News:

• April 23, 2024, 03:07:06 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Garden State Circle Burners  (Read 2662 times)

Offline Andre Ming

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain
Garden State Circle Burners
« on: January 25, 2015, 03:14:22 PM »
I can no longer get to the GSCB's website.  Instead there's links to a "new" GSCB website and it either ends up at a Tripod spam site or a "Greenwood Lake Estates" website????

Anyway...

I'm hoping to find out if a date has been set for the 2015 Nostalgia Combat Fun Fly that I am hoping to attend. I need to know the date of the event ASAP so I can mark-off vacation time at the RR.

Does anyone know about the date of the 2015 Combat Fun Fly?

Thanks for any help.

Searching to find my new place in this hobby!

Offline Dennis Moritz

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Garden State Circle Burners
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2015, 05:14:43 PM »
Try Peabody's site.
http://www.richpeabody.com/interest.htm

Also facebook address.

Offline Frank Imbriaco

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
  • At the 69 Willow Grove NATS with J.D. FALCON II
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2015, 06:38:15 PM »
Somewhere I read that the TENTATIVE  and UNOFFICIAL date is September 20, 2015- BUT, please wait for the confirmed date to get posted by the CD(s).

Offline C.T. Schaefer

• Captain
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2015, 06:41:09 PM »
Hi, Glad to hear you are interested. I am the CD. The event will be on Sept 20 at the GSCB field.  C.T. Schaefer

Offline Andre Ming

• Captain
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2015, 08:11:27 PM »
Thanks much C.T.

I will mark off my time this week and start making plans to be there.  Looking forward to seeing Larry and all you New Joisey yankees and diggin' the sights n' sounds of the combat planes I grew up with! At this point I'll have three vintage combat planes with me, all Fox powered. (Fox powered... me?  Imagine that.)

Online Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2015, 08:57:08 PM »
     Hey Mingster!
    I just KNEW you wouldn't be able to resist this once you got back to smelling some castor oil exhaust again! I know you'll have a ton of fun with the GSCB guys.
    Just got two Penton engines back from rebuild. As soon as I get them mounted into chassis, I'm turning some attention to my building board, if I can find it! I need to build something, and I even have some vintage combat stuff here that would be quick to build and fun to just wring out once in a while!
   Type at you later,
   Dan "PunkinHead" McEntee

PS: To the uninitiated, I am a member of Andre's VINDURO vintage enduro/ISDT motorcycle group. It is there that I got the nick name "PunkinHead" but I had in hand in deserving the name and will explain it some time!
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824
AMA 480405 (American Motorcyclist Association)

Offline Andre Ming

• Captain
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2015, 09:40:38 PM »
Hi'ya PunkinHead!

Well, me and control line go waaay back.  I have so many good experiences and memories within the hobby. Plus, I want to enjoy it while I still have the basic skills and reflexes needed to fly 100+ MPH vintage combat planes. (Building/sport flying vintage combat planes/engines is my "happy place" in C/L.) 

As for Larry: Met him mano u mano for the first time at the '72 Glenview Nats while Duke, Larry, and me air tested some engines and combinations at an impromptu practice field we set up.  We stayed in touch off/on after that, but after Larry retired he started going to VSC and in so doing would pass through Ft. Smith, AR.  He would holler and I would meet up with him and Betty (Duke had passed away by this time) and we would all go eat, get caught up on airplane stuff (and life in general), and basically just have a great time.  We kept that up for several years, then Larry quit going to the VSC. This planned GSCB Combat Fun Fly trip is primarily to get to see Larry again, and the vintage fun fly and getting to meet some of the NJ gang is frosting.  Larry's not getting any younger, and neither am I, so I figure this year's the year that I make the trek.

Good news on the Penton engines. 

There is a downside to this NJ trip: Sharon and I will have to miss the Ohio ISDTRR, for the two dates are just a week apart. Once we leave NJ, we're going to be coming back through West Virginia and doing the "tourist thing" with the rest of our vacation time.  We will just be getting back home during the ISDTRR weekend.

All fer now!

Offline C.T. Schaefer

• Captain
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2015, 06:32:02 AM »
You know, I wasn't going to start the chatter for a couple of months yet but since you mentioned it..... There are a number of guys around here who have been building an assortment of vintage ships. Last year saw 3 new LS Killers and a couple of Super Satans and I know of at least one Killer nearing completion right here in NJ! We also expect some vey healthy BB's this year. They have been rebuilt with the ABC P/L sets we had made in Australia by Brian Gardner and work very well. I believe the 'back in the day' term was 'Honk'.
  Larry is still active. When weather permits we get out at least once a week. He's happiest when flying one of his hot .15 FAI ships!  1972 was my first Nats and I transported his planes to Glenview so he could meet up and fly with Duke.  Later, TS

Offline Andre Ming

• Captain
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2015, 07:22:30 PM »
Guess it's a bit early for the chatter... but hey... it's winter!  At least we can talk airplanes, right?

As for what to bring/fly: I currently have three airplanes ready to go, and I intend to bring along some engines for show n' tell BS'in.  I'm currently working a 6 day work week until the end of March. I'm also getting ready to start the process on a 16' x 20' out building (finished out on the inside and with heat/AC) that is to become my "hobby house".  This is where the building bench will be. (In fact almost all of my toys will be housed in the building.)  All of this means that I'm going to be sort of busy for a while. However, I'm hoping that all will be done in enough time so I can move into the building and at least build another airplane or two to bring along with me.  Looking forward to the Fun Fly!

1972 was my first Nats and I transported his planes to Glenview so he could meet up and fly with Duke.  Later, TS

My lands what a small world.  We probably crossed paths all those eons ago and didn't even know it!  If you saw a tall skinny guy with dark hair (I was 20 years old at the time) helping Duke and Larry with the flying/timing/spinning wrenches/etc, that would have been me!

Say, you wouldn't happen to be the young man that flew Sr. Combat using an original design called the "Pegasus" would you?  If so, it IS a small world, 'cause I pitted for the young man to help him out! 

Offline C.T. Schaefer

• Captain
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2015, 07:01:51 AM »
I did have a senior with me that year. Can't quite remember his name but he did fly combat that year. I abandoned combat when I realized that my skills weren't up to the challenge. I gravitated towards carrier, speed and racing instead. I was telling LS that I was talking to a fellow from Oklahoma and he guessed your name right away.

Offline YakNine

• AMA Member
  • Commander
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2015, 03:42:22 AM »
Our website imploded and we are working on a new one , keep checking back it will be back eventually.
AMA 85135                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                    GSCB

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here