News:

• April 25, 2024, 06:59:10 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Bob Gieseke Memorial Thread (Request)  (Read 14155 times)

Offline Nathan (Gieseke) Hallford

• Trade Count: (0)
  • New Pilot
Bob Gieseke Memorial Thread (Request)
« on: January 18, 2015, 10:33:01 PM »
Hello,

My name is Nathan Hallford  and I am Bob's grandson.  I read another thread going on about him and just had a small request for anyone that has stories or pictures with/of/anything to share about Bob please put them in this thread.  I would really like to show it to his kids and brother later this week.  They aren't as internet/message forum savvy as I but I'll make sure to relay the info and stories.  I know some of the names I've seen in the other thread as I've heard Bob, Don, and Christy talk about some of you and I want you all to know he truly cared for everyone he talked to at the field.  I think he was more proud of his protégé's doing well then his Championships. 

So please take a few moments to share anything you have about Bear if you can.  Thank you all for your time and condolences.  He will definitely be missed by many.

Thank you,
Nathan

Offline Doug Moon

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Bob Gieseke Memorial Thread (Request)
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2015, 12:51:22 AM »
I am going to go ahead and post my dist column here as well.  I know some of Bob's family might like to see it and I don't think they are PAMPA members.

1/18/2015 is the day Bob Gieseke passed away.  He is no longer with us in person but will live on with many us for the rest of our lives.  He was a special kind of person to say the least.  He had this effect on people that is very hard to describe. On the one hand he was a quiet person and kept to himself doing his thing his way.  But on the other hand when he did have something to say it was always just the right words for that moment.  This type of person only comes along every once in a long while.  We in our stunt community are very blessed to have had him with us in our journey through life and control line and we all know sometimes it seems as though the two are one in the same.  

I have heard many people over the years make statements that he was their childhood hero or that he was a person they looked at on the pages of modeling magazines as a kid in awe of the things he could do with a control line plane.  For me it was a bit different.  I didn’t start flying until I was about 20 or 21.  I was at the flying field one day with my brother Steve destroying a Sterling P-51 and he was on the other circle flying a red plane.  I had never seen a real stunt plane before that day.  I mentioned to Steve that he looked like he knew what he was doing and Steve said, “Yeah he does. That’s Bob Gieseke and that’s his Nobler.” I didn’t know what that meant. And he was smoking a pipe! That was around 1991 or so.  

Over the next several years Steve and I would continue to destroy everything in our paths on the south circle all the while this very quiet yet extremely disciplined gentleman would be flying on the north circle.  We would fly once or twice and he would fly 4 or 5 times by himself.  Or there was another guy with him who seemed to be helping in some way.  Just standing beside the circle watching this guy flight after flight, it seemed odd.  Later I found out that was Jim Young. He would fly some too and Mike Scott was there as well flying and “helping.” I had no clue why they kept watching from the outside at that certain place each time.

From time to time Bob would venture over to our circle and see what we had beaten that day or he might help with a launch here and there if I were by myself.  Later he told me he loved watching the Moons in the early days.  He said he got a kick out of us because we were always having fun and just landing was a huge accomplishment.  He was always helpful and had a smile on his face when he had ventured out to us….
In 1994 I had actually learned the pattern or some semblance of one and I had managed to enter a contest.  At this point I realized what all that standing and watching was all about.  In 1994 I built my first built up model for the 1995 season.  At the beginning of that season Bob and I actually began to fly some sessions together.  He was flying a lot in those days with Jim Young and Mike Scott.  His brother Don would come out sometimes too about a week or so before Bob would head to the nats.  There were always people standing and watching.  

During those early flying sessions with Bob it became very apparent to very quickly his about perfection and each flight had a purpose. At this point I was pretty well versed in his history in the event.  But I still didn’t know the effect he had on this event and his giant footprint he had placed right smack in the middle of it.  I learned early on when it was the right time to talk and it when was the right time to stay quiet.  He kept to himself even in those early sessions.  He knew what he wanted and he knew what he had to do to get there. It was somewhere along here that we became friends.  We began to talk planes and stuff.  Of course I had no clue what was going on at that time and mostly just listened.  I also learned a lot about him and his family and his wife and her terrible tragedy.  To this day I know it was his kids and his modeling that kept him from just throwing in the towel after that tragic event in his life.  We call this a hobby but we know it’s our lives.  This is woven into the fabric of our being and this was never more evident in a person than it was with Bob.

I will never forget that warm evening in 1995 when I first asked him to watch my pattern.  He looked at me and said, “When you start flying 5’ I will start watching your pattern.” I fired up the FP40 and away I went.  I just went on with my flight as normal working the maneuvers as best I could.  I exited the vertical 8 and I heard clapping.  It startled me and looked over and he was on the upwind side standing there clapping.  I had flown my first 5’ bottom.  From then on he would watch from time to time giving me pointers here and there.  Not much but just enough.  Too much and I would have gotten in over my head.  Years later he told me he had been watching long before then and thought I would be a good flier if I stuck with it.

We used to sit for hours on end night after night waiting for the winds to die down just enough to get a flight in at dusk.  Steve and I would pull up and his brown Pontiac and Mike Scott’s choice of van that year would already be there.  They would be waiting for the winds to die off.   Their planes would be out on the circle ready to go.  Those damn easterly winds were and still are hell to pay at Hobby Park in Dallas TX. I heard many stories about trips to the worlds and discussions on designs and motors and pipes and non pipes and handles and on and on.

He worked as weather man at DFW.  He knew clouds and winds like no other.  It was like he could see the wind. I am not kidding.  He used it to his advantage.  I think he used to talk to it, and I am pretty certain he didn’t have very nice things to say sometimes.  When the terminal started to get more electronic weather machines his job changed to a position of monitoring the machines rather than operating them.  This worked out perfectly as he could take cowl blocks to work and carve them there.  Or he could break in motors in the parking lot on clear days.  This guy lived and breathed this stuff.  He was hardcore stunt from sun up to sun down and then some.  

But there was always basketball.  This was his sport.  He loved it.  June is the NBA playoffs.  I remember several times he would land and have his gear in the car and on his way before I would finish my final flight of the evening so he could get back in time for tip off for whatever game was on that night.  And if the Mavericks were playing forget about it he was going to be watching those games.  He also loved to run and was even into cycling for a while.  He was going to ride a 50 mile race when he turned 50 but he said he had crashed on his bike right around the time it was going to happen so he didn’t get to ride but he had proved to himself he could do it.  I never knew Bob when he didn’t have a German Sheppard.  He loved dogs.

I will never forget one day in the spring of 1996 I was flying on the south circle and he and Jim Young were flying on the north circle.  I took off and about half way through the flight they were on the upwind side of my circle.  I finished and they approached and complimented me on my flight and said the piped motor was really helping me.  That was pretty darn cool! I was flying piped OPS at the time in a Buccaneer 746 and I had a darn good season with it.  He told me at the nats that year, “When the flier ahead of you lands your turn has started.  When you walk out of the pits know what you are doing.  Hold the plane tilted a little and walk out there with a purpose.  Your flight is not over until you are back in the pits.” That is how I treat every official flight at the nats to this day.

In 1997 I worked on Bob long enough and he finally let me build one of “his” planes   Bob said Steve and I could come over to his house and pick up his drawings for his plane.  His shop was an extra room right off his den and he had a TV that faced the door so he could watch basketball and baseball while working.  It wasn’t a huge shop but the layout was perfect. It was here that I got a first had look at what building should look like.  If a picture is worth a 1000 words then in your hands is worth more words than there are available.  It was in his shop where I finally learned how he made all those beautiful models look and feel so flawless.  It was there where I figured out what light building really looked like.  I learned how to look at balsa wood.  I learned what a tight joint really is.  Those times in his shop taught me more than even I know.  From that shop he produced true works of art.  He was true craftsman like no other.

With the plans I built my first model from his numbers. It was light and it flew great. I took it to the 1997 Nats and placed 4th in Advanced. Later Mike would take that same design and win Advanced at the Nats.  I noticed at that Nats he showed up for appearance judging almost as they were shutting the doors.  He did that every time.  He would walk in almost late set his plane down and go straight to the pilots meeting.  No messing around. One time we were in a pilots meeting and it was starting to drag on a little, I can’t remember the topic, and Steve nudged me and pointed and Bob was stretched out on the floor in the back just chillin’ and taking a little snooze. It was awesome.

In 2001 he built a Bear using Billy Werwage’s Geo Bolt wing. I got to fly it pretty early on that year and I begged and begged him to let me build one.  Finally he relented and I took a bunch of measurements and pics and used Bob Hunts lost foam jig for the wing and it’s been on ever since.  I always wanted his permission to build a plane he had not publically released so to speak as he seemed so guarded over his designs. Later I learned he was more worried that the designs would fly well for others and he didn’t want them to have a bad experience.  I made a more trips over to his house and he came by mine as well.  I remember in 2004 when he came by and held my 4 month old daughter.

As the years wore on he started coach me and Steve.  He also started to let us coach him.  He had already been working with Mike Scott for some time.  He was a hard coach.  He would stay on you about your mistakes and feed you some positive just when you needed it.  But then it was back to the mistakes again.  Only later would he call and let you know he thought you were doing really well.  But in the heat of practice or battle he was on you.  Steve Fitton reminded me of a really cool time when he was coaching me.  It was the Friday evening practice at the 2012 Nats.  He and his daughter Christy had driven up earlier in the week and he was on the scene talking and watching.  But Friday night he was back in coaching mode. I put in 3 flights.  He said “Don’t let the triangles get to wide. Shorten them up on the bottom and they will be the best ones out there. Don’t do anything to the rest of it. It all looks really good.”  I was expecting a lot more on each maneuver etc.  He later told me the time for that had passed, too much of that the night before the big show might make me freak out.  He always knew how much to say and when to say it.  Like I said people like that only come along every once in a while. I was never more proud in my life to win the nats with him there.  It was a special day in a very a special journey we shared.

Bob also had another really neat quality.  You might go a few weeks or a month without talking to him and then when you do it’s like you were just talking yesterday.  He was such a real genuine person.  He was control line to the end.  A couple of weeks ago Steve and I went to see him in the hospital.  We walked in and he looked up with a smile and said, “You aren’t going electric are you?”  I just smiled and said I am going to stay with the PAs as long as I can.  That’s Bob, straight on topic all the time.

I didn’t know Bob Gieseke as a man who had won all those championships and taken home all that hardware.  Or as the guy who had one of the most successful CLPA designs of all time in the Top Flight Gieseke Nobler.  I knew him as a guy I flew with ALL the time, as a guy I competed with ALL the time, as a guy who taught me so much about modeling, flying, and life.  I knew him as a friend.  I will miss my friend.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2015, 11:23:51 AM by Doug Moon »
Doug Moon
AMA 496454
Dougmoon12@yahoo.com

Offline ptg

• 2014 Supporters
  • Commander
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2015, 10:29:48 AM »
All to often we wait until someone we admire is gone to say the good things about them.  To me that just doesn’t make sense so many years ago I started letting those people know how and why I admire them.  To that end I would like to share a letter I wrote to Bob almost two years ago and my April 1974 Round & Round column in Model Airplane News which I sent to Bob with that letter.  The record shows that Bob did indeed win the World Championship.  That column would have been written and submitted for publication almost exactly 41 years ago to this date.

RIP my friend…and thanks again!
Phil Granderson

Hi Bob,

I wanted to take some time to write and tell you something you may or may not know. In
the interest of clarity I won’t use a lot of words or weave any long yarn. So let’s cut to
the chase.

We’ve never had any lengthy talks or voiced opinions or views on much.

To me you are and have always been the definition of ‘Artist’ in control line stunt. I first
saw you fly at the ’68 Nats in Olathe. The picture is as crisp in my mind today as it was
then. It just seemed like there was ‘Bob’ and then there was everybody else. The big red
Easy-Just handle, the red airplane, the pipe and that damn Fox engine spitting, gagging
and coughing all over the sky. It was you against them and even the pundits couldn’t
resist your Artistry.

You were and have been THE INSPIRATION that always kept me interested in the
whole stunt menagerie despite my lengthy adventures in combat and life in general.
To be sure, there have been other champions and even a couple of others who might
arguably have been dubbed Artist. However, to me there is only one ‘Artist’ and that is
Bob Gieseke.

If you didn’t know my impression of you, now you do. If you somehow already knew,
then I am just being redundant and unfortunately that’s not the only thing I’ve been
called.

Thanks for the visual explanation to a 19 year old kid who was just trying to make some
sense of it all.

I sincerely hope this finds you in very good spirits, smiling and makes this day just a little
better for you.

Phil
P.T. Granderson

P.S. I wanted to write this in good old long hand but thanks to the last 28 years of
computer keyboards, when I tried to pen, I had to scratch out too many words and
couldn’t read it myself.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
See attached PDF file.
PT Granderson

Offline Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2015, 10:37:53 AM »
   You don't grow up at the time I did and fly control line models and not know who Bob Gieseke was. Like lots of people I always saw his name and picture in the magazines in coverage of the NATS and the World Championships. In almost every sport of competitive endeavor there are people whose name and face are considered icons of the event. I think that describes Mr Gieseke perfectly. I got to meet him when he first made a trip to VSC in Tucson, and he would sometimes stop in St. Louis on his way to the NATS to put in some flights at Buder Park. I think he had some family in the area here? He and the Texas Gang came to our Broken Arrow Stunt and Scale contest one year and that really made the weekend. Just truly a gentleman and role model for anyone. I wish I could have gotten to know him further. In thinking about him after learning of his passing, if there was one person that was responsible for setting the bar a little higher and taking the event to the next level on it's evolution to where it is today, it would have to be Bob Gieseke. The relentless passion and pursuit of perfection and setting standard of what it would take to reach the pinocle of the event, and still be loved and revered by everyone that picked up a handle and tried to put in a decent pattern. I am very glad I got to meet someone like that.
  Sincerely,
  Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824
AMA 480405 (American Motorcyclist Association)

• New Pilot
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2015, 11:21:49 AM »
 There will be a very short graveside service on Saturday at 11 AM

Graveside service will be at :
Mount Auburn Cemetery, Greenville, IL 62246.  It is off Idler Ln in Greenville.

Update, there will no longer be a viewing.  All our invited for the short graveside service and then a small luncheon after that will be provided for everyone to spend time and visit with family.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2015, 05:12:11 PM by Nathan (Gieseke) Hallford »

Offline Gene Martine

• 2019 supporter
  • Commander
  • Started flying 1952 (AMA 2903)
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2015, 01:13:42 PM »
Working on getting more pictures of Bob starting from the 2004 nationals.
Gene

Offline Chris McMillin

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
  • AMA 32529
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2015, 01:43:15 PM »
Dear Nathan,

I knew Bob from when I was a little boy through my Dad, Jerry McMillin's participation in Stunt. I met Bob in the 60's and would see him every year at the Nats. It was a time when the Nationals were a real big deal and people would renew their friendships every year as they came from all over the country to compete. When I flew in the Nats as an adult in the 80's I renewed that friendship easily, mosly because of Bob's easygoing style. He was a fine man, willing to give and had a nice disposition.
One of the greatest times I recall for me in my Stunt flying was when I was flying well at the 1992 Nats and Bob Gieseke, Dave Geirke, Jim Silhavy and my Dad were all hanging around after the contest flying was finished watching me and my friend Dave Eyskens practice flight after flight. These guys just hung out for hours telling old stories and enjoying themselves as they watched us practice like they used to do, but relaxing and cutting up because they didn't have to anymore. They smiled and laughed, and when Bob was leaving he said to me that he thought I was going to, "do some good tomorrow", that being finals day. It impressed me that he would say something so nice, and a boost to my confidence.
I had a similar thing happen at VSC some years later where he had watched me fly an official flight with a borrowed model I hadn't flown before and commented on my doing such a fine job with it. I was always so pleased and filled with pride when Bob complimented me because of his enormous accomplishments in CL Stunt. It made me happy to know him, and want to be around him.
My father judged at the team trials for the 1972 US Team and your Grandfather won a berth on the team. Dad was an airline pilot and respected your grandfather very much in his airline dispatcher profession. I think also because dad and Bob were from southern Illinois (we're from Lawrenceville) and moved on to the "Big City", where ever that may be for each man, they had a lot in common. Dallas for Bob and Los Angeles for dad. I always enjoyed the stories about that Team Trials contest (I could not go because of school) and there will always be a place in my heart for Bob Gieseke because of these and many other stories.
So sorry your grandpa is gone, Nathan. We all loved him.
Please tell the family our deepest sympathies are with them,

Chris McMillin   Pacific Palisades, California
Jerry McMillin   Huntington Beach, California  

Offline Gene Martine

• 2019 supporter
  • Commander
  • Started flying 1952 (AMA 2903)
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2015, 02:19:15 PM »
Found some more pictures. If you would like to have any of the pictures in a larger form, contact me via e-mail.
We'll all miss a great person.
Gene

Offline SteveMoon

• 2013 Supporter
  • Captain
    • www.ultrahobbyproducts.com
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2015, 02:27:20 PM »
Nathan: I don't really even know where to start with my 'Mr. Bob' stories, there are so many.
He was a true gentleman, friend, mentor, competitor, motivator, and legend. I am truly saddened
by his passing.

When my brother Doug and I first started going to Hobby Park in Dallas on a regular basis in
the early 1990s it seemed like Bob was always there, pounding in flight after flight. We didn't really
know what he was doing, but we sure knew it looked cool. I knew who he was from reading the model
airplane magazines as a kid, and I couldn't believe he was right there. Years later, after becoming
friends Bob told me (with his quite chuckle, of course) that he always got a kick out of watching Doug
and I because, as he said: 'Those Moon brothers a hoot'. I'll never forget that.

He taug us more than we could have ever hoped to learn about this hobby/sport/passion. When
I am building a plane, no matter the type, I always ask myself: How would Bob do it. Because, in
my mind, if Bob did something a certain way, then it was the right way.

