News:

• April 26, 2024, 09:36:19 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Glow Plug Question  (Read 940 times)

Offline Dick Pacini

• 24 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Glow Plug Question
« on: January 20, 2015, 04:47:42 PM »
Just curious, how often do the majority of contest Top Guns change glow plugs?  For instance, high rollers at the NATS, do they change after every flight? 
AMA 62221

Once, twice, three times a lady.  Four times and she does it for a living.  "You want me on that wall.  You need me on that wall."

Offline Gene Martine

• 2019 supporter
  • Commander
  • Started flying 1952 (AMA 2903)
Re: Glow Plug Question
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2015, 06:27:23 PM »
 #^ #^ #^ #^ #^
Only when needed. At the nat's I'll put in a new plug, I just changed the plug last weekend due to inconsistent runs.
Hope that answer your question.
Gene
  ~> ~> ~>

Offline peabody

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2015, 06:32:44 PM »
Winfred would put a new plug into a plane and fly it two or three times....then he knew that it was good and he would keep it as a spare in case he felt that one was malfunctioning.
A good and proven backup.....

Online Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2015, 09:00:35 PM »
Just curious, how often do the majority of contest Top Guns change glow plugs?  For instance, high rollers at the NATS, do they change after every flight? 

Oh my goodness, no. In fact you never want to do that without the opportunity to test it. I can't speak for anyone else, but I usually change right before I leave for the NATs, and then the first flight, I do some inside and outside loops and listen for any issues, before trying a wingover. After that I leave it alone unless there is a problem. If there is a problem, I switch to the plug I just removed rather than a new one.

Having said all that, I have yet to have any big problem with brand new Thunderbolt 4-cycle plugs (PA and RO-Jett) or Glow-Devil #300 (VF) or McCoy MC55 or 59.  The only "problem" plugs are Fox, which seems to be a QC issue, and Rossi  - which I suggest you NEVER EVER use under any circumstances. The Rossi plugs, no matter which one I try, have very reliable flame-outs, many times with no warning and even on the ground.

Ted crashed his airplane in '90 or '91 with a Rossi that just flamed out, the instant he touched the needle. I was skeptical so I got every variety of Rossi I could find from the big-bore to the one that warned "2.5CC and smaller ONLY!", and every single one of them had the same sorts of problems from varying degress. None of them made it as far as getting released for flight without quitting.

Once I switched to Powermaster fuel, taters are no longer an issue in switching plugs, so near as I can tell there is no significant limit to the life. I can only ever see a small carbon buildup right near the end of the element going to the plug body, and I have put old plugs back in with no problems. I would guess I get at least a few hundred flights with no perceptible degradation.

Brett

Offline Paul Taylor

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
  • If God is your Co-pilot - swap seats!
    • Our Local CL Web Page
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2015, 07:20:30 AM »
Hey Brett
Is this the plug?

Thunderbolt Glow Plug - HP 4 Stroke (& 91+ 2 stroke)

I found it on HobbyPeople.net

Would you happen to have a PN?
Thanks H^^
Paul
AMA 842917

Tight Lines = Fun Times

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here