looked death in the face and was prepared. He told me also that he had a great life and family and felt truly blessed. Marvin was one of the fixtures at the SIG contest, VSC when I got to attend, and many other midwest contests. As mentioned also, I would have loved to have seen the infamous "junk barrel." It sure seemed like lots of neat stuff came out of there to help a lot of people!. We'll be thinking of anf praying for his wife and the rest of his family.
    With Deepest Sympathies,
     Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824
AMA 480405 (American Motorcyclist Association)

Offline JoeJust

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2015, 07:23:48 PM »
My eyes want to flow, but my heart wont let them.  I will always cherish the evening at Brodak's when we two just stood and talked and talked till dusk.  His phone call to me last Fall will also be treasured.  One of the great human beings that I will miss.
Joe
I only enter contests so somebody else is not always in last place

Offline Dennis Leonhardi

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • AirClassix on eBay
« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2015, 07:44:14 PM »
Never met Marvin, but I've spoken with him on the phone, communicated by email, and we made some trades in the years since Bill Sawyer put us together.  I've had tremendous respect for him based on his honesty, helpfulness, and the way he faced his difficulties.

We and the hobby have lost another great individual, and it's getting tougher every month to see our ranks thinned.

Godspeed Marvin, blue skies and light winds!

Dennis

Think for yourself !  XXX might win the Nats, be an expert on designing, building, finishing, flying, tuning engines - but you might not wanna take tax advice from him.  Or consider his views on the climate to be fact ...

Offline Fred Cronenwett

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Lafayette Esquadrille
« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2015, 08:37:06 PM »
Marvin helped me teach some cub scouts in Wichita how to fly CL models about 7 years ago. He was great modeler and friend, we will all miss him.

Fred
Fred Cronenwett
AMA CLSCALE7 - CL Scale
Model Aviation CL Scale columnist

Offline Clint Ormosen

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2015, 08:47:57 PM »
I spent hours and hours with Marvin "Big Iron" Denny here in the chat forum. Then we hung out at VSC. He pulled a few items from his "junk barrel" of treasures for me to use, too. The man was a giver, for sure. I'll miss him. We all will.
-Clint-

AMA 559593
Finding new and innovated ways to screw up the pattern since 1993

Offline Marvin Denny

• Captain
« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2015, 09:40:23 PM »
This is Marvin's daughter, Nikki. I have printed off your messages to read to my mother. We are so very grateful to the many wonderful friends who have given my parents such a rich and rewarding life. Not all treasures gleam of silver and gold. They treasure each and every one of you. Dad was surrounded by his children and mother was with him as he passed from this world to the next. We are so happy he is no longer in pain. Just a week ago, as I passed his room before going home, as he lay on his side asleep, his left arm was outstretched, circling. I knew from 57 years of watching, he was flying stunt. God bless you all for caring so deeply about the man who was to us was just, Dad.  :'(

Nikki Hipps
nikkihipps@gmail.com
marvin Denny  AMA  499

Offline Jared Hays

• 2020 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #15 on: January 30, 2015, 11:04:51 PM »
My dad and I are very sorry to hear of Marvin's passing.  As a kid I watched "Wired for Excitement" and I watched the combat over and over.  My dad would stop and say see that tall guy flying left handed?  That's Marvin Denny from the Witchita club.  He is a damn good flyer!  He said if Marvin got up first in a combat match the other guy didn't have much of a chance and that Marvin would be doing maneuvers while not even looking at his plane and just watching the other guy and as soon as he was airborne would just pounce on him haha.  I got to meet Marvin for the first time several years ago at a contest and he was flying one of his Novi stunt ships.  Was very cool to see/fly with a guy that in my house was almost like a celebrity on the t.v.  Condolences to his family.  :(

Offline Randy Cuberly

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #16 on: January 31, 2015, 12:21:12 AM »
I just came across this piece of very bad news.  Marvin was a friend of long time standing from both Combat and Stunt.
I actually met him originally when I was just a kid of about 17 at a combat contest in Witchita.  I thought I was really hot until I saw him fly...He inspired me and I talked to him every chance I got throughout the contest.  He was very patient with my questions and helped me a lot especially in telling me how to get more speed out of my Foxes...

Subsequently I saw him several times at VSC and had many more conversations with him...always a pleasure.  He was a true Gentleman.

I will miss him.  I still have a Fox Blackhead Combat Special (Yeah, 50's vintage stuff) that He gave me many years ago that runs much better than it has any right to!

A sad day for me as I'm sure for many others.  God Speed my friend!

Randy Cuberly
Randy Cuberly
Tucson, AZ

Offline Steve Riebe

• Commander
« Reply #17 on: January 31, 2015, 06:44:18 AM »
My most sincere condolences to Marvin's family.  I never had the pleasure to meet Marvin, but spoke to him on the phone about Fox 35's and racing.  Marvin was indeed the world leader in Fox engine technology and gave me and my son some very good advice.  The modeling hobby has indeed lost a great friend.