As I've progressed over the years in my building and flying skills I've still always asked myself: 'Is this
good enough for Bob?'. If I have built a plane or flown a pattern that Bob approved of, then I have
Accomplished something. At my first Nats in 1996 I was so nervous on my first flight that my hand
was shaking and I actually left out the level laps after takeoff before going right into the wingover.
Over the years, the countless contests, the thousands of flights that nervousness has disappeared.
Unless, Bob was watching. I so badly wanted to perform well in front of Bob that I would have to
make a great effort to control my emotions. It even happened this past year at the Nats, my 19th
consecutive. After putting up many practice flights and a few officials Bob came out to watch us fly
on Thursday evening. I was just getting ready to start my motor when he and Christy came walking
up. He casually set down his chair and then settled in. By the time I got out to the handle my hand
was shaking. I managed to calm myself and put in a decent flight and Bob gave me a couple of
pointers, but said he thought it was overall a good flight. Whew!!

At the 2013 Nats Bob, Christy, Doug and Mike Scott were all watching my first official flight. Of
course I was a bit nervous with Bob there, but I was able to concentrate and put in what I thought
was a pretty good flight. I was actually smiling as I took my plane off the circle. When I finally got
up the courage to walk ove and ask Bob what he thought I couldn't believe what he said: 'That's the
best flight I've ever seen you fly'. Hearing that felt great!

My proudest moment in this long journey happened at the 2010 Nats. I was judging Open and
Advanced that year, as my new plane was not ready. I did fly in Classic, though. And, of course,
I flew a Gieseke Nobler. Powered by a reworked Thunder Tiger 36 this was a great flying plane.
After a tough first round flight in air so still I think we may have been in a vacuum I was in second
place, but about ten points off the pace. In the second round there was just enough wind to clean
up the air and I was able to put in a very good flight. My son Jake and my Dad were there and
they both said was a great flight. I managed to prevail and won the contest, and in second place
was Allen Goff flying a.......Gieseke Nobler. A Gieseke Nobler 1 - 2! Allen and I later took a picture
with Bob and our Gieseke Noblers. Bob signed a copy for me, and I still have it on the shelf
right by my dining table.

You'll be missed Bob.

Steve

Offline Dale Barry

• New Pilot
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2015, 02:43:45 PM »
I spent my entire youth wanting to fly stunt, but it wasn't until I was in my 30s that I actually got to fly in contests. I met Bob in 1990 at Derek's first Nats and I'll never forget the first thing he said to us. He watched Derek fly a pattern and came over and asked Derek where he lived, Derek said Georgia, and Bob said, too bad , if you lived in Texas I'd get your name on the Walker Cup. I'll never forget that. It's only in the last ten years that I really got to know him and I wish I had more time. Those evenings at the Nats in Randy Smith's room with him and Les McDonald and Billy Werwage telling stories of Worlds trips was priceless. I just wish I'd had a video camera going, it was unbelievable. He's one of the most incredible people I've ever been fortunate to know. Bob, you will be missed. 

Offline dale gleason

• 23 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2015, 02:47:27 PM »
I can't say much, but I relate to those who got nervous flying in front of Bob.

I was up first that morning, Bob sitting casually in his chair, and of course, I flew absolutely terribly. As I brought my plane back, I guess I looked pretty dejected. Bob gave that little smile and said not to be upset, he never watches anyone's first flight of the day.

Great. Now I've got to fly the second one.....

dg

Offline Louis Rankin

• Commander
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2015, 03:38:27 PM »
Very genuine and humble man.

Louis Rankin
Somerville Tennessee
AMA 10859

Offline Mike Keville

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2015, 04:16:26 PM »
Here is a copy of the oil painting I did of Bob.  It appeared on the cover of 'Stunt News', Mar/Apr 2010, and was based on a photo sent here by Don Hutchinson.  The original was presented to Bob, via his daughter Christy, at the VSC banquet that year.
FORMER member, "Academy of Multi-rotors & ARFs".

Offline john grigsby

• New Pilot
« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2015, 05:05:17 PM »
My name is John Grigsby--where to start-I 've known Bob since the 90's--He used to come into a hobbyshop I worked at then, and we met and became friends. I started going to Hobby Park in Dallas to see him fly and met all sorts of characters like ,the Moon bros., Mike Scott( Bob's flying buddy) and many others. All this led to me getting to know him quite well. We (the shop) started getting really LITE balsa wood from Sig at the time. We started ordering some for him. He liked it SO much that he named it LTA wood. That stands for " lighter than air". Even Sig put that name on our orders.

I started flying control around that period and would go fly w/everyone at Hobby Park. Eventually i learned the pattern and would occasionally fly w/ Bob.(which intimidated me because I was really bad at it). One day I noticed he would come over to watch EVERY time I went up.I knew he was a world champ and could not for the life of me figure out WHY this man did this? Finally i worked enough nerve to ask him. He looked at me from his chair and smiled-"you know John, when you fly, I just never know what's going to happen!"and then busted out laughing very loud as did everyone there. Made me feel like a million bucks that he cared and was having fun w/me!

Years later, I became a Nats judge and he told me many times how proud he was and what a good job he thought I was doing-I will always remember that along with the wry smile,the pipe, and Bob's NEVER ending quest to fly a perfect pattern--In his word's "God couldn't fly a 40 point maneuver" He was quite a Legend for ALL of us in Dallas and I will miss him forever!---Maybe God will let him have his 40 point perfect pattern in heaven-God bless you Bob!

One last thing-I got very sick at the Nats one year--he stayed w/ me for a long time in my motel room until I finally went to sleep-You just can't put words on that-but, that's how special he was! A brilliant human being!

• New Pilot
« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2015, 05:18:25 PM »
All these stories and pictures are very touching to read.  I appreciate all of them.

I made an update that the family has decided against a viewing but the graveside service will still be happening.  I also know there will be some sort of event in the spring for the "airplane group" so I hope to meet those who can attend in the spring when we have some sort of memorial event. 

Thank you again.

Offline wwwarbird

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
« Reply #15 on: January 19, 2015, 05:25:44 PM »

I never had the pleasure of meeting Bob, but ever since I first discovered C/L modeling he has always been an inspiration to me. His "Bear" design, in my mind, is one of the most iconic C/L designs of all time. I probably first noticed Bob's name in the mid or late 70's when I use to literally wear out the school library copies of Model Airplane News by reading and re-reading them over and over again. Bob Gieseke has always been one of "The Names" that I've considered one of the "Gods" of our hobby/sport. My condolences to all friends and family. 
Narrowly averting disaster since 1964! 

Wayne Willey
Albert Lea, MN U.S.A. IC C/L Aircraft Modeler, Ex AMA member

Offline Will Hinton

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • www.authorwillhinton.com
« Reply #16 on: January 19, 2015, 06:56:10 PM »
What a privilege to have gotten to know Bob and to call him friend!!  He was the kind of gentleman who treated everyone as though they were the top of the heap.
He expressed his passion for stunt once when four of us took him along to the ranch out west of Muncie to practice on the paved circle there.  As we joked and prodded each other while unloading the planes, one of the guys asked Bob if he had ever considered remarrying.
His answer was priceless.  He said he had seen a few ladies who were nice, and one in particular was a very close friend.  However, and this is the way he told it, "She called me one day and suggested we go somewhere that day and I told her I couldn't I was going flying.  When she said, 'Didn't you just do that last week?' I knew that just wasn't going to work out!"
We all just about rolled on the ground!  He had that wonderful little boy smile and glint in his eye that just broke you up when he said it.
another time I treasure was when he nailed me, once again with that glint and smile.  I was flying my first PA 65 after flying a 61 for quite some time.  I was exstolling how I really liked the 65 so much over the 61 because of this and that, but then commented that I really couldn't nail down one particular reason why I preferred it.  Are you ready for this?  Remember, the glint in the eyes and smile were there as he said very simply, "It's called horespower, Will."
I had many chances at several nats to hang out and visit with this wonderful human being and treasure the knowlege that I could call him friend.  I just wish more people could be like Bob and many of this world's problems would be solved!!
John 5:24   www.fcmodelers.com

Offline Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #17 on: January 19, 2015, 08:02:54 PM »
Dear Nathan;
    If you have never gone to the flying field with your grandfather and experienced a stunt contest, I encourage you to attend one as soon as you can and meet some of these guys. Especially the Nationals. As well as you may think you knew your grandfather, it's a real eye opener to see him through the eyes of all his friends and admirers. I lost my younger brother a few years ago, someone I had known my whole life. He had moved from the St. Louis area to Atlanta, Georgia not long after high school to a new job and a new life. 37 years later when he passed away, I went south for a memorial service my sister in-law had for him there. I was overwhelmed by the number of friends from his time down there that attended and the stories they told me. It was seeing him through someone elses eyes. There was lots about him that I knew, but lots more that I did not. Bob left agreat legacy behind for his family and for the stunt world. I hope you can get a chance to see and meet the result of all his help and kindness.
   Best regards,
   Dan McEntee

AMA 28784
EAA  1038824
AMA 480405 (American Motorcyclist Association)

Online RC Storick

• Forum owner
  • Administrator
  • Admiral
  • The finish starts with the first piece of wood cut
    • Stunt Hangar
« Reply #18 on: January 19, 2015, 08:06:13 PM »
All these stories and pictures are very touching to read.  I appreciate all of them.

I made an update that the family has decided against a viewing but the graveside service will still be happening.  I also know there will be some sort of event in the spring for the "airplane group" so I hope to meet those who can attend in the spring when we have some sort of memorial event. 

Thank you again.

Gary Hajek and I are planning to be there.
AMA 12366

Offline Mike Keville

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #19 on: January 19, 2015, 08:48:57 PM »
Too far to travel, but I'll be there in spirit.
FORMER member, "Academy of Multi-rotors & ARFs".

Offline Robertc

• Commander
« Reply #20 on: January 19, 2015, 08:58:39 PM »
My first contest I ever saw was 1968 in Shreveport, LA.  I knew the name Bob Gieseke, but had never seen a picture.  I saw a red Nobler
flying and asked this guy who was flying this white with blue trim Bearcat if that flying the Nobler was Bob Gieseke.  It was.  I was in total awe.
(A year later I found out I had asked Al Rabe, unknown to most at the time) At 12 years old, I was too scared to try and talk to him.
It wasn't until I picked up C/L again  in 1993 and started going to contests that I saw Bob again.  First talked to him in Dallas in 1994 - same year
I met the Moon brothers.  I got to talk to Bob many times at the contests and asked questions.  I remember asking which World Championship
was the best one he attended.  I was thinking that he would say he liked this country, or this one was organized best, but he response was
pure Bob.  He said the best one was the one he won. (with a big grin on his face)
He may have been called The Bear, but one of the nicest gentleman that I ever had the pleasure knowing.

Robert Compton

Offline Colin Collyer

• New Pilot
« Reply #21 on: January 19, 2015, 11:10:11 PM »
There was Elvis for the rock n roll guys, and Bob Gieseke for the stunt guys
 RIP Bob

Offline Allen Goff

• Charter Member
  • Admiral
    • Fellowship of Christan modelers
« Reply #22 on: January 20, 2015, 06:07:37 AM »
Roger Wildman and myself will be there Fri. and maybe Mike McHenry and Wesley Dick will travel with us too.
Blessings Allen

Online Bob Hunt

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #23 on: January 20, 2015, 07:21:54 AM »
Tom Niebuhr called me on Sunday evening with the devastating news of the passing of Bob. It took me a couple of days just to process that information and fully realize that we now live in a world without Bob Gieseke.

Bob was a constant in many of our lives. He set standards which many of us would strive and struggle to achieve. And, those standards were not just for perfection of model airplane flight, but rather for the whole package. Bob was first and foremost a gentleman's gentleman. He set standards for courtesy, helpfulness, decency, fairness and humility.

As a flier he set standards for work ethic, style, diligence, poise, grit, and longevity in a sport that often favors the next "new thing." Bob's "act" rarely changed, and it played well for more than four decades. My  impression of his flying the first time I watched him go through the pattern until the last time I saw him fly remains the same - professional. No one had a more distinctive flying style than did Bob.

Bob set standards for insuring the future of the event by helping anyone and everyone who would but ask. The flying sessions I had with Bob over the years at the Nats, and at the World Championships we attended as fellow team members, were like advanced classes in stunt flying. He never forced his opinion on me; he always asked if I wanted to hear what he had to say about something in my pattern before offering advice. I always accepted! And, his advice was always spot on. I learned a lot from Bob about presentation, pace and flow of the pattern. In recent years Bob was delighted that one of his proteges, Doug Moon, attained the mantle of National Champion. I think he was more proud of that than of his own five Nats wins. I saw the absolute joy in his eyes when Doug was presented the Walker Trophy in 2012.

And, I remember Bob standing right next to me for more than an hour during the last round of the World Championships in Woodvale, England. He was not in contention for the win, but I was leading and there were a couple of fliers who had a mathematical chance to beat me. Bob knew they really didn't have that chance, and wanted to be the first to congratulate me. I told him that it would have to wait until the last score was in. He stayed glued to my side until the last score was tallied and posted and then gave me a huge "Bear" hug.

Bob would watch everyone's patterns. When he saw a good one, he always would go over to the pilot who flew it and praise the flight. When he didn't like the pattern, and was asked about it by the pilot, he would be equally honest about its quality... Bob's praise was genuine when given.

Back when I was producing video programs I called and asked Bob if he would agree to me stopping by and shooting a segment with him. In true Bob Gieseke manner he questioned if anyone would be interested in watching that. He really didn't think he had anything to offer...  It was a wonderful segment that was shot with harsh light (my bad) on his living room couch. Once I got him talking about his favorite subject, stunt, the  information and the great stories just flowed out of him. I plan on watching that segment again just as soon as I post this.

Bob was never political. He disdained any discord within the event. However, when asked in private about his thoughts he was not shy to show his displeasure with something that annoyed him. He just never acted on those feelings in public. He had tremendous reverence for the sport and never wanted to disrupt the harmony.

One of the most pleasurable things for me in remembering Bob is the close friendship that he and my son, Robby, had together. Robby eventually started calling Bob his "second father." I think Bob thought of Robby as a third son...

Truly, if this event were ever to have a single icon to represent all the values it encompasses, it would in my mind be the image of Bob Gieseke.
And, in my opinion, the word "Champion" could well have been invented just to describe this gentle and amazing man.

Godspeed my old and dear friend; I will miss you constantly, but I now choose not to mourn you, but rather celebrate your life and your life's accomplishments.  You were, and always will be Stunt.

Bob Hunt
« Last Edit: January 20, 2015, 08:05:17 AM by Bob Hunt »

• New Pilot
« Reply #24 on: January 20, 2015, 07:45:23 AM »
Roger Wildman and myself will be there Fri. and maybe Mike McHenry and Wesley Dick will travel with us too.
Blessings Allen
Allen,

I sent you a PM but there is no longer a service Friday. 

All those that wish to attend Saturday feel free to call me 469 261 5351.

Email from my mom

"still wrapping up a few loose ends...but....

graveside service in Mt Auburn Cemetery in Greenville IL on Saturday, with a 'celebration of life' immediately following...

flowers can be sent to Mt Auburn Cemetery, or donations can be made to Feed the Children..

https://donate.feedthechildren.org/donation/bd1b6928/

feel free to share this with everyone/anyone.  let me know if you have questions
"

Offline Derek Barry

• Admiral
« Reply #25 on: January 20, 2015, 09:01:51 AM »
 Like Bob H. it has taken some time for me to process the loss of such a great friend. Having known him for most of my life I always looked at Bob like another father figure, even though I only saw him once or twice a year. He was always very supportive of me and we had many long discussions sitting on the L-pad watching other people fly. He always made a point to watch me fly and I would either get a thumbs up from him or he would, in his own way, let me know that I had not met his expectations and that I needed to get back out there and show him a good pattern. I have so many fond memories and stories from my time around Bob but I think some of my favorite things were just being around him when he was flying. His routine of throwing his tach and battery after he started his plane always brought a smile to my face. I enjoyed having to track them down after launching him, sometimes they were 10 to 15 foot outside the circle. I always thought that one day he would take an innocent bystander out with a wildly thrown battery. Or the time he was flying and put his pipe in his back pocket without checking to see if the embers were out. It only took a few laps for him to realize that his back pocket was on fire... He was know for his witty one liners and could almost always be counted on for a laugh. As many people have said, he was the true champion of control line stunt and he will be forever missed. I hope they have plenty of fuel in heaven, God knows they will need it now. Godspeed Bob!

Derek

Offline Shultzie

• Admiral
  • Don Shultz "1969 Nats Sting Ray"
« Reply #26 on: January 20, 2015, 03:29:35 PM »
Hello,

My name is Nathan Hallford  and I am Bob's grandson.  I read another thread going on about him and just had a small request for anyone that has stories or pictures with/of/anything to share about Bob please put them in this thread.  I would really like to show it to his kids and brother later this week.  They aren't as internet/message forum savvy as I but I'll make sure to relay the info and stories.  I know some of the names I've seen in the other thread as I've heard Bob, Don, and Christy talk about some of you and I want you all to know he truly cared for everyone he talked to at the field.  I think he was more proud of his protégé's doing well then his Championships.  

So please take a few moments to share anything you have about Bear if you can.  Thank you all for your time and condolences.  He will definitely be missed by many.

Thank you,
Nathan
My favorite photo of Bob
More to follow! My scanner is not working correctly...Looks like I have to resize them and so pleased to see so many of us who had the luck and chance to met and enjoy Bob Gieseke.
 He will not be forgotten. Till we meet him again as the scriptures have beautifully promised.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2015, 03:48:01 PM by Shultzie »
Don Shultz

Offline Shultzie

• Admiral
  • Don Shultz "1969 Nats Sting Ray"
« Reply #27 on: January 20, 2015, 03:33:55 PM »

This was taken at the 67 Nationals. Truly these three flyers deserved and took home all the winning hardware EZ to see our Bob in this photo with his trademark competiton Pipe in place.
 H^^
« Last Edit: January 20, 2015, 03:52:04 PM by Shultzie »
Don Shultz

Offline Air Ministry .

• Admiral
« Reply #28 on: January 20, 2015, 06:25:32 PM »

Built one of these in 75 from the sketch in the mag. ( other issue ) @ 43 Oz with muffler ( OS 30 ) & 1/4 oz. tailweight .
Thus a 15 yr old got to fly ' Wot the World Champion Flew ' at the same weight , up the cement water resivoir .

Notta the badda view , from up there . However one mustnt have lapses of attention over concrette .

Not into Idols  , but He was definately a King Pin . H^^

Offline Doug Moon

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #29 on: January 20, 2015, 07:45:40 PM »
This weekend Mike Scott and I went to the field and got in some stunt.

Mike flew his new plane and I flew last years model.  

I remember during my first flight I could hardly concentrate on what I was doing.  I kept thinking about and hearing what he would have said.  This was a very weird day of flying for me and I know it was for Mike as well.  

Bob has been with me from day one.  He was there when Steve and I first flew that plane all those years ago, well Steve flew it and I crashed the hell out of it.  But he was there.  He was always there.  Even later when he was no longer able to come to the field I knew he was looking at the weather and thinking about flying or trim setups or what have you.  I would call after a session and he would ask how it went and say he had been wondering if we were out there.

Yesterday was the first day he was no longer there....

« Last Edit: January 20, 2015, 08:05:48 PM by Doug Moon »
Doug Moon
AMA 496454
Dougmoon12@yahoo.com

Offline Damian Paten

• Ensign
« Reply #30 on: January 21, 2015, 02:36:24 AM »
That man is a true legend.
I was and still am a massive fan of his.
Thank you for what you did for our hobby Bob.

Regards.
Damian.

• New Pilot
« Reply #31 on: January 21, 2015, 07:47:25 AM »
Obituary:

Robert Charles Gieseke, 82, passed away on January 18, 2015 in Texas.  Bob grew up in Greenville, Illinois during the 1930’s and 1940’s.
Bob is survived by his 3 children: daughter, Christy Hallford of Irving, Texas; son, Joe and daughter-in-law, Janet Gieseke of Nashville, Tennessee; and son, Max Gieseke of Highland, Illinois.  He is also survived by his 3 grandchildren: Diane (Kenny) Walters, Nathan Hallford, and Kristen Nielsen; 2 great grandsons: Corbin and Tripp Nielsen; and his brother, Don and sister-in-law, Linda Ann Gieseke. He is preceded in death by his wife, Anna Mae (Bassett) Gieseke, daughter, Linda Rae Gieseke and his parents.

Bob was born on October 20, 1932 to Edna Catherine (Bieker) and Herbert Charles Gieseke, in Highland, IL. Bob lived in Greenville during his early years and was the captain of his high school basketball team. He graduated from the Spartan College of Aeronautics and Technology in Tulsa, OK and later served 2 years in the US Air Force as a meteorologist during the Korean War. Bob married Anna Mae Bassett in 1952. They later moved to Irving, TX when he took a job of meteorology with Braniff International Airlines.

Bob was an avid Control Line Stunt flyer throughout his entire life. He was a five time USA National Champion, the World Champion in 1974 when he competed in Czechoslovakia, and was a USA Team Member for International competition 7 times. Bob was inducted into the Precision Aerobatics Model Pilots Association (PAMPA) Modelers Hall of Fame in 1994.

Graveside services will be held at Mt Auburn Cemetery in Greenville IL on Saturday, January 24th at 11AM.
Mt. Auburn Cemetery
1647 E. College Ave
Greenville, IL 62246

A celebration of Bob’s life will be held immediately after the burial service at the Bradford Bank Community Building in Greenville, 111 N. First Street, Greenville, IL  62246.

Flowers may be sent to the Mt. Auburn Cemetery or donations may be made to Bob’s favorite charity:
Feed the Children
P.O. Box 36
Oklahoma, OK
73101-0036
1-800-627-4556

Everyone that has sent/posted/shared anything, this is greatly appreciated.  I've been forwarding several stories to the family that have brought a lot of smiles to our faces during this time.  I hope to see some of you that can make it Saturday and definitely all those in DFW in the spring. 

Offline Paul Walker

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #32 on: January 21, 2015, 05:27:25 PM »
Like others Bob was one of my boyhood heroes/idols. When I started flying at the Nationals Bob was usually there. I totally enjoyed seeing him fly as well as he did with those Fox 35 powered planes. Most impressive. In the "82 Nat's, I was flying for a shot at my first top 5 finish. There were several other competitors watching my last flight and it was good until the clover. A gust of wind caught the plane and sent it way off course. That mishap cost me a top five spot and I ended up eleventh. I was very disappointed. I had barely rolled up my lines and there was Bob there to tell me how good I was flying and how sorry he was about what happened. I was very touched that he would so quickly come to my side when he barely knew me. I really appreciated that act.

Then the next year, I did make my first top 5, and finished second, and beat Bob as a result. I was setting off to the side when all of a sudden there was Bob sitting beside me, He proceeded to tell me how impressed he was with my flying, and he KNEW that I was going to win some day. Once again, just the right words at just the right time.

Later on at the '92 Nat's at the exact same site, I had won my fifth Nat's, equaling Bob's record. I was on cloud nine. Then it was Bob who suggested that we take a picture of the two of us together with our signature planes. That was real class. I didn't think I could get any higher, but Bob had done it again. I was scheduled to go the the world championships a month later. Bob knew this and then instantly started telling me all about the site we were going to. It turns out that is where he had won in '74. He told me that I was going to win there as well. I kept that in the back of my mind and did end up winning there. There was no doubt in my mind that his pep talk helped me out. Thanks Bob!

As the years passed, when I would see him at the Nat's he would always have something positive and spot on the subject to tell me. I always appreciated his "talks". I will miss seeing and talking to Bob. He was and still is one of my heroes.

Paul Walker

Offline PJ Rowland

• AUS - 29541 AMA - 809970
  • Admiral
  • Melbourne - AUSTRALIA
« Reply #33 on: January 21, 2015, 08:06:30 PM »
Bob was so very humble.

When I competed in the us nats in 2011 I was flying a stock 69 gieseke nobler, painted in bobs version of his 2004 bear. I had a .61 rear exhaust and flew well enough to qualify for top 20 day.

Bob was a judge for one of my  qualification flights and I was so nervous flying his design id shoehorned a big bore engine into. I was afraid hed think I had tainted the intention of the original in some unforgivable fashion. However it was the exact opposite,  he loved the concept and execution ( bob always loved more grunt!) He privatly told me id improved on the design and he would have won 'a few more' if the technology was available and he wanted to build exactly what I had. We exchanged information and I gave what advice I could  on how to proceed. (Which is like telling michael Schumacher how to drive..) I doubt anything I said was useful he was so skilled.

He told me last year he was sorry his health had prevented him from being able to build one and he seemed genuinely sad in some way that he had not been able to build something he said he would or 'experience that plane with that motor' which he was so farmilar with.

