News:

• March 28, 2024, 02:21:58 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: How do you use a rib slicing jig from Tom Morris  (Read 3426 times)

Offline ringmaster

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Ensign
How do you use a rib slicing jig from Tom Morris
« on: January 23, 2015, 02:56:21 PM »
I bought a rib slicing Jig from Tom Morris, I could not figure out how to use it, does anybody have photos how to use it or write up about it how cut ribs  how to with it. There was no instructions with it how to use it to cut ribs. Thank you. This is great website sure helps me a lot with my control line models.

Offline Leester

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
Re: How do you use a rib slicing jig from Tom Morris
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2015, 03:58:55 PM »
You know that's a rib slicing jig for I beam wings ?? right ??  Get the DVD How to build I beam Wings by Billy Werwage.
Get that from Bob Hunt
Leester
ama 830538

Online Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2015, 05:09:06 PM »
Align the LE of the jig against one end of the sheet of balsa, and the top corners against the near edge of the sheet. Slice. Remove the piece you cut off...it's scrap. Slide the jig up against the curved cut you just made and slice again, and along the ends. You've got your first rib! After a few ribs, start the DVD to goin'.   

FYI, this style rib can be used for both of Tom Morris' wing construction systems.  For the first system, he used sliced ribs to fabricate ribs, sort of like a home-built airplane. His later wing construction system uses sliced ribs, but a full depth main spar with notches for the ribs. The LE then gets sheeted...this is his current technology, I believe. Pretty slick, IMO.  Walter Umland may have a video that will show some of Tom's methods...but I haven't looked in a long time.  :-[ Steve
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Offline ringmaster

• Ensign
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2015, 06:05:05 PM »
Hello Sir, Thank you for the information on the rib slicing jig very kind of you,  I bought it to cut ribs for Sig Twister and Sig Banshee but do when want say ribs for Ringmaster s-1 ribs when all different lengths of ribs. Thanks.

Offline Randy Cuberly

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2015, 06:58:08 PM »
Hello Sir, Thank you for the information on the rib slicing jig very kind of you,  I bought it to cut ribs for Sig Twister and Sig Banshee but do when want say ribs for Ringmaster s-1 ribs when all different lengths of ribs. Thanks.

That rib slicing jig won't work for ringmaster ribs.  Ringmaster ribs have a very different curvature and a slight "Polywog" or reverse curvature where they join the trailing edge.

For those you wil simply need to trace outlines of the Ringmaster ribs onto a sheet of balsa (3/32 thick) then cut them out with a #11 xacto blade, leaving a little extra material outside the traced line then using a sanding block sand each one to the line drawn.

Sounds more difficult than it is.

Randy Cuberly
Randy Cuberly
Tucson, AZ

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2015, 08:46:49 AM »
Ringmaster,  Tom has a book that details all of his wing building procedures or did have at one time.   Contact him as he is a fine gentleman if he is tall.   I will never forget the first time I  met him at the Lubbock NATS when he introduced his self.   By the way that book also has a lot of good info in it.
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Online Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2015, 03:26:44 PM »

It's quite normal for this type rib to be used on tapered wings. What is usually done is to trim the "strip rib" at the TE to be the correct length. After assembly, you'll probably want to add some vertical strips to stiffen the aft part of the rib...1/16 x 1/4 or so. And then after that's done, sand the wing with a long board, moving chordwise mostly, to get the airfoil pretty consistent. Next step is usually to add the LE sheeting, followed by cap strips. 

Some designs use thicker strip ribs and no cap strips or sheeting, such as the Ares, USA-1, etc. If you want to build a "Ringmaster Clone" and don't care if the airfoil is authentic, it will certainly work. It would be legal for flying Classic, but not legal for flying OTS, if you're interested in flying contests. The difference is because OTS designs are supposed to be pretty authentic, but in Classic, there's no rule that provides for a DQ.  H^^ Steve
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Eric Viglione

« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2015, 03:38:14 PM »
That rib slicing jig won't work for ringmaster ribs.  <snip> Randy Cuberly

Oh it'll work for a millennium RM wing, and it will fly so much better that people will think you are cheating, well, because you are.   >:D :o

If you're never going to compete with it, the thought of a RM with a Cavalier airfoil (I'm assuming that is the slicing rib profile you got, since it's one of Tom's most popular, and yes, I have one) gives me goosebumps all over.
Heck, it might even fly almost as good as a Flightstreak!  LL~

OK OK... I'll crawl back under my rock now...
EricV

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2015, 08:33:51 AM »
IS that why I keep getting  beat, because they cheat more than I do. LL~ LL~ LL~  Really anybody that complains about the construction of a plane that is used for flying needs to get a life.  I have compared my built up leading edge for the S-1 Ringmaster to a kit original and the only difference is the weight.   
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Randy Cuberly

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2015, 06:33:49 PM »
The Rib slicing jig in question is made to slice ribs basically like the ones shown in the attached photo on my Collossus.
It could probably be adapted to cut conventional ribs but would require some mirroring of the jig for each rib.

Randy Cuberly
Randy Cuberly
Tucson, AZ

Mike Griffin

« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2015, 01:28:37 PM »
Hi Mr. Ringmaster (could not find your real name)

I had the pleasure of spending a few days with Tom in his shop in Anniston back a few years ago and he taught me how to build Millenium Wings and since then I have built quite a few.  Steve was right, Tom originally cut the rib strips to build ribs from, then he came up with the Lincoln Log Wing and that evolved into the Millenium Wing that he now builds using 1/4" wide rib slices.  It makes an extremely light wing and I usually fully sheet them but it is not necessary.  However, due to the construction of the leading and trailing edge of this type of wing, it is intended to be used on airplanes with flaps.  Tom does build a Ringmaster but uses an entirely different type of rib on it.  He does not construct it using rib slices.  In fact, any flapless model he builds has a full rib he developed.  If you really are interested in learing to build these I beam wings using his Millenium technology or better, call Tom and see if he has any of his Tom's Building Tips books left.  If not, I have a lot of pictures saved on flashdrives I can dig out and send to you.

Mike

Offline ringmaster

• Ensign
« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2015, 04:11:44 PM »
Thank you,  Mike you are very kind., yes I would be interested in learning more about airplane ribs and rib slicing. Thanks my name Edward King I live in Canada.

Mike Griffin

« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2015, 09:20:29 AM »
I will be out of the country for a week but when I get back I will send you by email some information.

Regards
Mike

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here