Offline Randy Ryan

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #18 on: January 31, 2015, 09:01:32 AM »
Prayers and condolences to the family. I never met Marvin but we bantered a lot via email and personal messages.
Randy Ryan <><
AMA 8500
SAM 36 BO all my own M's

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #19 on: January 31, 2015, 09:57:38 AM »
I am sitting here after reading through this thread which I pulled up after getting the E-Mail from his daughter.   As a guest preacher said to us at Church several years ago are we really ever ready when the LORD finally calls us home.  I will miss Marvin as I have been the racing circle and combat with him.   He was fun to fly with as we would talk while flying.  He will be missed and I pray for Rhee and the family.   I guess I have known Marvin since the 60's when I was getting into competition.
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Phil Bare

• Captain
« Reply #20 on: January 31, 2015, 01:24:38 PM »
 A sad day for sure. Even though I never got to meet Marvin in person, I had many pleasant conversations over the phone with him over the years. The hobby has lost another of the best.
May God bless and keep Marvin's family. We know that Marvin is flying in the big circle.

Phil Bare

Offline De Hill

• Admiral
« Reply #21 on: January 31, 2015, 03:09:44 PM »
Marvin Denny's Viewing and Funeral will be held at the Valley Center Christian Church,
1801 E. 5th St. , Valley Center Kansas. 316-755-1233

Viewing:  Monday, 5-7 pm.

Funeral: Tuesday, 1 pm
De Hill

Offline Geoff Goodworth

• Captain
« Reply #22 on: January 31, 2015, 06:09:42 PM »
Living the other side of the Pacific, I only ever spoke to Marvin by email.

Over a decade ago, Dan Rutherford was waxing lyrical about the virtues of Marvin's version of the Hot Rock handle. I was learning AutoCAD and while I was drawing a couple of model aeroplanes, I needed a smaller job for a class project. I wrote to Marvin and asked if he was interested in helping me to draw his design for posterity.

He agreed and the drawing is available in the download section of the forum.

A couple of years ago, Marvin told me that he was using the drawing himself when he made more of his handles. The last time I spoke to him was late last year. He told me that his prospects were not good but still, he was enthusiastic about my plan to turn his design into a hard point handle using metal or carbon fibre fittings similar to the Ted handle and the one that Tom Morris makes.

The drawing is sized to fit on a Metric A2 drawing sheet or the similar sized Imperial sheet. To print it, simply instruct the PDF reader to centre the print and print full size.

As a mark of respect for a fine modeller and a real gentleman, I draw you attention to the drawing. With Marvin's agreement, it was made available for anybody who wants to use it.

Offline De Hill

• Admiral
« Reply #23 on: January 31, 2015, 08:03:50 PM »
Elwyn Aud posted Marvin Denny's obituary and funeral information on the "In memory of our friends" section. 
De Hill

Offline Ron Cribbs

• Commander
« Reply #24 on: January 31, 2015, 08:40:11 PM »
Well crap,

This really bummed me out. I have met Marvin a couple times and spoke many times over the phone. He has helped this newbie out many times and I really appreciated it.

Great guy! and as nicest a person as you would ever want to meet.

What a downer...

Offline De Hill

• Admiral
« Reply #25 on: February 01, 2015, 11:00:26 AM »
Marvin Denny; a life well lived.

Marvin Denny was born on October 13, 1930, in Childress, Texas. He got his first model for his 6th birthday; it was a Megow rubber powered model. Marvin and his friend Hathaway McGee built models together during World War ll. They were often harrassed by McGee's young red haired sister. Marvin's father took him to contests in these early days and provided him with guidance that lasted through the rest of his life.

Marvin Joined the United States Air Force in 1950. He spent his whole enlistment in Texas! He went to basic training at Lackland AFB in San Antonio, Airframe and Engine training at Sheppard AFB in Wichita Falls Texas, first permanent assignment was in Fort Worth, Texas at Carswell AFB. His final Air Force Assignment was at Biggs AFB in El Paso, Texas. Marvin worked on B-36's and C-124's. The B-36 was his favorite.

Marvin did some modeling at Sheppard AFB, and flew all four classes of speed. (A,B,C, and D) He got on the base modeling team and was flown to the New York Mirror Meet, and traveled to the Nats by USAF bus.

While stationed at Carswell, Marvin took a leave back home and his mother reintroduced him to Hathaway McGee's little red haired sister. Her name was Aurelia (pronounced aw-real-yah) and she had changed considerably!

They were married a year later, and modeling took a back seat for a while. Marvin and Ree are the proud parents of sons David, Dan, Roger,  and one daughter, Nikki.

Marvin was discharged from the USAF, and finally settled in Amarillo with an aviation job. He and his family went to a lot of contests. In 1968, back trouble developed and Marvin put modeling on the back burner again. His job in Amarillo ended, and he transferred to Wichita, Kansas.

Modeling started again, and he and Aurelia went to 10 - 15 AMA nationals and dozens of lesser contests. During this period, Marvin won Slow Combat at the 1979 AMA Lincoln Nats and won Old Time Stunt at the 1994 Nats in Lubbock, Texas. Marvin designed four items for Fox Manufacturing; the stud prop shaft and the elevated venturi for the Mark 4 combat special, and stuffer backplate and hemi head for the Fox .35 stunt engine.

Of all the people who Marvin met, he gives credit to two; his dad, who taught him the importance of knowing and flying by the rules and using safe equipment, and His wife Aurelia, who knew when to encourage him and when to cool him off.

Marvin Denny passed away on Friday, January 30, 2015 at home with his wife and family at his side.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2015, 03:32:20 PM by De Hill »
De Hill

Offline Chad Hill

• Commander
« Reply #26 on: February 01, 2015, 06:05:37 PM »
I'm sorry to hear about Marvin's passing. On the phone and in e-mails he provided me with very helpful advice on a number of occasions, found a MK7 Combat Special crankshaft at the Fox factory for me, and sent several NIB 36X parts from his "junk barrel". Unfortunately, I never had the opportunity to meet him in person.

Rest in peace, sir.

Offline Paul Smith

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #27 on: February 02, 2015, 01:53:03 PM »
I sent some Marvin Denny info to Control Line World.  I was informed that they are preparing an article about Marvin for the next issue.  I suggest that anybody with photos or comments about Marvin forward them to CLW without delay.

nikki@brodak.com
Paul Smith

Offline Fred Cronenwett

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Lafayette Esquadrille
« Reply #28 on: February 02, 2015, 03:54:36 PM »
Marvin was a good man, flew with him for several years while I lived in the Wichita area, got this picture at the 2009 Wichita CL contest

Fred

Fred Cronenwett
AMA CLSCALE7 - CL Scale
Model Aviation CL Scale columnist

Offline Clancy Arnold

• Admiral
  • I am 5 Ft. 8 In., the Taube is 7 Ft. 4 In.
« Reply #29 on: February 02, 2015, 05:39:36 PM »
In April of 2010 While visiting Kansas to meet our first Great Grandson my wife, Pat,  and I stopped at Marvin and Rea's home.  I had heard stories about his "Junk Barrel". Marvin told me how the name came to be.  the whole story is in the July 2010 issue of control Line World magazine.
Clancy
Clancy Arnold
Indianapolis, IN   AMA 12560 LM-S
U/Tronics Control
U/Control with electronics added.

Offline Marvin Denny

• Captain
« Reply #30 on: February 02, 2015, 07:52:11 PM »
This is a link to watch the funeral of Marvin Denny live via the internet at 1PM CST on Tuesday Feb. 3.

http://www.valleycenterchristianchurch.org/vccc/index.php/prior-service-recordings/285-live-webcast

Please feel free to share.
marvin Denny  AMA  499

Offline De Hill

• Admiral
« Reply #31 on: February 03, 2015, 06:20:12 PM »
Marvin Denny's funeral was held at 1pm on February 3, 2015 at the First Christian Church in Valley Center, Kansas. A large crowd was in attendance. Marvin had a large family.  A military service was held at the flag draped casket, and Marvin's wife Aurelia was presented with the flag.

The Chaplin, Cecil Lilliston did an excellent job with the funeral service.

Several controline fliers showed up for the service. Lew and Julie Woolard, Joe and Colleen Gilbert, Jim Lee, Gary Mondry, Gary and Sharon Minor, Cary Minor, Andy Minor and his wife, Jeff Johnson, Mike and Vernall Tallman and De and Ruby Hill.

Marvin was laid to rest at the Valley Center Memorial Cemetery.

Godspeed old friend.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2015, 07:56:17 PM by De Hill »
De Hill

Offline Steve Hines

• 21 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #32 on: February 03, 2015, 09:19:33 PM »
It was nice to have it on pod cast, got to see part of it. Had to take a late lunch.

Steve

Offline eric rule

• Commander
« Reply #33 on: February 03, 2015, 09:44:05 PM »
Had the very great pleasure of meeting Big Iron at VSC 3 in Tucson. One of the nicest men I have ever had the pleasure of knowing. I probably learned more about Fox engines from him than anyone else.

It is sad that he is gone. He will be missed!

Online dale gleason

• 23 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #34 on: February 04, 2015, 01:13:56 PM »
Here's a side of him few ever saw (heard)...

At one of our annual FishFlys some years back, I was pretty well driving folks away by playing the ol' five-string. I pretty well ran out of material, being limited in that manner. Marvin angled over toward me and inquired would I play a request for him, namely "That Good 'Ol Mt. Dew"? (not the caffeine/sugar variety). I agreed to give it a rip if he knew the lyrics. He did. Pretty well, too! In fact, it was a great rendition....the best I have ever heard it sung by a B-36 Mechanic.

"Neighborhood of "G", dale, none of them fancy minor chords,"

"Down the road here from me
they's an ol' holler tree
where you lay down a dollar two...
etc, etc......"

dg

Offline Greg McCoy

• Commander
  • flying tiger B24 gunnery school patch Laredo
« Reply #35 on: February 04, 2015, 10:50:43 PM »
From Andy Minor on facebook.
AMA 77370

Offline De Hill

• Admiral
« Reply #36 on: February 18, 2015, 02:49:45 PM »
Aurelia Denny passed away today Feb. 18 at 3:15pm. This was 19 days after her husband Marvin Denny passed.

They were inseparable in life, and now are together again. I am deeply saddened that they are gone.

De Hill
De Hill

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #37 on: February 18, 2015, 04:06:46 PM »
I really hate to hear it!  I enjoyed talking with her on the phone while I was waiting for Marvin.  A super nice lady and my prayers are with the family.  I really hope we have a break in losing our friends, but God has his plan..........

Bill
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #38 on: February 18, 2015, 04:30:38 PM »
As Big Bear says, GOD has his plan.   Rhea alias Texas Red was a great lady.   Now they are together eternally.   Thanks for the info De. :'(
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203

Online dale gleason

• 23 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #39 on: February 18, 2015, 04:38:29 PM »
I always seem to focus on the musical side of folks....Rhee played the piano very well. One year, as the cleanup progressed at a supper served by the hosts of the Wichita annual contest, I was tinkering with an old piano when Rhee sat down and played a few hymns, strictly from memory. LB and I also treasure a painting she gave us. Talented in so many ways, always a friend. Both Dennys are sorely missed....
dale g

Offline don boka

• Lieutenant
« Reply #40 on: February 18, 2015, 05:24:16 PM »
I know they were both welcomed into Heaven with opened arms.

Hope Marvins "Junk barrel" follows him.

May you both R.I.P. and in each others' arms.

Don Boka.

Offline Mike Keville

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #41 on: February 18, 2015, 05:38:48 PM »
Aurelia Denny passed away today Feb. 18 at 3:15pm. This was 19 days after her husband Marvin Denny passed.

They were inseparable in life, and now are together again. I am deeply saddened that they are gone.

De Hill
======================================================

Such a nice lady!  She was an accomplished artist, too.  Man, we are disappearing at a rapid rate......
FORMER member, "Academy of Multi-rotors & ARFs".

Offline Elwyn Aud

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Inferalandings Photo Page
« Reply #42 on: February 19, 2015, 05:18:38 PM »
Nothing more to add. Still sad news. I'm glad their suffering is over.

Offline Jim Kraft

• Admiral
  • AMA78415
« Reply #43 on: February 23, 2015, 02:23:10 PM »
I am still struggling with Marvin leaving, and now Ree.  Ree would have never been happy without Marvin, so there was a great reunion in Heaven on the 18th. I am glad I had the pleasure of knowing them both but still am in shock that they are gone.
Jim Kraft

Offline De Hill

• Admiral
Re: Aurelia Denny
« Reply #44 on: March 03, 2015, 01:32:04 PM »
Aurelia Denny's funeral was on Friday, Feb. 27 at 2pm. It was held at the Christian Church in Valley Center, Kansas.
She was interred beside the love of her life, husband Marvin Denny in the Valley Center memorial cemetery. Ree and Marvin were married on November 3, 1952 in Childress, Texas. Marvin preceded her in death in January of this year.

Ree was born in Hollis, Oklahoma and graduated from Wellington High School in Texas. She was a graduate of Amarillo College and West Texas State University receiving her bachelor of arts in education.  She enjoyed teaching and being a substitute teacher in many schools including Valley Center. She was an accomplished artist and was a past member of the Kansas Art Guild and the Wichita Oil Painting Society. She became an auditor for the I.R.S. and retired after many years of service.

Ree is survived by three sons, David, Dan, and Roger, and one daughter, Nikki Hipps.

It was snowing from Tulsa to Wichita last Friday, so Ruby and I decided not to attend the funeral. We did watch it on the live podcast from the Valley Center Church. As in Marvin's funeral the Chaplin Cecil Lilliston did an excellent job.

Aurelia was a genuinely nice and gracious lady. She is missed.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2015, 04:02:32 PM by De Hill »
De Hill

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #45 on: March 04, 2015, 11:45:15 AM »
Thanks De for the post.  They were a great couple. :'(
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here