News:

• April 24, 2024, 04:04:18 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Control System Question (Banshee)  (Read 1637 times)

Offline Motorman

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Control System Question (Banshee)
« on: January 28, 2015, 01:17:12 PM »
Actually trying to get the geometry right on this one. Drew it all out on paper and made my own bolt on control horns. I got the bellcrank centered with the lead outs same length and the flaps at neutral. I even made one of those flap horns that tilt forward to get 90 degrees on the pushrod. my problem is with the elevator. The pushrod that came in the kit was a bit too long so I had to move the horn aft to get neutral. Now I get more travel up than down. If I make a shorter push rod and move the horn forward as designed will that fix the problem?

Thanks,
MM

Offline Howard Rush

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Control System Question (Banshee)
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2015, 01:40:42 PM »
Yes. 

If you really want your controls symmetrical, I can send you a spreadsheet.
The Jive Combat Team
Making combat and stunt great again

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2015, 02:03:51 PM »
I'm gong to be nasty and ask why you didn't make adjustable links on the push rod? S?P
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Mike Griffin

« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2015, 02:10:55 PM »
Doc, you ole rebel rouser you.

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2015, 03:13:17 PM »
I'm gong to be nasty and ask why you didn't make adjustable links on the push rod? S?P

I'm going to be all nice and recommend that you make at least one adjustable link on the push rod.  And make the push rod out of carbon fiber, to boot, and lose the pushrod guide on the fuselage.
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2015, 03:38:56 PM »
  The usual method for using pushrods of fixed length, is to install the bell crank before gluing the horizontal stab in place. Then you install the control horn on the elevator with the holes for the pushrod centered on the hinge line. You attach the pushrod at both ends, and slide the stab back and forth until the levator is level, then mark the position, and then glue the stab in place. I think thi is spelled out in the Banshee instruction sheet.  If there is a minor deflection after glueing, and it's in the correct direction, you can tweak the pushrod by bending it a bit to shorten it. Another old school method if using music wire push rods is to make it in two pieces with about an inch and a half over lap. Wrap the over lap tightly with thin un-varnished copper wire until it is sort of stiff and will hold a position. If the stab is glued on already, shorten or lengthen the push rod as necessary at the over lapped section and test the controls. When all is well and good, just solder the joint securely. And with any method, don't forget to install a fair lead to limit flex in the push rod. About half the airplanes hanging in my garage have push rods made in one of these methods with no problems.
   Type at you later,
    Dan Mcentee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824
AMA 480405 (American Motorcyclist Association)

Offline Motorman

• Admiral
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2015, 03:59:30 PM »
I can make the push rod adjustable by cutting it and soldering on a roll pin. I just threw it on there to see the flippers go up and down.

Thanks Howard, I see the problem. The push rod goes up to the elevator which makes it worse. I need a horn that goes forward of the hinge line.

Can anybody give me flap and elevator angles for a Banshee?

Thanks,
MM

Offline Howard Rush

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2015, 04:01:49 PM »
And with any method, don't forget to install a fair lead to limit flex in the push rod.

You can get away without this if the pushrod is stiff and straight.  If the pushrod has a dogleg in it or even if it has an L bend at the end, it will tend to bend and need support.
The Jive Combat Team
Making combat and stunt great again

Offline Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2015, 05:52:25 PM »
I can make the push rod adjustable by cutting it and soldering on a roll pin. I just threw it on there to see the flippers go up and down.

Thanks Howard, I see the problem. The push rod goes up to the elevator which makes it worse. I need a horn that goes forward of the hinge line.

Can anybody give me flap and elevator angles for a Banshee?

Thanks,
MM
    All control horns should have the push rod holes on the hinge line, both flap and elevator. Forward or aft of the hinge line will give you the differentiation, or more one way than the other. Elevator and flap difflection should be good at 35 degrees or so for a properly balanced model, and be more than enough. Check the plans and the instructions closely.
    Type at you later,
      Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824
AMA 480405 (American Motorcyclist Association)

Offline wwwarbird

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2015, 05:58:47 PM »
The pushrod that came in the kit was a bit too long so I had to move the horn aft to get neutral. Now I get more travel up than down. If I make a shorter push rod and move the horn forward as designed will that fix the problem?

Thanks,
MM

Um, let me think about this.
Narrowly averting disaster since 1964! 

Wayne Willey
Albert Lea, MN U.S.A. IC C/L Aircraft Modeler, Ex AMA member

Offline Motorman

• Admiral
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2015, 08:42:42 PM »
Got it fixed. Seems so simple now. The line between hinge pivot and horn pivot had to be 90 degrees to the pushrod to get equal travel in both directions. At the angle the pushrod approached the tail, the horn pivot had to be 1/8 ahead of the elevator hinge to achieve the 90.  I've got 22 degrees on all flippers up and down. Seems like allot of flap, maybe I'll make the elevator horn shorter as I sometimes need to do emergency pull outs. I was going for 1:1 but plans show 1/16th shorter.

MM

« Last Edit: January 28, 2015, 09:02:00 PM by Motorman »

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2015, 10:00:29 PM »
If I remember correctly you're a beginner or intermediate pilot.  If that's the case, then leaving it alone will probably give you a plane that flies better than you do.

Of course, if you currently have to burrow up through the snow to see if it's light outside, there's no reason not to spend time fussing with your plane.
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline Motorman

• Admiral
« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2015, 05:41:54 PM »
Just did a weight and balance on the Banshee. The battery box in the wing was a fail.  Looks like my dream of having a full length nose is over. Balance point was 1-1/4 ahead of the plans. I have to move the motor back 3" to get anywhere close. Could add 50g to the tail but I'm already at 44oz. with batt. Where do you balance your Banshee?

MM

Offline Don Coe

• 2019 supporter
  • Ensign
« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2015, 09:34:45 AM »
I've got an electric Banshee and had to cut 2 1/2" off the nose to get an "in range" balance point.  Mounted the battery box above wing for final balance point.  Plane flys terrible.  Think I have to remount engine.  Thinking it may be thrust line???  Please post as this project continues.

Offline Douglas Ames

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2015, 10:23:37 AM »
If I remember correctly you're a beginner or intermediate pilot.  If that's the case, then leaving it alone will probably give you a plane that flies better than you do.

Of course, if you currently have to burrow up through the snow to see if it's light outside, there's no reason not to spend time fussing with your plane.

Can't the guy make an attempt at furthering his knowledge? Isn't that what this forum's about...
AMA 656546

If you do a little bit every day it will get done, or you can do it tomorrow.

Offline Motorman

• Admiral
« Reply #15 on: February 03, 2015, 10:24:34 AM »
It's a problem with certain size planes. I made an E Flight Streak with the battery completely below the wing and it flew like a duck with a broken wing. That's why I made a box in the wing to get it on center and far enough back. The system is big enough for a 650 sq in plane and I'm sure that's part of the balance problem. I'd like to move the battery back but I'd have to cut the spar in half. The answer is build bigger planes lol.

MM

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here