News:

• April 26, 2024, 09:42:05 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: engine cleaning  (Read 1954 times)

Offline Bootlegger

• 22 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
engine cleaning
« on: January 24, 2015, 06:04:25 AM »

Fellow's I gotta OLD Fox 36 ball brng engine that is GUMMED up and I need to clean it without the anti freeze and crock pot method.

What other method do you use?  Thanks a lot
8th Air Force Veteran
Gil Causey
AMA# 6964

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
Re: engine cleaning
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2015, 06:35:29 AM »
Hi Gil,

I boil my engines about 30 min. using dishwasher detergent (not dish"washing").  I take off the head and back plate.  This has never failed to free up an engine.  Of course i use air tool oil after i dry the engine to keep away rust.

Thanks!
BIG Bear
RNMM/AMM
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Offline Andre Ming

• Captain
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2015, 07:11:57 AM »
Remove the glow plug and rear cover.  Heat in the oven at about 180 degrees for about 15 minutes or so. IF it is castor gummed, the heat has started the process of returning the castor to a liquefied state.  Once you retrieve the baked engine, using gloves, prop the still hot engine and start to turn it over. It should start to turn. Squirt some fresh fuel into the exhaust and the rear of the engine and continue turning the engine over.  It should loosen up nicely. Once it does, then clean out the fuel residue and treat with your favorite after-run oil.
Searching to find my new place in this hobby!

Offline Ward Van Duzer

• Admiral
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2015, 09:32:58 AM »
Patootey, OK. Are you kidding? That's my cats given name! Sweet Patootey.

Ward-O  ::)
I hate spelling errors, you mess up 2 letters and you are urined!

Don't hesitate to ask dumb questions.
They are easier to handle than dumb mistakes!  Ward-O AMA 6022

Offline Jim Carter

• Admiral
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2015, 11:49:05 AM »
I just put a prop on the shaft, clamp it up with a set of vice grips on the engine lug and fire up the ol' monokote heat gun nice and steady until I can begin to move the prop.  Then repeatedly drip a little WD-40 in the intake, plug hole and prop shaft with a bit more turning back and forth until it's loose.  You may have to heat it up a bit more in between the turning and oiling but it should be all right in most cases.

Offline Jim Kraft

• Admiral
  • AMA78415
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2015, 12:16:16 PM »
A heat gun and PB Blaster works wonders. On Foxes though, you do need to take off the back plate and check to make sure the rod is able to move on the wrist pin as they are usually stuck. Get that free and you are good to go. Wash it out good with fuel and then after run oil. I use Rislone as it never dries out.
Jim Kraft

Offline George

• Admiral
  • Love people, Use things.
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2015, 09:45:00 AM »
...take off the back plate and check to make sure the rod is able to move on the wrist pin as they are usually stuck. Get that free and you are good to go. Wash it out good with fuel and then after run oil. I use Rislone as it never dries out.

That is excellent advice for ANY engine that has been stored for awhile. If stuck, I like to hold the engine upside down and squirt a little fuel in the piston until the conrod/wrist pin bearings are covered. Let the fuel penetrate a few minutes if necessary then make sure the conrod is free to move on the wrist pin.

George
George Bain
AMA 23454

Offline Andrew Hathaway

• Captain
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2015, 03:48:04 AM »
Worse yet, Fox engines with wire cir-clip wrist pin keepers tend to push the keepers out of their grooves if they're run with the rod stuck on the wrist pin.  The keepers then get into the liner where they cut grooves. 

Offline Bootlegger

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2015, 05:17:49 AM »

Thanks for  all the advice folks, boiled the engine using dishwasher soap like the Coach suggested and it came clean, then sprayed P B Blaster on the wrist pin and freed it up, this way I was able to get the engine completely torn down..

Again thanks for all the advice...
8th Air Force Veteran
Gil Causey
AMA# 6964

Offline Randy Ryan

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2015, 11:22:15 AM »
I just put a prop on the shaft, clamp it up with a set of vice grips on the engine lug and fire up the ol' monokote heat gun nice and steady until I can begin to move the prop.  Then repeatedly drip a little WD-40 in the intake, plug hole and prop shaft with a bit more turning back and forth until it's loose.  You may have to heat it up a bit more in between the turning and oiling but it should be all right in most cases.

Clamp it with Visegrips!!!!????? Argggg pleeze!!!!! Yer killin me here!!!!!
Randy Ryan <><
AMA 8500
SAM 36 BO all my own M's

Online Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2015, 11:41:46 AM »
Fellow's I gotta OLD Fox 36 ball brng engine that is GUMMED up and I need to clean it without the anti freeze and crock pot method.

What other method do you use?  Thanks a lot

Put the oven on the lowest possible setting, remove any external plastic parts, and put the engine in and let it warm up. It should be nice and loose, oil the heck out of it with Air Tool Oil to flush it.

If it will move, I usually use lacquer thinner in the venturi.

Brett

Offline Jim Carter

• Admiral
« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2015, 12:09:57 PM »
Clamp it with Visegrips!!!!????? Argggg pleeze!!!!! Yer killin me here!!!!!
L.O.L.!!  Yeah man!!  Grab the mounting lug .... heat that puppy up with the heat gun, then rock and roll that prop!!  Won't turn??  Little more heat little more oil and a little more twistin' and turnin'!!   LL~

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here