Bob was proud at the time that his little red 69 design was still able to put up a good show, telling me ' the last guy to make top 20 with a gieseke nobler was himself'

He added that he won it that year and dont let him down!

I didnt win but developed a friendship and unique bond, he signed the wing and it sits on my wall with a photo of us both standing
together.

I debated if to fly it again but I know bob would always want a plane in the sky. So I will continue to fly it at contests and think of you each time I take off.

Take care mate.. george is waiting to settle that score.

Pj. Australia.

If you always put limit on everything you do, physical or anything else. It will spread into your work and into your life. There are no limits. There are only plateaus, and you must not stay there, you must go beyond them.” - Bruce Lee.

I Yearn for a world where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned.

Offline Ted Fancher

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #34 on: January 23, 2015, 05:46:16 PM »
Like so many.  The news of Bob's passing was like taking a slice out of the majority of my life.  As a mentor, a competitor and a friend Bob excelled like few others in the hobby.  I've noticed while watching and reading that I had seen glimpses of a great deal of Bob's life as well although we never spent the hours together that have others who were blessed to be truly close to him.  Shultzy's picture of Bob, Dick Mathis and Bart Klanski (I know, I know...it's Klapinski but...we're talking about friends here so there's a certain amount of latitude that just comes naturally) at the 1967 Nats was also a snapshot of my first opportunity to watch the great flier fly.  That I would eventually compete against him with occasional success was the farthest thing from my mind at the time, trust me.  He wasn't yet a legend but legends start with their first chapters and I had seen that.

I'm going to post three pictures that will apparently take three posts to load.  The first is one of my favorite airplane pictures that included Bob.  He was picking up my Temptation sometime back in the late '80s; probably the first year I competed with it as it still had the original ST .46 in it.  The picture is special to me because Bob had probably picked up a couple thousand different stunt ships by this time of his career but this was the first time he had picked up one of mine to just look at it.  That he took the time to do so meant a lot to me then and I look now at the weathered original of this picture on a sliding cabinet door in my sloppy shop the last week or so with just a bit of sadness mixed with  my fond remembrance of the event itself.

Typically of Bob, he had a nice comment about the Temptation, tempered with a dry wit.  Not visible in this picture but as will be clear in the next post, the Temptation was the first of my airplanes to utilize dual air exhausts in the top of the fuse ostensibly to "cool the crankcase."

Bob's comment was: "Yuh know, Ted.  Those two holes are worth at least twenty points!"  The weren't, of course, but what a nice way to say "nice ship" with a wink.   Bob was good at that.

Ted Fancher

Offline Ted Fancher

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #35 on: January 23, 2015, 06:03:40 PM »
Here's the second picture of Bob and the Temptation posted primarily because it shows the left air outlet on the top of the fuse that Bob twerked into a cute compliment.  Always a class act!

Offline Ted Fancher

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #36 on: January 23, 2015, 06:41:21 PM »
One last post to share a picture (Taken by Big Art in 1982 and named "The Trio" by him) that's my second favorite stunt picture ever showing a different side of a cool guy.  This picture shows three of my favorite stunt people...two of whom are in the PAMPA Hall of Fame" and one of whom starred in many a Jr/Sr stunt flyer's dreams.  My lovely wife Shareen on the left, the lovely Mz Marie Adamisin on the right...and the Bear being a true Grizzly in the middle with a possessive arm around each.

I've never been able to look at this picture without getting a big grin on my face and thinking to myself; "Get your mitts off my woman, Gieseke!"  I would've expected his response to be..."just a minute!"

The stunt world lost a great one.

God bless his family and always remember how many others loved and admired him.

Ted Fancher
« Last Edit: January 23, 2015, 07:49:42 PM by Ted Fancher »

Offline Curt D Contrata

• Commander
« Reply #37 on: January 25, 2015, 11:12:35 AM »
So much has been already said about the Bear, but the common thread seems to run though all our memories is that not only did we all love the Bear, he loved all each of us as much as he did the hobby, his models, or his dog.

I will spare all but one special memory of mine, it was when Doug and I were in the Top 5. He was so proud of us both, he leaned over to me and told me with an emotional voice he said...
"I don't know which of you to cheer for."

Still feeling the loss,

Curt

PS: Gene has already posted some of my favorite photos, I will add one more. A low quality scan of a photo taken of the Bear and me at the 2000 US Team Trials. One day, I hope one day to find the original photo.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2015, 12:52:00 PM by Curt D Contrata »

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #38 on: January 25, 2015, 12:13:58 PM »
I first met Bob, in person,  at the '93 NATS in Lawerenceville, actually about 10pm at the  motel.  He was in front of his room with his pipe.  I had been helping Al Reed replace a speedometer cable in the parking lot when I saw Bob.  He was all I thought he would be from taloking with him on the phone, the consummate Gentleman!

My fondest thought is actually from 1996.  My oldest son was flying in his first NATS.  Aa new model with about a dozen flights.  The engine kept cutting off just before entrance to the wing over.  We changed everything from the plug to the tank!  Everyone was being a big help!  I finally talked Aaron to swap to a back up engine.We got to the L-Pad and set up at a circle waiting in line to see if that would cure it.

The next thing you know it is Bear's turn.  He was aware of the whole story and did something truly unique.  Bear called over to Aaron and signaled over to Aaron to get on the circle!  Of course, no one questioned Bear's move.  He didn't have to do it and that made a real lasting impression on me as to just how great a man Bob Gieseke was.  Doing something very nice for a totally unknown young man!  A memory I will carry forever.

We all miss you Bob, and will continue to as we go to the NATS and other places we saw you.  Always willing to take the time and help some one with his awesome knowledge.  I only wish I had known him better.

RIP Mr. Bob "Bear" Gieseke

Bill Little
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

• New Pilot
« Reply #39 on: January 26, 2015, 08:18:00 AM »
A sincere thank you to those who made it out to the services and celebration of life.  I know it was a HUGE deal to my mom that some of you made the trip and she really wanted me to express how much it meant to her.  It meant a lot to the entire family.

Just for those that were not able to attend, he was laid to rest with a control line handle near his hand for him to use to fly with the man upstairs.  He was stunt 100% for sure.

Advertise Here

Advertise Here