News:

• March 28, 2024, 11:25:07 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Calling all "Experts"  (Read 2898 times)

Offline Gerald Arana

• 23 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Calling all "Experts"
« on: January 17, 2015, 08:57:25 PM »
I'm in the "Get'er ready for paint" stage of my refinish and I can't seem to NOT get dings and scrapes. It is either the corner of the d*&$ paper or my finger nail, which I clipped to prevent this..........didn't work, still got a nail dent.

Anybody have any suggestions? And no, I'm not using my paint stand to sand. Should I be?

Thanks in advance, Jerry

Offline Balsa Butcher

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
  • High Desert Flier
Re: Calling all "Experts"
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2015, 09:24:50 PM »
Hey Jerry, here some suggestions, some serious, some less so. You will have to decide which ones are which: If your finger nails keep nicking the wood (as mine do often) try putting on some oven mitts..or better yet, thin latex gloves. They will cover your nails although may take awhile to get used to.  Make some sanding blocks out of balsa, unlike the great planes aluminum sanding blocks they won't gouge the balsa if you slip. Cut the corners off of the sand paper, ie: round them off so the sharp corners won't dig in. Change sandpaper often. Better workshop lighting. Less adult beverages before and during the building session. Try using the paint stand. And finally, don't sand while watching Fox News on the tube or listening to Rush Limbaugh on the radio. You will only get frustrated and angry and take it out on the poor airplane...especially its left wing. ;D 8)
Pete Cunha
Sacramento CA.
AMA 57499

Offline Howard Rush

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2015, 12:29:31 AM »
Jerry, the Jive Combat Team uses Photoshop to take care of those little dings.  You don't want to overdo it and get the lighting wrong-- just a tiny dab here and there.

Hope this helps.
The Jive Combat Team
Making combat and stunt great again

Offline Gerald Arana

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2015, 09:46:58 AM »
Pete,

Great ideas! Hadn't ought about rounding off the edges of the paper.....

No TV, no radio, and definitely NO adult beverages...............until after building time! LL~ LL~ LL~ LL~ LL~ LL~

See you soon, Jerry

Howard, I'm trying to sand off some weight...... ;D (That I put on) No not me, the airplane LL~

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2015, 06:35:00 PM »
Damp the area and like it come back.
Member in good standing of P.I.S.T
(Politically Incorrect Stunt Team)
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2015, 11:15:45 PM »
Damp the area and like it come back.
Randy,, this reads like some of my texts I send Linda,,
I think you were saying you could dampen the dent,, and it will come back, I use the tip of my monokote iron set on "melt the world",, and a damp papertowell,, to steam it back, but if it has finish ,, it may take a bit more
For years the rat race had me going around in circles, Now I do it for fun!
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2015, 04:21:29 PM »
Yes, Mark. Sorry. Fingers got ahead of my brain (a common problem).
Member in good standing of P.I.S.T
(Politically Incorrect Stunt Team)
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Dennis Toth

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2015, 10:12:33 AM »
Jerry,
The finger nail digging in can be frustrating. It happens to many of my ships when people pick them up with one hand not supporting the whole plane and have to hold it tight with the one hand. Try a two hand grip on the ship as you move it around. The rounded edges on the paper is a good one, also can use a piece of white or blue foam as a block which also keeps it from digging in.

One way to do the sanding without a paint stand is to get a big sheet (4ft by 4 ft) of 4 - 6 inch foam rubber to rest the ship on (Windy did this for all his work on the bench). Some cut out a 1ft square hole in the middle for the canopy to fit through. I use a foam cooler turned upside down with a slot cut across the bottom about 3 inches wide. I have felt taped to cover the surface (you can get the felt at a fabric store) and draped down into the slot. This works similar to the foam rubber pad.

If you want to build an quick paint stand attached is a photo of mine. It is steel pipe from Home Depot on a flange bolted to the base (I have caster wheels on mine) with a section of 3/4" threaded pipe for the support piece with a PVC three way connector the bottom threads into the pipe the top allows for the 1" dowel that forms the plane holder that has an 1/8" plywood plate that bolts to the engine mount installed in a slot at the one end (I have a couple of 4/40 bolts that go through the plate and holder to keep it from sliding around). The PVC three way has coupling ends that allow sliding the holder through and tightening it in any position to get to the top and bottom of the ship.

Best,    DennisT
« Last Edit: February 24, 2022, 04:13:16 PM by Dennis Toth »

Offline Gerald Arana

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2015, 10:30:17 AM »
Dennis,

Thank you for the suggestions. I have foam blocks (3"thick) that I use to set the plane on. I also have a paint stand that I made out of PVC, but just didn't think to use it for sanding! H^^
I guess I'll have to get off my butt and try it!

Cheers, Jerry

Offline Howard Rush

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2015, 02:25:25 PM »
Cool paint stand, Dennis.
The Jive Combat Team
Making combat and stunt great again

Advertise Here
Tags: